October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @PastorVincent did you calibrate the Altimiter on your 935? You're supposed to do that before your first run. I generally recalibrate every few runs, just to make sure. I get Very consistent elevations from my Garmin, and to me that matters more than "is it accurate?" Keep up the testing, it's interesting info. GPS+GLONASS is a definite battery drain, it chopped a bunch off my battery life at my race.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    10/1-6.2 miles 1270 Feet Elevation
    10/2- REST
    10/3- 9
    10/4- 7
    10//5- 9
    10/6- 5
    10/7- 15
    10/8- 5- Felt like being lazy
    10/9- REST
    10/10- 5
    10/11- 5
    10/12- 5
    10/13- 5
    10/14- 8.1- 1476 Feet Elevation
    10/15- REST
    18/16- REST
    10/17- 4
    10/18- 3
    10/19- REST
    10/20- REST
    10/21- 62.2
    10/22- Recovery
    10/23- Recovery
    10/24- Recovery
    10/25- Recovery
    10/26- Recovery
    10/27- Recovery

Total Miles: 153.5
    Total Elevation: 2746

October goal: Survive 100k training taper and Wild Duluth 100k
    Nominal Mileage goal: 100 miles.
    Elevation goal: 15000ft

Today's notes: Right leg is finally starting to feel like I could run. The spot I rubbed raw on my achilles tendon though is still sore, so I may or may not get a run in tomorrow. I'd really like to get back into running, but I also want to make sure my recovery is complete first.

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon 4:24:06
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon 7:22:23
    8/12- UMTR FatAss "Not Quite" 50k DNF, too darn hot out
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon 6:24:36
    10/21 Wild Duluth 100k 18:15:51
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot???

2018 races (possible)
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I always wanna streak but have yet to have made it. I'll try again this year.

I kicked myself yesterday in my "not new but different rarely worn" shoes on my run yesterday, repeatedly. I managed to rectify that with a few curse words and kicking my heels up a bit, which means a faster pace.* Pant *curse... My foot with the pain at top middle, seems less offended by these shoes. But my opposite ankle is terribly bruised.

Usually run in Mizunos with a lower drop and the shoes seem less bulky compared to these Brooks ghosts 9. I think I need new shoes, a new hip.... Some PT, and maybe a pizza.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent did you calibrate the Altimiter on your 935? You're supposed to do that before your first run. I generally recalibrate every few runs, just to make sure. I get Very consistent elevations from my Garmin, and to me that matters more than "is it accurate?" Keep up the testing, it's interesting info. GPS+GLONASS is a definite battery drain, it chopped a bunch off my battery life at my race.

@MNLittleFinn It is set to auto-calibrate from GPS data everytime I activate run. If you do it manually you need to do it pretty much every run, especially if you are like men and run at a wide spread of elevations (from sea level to a couple thousand feet) which would require me looking up my elevation before every run until I memorized it.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

@MNLittleFinn It is set to auto-calibrate from GPS data everytime I activate run. If you do it manually you need to do it pretty much every run, especially if you are like men and run at a wide spread of elevations (from sea level to a couple thousand feet) which would require me looking up my elevation before every run until I memorized it.

Oh and @MNLittleFinn : this is an interesting article about the altimeter:

https://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2014/fixing-altimeter-garmin-forerunner-910xt/

TLDR; It gets full of junk and stops working. Cleaning it fixes it.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Oh and @MNLittleFinn : this is an interesting article about the altimeter:

https://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2014/fixing-altimeter-garmin-forerunner-910xt/

TLDR; It gets full of junk and stops working. Cleaning it fixes it.

Oh yeah, knew that... elbow deep in mud... I generally run where I have know Altitides for my starts, like only 3-4 places. once I start branching out more again, I might set it to auto, or just not use it.... FTR, mine has been within about +/- 3% compared to corrected elevation.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Today I plan to try manual calibration and see if that makes difference. Assuming I am able to get out. Need find a good place to look it up....
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Today I plan to try manual calibration and see if that makes difference. Assuming I am able to get out. Need find a good place to look it up....
    Sounds good. a lot of it is witch doctory, but it's fun to talk about.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Nod, and really 90% of what I care about is pace, time, distance and HR. The Garmin nails all that without help. For elevation if ends up I just use "corrected" data, that is no biggie. Not like I am worried about elite competition levels, I am just trying to outlive my need for a pacemaker someday :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Nod, and really 90% of what I care about is pace, time, distance and HR. The Garmin nails all that without help. For elevation if ends up I just use "corrected" data, that is no biggie. Not like I am worried about elite competition levels, I am just trying to outlive my need for a pacemaker someday :smiley:

I'm with you on that. Basically I break down "elevation" into: Pancake, not too flat, a little bit of hills, hill day, I hate being Sisyphus
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    I think I will do the Holiday Streak again. Yeah, I know last year I said I wouldn't do it again, but it's kind of fun --

@ddmom0811 I went on a streaking run last summer and it was rather fun, particularly since it was raining. Or are you talking about a different kind of streaking?

No run for me last night. My son played the "I have too much homework" card and I decided to give my rolled ankle a break. It doesn't hurt really, but every so often I feel something different.

@rusgolden if you ever decide to give trail running a try, there's a great trail running group in your area called the Trail Nerds. They put on the Pyscho Wyco race (10M/20M/50K) in February at Wyandotta County Lake Park. I plan on running the 50K this February. They're not all about ultras though, they have plenty of shorter races as well, such as a night 5K this Saturday, a 4 mile in November and plenty of other runs in the spring and summer. They also have weekly training runs as well. That would be a great place to start. Trail runners universally are an extremely friendly, helpful group. Show up, tell them you're new, and you will get all the support and friendly advice you could ever want.

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

Yeah, read that in my travels around the web early this AM. Good discussion on Reddit too. The short version is - pretty much in most cases use the "Garmin corrected" values unless you run along cliffs.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Yeah, read that in my travels around the web early this AM. Good discussion on Reddit too. The short version is - pretty much in most cases use the "Garmin corrected" values unless you run along cliffs.

I run along some pretty steep drop offs, that's why I try to use the altimeter data when I can, I get more consistent data. I can't speak to the accuracy, but it is more consistent.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I run along some pretty steep drop offs, that's why I try to use the altimeter data when I can, I get more consistent data. I can't speak to the accuracy, but it is more consistent.

Which is exactly what I would expect - assuming everything I read that I think is true, is true. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Which is exactly what I would expect - assuming everything I read that I think is true, is true. :)
    Running along steep hills is fun..... it looks like I'm doing short but steep hill repeats a lot of the time,,,,
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Running along steep hills is fun..... it looks like I'm doing short but steep hill repeats a lot of the time,,,,

So just stood where I start my run and compared elevation on the watch to the maps, and was over 100' difference. So I manually calibrated. Then I walked up a 40 foot hill (yes, that is how I START some runs heh - me stupid) and check the value on the watch. It was within a couple feet of the map. Will check it again when I start my run later. In theory going back to the start point should give me my calibration value back +/- a couple feet.