nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Pro: can help you control your epilepsy
    Con: can be dangerous - pay close attention to your doctor & dietician

As far as I know, a ketogenic diet is not dangerous unless you have a problem with fat metabolism or possibly familial hypercholesterolemia. Sort of like me saying tree nuts and gluten are dangerous. They aren't really unless you have a tree nut allergy or celiac disease. Same goes for a very low carb diet.

Unless you are thinking of diabetic ketoacidosis? Thankfully that is not a risk unless one has T1D and a situation where insulin was very low so blood glucose AND ketones are very high - at the same time. Someone eating low carb will never experience that unless they are T1D and it is not well managed in an acute situation.

My doctor actually did recommemd low carb to me. :) And my other doctor recommended less fat and higher carb. LOL ;)

There are also issues with causing/aggravating kidney disorders.

No. Ketosis does not cause kidney problems. It can benefit those with kidney issues from T2D though.

Ketogenic diets are not typically high protein.

I think you need to get out more.

Perhaps in your little corner of the world, that may be true, but for the typical dieter going to keto/LC. They're going High protein.

I think you are incorrect. From what I have seen, the vast majority of keto'ers follow moderate protein.

Even when I eat carnivore (all animal = almost zero carb) my protein is rarely above 25%.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sevas717 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    Keto is how much of mankind lived for tens of thousands of years.

It is one of the most natural ways of eating for the human body and the body works best on ketones not glucose, for example your heart and brain.

Pros:

Loads of fiber, vitamins and minerals from the high intake of leafy green vegetables and other low carb vegetables. I never ate so many veggies in my life until I went on Keto!

Sharpened clarity of thinking - no more brain fog due to too many carbs.

Ward off the risk of cancer with very low carbs.

No hungry feelings anymore, because there are no longer any swings of insulin and blood sugar as I used to experience on a carb based diet.

Sustained energy throughout the day, lots of energy!

No longer craving the things I used to need a fix for, like ice cream, chocolate, and so on.

Cons:

You do need to make an effort to keep some variety going across different meals, if you're prone to getting bored. Same with lots of things in life really.

You dont reduce cancer risk by eliminating carbs. There are so many types of cancers, its ridiculous and at best keto has been preliminarily shown to be beneficial with some types of brain cancers along with formal treatment.

Prevention is different than treatment. I don't think you can say "you don't reduce cancer risk by eliminating carbs" but it is safe to say that there is currently a paucity of evidence. However, inferences can be made. On a typical, obesity causing American diet, overconsumption of carbs leads to chronic insulin production (due to insensitivity) which increases inflammation. Chronic inflammation is linked to cancer in many different sites. There is a pretty good evidence base for hypothesizing that reduction of carbs leads to reduction of insulin-mediated inflammation leads to reduction in overall cancer risk. However, at this point, it is merely a hypothesis. Unlike the effect of low carbs on athlerosclerosis, which there is stronger evidence for benefit.

The american diet is highly caloric. Obesity leads to all kinds of health problems, like chronic inflammation. Carbs do not cause, chronic inflammation. Assuming so ignorea the plethora of evidence around the benefits from increase plant consumption and the blue zones.

The modeling of cancer prevent ia based on rat studies and is way to preliminary to assess with humans.

A more likely, and more demonstrated case against cancer is maintain a lean body weight, stay active, have good genetics and eat a variety of nutrient dense foods, like fish, fruits and veggies.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

It is one of the most natural ways of eating for the human body and the body works best on ketones not glucose, for example your heart and brain.

Pros:

Loads of fiber, vitamins and minerals from the high intake of leafy green vegetables and other low carb vegetables. I never ate so many veggies in my life until I went on Keto!

No hungry feelings anymore, because there are no longer any swings of insulin and blood sugar as I used to experience on a carb based diet.

No longer craving the things I used to need a fix for, like ice cream, chocolate, and so on.

Cons:

You do need to make an effort to keep some variety going across different meals, if you're prone to getting bored. Same with lots of things in life really.

You dont reduce cancer risk by eliminating carbs. There are so many types of cancers, its ridiculous and at best keto has been preliminarily shown to be beneficial with some types of brain cancers along with formal treatment.

Prevention is different than treatment. I don't think you can say "you don't reduce cancer risk by eliminating carbs" but it is safe to say that there is currently a paucity of evidence. However, inferences can be made. On a typical, obesity causing American diet, overconsumption of carbs leads to chronic insulin production (due to insensitivity) which increases inflammation. Chronic inflammation is linked to cancer in many different sites. There is a pretty good evidence base for hypothesizing that reduction of carbs leads to reduction of insulin-mediated inflammation leads to reduction in overall cancer risk. However, at this point, it is merely a hypothesis. Unlike the effect of low carbs on athlerosclerosis, which there is stronger evidence for benefit.

The american diet is highly caloric. Obesity leads to all kinds of health problems, like chronic inflammation. Carbs do not cause, chronic inflammation. Assuming so ignorea the plethora of evidence around the benefits from increase plant consumption and the blue zones.

The modeling of cancer prevent ia based on rat studies and is way to preliminary to assess with humans.

A more likely, and more demonstrated case against cancer is maintain a lean body weight, stay active, have good genetics and eat a variety of nutrient dense foods, like fish, fruits and veggies.

Your last sentence is correct, but you also underestimate the role that carbs play. It is becoming clear now from the science that "replacing refined carbohydrates with healthy high fat foods" will lead to health improvements. Sorry that you have an anti-keto perspective. If you'd like to read the literature:
    http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/15/1111

If what you say is true about carbs playing the major role in obesity, how do you explain "blue zones"?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    How on earth are any of us succeeding whilst not doing keto...

A question I ask myself every day...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Look, it's understandable. Someone tries something (in this case keto), it works great, and so they believe it's the best way to go. They then proceed to preach to everyone about this new thing and how what anyone else is doing is wrong. Give them time...

Note: I don't think there is anything wrong with keto. Just not the be all end all...
  • sevas717
    sevas717 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »

Pros:

Cons:

Your last sentence is correct, but you also underestimate the role that carbs play. It is becoming clear now from the science that "replacing refined carbohydrates with healthy high fat foods" will lead to health improvements. Sorry that you have an anti-keto perspective. If you'd like to read the literature:

The force (woo) is strong in this one :smile: The interesting aspect is this is probably the 5th or 6th time I have seen this paper throw out there, and just like in all previous instances it would appear as though the person citing it has not read it.
    JustRobby1 wrote: »

Pros:

Cons:

The force (woo) is strong in this one :smile: The interesting aspect is this is probably the 5th or 6th time I have seen this paper throw out there, and just like in all previous instances it would appear as though the person citing it has not read it.

Which part of my comment, specifically, gave you that impression?
  • mmapags
    Options
    #1 I actually think we are saying the same thing here. My keto WOE is a means to loose weight quickly and to restore the out of whack insulin insensitivity in my body. My planned transition to a Mediterranean diet, with fruit (fiber), milk, fish, yogurt, whole grain carbs, tomatoes, etc. will happen when I'm close to my target weight of 180 lbs. Keto gave me a kick start. But no, I don't think we have to throw out the baby with the bath water. I do think that, when folks are at an appropriate BMI, 70% of cals should come from carbs. Maybe you've just lumped me in with paleo, I see keto as a tool, not a permanent dietary state. Curious, Are you vegetarian?

#2 here I would contend you're being rather simplistic. The controversial finding which is nicely summarized in that paper is that it's more complicated than that. Of course obiesity is bad, but many subjects in the Mediterranean diet arm didn't loose weight and still received the same CHD/CVD benefit. Hence the relationship is more complex and people are misled by "fat is bad" simple thinking.

#3 of course I agree. I have spent the better part of my adult life trying to cure brain cancer. That is to say, I appreciate how much we know but also how we often are surprised. Hence, a dose of humility is always a good thing.
    A couple of observations about the bolded part of your comments above. Keto/ LC dieters lose a significant amount of water weight up front but normalized over time, the fat loss is not any different than any other calories restricted method of dieting. It is the calorie deficit that caused the weight loss. Keto is just a path among many paths to get there. Given that you have IR issues, it is probably an effective path for you.

I can't ever imagine a scenario where I would think a diet of 70% carbs would be a good thing. The hierarchy of nutrients for max health and muscle mass preservation would be 1)protein 2)adequate fat for proper hormonal function 3) carbs with the rest. Just don't see how that could ever be accomplished with 70% carbs.
  • sevas717
    sevas717 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    #1 I actually think we are saying the same thing here. My keto WOE is a means to loose weight quickly and to restore the out of whack insulin insensitivity in my body. My planned transition to a Mediterranean diet, with fruit (fiber), milk, fish, yogurt, whole grain carbs, tomatoes, etc. will happen when I'm close to my target weight of 180 lbs. Keto gave me a kick start. But no, I don't think we have to throw out the baby with the bath water. I do think that, when folks are at an appropriate BMI, 70% of cals should come from carbs. Maybe you've just lumped me in with paleo, I see keto as a tool, not a permanent dietary state. Curious, Are you vegetarian?

#2 here I would contend you're being rather simplistic. The controversial finding which is nicely summarized in that paper is that it's more complicated than that. Of course obiesity is bad, but many subjects in the Mediterranean diet arm didn't loose weight and still received the same CHD/CVD benefit. Hence the relationship is more complex and people are misled by "fat is bad" simple thinking.

#3 of course I agree. I have spent the better part of my adult life trying to cure brain cancer. That is to say, I appreciate how much we know but also how we often are surprised. Hence, a dose of humility is always a good thing.
    A couple of observations about the bolded part of your comments above. Keto/ LC dieters lose a significant amount of water weight up front but normalized over time, the fat loss is not any different than any other calories restricted method of dieting. It is the calorie deficit that caused the weight loss. Keto is just a path among many paths to get there. Given that you have IR issues, it is probably an effective path for you.

I can't ever imagine a scenario where I would think a diet of 70% carbs would be a good thing. The hierarchy of nutrients for max health and muscle mass preservation would be 1)protein 2)adequate fat for proper hormonal function 3) carbs with the rest. Just don't see how that could ever be accomplished with 70% carbs.

Oops, that was a mistype! 50% is what I meant. 45-65% is what is recommended by the Canadian food guide, for example.
  • mmapags
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Oops, that was a mistype! 50% is what I meant. 45-65% is what is recommended by the Canadian food guide, for example.

Ah, makes sense now. I even find that to be a little high but attainable probably. I just don't think in terms of any priority on carbs. If I hit the other 2, carbs fall between 100 and 200 grams when I'm cutting and 200 and 300 grams when I'm at maintenance. They just matter the least as long as there is enough to fuel the energy level for my training.