October 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    fe452436 wrote: »
    I am 5'4 and 198lbs.I will start by 2 minutes at a time.As I never exercise and I get exhausted very soon.But still give it a try.

That's about what I did. I did 10 very slow minutes my first day and added a minute on each day I ran until I could run for 30 minutes. Then, I started worrying about speed. I'm still slow as hell, but getting better and more consistent. Good luck!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for October

10/1 REST DAY
    10/2 8 miles - 8
    10/3 9 miles - 17
    10/4 4 miles - 21
    10/5 9 miles - 30
    10/6 4 miles - 34
    10/7 12 miles - 46
    10/8 REST DAY
    10/9 REST DAY
    10/10 10 miles - 56
    10/11 REST DAY (alarm never went off and work was busy all day)
    10/12 9.5 miles - 65.5
    10/13-18 REST DAYs
    10/19 7.5 miles - 73.1
    10/20-23 more non running
    10/24 6.2 miles - 79.3
    10/25 6.2 miles - 85.5
    10/26 9.5 miles - 95
    10/27 6.2 miles - 101.2

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    None so far

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've got a Halloween 5k on Sunday so thought I'd do an easy 4-5 miles tonight just to loosen up and get myself in the game. I was doing great and was nearly home when up ahead I spotted a woman coming towards me, head down, earbuds in, texting someone and not looking where she was going. I moved to one side because it was obvious she was completely oblivious to her surroundings, so I wanted to give her and me as much space as possible. Just as I ran past her she stepped right into me and knocked me completely off balance. My shoulder crashed into her and she dropped her phone. I was about to stop when she started screaming at me for making her drop her phone. I didn't want to get into an argument, so I kept on going. I could hear her yelling "you made me drop my phone. You made me drop my phone! What's your name? Stop right now!"

I didn't stop. My shoulder was hurting and I could tell I'd twisted my ankle a little bit from where she'd knocked into me. If I could have jumped into the road to get out of her way I would have done, but there were cars all along the street. I feel a bit bad, but I honestly think I did everything I could to avoid her. Just feeling a bit discombobulated now.
  • bride001
    bride001 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 - Sorry about your shoulder and ankle. Not your fault. She should have been paying attention to where she was going. She dropped her phone.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Mine was dedicated also, but nowhere near as fancy. Great knowledge group of runners... but smaller shop. Not been to one as fancy as yours!

Nothing fancy about it. Just a local, independently owned shop. I bet most running stores in our area have the same policy. No reason any running shop couldn't do the same thing regardless of size or fanciness. Every shoe manufacturer makes allowances for a certain percentage of returns. The store doesn't take the hit. You have to accept the fact, though, that the shoes you buy may have some scuffs on the outsole from others testing them out.

I was referring to the treadmill and gait analyze... the running store I go to would let me return shoes that I ran a marathon in. Never took them up on it, but yeah, they good about all that.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    10/01 - Rest
    10/02 - 10 miles Z2
    10/03 - 9 miles easy Z2 in the heat
    10/04 - Strength + 7 miles Z3/4
    10/05 - Strength + 6 miles Z2 in the rain
    10/06 - 11 Miles Z2
    10/07 - 16 Miles Z2
    10/08 - Rest
    10/09 - 9 Miles Z2
    10/10 - 10.5 miles Z2
    10/11 - Strength + 6.25 miles Z2
    10/12 - Strength + 7 Miles
    10/13 - 7 Miles
    10/14 - Stop Drop and Run Race - 4.5 mile
    10/15 - 11 miles
    10/16 - Rest
    10/17 - 7 Miles Easy
    10/18 - Strength + 7 miles
    10/19 - Strength + 8 miles
    10/20 - 7 Miles
    10/21 - Rest ( Funeral)
    10/22 - Rest (Stuck doing non-running things)
    10/23 - 9 Miles
    10/24 - 11 Miles
    10/25 - 7 Cold Miles
    10/26 - 7 Miles @ 8:50 pace
    10/27 - 9 miles

Summer Goal: Get my marathon pace below 9 minutes.
    Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

Thanksgiving morning - Turkey Trot - Double Gobbler! (5K + 5 miles)
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (or maybe 30K Still debating)

Bunch of hills, so slower pace but legs more tired. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    ELEVATION GAMES UPDATE

So started out with Garmin manually calibrated. Same thing as last time. Started it and phone roughly around same time. Distance/Pace/Time all reasonably close.

Elevation

Garmin Watch: 541 feet
    Garmin Corrected: 872 feet
    RunKeeper (uses phone GPS): 869 feet
    Strava (imported Garmin data): 657 feet

This time I deleted the auto sync run from Strava, exported the run from Garmin, and uploaded that to Strava and got a new result!

So. Garmin Corrected and RunKeeper are close enough to call a match, while the Garmin watch is under-reporting again. No idea where Strava came up with its number :smiley: The Garmin export file does have elevation in it, so should have gotten 541 or 872, but instead it made up a number on its own.

Leaning towards always using Garmin Corrected at this point. I think so far my observations match what has been reported by others - the barometer altimeter is just not accurate.

BUT I think I understand the problem. When I walked out I turned on the altimeter screen and checked it. While standing still I watched my elevation drop slowly, almost 100 feet. I think part of the problem it is too slow to keep up with all the hills I have here.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 people are so self centered sometimes. If it had been me I would have apologized profusely for running into you while I wasn’t paying attention. I can’t believe she blamed you when she was the one on her phone!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @JessicaMcB - I haven't tried Altras, though the theory of the wide toe box is attractive. I've been running in Saucony Kinvaras through models 4, 5, and 6 with some model 7's in boxes right now. They worked for me, so I've been reluctant to change. I'm more afraid of using something worse than hopeful of finding something better.

That having been said . . . Asics discontinued the 33-M, which I found to be a very good walking shoe. Local running store had me try Mizuno WaveRunner to replace it, and the WaveRunner is better. I think I could run in the WaveRunners. And I have the Hoka Cliftons that I won in a raffle; I'm really liking them for long runs with lots of concrete and downhill on roads. The common thread here is 4mm drop (maybe 5 on the Hokas, but I can't tell the difference). And I think my cross country spikes are a zero drop.

Long story short, I think I'm in transition from being a died in the wool (not wood) socks Kinvara guy to someone who will try different shoes for different purposes. If all goes well with the Hokas, I want to wear them for Boston. But I don't wan the Hokas for cross country practice; the Kinvaras give me better tactile feedback, though not as much as the real cross country spikes do. And then there are the Saucony Pergrines for snowy roads and when I know in advance that I'll be on moderately technical trails.

@PastorVincent - Interesting discussion on GPS and barometric altimeters. I do not have a barometric altimeter, and I've seen at least one run where the elevation chart from Strava was different from and more believable than the elevation chart from Garmin on the same data. As far as the barometric measurement, I have to wonder what happens to the numbers if the barometric pressure changes while you're running? I envision a flat run along the Erie Canal trail reporting a steep hill when the heavy rain comes through. (up or down? I don't remember which way the barometer moves with a cold front, only that it can be dramatic.)

@BruinsGal_91 - Wow. I'm glad you got away from the irrational person. I'm very glad she wasn't behind the wheel of a car; that likely wouldn't have made any difference to what she was doing.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 You could not have done anything different. You did everything right. I'm glad you are ok. Love the bib!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 That is an amazing bib. Sorry for the mean lady. Mean people are the worst.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - Interesting discussion on GPS and barometric altimeters. I do not have a barometric altimeter, and I've seen at least one run where the elevation chart from Strava was different from and more believable than the elevation chart from Garmin on the same data. As far as the barometric measurement, I have to wonder what happens to the numbers if the barometric pressure changes while you're running? I envision a flat run along the Erie Canal trail reporting a steep hill when the heavy rain comes through. (up or down? I don't remember which way the barometer moves with a cold front, only that it can be dramatic.)

Yeah, there are lots of ways I can see it being inaccurate. I am sure even wind can mess with it. I think at this stage I will just accept that "Garmin Corrected" is probably close enough and not worry about it.

• seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm fortunate to have three good dedicated running store chains near me. Runners Roost, Road Runner Sports, and Boulder Running Co. If anyone has a preference one over the other, please let me know.

Being from boulder, I love boulder ruining co. But runners roost was good.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Anyone have wide feet want to make suggestions? Defs need a generous toe box if not wide by default.

Also, calf is getting better, but not perfect. My race plan for Sunday is if it doesn't feel right, switch my entry to the 5k and walk it. Then I can still get the cute medal and not hose up my legs.

On day 3.5 of no running and I'm bouncing off the walls. Trying an short .3 miles around the bike path in the park near my house to see how it feels tomorrow, which should give me a sense of if racing on Sunday is actually going to be a thing.

I have to remember I'm training for a HM in December, not a 10k in October. This is just one step of the plan, not the final goal. It's not worth a more dramatic injury which will make me super sad (like, I'm so genuinely bummed this week I can't even stand it) and push out my goal date. I haven't woken up at 4:30 am just about every morning since July to screw it all up.

I have big and wide. I liked new balance because they had 4e. But altra had been nice because wide toe box.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    @BruinsGal_91 people are so self centered sometimes. If it had been me I would have apologized profusely for running into you while I wasn’t paying attention. I can’t believe she blamed you when she was the one on her phone!

Agreed. You should have asked HER name and and told her that she was responsible for your injuries. Which she is.

I hope her phone is broken. She needs time away from it. I'm sorry she was so selfish. I hope your ankle and shoulder are better soon.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Family did the zombie 5K run tonight. Fun dark run with lots of zombies and zigzaging! That was an intense interval workout. 8 yr old wasn't scared and finished near the front of the pack! I was "infected" and finished significantly behind him. Can I do 16.5 miles in 4 days? I guess we'll see how the foot feels tomorrow. . :(

Day/Distance/Comments

10/1 5 mi (+ 1 mile walk) + serious stretch program (Gymnastic Bodies Front Split)
    10/2 Water walking
    10/3 3 mi + light yoga
    10/4 Walking + yoga
    10/5 3 mi + PT (scraping + treadmill + stretch + strength)
    10/6 Walking + PT (stretching + scraping + ultrasound + H-wave)
    10/7 4 mi (+ 1 mile walk) + yoga and PT moves
    10/8 6 mi (+ 1 mile walk) + Gymnastic Bodies Front Split stretch routine + PT
    10/9 3 mi slowish with youth XC team + 40 min water walking + PT
    10/10 Walk for 45 min + PT moves
    10/11 Walk for 45 min + a little PT
    10/12 3.5 mi (+1 mi walk) + PT
    10/13 Walk for 45 min
    10/14 Ran about 1 mi plus some walking
    10/15 Ran 4 mi + walked 1 mi + restorative yoga + PT
    10/16 Ran 8 mi + walked 1 mi + Gymnastic Bodies Front Split stretch routine
    10/17 Walked a lot marking trails for fun run
    10/18 Ran 3 mi marking new trail for fun run in Strava
    10/19 Walked a lot marking trail for fun run, did Yin Yoga class (with sandbags)
    10/20 Walked over 10 mi marking trail for fun run
    10/21 Ran 1st 5k in almost a year! Planted geocaches and hosted a party
    10/22 Did some walking to fix geocaches + PT
    10/23 Water walking
    10/24 Ran 4 mi on the indoor track + walked 1 mi
    10/25 Walked for an hour + Gymnastic Bodies Front Split stretch routine + PT
    10/26 Ran 5 mi + walked 1 mi + PT
    10/27 Walked a bit + zombie run 5K + PT

Goal: 75 mi
    Total: 58.5 mi
    To go: 16.5 mi

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

@MobyCarp I think something like this happened during my marathon. The elevation on the chart gradually decreased throughout, even though it was a flat 3-loop course. The weather during the 4:54:41 gradually went from cold and windy with a spot of rain, to cool but sunny.

(I've got the Fenix 5)

Strava activity
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1153974991/segments