Calories are NOT the enemy!

Options
What I mean by this, is that there are good calories and of course, there are bad ones too. What gets my shorts in a knot is hearing people say, "Oh, I shouldn't get that food because it has too many calories". When I hear that, it tells me that their perception of calories is not correct, which in turn could really affect their eating habits. It is those people who I believe know they are not eating well to begin with.

I'm going to take this in a different direction now, and mention that there is a significant difference between 'disordered eating' and 'eating disorders'. If you have never thought about the difference between the two, I ask that you research what the differences are. Both are a concern, but one can be deadly if not treated immediately.

The reason why I went in another direction with that, is because there are so many people out there with a disordered sense of what they can and can't eat, based on how many calories might be labeled next to that particular item. Yes, there are foods that have bad fats in them. Yes, there are foods that have bad sugars in them. But, if you are managing your weekly meals to make sure you are consuming enough fruit, vegetables, protein, and all the other necessary nutrients, why can you not indulge in a treat for yourself once in a while? Personally, for me, it's called 'sanity'. I enjoy a beer when I want one. I enjoy pizza, because it's SO DAMN GOOD!! And, I definitely enjoy a good ice cream cone, especially during the summer months. With that said, I don't eat these sanity foods all the time, as I do understand what effects it would have on my body if I ate them regularly. The important thing is that I like to treat myself from time-to-time, and I don't feel guilty about it. And neither should you.

The point is, if you are reading the calories on a menu item, and those numbers deter you from enjoying yourself, it may be time to re-evaluate what really makes you happy. Personally, if you are healthy, that is all that matters. I know not everyone will agree with me on this, but at the end of the day if you are happy with all that you do in life, then keep on smiling.

Replies

• CyclingRoadie6
    CyclingRoadie6 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    I am not entirely sure what you are getting at here. Calories are not an enemy per se, nor is food. However, like many other situations in life anything in excess can become problematic. For our purposes here, excess calories cause excess weight. This is why MFP exists: to track calories and avoid this excess. People who ignore calories do so at their own peril.

For the record, I drink beer and eat pizza on occasion also, but I do so with the full knowledge of what the implications of those additional calories are. This is why such occasions are infrequent.

I don't disagree with you, but I did not say that food is the enemy. In fact what I said was, we should enjoy it, but stop complaining when you see the calorie count next to the menu item.

MFP is good for those who have things managed well. I'd be curious to know the percentages of those who actually micro-manage their calorie tracking. For the most part I think MFP is used for accountability and motivation, which is great in itself, and has helped many people.