lose 200lbs in less then a year ?

Options

Replies

• DaniMerc72
    DaniMerc72 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice that someone else hasn't already given, but I just wanted to say hello, and tell you don't ever give up. You are worth the time and effort it takes to get healthier. Take everything one step at a time...one day at a time, one meal at a time, hell--even one HOUR at a time sometimes if you have to, but never ever give up! I used to get really frustrated watching people around me that were getting healthier or dropping weight faster than I was, and then I realized that the only person you can ever compare yourself to is YOU--so celebrate your successes, and if you slip up, don't beat yourself up--just get back on track and try again. You can do it!
  • asviles
    asviles Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Check this bad boy out. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Pedal-Exerciser-Vive-Equipment/dp/B01G8ZU2N0/ref=sr_1_7_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1506625167&sr=8-7&keywords=peddler+exerciser&th=1

I bought one of these for my couch and my desk at work. I refuse to watch tv without using it. As a result I get an extra 2-3 hours of exercise a day at no impact to my joints. Just get some wd-40 cause it can squeak. This plus weighing my food has had me drop almost 40 pounds in about 100 days.
  • hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I am to heave for a scale i needs to go to the hospital to get my weight. I do have a dog but i dont think he will walk far.

[/quote]

Good luck. Keep your calorie at what they set. So on those days you do feel like you need something else you will know that you are still in deficient. (It will happen) The more your dog gets use to walking the longer you will walk. You may start with just a lap around the block but before you know it you will be two blocks. Measure your self since you need to weigh in at the hospital. You can keep yourself on track that way then weigh in every so often at the hospital.

Good luck. With time you may be running that race after all. Even if it is in two years instead of 1.
  • bjcrewe
    bjcrewe Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    asviles wrote: »
    Check this bad boy out. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Pedal-Exerciser-Vive-Equipment/dp/B01G8ZU2N0/ref=sr_1_7_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1506625167&sr=8-7&keywords=peddler+exerciser&th=1

I bought one of these for my couch and my desk at work. I refuse to watch tv without using it. As a result I get an extra 2-3 hours of exercise a day at no impact to my joints. Just get some wd-40 cause it can squeak. This plus weighing my food has had me drop almost 40 pounds in about 100 days.

This thing would be awesome if i could spare the money to buy it. But by time pays bills and and that fun stuff most months have to relive on food banks.

• EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    bjcrewe wrote: »
    jesslla wrote: »
    I had a $200 a month food budget for two people, so this post will be long, but full of everything I learned about shopping and cooking for more nutrient dense foods on a shoestring.

I'm in the US so I doubt this chain of stores exists up in Canada, but if you have a WinCo check out their bulk foods section. If WinCo doesn't exist there are sure to be other stores with bulk food sections, you just have to look for them. I have to drive thirty minutes to get to WinCo, but I save enough money that it's worth it.

I eat about 50 grams of oatmeal every other morning for breakfast. A box of the cheap oatmeal at my local HEB is 2.50 and weighs, oh maybe a pound. Lasts about a month if I eat oatmeal daily.

WinCo had a 25 pound bag of oatmeal for $15. I had to buy a five gallon bucket to put it in, but now I have oatmeal for a *year*. I put a smaller amount in an old HEB oatmeal box so I'm not fighting with a fine gallon bucket every day.

Oatmeal can be used to make vegetarian burgers. It's a good source of long lasting fuel for breakfast. And it's cheap, especially if you can find a deal like I did.

If you have a crockpot buy dry beans instead of canned. A pound of dry beans costs as much as one can and will make like four cans worth of beans.

Throw a pound of beans (or two if you have a six-eight quart pot) in the pot, fill the pot half-three quarters full of water, cook on high four-six hours. Don't even have to soak the beans. I do recommend looking though the beans for stones that might get mixed in with the dry beans. Also throw out any beans that look "funny". And rinsing is a good idea, but soaking isn't needed. Unless you're prone you gas from beans, then just soak them overnight in the fridge. Drain the water before cooking.

Portion the beans into freezer containers with a little juice and freeze for up to six months. Get a roll of freezer tape (regular tape won't work, the adhesive won't stick in the freezer) and label your container so you know what it is in six months! Thaw in the microwave.

Buy rice in bulk. If you have an Asian store near you they usually have really good rice (i like jasmine) at GOOD prices. 25 pound bags for like $18. That's a years worth of rice.

Rice is easy to cook in the microwave. Throw two cups of rice in a two quart glass bowl. Cover the rice with water, oh about half an inch or so. You'll learn how much water to use, and err on the side of too much at first. You can always drain it in a colander. Microwave it for ten minutes. The water should be absorbed by now, but it needs more. Add about a cup, cup and a half. I'm not real exact on this. Again, better to have too much. Microwave for five more minutes. Done. If there's excess water (there probably won't be) drain in a colander. This makes a lot of rice. Rice keeps well in the fridge, just add a bit of water for steam (a few tablespoons, not much), and microwave for a few minutes.

Rice and beans go well together and are a "complete protien". That means they combibe to have all the amino acids your body needs to be healthy.

If that's too much rice for you find a friend and go in with them on it, save you both some money.

Frozen veggies are usually just as good as fresh and usually cheaper. Avoid canned veggies, the canning process cooks the veggies and the flavor isn't as good. They also add a lot of salt to most canned veggies. Some veggies dint freeze well, I don't like frozen summer squash. It gets soggy.

Buy big bags of veggies, they are usually cheaper per ounce than the smaller ones. Always look at the price per unit or per ounce to see what the better deal is and get the best deal you can 1. Afford 2. Store 3. Use before it goes bad.

Don't buy too much. If the price per unit days the biggest bottle of sour cream is the cheapest, but you only need sour cream for one meal that week and the rest will go bad, it's obviously not a better deal. That's a duh, but I wanted to say it anyway, because it's a lesson I learned the hard way by throwing out a LOT of food.

Likewise, if you don't eat leftovers (I hate leftovers) scale down your recipes to make only one serving. MFP recipe builder makes that easy enough and calculates the calories for you.

I think that's enough for now. Your poor head is probably spinning and going "does this girl ever shut up?" ;)

I hope this helps a little.

There is a wholesale store about 3 hours from me. My food budget is like 300 a month for 4 people and 3 dogs.

I buy a big bag of Jasmine rice for like 18$ but it ant a lifetime supply. Rice is a staple of my life.

Three hours is way too far for wholesale foods! That sucks.

Are there any food co-ops in the area? Like my mother-in-law orders huge things of various healthy foods (she's entirely plant based and more organized than I'll ever be!), we're talking 50 pounds of nuts at a time huge, and splits them up with church members who also want them, but can't afford/store/use 50 pounds of nuts.

I have no idea where you'd find one of these. I'm not preaching, but my MIL is Seventh-day Adventist and they are HUGE into health, albeit with an emphasis on vegetarianism as the best way to be healthy, if there's a church of thiers nearby you might call the office and ask if they know of any programs like that. They might preach at you a little, but most of them are nice enough to accept "no thanks, just here for the food" as an answer.
  • bjcrewe
    Options
    I had a $200 a month food budget for two people, so this post will be long, but full of everything I learned about shopping and cooking for more nutrient dense foods on a shoestring.

I'm in the US so I doubt this chain of stores exists up in Canada, but if you have a WinCo check out their bulk foods section. If WinCo doesn't exist there are sure to be other stores with bulk food sections, you just have to look for them. I have to drive thirty minutes to get to WinCo, but I save enough money that it's worth it.

I eat about 50 grams of oatmeal every other morning for breakfast. A box of the cheap oatmeal at my local HEB is 2.50 and weighs, oh maybe a pound. Lasts about a month if I eat oatmeal daily.

WinCo had a 25 pound bag of oatmeal for $15. I had to buy a five gallon bucket to put it in, but now I have oatmeal for a *year*. I put a smaller amount in an old HEB oatmeal box so I'm not fighting with a fine gallon bucket every day.

Oatmeal can be used to make vegetarian burgers. It's a good source of long lasting fuel for breakfast. And it's cheap, especially if you can find a deal like I did.

If you have a crockpot buy dry beans instead of canned. A pound of dry beans costs as much as one can and will make like four cans worth of beans.

Throw a pound of beans (or two if you have a six-eight quart pot) in the pot, fill the pot half-three quarters full of water, cook on high four-six hours. Don't even have to soak the beans. I do recommend looking though the beans for stones that might get mixed in with the dry beans. Also throw out any beans that look "funny". And rinsing is a good idea, but soaking isn't needed. Unless you're prone you gas from beans, then just soak them overnight in the fridge. Drain the water before cooking.

Portion the beans into freezer containers with a little juice and freeze for up to six months. Get a roll of freezer tape (regular tape won't work, the adhesive won't stick in the freezer) and label your container so you know what it is in six months! Thaw in the microwave.

Buy rice in bulk. If you have an Asian store near you they usually have really good rice (i like jasmine) at GOOD prices. 25 pound bags for like $18. That's a years worth of rice.

Rice is easy to cook in the microwave. Throw two cups of rice in a two quart glass bowl. Cover the rice with water, oh about half an inch or so. You'll learn how much water to use, and err on the side of too much at first. You can always drain it in a colander. Microwave it for ten minutes. The water should be absorbed by now, but it needs more. Add about a cup, cup and a half. I'm not real exact on this. Again, better to have too much. Microwave for five more minutes. Done. If there's excess water (there probably won't be) drain in a colander. This makes a lot of rice. Rice keeps well in the fridge, just add a bit of water for steam (a few tablespoons, not much), and microwave for a few minutes.

Rice and beans go well together and are a "complete protien". That means they combibe to have all the amino acids your body needs to be healthy.

If that's too much rice for you find a friend and go in with them on it, save you both some money.

Frozen veggies are usually just as good as fresh and usually cheaper. Avoid canned veggies, the canning process cooks the veggies and the flavor isn't as good. They also add a lot of salt to most canned veggies. Some veggies dint freeze well, I don't like frozen summer squash. It gets soggy.

Buy big bags of veggies, they are usually cheaper per ounce than the smaller ones. Always look at the price per unit or per ounce to see what the better deal is and get the best deal you can 1. Afford 2. Store 3. Use before it goes bad.

Don't buy too much. If the price per unit days the biggest bottle of sour cream is the cheapest, but you only need sour cream for one meal that week and the rest will go bad, it's obviously not a better deal. That's a duh, but I wanted to say it anyway, because it's a lesson I learned the hard way by throwing out a LOT of food.

Likewise, if you don't eat leftovers (I hate leftovers) scale down your recipes to make only one serving. MFP recipe builder makes that easy enough and calculates the calories for you.

I think that's enough for now. Your poor head is probably spinning and going "does this girl ever shut up?" ;)

There is a wholesale store about 3 hours from me. My food budget is like 300 a month for 4 people and 3 dogs.

I buy a big bag of Jasmine rice for like 18$ but it ant a lifetime supply. Rice is a staple of my life.

Are there any food co-ops in the area? Like my mother-in-law orders huge things of various healthy foods (she's entirely plant based and more organized than I'll ever be!), we're talking 50 pounds of nuts at a time huge, and splits them up with church members who also want them, but can't afford/store/use 50 pounds of nuts.

I have no idea where you'd find one of these. I'm not preaching, but my MIL is Seventh-day Adventist and they are HUGE into health, albeit with an emphasis on vegetarianism as the best way to be healthy, if there's a church of thiers nearby you might call the office and ask if they know of any programs like that. They might preach at you a little, but most of them are nice enough to accept "no thanks, just here for the food" as an answer.

Deatly allergic to nuts. As for church/church groups its not for me lost faith many many years ago (seems to get sick if i enter a church not sure what that is about). We visit our local food bank when need be but we try not to unless no other choice.
  • EatingAndKnitting
    Options

Deatly allergic to nuts. As for church/church groups its not for me lost faith many many years ago (seems to get sick if i enter a church not sure what that is about). We visit our local food bank when need be but we try not to unless no other choice.

I understand and feel the same way about churches myself. It was just an idea I'd thought I'd throw out there in case it could help. (Seriously, if I'm too "helpful" or annoying, just tell me to shut up. I won't be offended.) :)

• EatingAndKnitting
    Options
    Good deal!

Keep that thought going, because there will be days (lots of them) when you won't feel motivated. Theres a real honeymoon phase to a lifestyle change, once you get past that is when the hard work comes in.

It's okay to take some days off too, as long as you come back. I took three-four months off this this summer, and it was the right thing to do. I knew I'd come back and didn't go crazy, just didn't track for a while.
  • bjcrewe
    Options
    If you have Paypal, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll be glad to send you $40 to buy that exercise machine

No i don't. i had it but someone hacked my account and i lost every bit of money that was in my account.