October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Starting to look at getting a coach for training for my next race, but with where I am, it would be online, so I'm not so sure about shelling out the $$$ for it, even though a structured and supported training cycle would probably be a good idea, since I half assed my 100k training.

My husband has only been running for about a year and signed up with Runner's Connect a few months ago and they've already helped him PR in the 5K (21 mins) and 10K (43 mins). He loves not having to think about what to do. He just tells them his goal race (and mini-goal races if applicable), weekly mileage comfort, how many days he wants to run, and they give him a plan. He says they push him to do easier (they made him run at least a min slower than he normally did on most runs) and harder workouts than he would on his own. The coaches seem active (it's kind of a social media site similar to this), though he's not a very challenging client. He does whatever they put in his program. The only downside I've seen is that the workouts won't send directly to Garmin; their download file doesn't work. I have to input them all manually for him, which is annoying.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    My footpod arrived, so I put it on my shoe, paired it, and went outside. It said it was self-calibrating, so hopefully I will notice a difference next time I use the treadmill. In Garmin, I can't see any indication that it was working. Fingers crossed.

Today: 2.54 miles
    MTD: 40.48 / 50 miles
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My footpod arrived, so I put it on my shoe, paired it, and went outside. It said it was self-calibrating, so hopefully I will notice a difference next time I use the treadmill. In Garmin, I can't see any indication that it was working. Fingers crossed.

On your Garmin watch, you should be able to check the Calibration factor of the footpod (settings/sensors...find footpod). I believe the calibration factor if reset starts of the footpod starts at 100 and then goes up/down from there based on your outdoor runs.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Starting to look at getting a coach for training for my next race, but with where I am, it would be online, so I'm not so sure about shelling out the $$$ for it, even though a structured and supported training cycle would probably be a good idea, since I half assed my 100k training.

My husband has only been running for about a year and signed up with Runner's Connect a few months ago and they've already helped him PR in the 5K (21 mins) and 10K (43 mins). He loves not having to think about what to do. He just tells them his goal race (and mini-goal races if applicable), weekly mileage comfort, how many days he wants to run, and they give him a plan. He says they push him to do easier (they made him run at least a min slower than he normally did on most runs) and harder workouts than he would on his own. The coaches seem active (it's kind of a social media site similar to this), though he's not a very challenging client. He does whatever they put in his program. The only downside I've seen is that the workouts won't send directly to Garmin; their download file doesn't work. I have to input them all manually for him, which is annoying.

I would love a coach, but I know a couple things...

1) They will give me workouts I have to actually think about while running.
    2) They will cost too much and would not be able to afford races anymore
    3) Did I mention they would want me to think about my work out instead of zone into my audiobooks?

But I really probably need a coach (or at least a solid plan) to break through my level.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options

3) Did I mention they would want me to think about my work out instead of zone into my audiobooks?

But I really probably need a coach (or at least a solid plan) to break through my level.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... Reason I'm looking at getting a coach is that I do better work with someone else helping guide me. I might not do a planned workout if it's just me, and having someone to help hold me accountable would be great.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

@Elise4270 It is never too late! I self-taught C++, it's pretty cool once you get a hang of it. I'm sure there are some free online courses you can sign up and see if programming is for you.

I looked at online college classes a few months ago then decide even if I want to do it, I probably wouldn't make time. I will look for something free or self taught though! Work will pay for tuition... But eh.. I gotta have run time, couch time, work time...ect. do I really want to change careers? Job market here isn't so great- I'd have to move... I woosed on the follow through.

@skippygirlsmom and @greenolivetree That horrible feeling in the back of your hamstring is insane! Stretching my glutes does seem to help. Surgeon thought it was nerve impingement from overly tight muscles from bursitis inflammation.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

@Elise4270 It is never too late! I self-taught C++, it's pretty cool once you get a hang of it. I'm sure there are some free online courses you can sign up and see if programming is for you.

I looked at online college classes a few months ago then decide even if I want to do it, I probably wouldn't make time. I will look for something free or self taught though! Work will pay for tuition... But eh.. I gotta have run time, couch time, work time...ect. do I really want to change careers? Job market here isn't so great- I'd have to move... I woosed on the follow through.

Programming (which I do as my job that pays the bills) is a unique mix of logic and art. People that do well in it tend to have strong math skills, capable of logical and ordered thinking, and also tend to have some creative talents (music, painting, etc). It really requires both to excel. I do mostly backend work (stuff a user never sees) but have been doing it since the 80's. Have found that people without that skill set either never really progress all that far, or drop out over time.

Obviously, that is a generalization so there will always be exceptions - but I can tell you it is the background I look for when hiring developers.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 for me it comes and goes, it seems to hate this time of year so it's talking to me some. When it does I get with my PTs exercises and it usually helps. I have a feeling, it's not a pain just a weird feeling, on the top of my thigh from time to time when I run. Doctor said he thinks it's from arthrography (I think that is what it was called) they did to find my labrum nerve tear, they might have "hurt" a nerve with the needle. Okay doke.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Thanks for sharing this. They have some good free info from a quick review. Tbd if I will ever need or want something more tailored but nice to understand options.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    12/10 3.21 miles
    17/10 3.31 miles
    18/10 3.79 miles
    25/10 3.56 miles

exercise.png

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    10/1 = 15 miles
    10/2 = 6.5 miles and strength training
    10/3 = rest day
    10/4 = 8 miles
    10/5 = 6.5 easy miles and strength training
    10/6 = kettlebell workout
    10/7 = 7 miles
    10/8 = 16 miles
    10/9 = 8 miles
    10/10 = Vinyasa yoga class & 5.5 mile hike
    10/11 = 8.5 miles
    10/12 = rest day (because of stupid work crap)
    10/13 = 7.5 miles and 30 minutes of weights at the gym
    10/14 = 5.5 miles
    10/15 = 17 rainy miles (run/walk intervals with the group)
    10/16 = 8 miles and 20 minutes of strength training
    10/17 = Vinyasa yoga class
    10/18 = 9 miles
    10/19 = 6.5 miles
    10/20 = 7 miles
    10/21 = 18 miles
    10/22 = rest day
    10/23 = 6 miles & 30 min. Kettlebells
    10/24 = vinyasa yoga class
    10/25 = 8.5 miles

How am I one hundred and sixty three post behind? LOL

My first half-marathon on Saturday. Starting to get excited! :)

175.5/175 (September goal miles)

Upcoming Races:
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Marathon
    1/6/18 = River Road Run Half Marathon
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    kevaasen wrote: »

On your Garmin watch, you should be able to check the Calibration factor of the footpod (settings/sensors...find footpod). I believe the calibration factor if reset starts of the footpod starts at 100 and then goes up/down from there based on your outdoor runs.

Awesome! Thanks. It says 98.7, so I guess it did something. Yay!
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options

Ha, I think it is the opposite for him. He said he spends no time thinking about what to do now. He just has to be a machine and do it. He listens to audiobooks and podcasts with no trouble. It does cost about $40/month though.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 maybe I can send Skip your way and she can run with your son to give him some incentive ha ha. I wouldn't mind the rain if it wasn't going to be so cold. We'll see what happens I can always dump my costume and wear my rain jacket instead, or run with an umbrella and pretend I'm Mary Poppins ha ha

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn you didn't ask for a coach recommendation, and I have no first hand experience, but I've heard great things about Trail Transformations. The the two coaches with that company are from LaCrosse and they KNOW the trail races you want to run. You see their names on the top of the results list of just about any trail race in the area.
    Cool. Thanks. I'll have to look at them more. Experience with Zumbro would be a Huge boost. Prices looked decent.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Is that the Spooktacular 5K you're doing? Have fun! I'll be doing my last long run before my race. Rain? Yuck!

@garygse , @fitoverfortymom , @ctlaws44 , and @cameronheel -- are we all Scorpios? What a great group we are! Any others?