lose 200lbs in less then a year ?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    You've taken the first step by logging your breakfast! Keep logging and you'll find the weight falling off! Don't make it too complicated. All you need to do to start is eat at a calorie deficit. Do you have a food scale? They are only about $20.
  • jondspen
    jondspen Posts: 253 Member
    As other's have said, 2 lbs a week is pretty intense weight loss, but that is for 'normal' overweight (if there is such a thing). Since you're pushing close to 500lbs, it may be possible, but I would be concerned about the shock and negative effects that may happen to your body.

I would defiantly get under the guidance of medical professionals (doctors, nutritionists, trainers). Don't know if you can lose the whole 200 in a year, but 100 is very do-able, and I would guess that 150+ wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    bjcrewe wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    bjcrewe wrote: »
    I am 489lbs i cant stand for more then 15mins without my back killing me, my whole body hurts like all the time.

I know it wont be easy at this point in my life i need to do something or i dont think ill be around much more then a year.

If anyone can give me any tips i would be greatfull.

I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. My tip would be to not set a time limit on weight loss, but to input your numbers here on MFP and stick to the calorie goal. You don't need to exercise to lose weight, just be in a calorie deficit. The hardest part is just getting started, getting past the first hurdles of "what's the use?" mentality. Every pound you lose is one pound closer to a better quality of life for you, so put one foot in front of the other and march forward! I wish you the very best of luck :)

I know setting a time limit is bad all that. I know it my sound odd but i want to be able to start training for a spartan race next year i know its more then likely never going to happen but its a goal to try to work to all the same.

That's a great goal! You don't need to reach a particular weight goal to start your training, start now with the little bit of movement you are comfortable doing (walking slowly for 10 minutes, for instance, stopping before your back starts hurting badly), and extending the time as your weight goes down. I think if you set a goal like 200 lbs. in x amount of time you will impact your motivation for both continuing to lose weight and training for your Spartan if you fail to lose weight at that rate.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Given your weight, when you start and really focus on eating at a deficit you will probably lose a decent amount of weight fairly fast. But as the pounds go down, they do start to slow down. Dont let the goal of 200 in a year become the be all end all. Even if you dont hit your goal I think the plan to try and train for a Spartan race would be fantastic! Ive seen so many people of all different sizes do that race and races like it and it's all about doing YOUR best. You got this, I'm really proud of you for deciding to start.