10/23- Recovery
    10/24- Recovery
    10/25- Recovery

Total Miles: 153.5
    Total Elevation: 2746

October goal: Survive 100k training taper and Wild Duluth 100k
    Nominal Mileage goal: 100 miles.
    Elevation goal: 15000ft

Today's notes: Feeling like I've been lazy the last 4 days. Not running, despite feeling tired, is really hard. I'm missing my normal routine. Right upper calf/ behind knee is still bugging me, but it's not enough to stop me from walking or anything like that. Massage tomorrow should help with my muscles. I might try a run on Saturday. I figure a week off after my nasty experience, is called for. Starting to look at getting a coach for training for my next race, but with where I am, it would be online, so I'm not so sure about shelling out the $$$ for it, even though a structured and supported training cycle would probably be a good idea, since I half assed my 100k training.

Hope everyone is having a Runderful day!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon 6:24:36
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k 18:15:51
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot???

2018 races (possible)
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    10/01 - REST
    10/02 - 4m
    10/03 - CROSS // 20 mins mat pilates + walk
    10/04 - 4m
    10/05 - REST
    10/06 - CROSS // 60 mins Bodypump + 5 minute treadmill run
    10/07 - REST
    10/08 - 3.2
    10/09 - 4
    10/10 - CROSS // 20 minutes core/stretching work
    10/11 - 4
    10/12 - REST
    10/13 - CROSS // 30 mins TRX / 20 mins CXWORKS / .3 mile jog with dog
    10/14 - 6
    10/15 - REST
    10/16 - 4.5
    10/17 - 2.2
    10/18 - 4.5
    10/19 - REST
    10/20 - CROSS //30 mins BODYPUMP / 30 mins CXWORKS / 15 mins treadmill
    10/21 - 7
    10/22 - REST
    10/23 - 1
    10/24 - 1.5
    10/25 - REST

Goal: 50
    MTD: 42.9

Upcoming Races
    10/08 - (5k) Run the Rocks
    10/29 - (10k) Kooky Spooky
    11/18 - (10k) Turkey Trek
    12/09 - (HM) Fa La La Half Marathon

At this rate, I don't think I'll hit my mileage goal. My calf still feels funky, even when I walk. I'm wearing boots with a heel today for some relief and have it wrapped for compression. Sigh. The notion of missing the race on Sunday makes me really sad, but I would be even more sad if I couldn't do the HM in December. Here's hoping that legit rest actually does it's thing. :/
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @garygse "monkey C"? Monkey do? Sounds like something only a 23 year old pig would know. :smiley:

I wish I knew important stuff... :disappointed:
    Funny your should mention that...monkeyC is the command to compile everything, and monkeyDo is the command to test everything. :)

I feel like I missed my calling. Programming/computer stuff sounds awesome.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 I'm very very sorry. The only good thing about deployment is the homecoming. :wink: Thank you all for your family's service.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I am sorry @zdyb23456 , rig absences are hard enough so I can't imagine being a military family. Love to you and your kiddos- I hope the months fly by fast <3

October 1- 28+7
    October 2- 18
    October 3- 20
    October 4- 15
    October 5- 18
    October 6- Off
    October 7- 32
    October 8- 18
    October 9- 13
    October 10- 8
    October 11- 12
    October 12- Off
    October 13- Off
    October 14- 86
    October 15- Off
    October 16- Off
    October 17- Off
    October 18- 15
    October 19- 16
    October 20- 17
    October 21- 34
    October 22- 18
    October 23- Off
    October 24- 23
    October 25- 19

417/450km

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »
    garygse wrote: »
    @LaurenFOB2301 Everyone's different, so it's going to be next to impossible to predict how much and how quickly you'll improve. Rest assured though that you're doing incredibly well, and you should continue to see improvements as long as you keep things sensible and don't try to do too much too soon.

As an anecdote, I started out about 15 months ago, and was running with a pace that was over 12:00 min/mi. Over the months, I've watched my pace slowly increase, along with my endurance, to the point where I ran a marathon earlier this month with an average pace of 8:03. While YMMV, lots of mileage will definitely help.

That's great to hear. Thanks for sharing your own personal experience -- how amazing you went from doing 12 minute miles to running a marathon. I'm thinking about signing up for a 5ks next month or 10ks (eventually).

I'm worried about being consistent as I head into colder months (I live in Chicago) and that my mileage will suffer. but I'm trying to stay positive and reminding myself that running in all types of weather conditions will only make me stronger.

Today, temps were near perfect, in the mid 50s, but it was raining hard all morning. I still managed to run a few miles at the high school track. I enjoy running in the rain. Not sure how I feel about running in the snow yet!

@LaurenFOB2301 – below are the best decisions I have made to help improve my overall pace and perhaps assist in your journey.

1) Keep running: I started with C25K last Dec, transitioned to 10K program in early spring and now wrapping up my 1st go at HM training. I too was slow in the beginning and as I have increased my weekly distances, implemented speed workouts, long runs, etc - my endurance and pace has increased. My primary goal remains to improve my overall health/fitness level which has provided me many more non-speed victories vs just being faster (yes, I do like the PR’s when they come too!)

2) Speed workouts: To be faster overall, I also believe you need to implement interval and tempo training as often as recommend by various training plans such as fast 30 sec strides, 4x200's, 8x200's to 400's to miles along with progressive paces as distance increases, etc.

3) Races: Incorporating as many as feasible as they are both fun and something to work for during training. Since I only have a few under my belt, I have been fortunate that my 2nd 10K was faster than my first and I can only hope that trend continues, however I am realistic that I am not an elite runner and the conditions of the day or those leading up to it will always be different so finishing the race is the ultimate reward regardless of time as every day is a gift and on that day I was able to run a race!

4) Support: This group and Strava is awesome from an online perspective. In addition, I also found a local running group via a Strava that meets regularly and showed up (bonus - membership for them is free). Note -I'm in NW suburbs of Chicago and being in the group should help me keep me more accountable during the cold winter months where I normally might stay inside on a cold day to support them as much as they help support me. What is great about a good group and a run when you are not having to run alone (this group normally has 40-50 runners of ALL paces from beginners running their first miles, to those training for all kinds of races on a Saturday morning) and whether you only want to run a few miles or run longer than the planned route you determine who, if, and how you want to run that morning – you are never far from someone that is on the same path. 70+ from the group ran in the Chicago Marathon this year and many not running organized a big cheer section to support them. Very cool and fun! FYI- since you are located in Chicago, check out “Three Run Two” that looks very similar in their philosophy…sure there are many more.

Good luck in your training and feel free to follow me on Strava at https://www.strava.com/athletes/22401471

Thanks for directing me to Three Run Two! I had never heard of that before. Running with a group is a little intimidating but I think I'll build up confidence as I continue running. I may try one of the Three Run Two's runs when the pace is across the board. I actually spend a lot of time in the Logan Square area so it sounds fun!

Now that you mention races as a great source of motivation, I may sign up for the Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving. And it's next to impossible to say no to warm apple cider. ;)

Today was supposed to be strictly a rest or strength training leg day, but I ended up running 1.5 miles on the treadmill at a pace of 10:15. I'm sitting at 51.5 miles now for the month.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I can't explain how much this October challenge has helped me keep going. It's been such an inspiration to watch this amazing group of people struggle and succeed together. :smiley:

@LaurenFOB2301 You could also check out Chicago Endurance Sports! They have some year round training groups that are really wonderful and have plenty of different paces (continous run and run/walk). Winter Warriors is about to start (http://www.chicagoendurancesports.com/training/winterwarriors.htm), they have half marathon and 10K training groups. The group runs are twice a week and all start out of Fleet Feet locations, including the Logan Square one :wink: I did WW two years ago and can not speak highly enough of it! I also have a few friends that are CES coaches so I might be a bit biased...
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Thanks for directing me to Three Run Two! I had never heard of that before. Running with a group is a little intimidating but I think I'll build up confidence as I continue running. I may try one of the Three Run Two's runs when the pace is across the board. I actually spend a lot of time in the Logan Square area so it sounds fun!

Now that you mention races as a great source of motivation, I may sign up for the Turkey Trot 5K on Thanksgiving. And it's next to impossible to say no to warm apple cider. ;)

@LaurenFOB2301 I am a big fan of group runs and would do a park run if the area had them (maybe more European)..so I do hope you do check out Three Run Two - alternatively, feel free to experience LRC someday (some folks drive 60+ minutes from the area for weekend/weekday events). You can see the public page here https://www.facebook.com/LibertyvilleRunningClub/ and if you wish join their group page if you want more access.

FYI - I assume 3 2 Run is similar to LRC in that LRC often remarks to people that are interested in learning more with "Just show up" to anyone inquiring about the normal intimidation fears/concerns that many of us might have of being either new, slow, old, etc (I am a triple threat). Since you know the area well - you can always dip your toe in the water and maybe check out 3 Run 2 in a casual way while following normal safety patterns you might take, etc.

Best of luck!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Didn't get to run yesterday due to my car breaking down. That's what makes it so annoying that I can't run Wed/Thurs. That leaves Fri-Mon and I can't run all 5 in a row right now but then if I miss due to unforeseeable events (which happens strangely often) then I'm stuck with Wed/Thur off anyway even though I'd like to make up a missed run. Sigh. One day my schedule is going to be less complicated.

@skippygirlsmom Yes, I have been dealing with bouts of sciatica for a couple years. It comes and goes and flares. Sometimes back pain, sometimes butt pain, sometimes leg pain or foot numbness. The day off yesterday was probably good to keep me from aggravating this flare and just let it chill out.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    At this rate, I don't think I'll hit my mileage goal. My calf still feels funky, even when I walk. I'm wearing boots with a heel today for some relief and have it wrapped for compression. Sigh. The notion of missing the race on Sunday makes me really sad, but I would be even more sad if I couldn't do the HM in December. Here's hoping that legit rest actually does it's thing. :/
    Totally understand where you are coming from. I think not running sucks. Weird thing to say to most people but I knew this group would understand. I hope that rest really helps.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    ariceroni wrote: »
    @LaurenFOB2301 You could also check out Chicago Endurance Sports! They have some year round training groups that are really wonderful and have plenty of different paces (continous run and run/walk). Winter Warriors is about to start (http://www.chicagoendurancesports.com/training/winterwarriors.htm), they have half marathon and 10K training groups. The group runs are twice a week and all start out of Fleet Feet locations, including the Logan Square one :wink: I did WW two years ago and can not speak highly enough of it! I also have a few friends that are CES coaches so I might be a bit biased...

VERY COOL!!

• seanevan10
    Options
    @zdyb23456 so sorry about the deployment but we thank you for the service.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I am SO looking forward to seeing this when it comes out!! Could there be a better title!?!

From The Ginger Runner, a documentary about the Barkley Marathons!

https://youtu.be/ZuzRMQXCK0g

https://youtu.be/xgWejm_hbpA
  • skippygirlsmom
    edited October 2017
    Options

@skippygirlsmom Yes, I have been dealing with bouts of sciatica for a couple years. It comes and goes and flares. Sometimes back pain, sometimes butt pain, sometimes leg pain or foot numbness. The day off yesterday was probably good to keep me from aggravating this flare and just let it chill out.

@greenolivetree 100% this too, the feeling that my nerve is being pulled out of back of my leg is my personal favorite symptom.

@7lenny7 there is a documentary out about the Barkley. I watched it last year, a couple local guys here have run it/tried to run it ha ha It's crazy.

http://barkleymovie.com/

I found it on NetFlix. I'll be watching for this one, crazy.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 I am sorry to hear about your husband's deployment, but I am also relieved a little bit - I saw your earlier post about it being a sad day, but was too afraid to ask why. Thank you for your service to our great country and I'm wishing your family all the best and hoping for a safe return of your loved one. God bless him!

I plan on running this afternoon, but decided to check in with you all so I don't come back to 100+ new posts :smile:

@Elise4270 It is never too late! I self-taught C++, it's pretty cool once you get a hang of it. I'm sure there are some free online courses you can sign up and see if programming is for you.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 that must be so hard on your family. :frowning: Thank you for your family's service.
  • seanevan10
    Options
    @PastorVincent Are you going to run with one on each wrist? I like the watch face on the 935!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    seanevan10 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Are you going to run with one on each wrist? I like the watch face on the 935!

I was thinking that would be more comfortable than having both on the same wrist.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @PastorVincent oh ah pretty