Apples...a zero calorie food??

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    vcoshatt wrote: »
    Honestly, I have never seen people binging on apples and gaining weight from eating too many of them. I would not worry about it as long as you are eating fresh apples with no sugar added (pies, etc. ).

If my deficit is 250 calories, adding a large apple to my day could be enough to wipe out my deficit if I don't log it or consider it as having calories. You don't have to binge on apples to have them impact your weight loss. It's possible to eat enough in a day of a variety of foods, including apples, to have an impact.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I have never seen people binging on apples and gaining weight from eating too many of them. I would not worry about it as long as you are eating fresh apples with no sugar added (pies, etc. ).

If my deficit is 250 calories, adding a large apple to my day could be enough to wipe out my deficit if I don't log it or consider it as having calories. You don't have to binge on apples to have them impact your weight loss. It's possible to eat enough in a day of a variety of foods, including apples, to have an impact.

Yep, me too. I'm on a diet break at the moment before heading back in for the pesky last 4 lbs at a 250 deficit (actually, 350 weekdays and maintenance at the weekends). Apples are one of the things I've added to increase my calories, and I'll likely keep them in there because I have room and they're a handy 100 cal snack (I'm very good at getting to the end of the day and going 'I have ~100 cals left, what the hell am I meant to do with that??').
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options

Just curious, but how many people do you see binging on apples day after day?
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Honey crisps are the best apples. The apple season hasn't really started here yet, but maybe next week.
  • sifmole
    sifmole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    lisa_swims wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Well, the question's already been answered so I won't say anything about that.

I will, however, say that I'm jealous of all of you who are getting in the really good Honeycrisps. So far, the ones that have shown up locally have been pretty small and beat up looking. Still tasty, but slim pickings.

I can't even get my hands on these mythical fruits to try them. All the honeycrisps grown in NZ are exported to the US to keep you lot happy in your off season, other than some sold at the orchard gate, which is several hundred kilometres from me on a different island...

I'd never even heard of a honeycrisp apples. Never seen them in the shops here.

They are wonderful. The skin is thin so you don't need to peel them. Koru from NZ are great too!

Don't need to peel any apple unless you have some serious dental issues.

Yeah, who peels apples just for eating?

Although there was some thread the other day where I learned that some people peel peaches, so MFP is educational.

My husband has to have his peaches peeled - he gets some weird reaction to the skin/fuzz, makes his mouth break out. Very strange.

This is likely due to allergies to pollen. I get the same thing sometimes from fresh fruit. Washing the fruit quite thoroughly can often help.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I will, however, say that I'm jealous of all of you who are getting in the really good Honeycrisps. So far, the ones that have shown up locally have been pretty small and beat up looking. Still tasty, but slim pickings.

I can't even get my hands on these mythical fruits to try them. All the honeycrisps grown in NZ are exported to the US to keep you lot happy in your off season, other than some sold at the orchard gate, which is several hundred kilometres from me on a different island...

I had to Google, because I'd heard of their legendariness here. They seem to be pretty particular about their climate, so not many orchards here growing them, and as I said, almost all go to export. Tis fine, we have plenty of awesome apple varieties in NZ (which you Aussies can now finally enjoy too!!).

This Canadian would like to thank you for Royal Galas!

You are most welcome :)

I lived in Australia very briefly 7 years ago, when the ban on NZ apples was still in existence there, and their apples are crap (admittedly it was the off season, so they had been in cold store, but you can get a good apple here anytime). I actually inadvertently smuggled an apple in in one of my boxes of stuff, could smell it as soon as I opened the box. The quarantine sniffer dog either failed miserably or never went anywhere near my consignment!

Hands down favourite apple is Cox's orange pippin, really short season so one of those things to look forward to when I can get my wee hands on them. Otherwise I'll usually reach for the Eves or Braeburns. I have an apple tree in my backyard, no idea what variety as it had done its dash when I moved here earlier in the year, so that's something exciting to look forward to!

This could be why i don't particularly like apples.. Our Aussie apples suck, plus they just make me more hungry. The last apple i had was floury, dry and gross. I don't bother with them anymore.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I had to Google, because I'd heard of their legendariness here. They seem to be pretty particular about their climate, so not many orchards here growing them, and as I said, almost all go to export. Tis fine, we have plenty of awesome apple varieties in NZ (which you Aussies can now finally enjoy too!!).

I lived in Australia very briefly 7 years ago, when the ban on NZ apples was still in existence there, and their apples are crap (admittedly it was the off season, so they had been in cold store, but you can get a good apple here anytime). I actually inadvertently smuggled an apple in in one of my boxes of stuff, could smell it as soon as I opened the box. The quarantine sniffer dog either failed miserably or never went anywhere near my consignment!

Hands down favourite apple is Cox's orange pippin, really short season so one of those things to look forward to when I can get my wee hands on them. Otherwise I'll usually reach for the Eves or Braeburns. I have an apple tree in my backyard, no idea what variety as it had done its dash when I moved here earlier in the year, so that's something exciting to look forward to!

This could be why i don't particularly like apples.. Our Aussie apples suck, plus they just make me more hungry. The last apple i had was floury, dry and gross. I don't bother with them anymore.

Get some NZ ones Christine. Jazz are renowned for their juicy, crispy quality, cross between a braeburn and royal gala. And as I said, Eves are delish, braeburn heritage, not sure if they're crossed with something or just tinkered with in other ways.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Get some NZ ones Christine. Jazz are renowned for their juicy, crispy quality, cross between a braeburn and royal gala. And as I said, Eves are delish, braeburn heritage, not sure if they're crossed with something or just tinkered with in other ways.

Thankyou :smile: . I shall look for those varieties next time I'm at the fruit n veg shop.

• jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Check out this Wikipedia link; looks like there is no such thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative-calorie_food

"Despite its recurring popularity in dieting guides, there is no scientific evidence supporting the idea that any food is calorically negative."

"Celery has a thermic effect of around 8%, much less than the 100% or more required for a food to have "negative calories". A stalk of celery provides 6 calories to the body, but the body expends only half of a single calorie digesting it.[2] Even proteins, which require the most energy to digest, have a thermic energy of only 20%–30%.[2]"

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Apple trees are very hardy and handle heat well, but this summer has been the hottest in years for us. We have two trees and this year they're so small you can fit 4 in one hand despite taking care of them just the same. Still very delicious (and yes, I do have to deploy my brakes with apples because I CAN and do sometimes overeat them - our apples are so flavorful and there is a something addicting about freshly picked apples).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Here's my favorite apple baked goods recipe: Mrs. Cheney’s Nobby Apple Cake

There's a high amount of apples to flour and sugar, and the apples don't really mix in well, but it all bakes up great.

Oh, and for you pumpkin spice aficionados and haters, that's what I've been using instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg since before pumpkin spice was a thing ;)

Here's an article on baking apples and their different properties: http://www.midwestliving.com/food/fruits-veggies/great-apples-for-baking/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Favorite apple cookbooks of mine -- picked it up at some farm I visited years ago, although I'm sure it can be bought at amazon or a bookstore somewhere. Warning: nothing is 0 calorie, although there are some baked apple recipes.

0i5a9s961nnq.jpg

0otjiiogci1t.jpg

1nhpwmw7n3vj.jpg

pqwnr1cp0isi.jpg
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    the only apples I like are granny smiths
  • AlexandraWk89
    AlexandraWk89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh certainly not. They are low kcal so if I'm desperate I just have an apple. But soon after my notification is screaming- you had too much sugar! :D I really need to watch myself with fruit. Good sugar is still sugar ;)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If anyone wants zero kcal meal I'd offer some ice cube salad ;)

maybe off topic but this reminds me of when my bestie was having her baby they tried getting her to suck on icecubes and she was just screaming at them to eat the dang icecubes and bring her a burger LOL
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Oh certainly not. They are low kcal so if I'm desperate I just have an apple. But soon after my notification is screaming- you had too much sugar! :D I really need to watch myself with fruit. Good sugar is still sugar ;)

Do you have a medical reason to restrict sugar?
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    The last time I ate a red "delicious" I had to spit out most of the skin, so I wished I'd peeled it. Actually, I wished I hadn't eaten it in the first place. #Honeycrisps4Life

I have two apple trees that were planted by a previous owner; the local ciderers think that they may be Mackintosh and Red Delicious, but if one is Delicious, it has nothing to do with the apples marketed under that name. Maybe benign neglect is good. We got over 300 pounds of apples from the two trees this year.
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda weird. I love apples. My favorite snack. Always have been. But I hate apple foods, like apple pie,applesauce, Carmel apples ect. Anyway a big fat granny smith Is where it at!