10/23/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 40.2
    10/24/17 :::: 6.0 :::: 46.2
    10/25/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 49.3
    10/26/17 :::: 2.3 :::: 51.6
    10/27/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 51.6
    10/28/17 :::: 7.6 :::: 59.2
    10/29/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 62.3
    10/30/17 :::: 2.7 :::: 65.0

I stopped at the Y on the way home today and got a quick treadmill run in. It's been a long time since I've done the treadmill, and I just kept thinking, is it always this painful? My feet and my knees just felt like I was pounding.

One more day left for October, as my goal was only to not quite running after my HM on Oct 1, I have exceeded that. I will have to come up with a goal for November. I have another HM on Nov 12 so I know I'll get that much at least :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Also, for @PastorVincent (or anyone that's interested), my app was approved by Garmin, and is available here.

Cool, grabbed it to look at later.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB you are truly an inspiration.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    LOL Garmin is trying to butter me up for something...
    Your VO₂ Max is 49 which is excellent for men ages 40-49. Your fitness age is that of an excellent 20 year old. That's the top 15% for your age and gender.

Color me a bit skeptical :lol:

For another good laugh, take a look at Garmin's race predictor. It fluctuates over time, but tends toward the comical. Here's what it says for me today:

xrrd6brl98ht.jpg

FWIW, my actual PR 5K was 19:07. Actual PR HM was 1:28:49. These predictions can happen if someone really good borrows my bib.
  • PastorVincent
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @MobyCarp Looks like I am ready to try for Boston!

6twx2j0an7kp.jpg

actually, scratch that... still not fast enough! :lol:
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options

6twx2j0an7kp.jpg

So I am curious about this as my results too are way over estimated. Do I have a setting incorrect such as my HR? My Zones? etc. Or is this just the way it is?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »

6twx2j0an7kp.jpg

So I am curious about this as my results too are way over estimated. Do I have a setting incorrect such as my HR? My Zones? etc. Or is this just the way it is?

It's pretty much the way it is, stupid programming. Garmin thinks my PR mile is 5:31, because GPS ticked a mile before I finished running the McMullen Mile race; and it predicts I can run a 5K at a faster pace than that. Flattering to the point of stupidity or humor, depending on your attitude.

This came to my attention when an online friend posted his with a comment about not knowing why he was busting his butt in marathon training, just send the numbers to BAA and he's in. A slower online friend reported that Garmin predicted a 24 minute 5K, when in reality she can't hold an 8 minute mile pace for more than 200 meters.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    To add to the Garmin predictor humor:
    5k: 19:11
    10k: 39:48
    HM: 1:28:04
    M: 3:03:41

The 5k predictor is a faster average than my 1 mile PR, which I set tonight at 6:40 for the mile. My Garminthinks way too highly of me.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Well @MNLittleFinn according to Garmin you'd destroy me on the full :D
  • PastorVincent
    Options

6twx2j0an7kp.jpg

Well Garmin says...
    For the most accurate estimate, complete the user profile setup , and set your maximum heart rate.

Your device uses the VO2 max. estimate and published data sources to provide a target race time based on your current state of fitness. This projection also presumes you have completed the proper training for the race.

So there you go. Now you know. Oh how does it get VO2 you ask? Well...
    VO2 max. is the maximum volume of oxygen (in milliliters) you can consume per minute per kilogram of body weight at your maximum performance. In simple terms, VO2 max. is an indication of athletic performance and should increase as your level of fitness improves. The Forerunner® device requires wrist-based heart rate or a compatible chest heart rate monitor to display your VO2 max. estimate. The device has separate VO2 max. estimates for running and cycling. You must run either outside with GPS or ride with a compatible power meter at a moderate level of intensity for several minutes to get an accurate VO2 max. estimate.

VO2 max. data and analysis is provided with permission from The Cooper Institute®. For more information, see the appendix, and go to www.CooperInstitute.org.

So does that clear it up? :smiley:
  • kevaasen
    Options

6twx2j0an7kp.jpg

Well Garmin says...
    For the most accurate estimate, complete the user profile setup , and set your maximum heart rate.

Your device uses the VO2 max. estimate and published data sources to provide a target race time based on your current state of fitness. This projection also presumes you have completed the proper training for the race.

So there you go. Now you know. Oh how does it get VO2 you ask? Well...
    VO2 max. is the maximum volume of oxygen (in milliliters) you can consume per minute per kilogram of body weight at your maximum performance. In simple terms, VO2 max. is an indication of athletic performance and should increase as your level of fitness improves. The Forerunner® device requires wrist-based heart rate or a compatible chest heart rate monitor to display your VO2 max. estimate. The device has separate VO2 max. estimates for running and cycling. You must run either outside with GPS or ride with a compatible power meter at a moderate level of intensity for several minutes to get an accurate VO2 max. estimate.

VO2 max. data and analysis is provided with permission from The Cooper Institute®. For more information, see the appendix, and go to www.CooperInstitute.org.

So does that clear it up? :smiley:

Um sure...Makes complete sense now ...I wasn’t measuring in milliliters!
  • kevaasen
    Options
    Also IF I ever get to the predicted times for HM or Full as stated today, it will only then adjust my estimates to even more crazy numbers that I will say are inconceivable :D That said, If in two years I am running a 3:15 Full I will believe everything and anything my garmin wishes tells me.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So for kicks, Iooked at my HR data for the last year in Apple Health. My highest recorded HR is 212! So I guess that is probably my "real" max heart rate?
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Ummmm so... between the process that running currently is -ankle brace, no treadmill, stop if it even niggles, etc orders still in place... schedule... and the fact that running buddy and I are fair weather runners at best, and she is single momming it currently with a hubby in ND... so we are fair weather runners with a good excuse now (not dragging little kids out in this, right???) yeah, not even going to make the pitiful 15 mile goal....

but...in other news... Bench 5x5@100, squat 5x5 @ 115, and deadlift 5x5 @185 (this means I have a bodyweight+ lift even at my current, fluffier, non running weight!!!) So, not running, but I have been doing stuffs, kind of.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    6.7 night time miles on urban trails while my son had basketball practice. This was a solo run so my rest day tomorrow will likely turn into a 4 or 5 mile run to get Kody some work.

The worst part of the run was when I went to take a shower. I wasn't careful taking off my tights and ended up ripping them. Dangit!!! Off to find another pair!

81.9 miles out of a 110 mile goal
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    October 27th — 4.25 miles
    October 28th — off
    October 29th — skipped planned long run to go shopping with my Mom (totally worth skipping a run)
    October 30th — 4.14 miles

October total 72.46/75 miles

So I skipped another long run (for me this means 90 minutes or longer), but I got to hang out with my Mom so it was worth it. Very close to my mileage goal, but meeting it requires either running after dark tomorrow on Halloween and potentially scaring kids with my stompy clomping or running on the treadmill for 2.54 miles and neither sounds particularly appealing. So it looks like I’ll probably miss my goal by about 2.5 miles. I’m okay with that.

exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    October 2017

08 Oct – 4 km
    10 Oct – 5.6 km
    15 Oct - Melbourne Half Marathon Run 4 Refugees – 21.1 km
    19 Oct – 3 km
    21 Oct – 10.6 km including Ballarat parkrun
    24 Oct – 9 km
    26 Oct – 10.3 km
    27 Oct – 5 km Hawaiians Love S.P.A.M.
    28 Oct – 5 km parkrun
    29 Oct – 13 km
    31 Oct – 6.7 km

Total: 93 km

Goal: Complete upcoming events.

Oct 14 – Hawaiians Love S.P.A.M. (Skin Protection Against Melanoma) Virtual 5K Walk/Run. DONE!
    Oct 15 – Melbourne Half Marathon Run 4 Refugees – 21.1 km. DONE!
    Nov 5 – The Bloody Long Walk 35 km

T'was a good month, event-wise, if not distance-wise.

Did parkrun at 3 different venues, plus will do another different one this coming Saturday.