Pros and cons of a Keto Diet

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    So, I am not on a Keto Diet but I am playing with "low carbs" at the moment....I have also done a lot of research on Keto Diet. Why? Because I have had - for the last decade - a higher A1C value. I am pre-diebetic. I do not look anything like "pre-diabetic" but there was a time that I was 251lbs. That was something like six/seven years ago. I am 208lbs right now. 191lbs was my lowest. But, I feel really really really full and bloated when I eat carbs. Not talking about cake and pop tarts, necessarily. Just carbs. So, there is something in my body that does not work quite right. Whatever the heck "quite right" might mean. And, this is specific to me. I am simply sharing my experience.

I will tell you this.....

I dropped something like seven pounds in one week when I went down to max 65g Carbs a day for a week straight. Sure, we all know what that was. I then ate at a more normal carb level for a week and went back up those seven pounds. I then ate at 10g - 15g Carbs for four days and dropped five pounds. I did not feel full (and, to be clear....not talking about a good, satisfied full.....talking about full like I would pop if I even looked at more food) or bloated. It was really good. For me.

Now, I am *NOT* in the gym. When I am lifting heavy I need - based on my specific experience - Carbs. Heavy Squats or heavy Dead Lifts......on 10g of Carbs.....I believe that the young folks say something like "Oh, snap!" to that. I am not sure that I could make it through that training session were I to be in full ketosis. Others? Maybe. Me? Not at the moment. I would need to target/time my carb intake and learn how I respond to that and then come up with a plan that works well for me. We are all different.....so what I might find to work for me might not work for others. Or, maybe it would for some but not most. Who knows?!?!?!

Generally speaking, I am comfortable saying that lifting heavy is likely going to present a bit of a challenge for someone on a full Keto Diet. Sure - there are a few variations of the Keto Diet. I am talking about the Classic / Strict Keto Diet. The outcome might very likely be a bit different were you to explore the other variations (and I beleive that there are two for folks who train).

Anyway, what is more important to you? What are your true goals?

I would like to think - for me - that my health is more important than some Gym PRs! So, maybe Keto is for me at the 'cost' of heavy squats and heavy dead lifts. But, that would be for me. We are talking about you......

Generally speaking, you are correct. From Alan Aragon:

613epuabokj5.jpg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Low carb / keto is often touted as being wonderful for endurance athletes but it comes with considerable downsides especially if you are interested in performance rather than just completing long distance events.
    1. Higher oxygen cost (you have to work harder)
    2. Worsened carb usage (very significant for events where you fuel during the event)
    http://www.eatsleep.fit/endurance-sports/fat-burning-why-its-overrated-for-the-competitive-endurance-athlete/

What appears to optimal is training both energy systems.
    Which is what Chris Froome was doing when he was dishonestly misreported as being a low carb athlete. Some (just some!) training sessions performed low carb and then carb up afterwards.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Low carb / keto is often touted as being wonderful for endurance athletes but it comes with considerable downsides especially if you are interested in performance rather than just completing long distance events.
    1. Higher oxygen cost (you have to work harder)
    2. Worsened carb usage (very significant for events where you fuel during the event)
    http://www.eatsleep.fit/endurance-sports/fat-burning-why-its-overrated-for-the-competitive-endurance-athlete/

What appears to optimal is training both energy systems.
    Which is what Chris Froome was doing when he was dishonestly misreported as being a low carb athlete. Some (just some!) training sessions performed low carb and then carb up afterwards.

Excellent article. Here is another one. (apologies if I already posted it. I've put it up in a couple of places lately and I don't remember exactly if one of them was here.)
    http://www.bodyforwife.com/keto-and-low-carb-diets-kill-performance/
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    What bothers me is when someone says "This is the best....you have to do this - for the win!" and then promotes that as the end-all, be-all for everyone. And demonizes everything not that!

Usually money is the driving force. Or, dare I say? IGNORANCE!

I just want to figure out what works for me. And what I do. And how I do it!

I want to learn how things work, generally speaking, as well. But I am mindful that we are all different....sometimes, very different....but that there is a 'general set of guidelines' that mostly apply to most of us most of the time! HA! HA! How chicken <kitten> can I put that?

There is NEVER a one-size fits all solution. Ever.

And how often do we need to see the results from horrible governmental recommendations? I suggest that we take personal responsibility and personal accountability for our choices....and not point to some governmental poster or PSA. And, I promise, I am not government bashing here. I am actually coming from a very good place....we just need to take more personal accountability and responsibility and stop pointing the finger "at that guy". Well, "that guy" did not put the food in your mouth, chew it for you and swallow it. You did! :wink:

Education is key. Especially when it comes to the human body. We are so very different. Carbs are FANTASTIC. I mean, give me some lasagna and spaghetti and and and and all day long! Well, no....no thank you. I LOVE the taste....but I feel totally bloated and full (and not in a good way - as I have stated several times). But, that is me. No one else. Just me. I just respond that way. And when I eat about 65g of Carbs (or lower) I do really well. Maybe not in the gym, but every where else.

So, what is more imporant? Like I have asked a few times.

I am super grateful for this forum and for a lot of the folks that post here. The wealth of knowledge and information is awesome. I am a nerd (in that I like to know something....not just 'kinda-sorta', but 100%) so these articles and links are super cool to me.

But, everone has to make their own experience.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    So, I am not on a Keto Diet but I am playing with "low carbs" at the moment....I have also done a lot of research on Keto Diet. Why? Because I have had - for the last decade - a higher A1C value. I am pre-diebetic. I do not look anything like "pre-diabetic" but there was a time that I was 251lbs. That was something like six/seven years ago. I am 208lbs right now. 191lbs was my lowest. But, I feel really really really full and bloated when I eat carbs. Not talking about cake and pop tarts, necessarily. Just carbs. So, there is something in my body that does not work quite right. Whatever the heck "quite right" might mean. And, this is specific to me. I am simply sharing my experience.

I will tell you this.....

I dropped something like seven pounds in one week when I went down to max 65g Carbs a day for a week straight. Sure, we all know what that was. I then ate at a more normal carb level for a week and went back up those seven pounds. I then ate at 10g - 15g Carbs for four days and dropped five pounds. I did not feel full (and, to be clear....not talking about a good, satisfied full.....talking about full like I would pop if I even looked at more food) or bloated. It was really good. For me.

Now, I am *NOT* in the gym. When I am lifting heavy I need - based on my specific experience - Carbs. Heavy Squats or heavy Dead Lifts......on 10g of Carbs.....I believe that the young folks say something like "Oh, snap!" to that. I am not sure that I could make it through that training session were I to be in full ketosis. Others? Maybe. Me? Not at the moment. I would need to target/time my carb intake and learn how I respond to that and then come up with a plan that works well for me. We are all different.....so what I might find to work for me might not work for others. Or, maybe it would for some but not most. Who knows?!?!?!

Generally speaking, I am comfortable saying that lifting heavy is likely going to present a bit of a challenge for someone on a full Keto Diet. Sure - there are a few variations of the Keto Diet. I am talking about the Classic / Strict Keto Diet. The outcome might very likely be a bit different were you to explore the other variations (and I beleive that there are two for folks who train).

Anyway, what is more important to you? What are your true goals?

I would like to think - for me - that my health is more important than some Gym PRs! So, maybe Keto is for me at the 'cost' of heavy squats and heavy dead lifts. But, that would be for me. We are talking about you......

Many will use a TKD or CKD to get around that. There is a metabolic flexibility to do both if one wishes.
  • brrite
    brrite Posts: 21 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Jules221 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Keto Diet? What are your pros and cons on this diet?

Con: My gout came back almost immediately.
    Pro: Unknown. Gout sucks. Dropped the keto like a bad habit.

So far, I've lost about 75 pounds the old-fashioned way, without special diets and with a lot of hard work. I wanted to try keto to convert my body from being primarily carb-fueled during long runs, to burning fat. Before I lost the weight, I battled gout quite frequently, along with a host of other obesity-related health issues. The gout came roaring back around day three of the keto shift.

No thank you. I have a few friends doing keto, and it seems to be working for them. It's not right for me, though. If you've ever had gout, just know this *could* happen.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @nvmomketo - I referenced those two (just not by name). I think that - for me - I am going to play with a higher protein | higher fat | lower carb plan once I get back into the gym and see how things go. If that goes well, then I will possibly look at one or both of the variations that you mentioned. Of course, blood work is going to play a huge role in this. If I am suffering in the gym while training and my A1C does not go down then - for me - there is not such a push. I will then play with macros to find what works best for me. Still hopeful that A1C lowers...

Anyway, not trying to hijack this thread. Hoping that my rants have resulted in some really good information being shared.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @brrite - Dang! Have a buddy who had | has gout. Tough dude....really tough dude....and gout brought him to his knees. Would not wish that on anyone.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo - I referenced those two (just not by name). I think that - for me - I am going to play with a higher protein | higher fat | lower carb plan once I get back into the gym and see how things go. If that goes well, then I will possibly look at one or both of the variations that you mentioned. Of course, blood work is going to play a huge role in this. If I am suffering in the gym while training and my A1C does not go down then - for me - there is not such a push. I will then play with macros to find what works best for me. Still hopeful that A1C lowers...

Anyway, not trying to hijack this thread. Hoping that my rants have resulted in some really good information being shared.

Ketogains may be a good source for you. Many use TKD or carb cycling to maximize gains. https://ketogains.com/ I love their facts page: https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index

I would imagine that targeting carbs around exercise would work better for improving IR and keeping BG lower (thereby helping keep A1C lower). Carbs seem to speed up how quickly gains are made. LCHF or keto with targeted carb intake may be a good option for your situation. For those without IR, low carb is not needed unless you want the greater metabolic flexibility.

Good luck.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    True, I can vouch that @psuLemon does recommend lower carb for those of us with PCOS and related issues. He was great at helping me figure out how to transition to maintenance/recomp while eating lower carb.
    Also, I'm sorry you and your wife have been through so much health-wise. :( I didn't realize it had been going on so long!
  • Anon2018
    Anon2018 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    So, a little late to the game but I wanted to throw in my personal pros and cons for a keto diet. Currently, I follow a moderate low carb high fat diet, that usually shakes out to 15% carbs, 60% fat, and 25% protein (I'm not strict on macros). I tried keto for about a week, and still end up at keto levels 3-4 days a week. I test for ketosis periodically (pee strips) and it seems I go in and out of it. Just for context, I am about 25 pounds overweight, but have no other health issues. I am relatively active with light lifting, boot camp, and cardio (spin and jogging). Besides the extra weight I'm carrying, I am very healthy. Most of my life I've been about 5 pounds overweight, but it didn't cause me much trouble. I've gained 20 pounds in the past two years. I'm 27 years old, 160 and 4'11", my best adult weight was 125 (24.9 BMI), and the weight I've maintained most of my adult life is 130. I would ideally like to get back to 125 but would be happy with 130. I started this diet at 165 - lost 5 pounds in 3 weeks.

Personally, I gained this weight not because I eat very unhealthy foods consistently or have really bad habits, but because I just ate too damn much. I fell into the classic trap of overstimating my exercise cals and eating too much. For example, something I'd do a lot of weekends is go for a 7-8 mile run with my boyfriend, and then afterwards go to this neighborhood health food restaurant and drink a large protein acai smoothie and have a sandwich on a whole grain bun with chicken, swiss, avocado, tomato, onions, lettuce, and ranch. Easily a 1500 calorie lunch! And that's honestly a conservative estimate. And this was after a full breakfast and before a full dinner. i should mention, i'm only 4'11". So for me, I needed to find a way to feel satiated on fewer calories. I also viewed keto, low carb, whatever as a tool to help me count calories. And for me, this is the first thing that has worked for me to keep my cals in check and feel full and energized. When I would count calories in past attempts to lose weight I would have to trade off between counting/eating at a deficit and exercise. I could eat 1200 calorie days (pretty much what every calculator gave me) but I had no energy to exercise, was miserable, couldn't eat out or hang out with friends, and would go to sleep feeling week or tired super early. Obviously, this would only last a few days. OR I could exercise, eat 1700-1800 calories, and not lose weight. I should mention, I'm not exactly a volume eater. Big bowls of raw veggies make me feel sick and bloaty but not full. I love dietary fats (cheese, avocado, nut butter, yum!). I don't really eat fried food or anything like that.

When I first tried keto, it just clicked for me. I had tons of energy and was eating really satisfying foods, and I felt great. I was used to eating breakfast at 9 and by 10:45 my stomach was rumbling and I was counting down to lunch. When I changed to keto, I would eat breakfast at 9, and by 1 be like "oh I forgot to eat lunch?". I would eat 1200-1300 cals, be totally full and satisfied, and have energy to exercise. What I realized after a few weeks is that, for me, there was no magic in keto, and low carb high fat was really the move for me. But, since this is about keto, I will give my pros and cons:

Pros:
    - Feeling satiated on fewer calories, making calorie counting and weight loss easier
    - Less bloat
    - Energy to workout on lower calorie levels
    - Finding it easier to navigate social situations and restaurant menus (not being afraid of fat or salt really helps with the restaurants)
    - No cravings

Cons:
    - Slightly restrictive in terms of sauces, condiments, dairy, stuff like that (I never felt like I had to limit my veggies, and FWIW I don't run into this problem on my current LCHF)
    - Objectively, more expensive. I'm not bulking meals out with rice or pasta or adding a piece of toast anymore, just eating more of the meat. Also to keep variety, buying different kinds of meat (more beef, more fish, etc.)
    - Hard to find things to satisfy your sweet tooth if you don't eat artificial sweeteners - which I don't (again, I don't run into this problem on LCHF. For example, now after dinner if I'm craving a dessert I can have a yogurt with a few teaspoons of honey for 20-25 carbs whereas I couldn't do this on keto)
    - TMI but I'm struggling a little with poop

Basically, for those struggling to be satiated on a low cal diet, cutting carbs can be a great strategy. I figured out that I don't really miss the carbs themselves, I miss them as a vehicle for stuff. Like, I used to have a piece of toast with nut butter if I was hungry before bed. But now that I've cut out the grains, I realized it wasn't really the bread I liked, it was the nut butter, and I'm just as happy with a spoonful of the nut butter itself or a tbsp of nut butter in a small pot of yogurt, and I won't be hungry after. Ditto for something like mac and cheese. Like, all I really wanted was the cheese as it turns out, lol.

So, this is what worked for me. Obviously everyone's body reacts to things differently, but for me, the grains and carbs just didn't fill me up relative to their calorie spend. Basically, I get more bang for my buck adding 3 oz of salmon to dinner than I would a half cup of brown rice. I'm fuller longer, and I'm much happier.