• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    lisa_swims wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Well, the question's already been answered so I won't say anything about that.

I will, however, say that I'm jealous of all of you who are getting in the really good Honeycrisps. So far, the ones that have shown up locally have been pretty small and beat up looking. Still tasty, but slim pickings.

I can't even get my hands on these mythical fruits to try them. All the honeycrisps grown in NZ are exported to the US to keep you lot happy in your off season, other than some sold at the orchard gate, which is several hundred kilometres from me on a different island...

I'd never even heard of a honeycrisp apples. Never seen them in the shops here.

They are wonderful. The skin is thin so you don't need to peel them. Koru from NZ are great too!

Don't need to peel any apple unless you have some serious dental issues.

Yeah, who peels apples just for eating?

My wife refuses to eat apples without peeling them...

I don't peel them but I have to cut them up...my teeth are sensitive and hurt if I bite into something hard/cold.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I eat them sliced up, peels and all. One every morning in a zip bag for work breakfast. Plus my one hard boiled egg. Every day since May 2016 when I joined here at the Chub Club.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

I will, however, say that I'm jealous of all of you who are getting in the really good Honeycrisps. So far, the ones that have shown up locally have been pretty small and beat up looking. Still tasty, but slim pickings.

I can't even get my hands on these mythical fruits to try them. All the honeycrisps grown in NZ are exported to the US to keep you lot happy in your off season, other than some sold at the orchard gate, which is several hundred kilometres from me on a different island...

They are wonderful. The skin is thin so you don't need to peel them. Koru from NZ are great too!

Although there was some thread the other day where I learned that some people peel peaches, so MFP is educational.

My husband has to have his peaches peeled - he gets some weird reaction to the skin/fuzz, makes his mouth break out. Very strange.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Apples are approx 80 calories...?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

My wife refuses to eat apples without peeling them...

I don't peel them but I have to cut them up...my teeth are sensitive and hurt if I bite into something hard/cold.

I chop them too. I don't like biting into apples. If I had to peel them, I wouldn't eat them, though -- way too much work. Plus, I think they are better with the peels.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Although there was some thread the other day where I learned that some people peel peaches, so MFP is educational.

The last time I ate a red "delicious" I had to spit out most of the skin, so I wished I'd peeled it. Actually, I wished I hadn't eaten it in the first place. #Honeycrisps4Life

Red delicious are just plain awful throughout. spongy tastelessness. I usually stick with the 99c/lb Empires..although I'll be buying a larger variety on my next grocery run...'tis the season where a bunch of varieties are 99c/lb at my usual store.
    h496ogp9q4o2.png
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I rarely chop or peel anything that has an edible peel. If it's not going into a salad I don't bother with chopping. Even when I feel like eating lettuce I just put the whole thing in a bowl and pull leaves off the stalk as I eat. Yes, I'm that lazy.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Apples are approx 80 calories...?

Tiny ones. Not the ones I eat - usually mine are around 100-150 or so and I try and pick the smaller size ones at the store.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

The last time I ate a red "delicious" I had to spit out most of the skin, so I wished I'd peeled it. Actually, I wished I hadn't eaten it in the first place. #Honeycrisps4Life

Red delicious are just plain awful throughout. spongy tastelessness. I usually stick with the 99c/lb Empires..although I'll be buying a larger variety on my next grocery run...'tis the season where a bunch of varieties are 99c/lb at my usual store.
    h496ogp9q4o2.png

Ug, you said it. I was at a catered lunch event and figured I'd see if they were as bad as I remembered. They were.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I love Jonagolds. Haven't seen them around much lately. And I'm curious to try winesaps, but I don't see them in Toronto. (I've read about them and they sound intriguing). Mostly, I cook/bake with golden delicious and granny smiths. I eat honeycrisps, crispens, and galas. And when I'm making an applesauce, it's 3lbs worth of assorted.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I love Jonagolds. Haven't seen them around much lately. And I'm curious to try winesaps, but I don't see them in Toronto. (I've read about them and they sound intriguing). Mostly, I cook/bake with golden delicious and granny smiths. I eat honeycrisps, crispens, and galas. And when I'm making an applesauce, it's 3lbs worth of assorted.

I'm not a huge fan of winesaps out of hand but they are ridiculously good for baking. They have a nice tart flavor and hold their shape very well.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    The thing that's been bumming me out about the apple selection lately is that my other favorite, Pink Lady, hasn't been looking so snazzy either.

It's Fall, and I want a really good apple, is that too much to ask?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    The thing that's been bumming me out about the apple selection lately is that my other favorite, Pink Lady, hasn't been looking so snazzy either.

It may be fall, but it still feels like summer here! Not sure if that has any effect on the apple harvest though. Particularly since I don't live in a big apple-producing area :tongue:

I am adding honeycrisp apples to my grocery list because of this thread.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

it was very dry here this summer so not sure how we will fare for apples this year.

Heading to the orchard this weekend to pick up some honeycrisp...crossing my fingers.
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    And I'm curious to try winesaps, but I don't see them in Toronto. (I've read about them and they sound intriguing).

Winesaps are also called Staymans sometimes. If you see Staymans, they're the same variety.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I had to Google, because I'd heard of their legendariness here. They seem to be pretty particular about their climate, so not many orchards here growing them, and as I said, almost all go to export. Tis fine, we have plenty of awesome apple varieties in NZ (which you Aussies can now finally enjoy too!!).

This Canadian would like to thank you for Royal Galas!

You are most welcome :)

I lived in Australia very briefly 7 years ago, when the ban on NZ apples was still in existence there, and their apples are crap (admittedly it was the off season, so they had been in cold store, but you can get a good apple here anytime). I actually inadvertently smuggled an apple in in one of my boxes of stuff, could smell it as soon as I opened the box. The quarantine sniffer dog either failed miserably or never went anywhere near my consignment!

Hands down favourite apple is Cox's orange pippin, really short season so one of those things to look forward to when I can get my wee hands on them. Otherwise I'll usually reach for the Eves or Braeburns. I have an apple tree in my backyard, no idea what variety as it had done its dash when I moved here earlier in the year, so that's something exciting to look forward to!