Pros and cons of a Keto Diet

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    Keto is how much of mankind lived for tens of thousands of years.

It is one of the most natural ways of eating for the human body and the body works best on ketones not glucose, for example your heart and brain.

Pros:

Loads of fiber, vitamins and minerals from the high intake of leafy green vegetables and other low carb vegetables. I never ate so many veggies in my life until I went on Keto!

Sharpened clarity of thinking - no more brain fog due to too many carbs.

Ward off the risk of cancer with very low carbs.

No hungry feelings anymore, because there are no longer any swings of insulin and blood sugar as I used to experience on a carb based diet.

Sustained energy throughout the day, lots of energy!

No longer craving the things I used to need a fix for, like ice cream, chocolate, and so on.

Cons:

You do need to make an effort to keep some variety going across different meals, if you're prone to getting bored. Same with lots of things in life really.

Nope.

Did you just say "nope" to what someone else experienced while doing low carb? Are you calling him a liar?

That's not what I got from it.

Maybe re-read the post he responded to.

The whole post.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    wolfruhn wrote: »
    Keto is how much of mankind lived for tens of thousands of years.

It is one of the most natural ways of eating for the human body and the body works best on ketones not glucose, for example your heart and brain.

Pros:

Loads of fiber, vitamins and minerals from the high intake of leafy green vegetables and other low carb vegetables. I never ate so many veggies in my life until I went on Keto!

Sharpened clarity of thinking - no more brain fog due to too many carbs.

Ward off the risk of cancer with very low carbs.

No hungry feelings anymore, because there are no longer any swings of insulin and blood sugar as I used to experience on a carb based diet.

Sustained energy throughout the day, lots of energy!

No longer craving the things I used to need a fix for, like ice cream, chocolate, and so on.

Cons:

You do need to make an effort to keep some variety going across different meals, if you're prone to getting bored. Same with lots of things in life really.

Nope.

Did you just say "nope" to what someone else experienced while doing low carb? Are you calling him a liar?

Read the very first line of that post he was replying to in particular.
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am Keto, don't have bad breath, don't eat loads of meat (many things contain protein) and the fat in my diet is not all dairy (fish for example has lots of healthy fat). I eat veggies and fruit every day but as stated by another member here...you have to choose your foods and manage your diet plan and the carb by making choices. Even if your counting calories, your making decisions and choices every day about what you eat. My optimal calorie count is in the same health range recommended by many plans and even MFP at 1300-1600.

Many Keto/low carb recipes are similar to gluten free recipes. Gluten is associated with inflammation and allergies. This tends to help Keto followers to also improve similar ailments. There is not a think I eat that I cant find a keto based/log carb recipe to substitute. My family can rarely tell the difference between those recipes and other less healthy forms. This week, I have had a piece of NY Baked Cheese cake for dessert, everyday! last week it was Chocolate cookies...the week before, Peanut butter Cookies. I do use a couple of non white flower substitutes when baking but Walmart and Kroger and Publix all carry them, all the time. I had the most amazing parmesan crusted Talipa last night with green beans. I grow a 1ac organic veggie garden and eat everything from tomatoes, egg plant and cabbage from it.

20g of carbs is not required for ketosis. It can be 30-40-50. It just depends on your goals. What is required is a specific balance of carbs/fat/protein to accomplish ketosis. Just loading on protein and being low in carbs in not the process. The web contains several good calculators to help you determine the marcos that work for you height/age/body fat content and your goals. They will also tell you the calorie counts for optimal results. You can actually play with scenarios in these calculators to tweak it to something that fits your life style. In fact, as you body fat decreases, you should recalculate because it affects ketosis and your macros.

Managing my weight and building muscle (with exercise of course) has improved for me, so much on the Keto Diet.

The bold is only true in those with celiac and allergies to wheat; similar to nuts or dairy. Outside of that, it doesn't cause chronic inflammation. Even more so, whole grains has actually been shown to improve health.

She said gluten is associated with inflammation and allergies ( which is true just like nuts and diary )...not it causes inflammation and allergies... and she got wooed and you got thumbs up...just like they said it would happen. I'm not a keto person but they are right...if they try to have a thread in here they get shredded

I am very well aware of gluten. And it still not associated with inflammation (unless you take the advice from wheat belly). I have quite a bit of experience with gluten free and have done a good amount of research. My wife has an autonomic disorder called POTS. Anecdotally, people have seen improvements by going gluten free; my wife was gluten free for 4 years. Unfortunately, there is very little actual science out there for gluten free. And that may because they havent developed the correct measures or techniques to evaluate it. But for the general populous, there isnt current evidence to support that claim.

At best with all my wife's medical issues, i have had every single gastroenterologist tell my wife to start eating gluten again because it wasn't benefiting her and could potentially cause other issues with her diverticulitis.

I think you're missing the point of what I was trying to say. The main message I was attempting to convey was the keto people are unfairly treated. She had one word being inflammation that you disagreed with so you pulled your monitor ruler out of of the desk and rapped her across the knuckles for it. You received thumbs up and she got wooed...as expected... out of four paragraphs over one word.

With that being said she used the word "associated" with inflammation not "causes". That's a true statement for some people whether there's scientific evidence to support it or not.

Per google:

Associate: verb- "connect (someone or something) with something else in one's mind."

I associate chilli with cold weather...there is no scientific evidence linking them,nor does there have to be to associate things together,but when I think of eating chilli I also think of it being eaten during a cold time of the year

The only reasons for anyone to call her out over her statement about gluten was because they didn't comprehend it or to instigate

Ketoers aren't being unfairly treated. If they come and spout BS about how you will lose more, easier faster and don't even need to reduce your calories or that it prevents and heals any ailment under the heavens, that's when people call them out on their wrong, unfounded crap.

Totally agree! Keto can have application for some folks and is just preferred by others. But, it's some of the ridiculous unsubstantiated claims made by some (not all) keto proponents that draws fire.

You know what? It's not even just the unsubstantiated claims. I realized this reading the discussion.

It's also the subtle, underlying premise: that's it's the way of eating that is responsible for everything experienced by keto eaters.

The simple fact is that losing weight is responsible for a large amount of what keto proponents attribute to keto itself and that the push back they receive is because they attribute it solely to their dietary choice.

Keto itself isn't responsible for a laundry list of health improvements that a lot of you folks claim it to be. Weight loss is. If more of you stopped with that ish, I think there'd be a lot less push back AND woo voting.

I think the bolded is more of an opinion than a fact. Keto'ers often (usually) attain health benefits well before any substantial weight is lost when looking at many health issues. I found that was true for me. It's not always true but it is far from uncommon.

As mmapags said, it takes a mere 10% reduction in weight to see benefits.

Additionally, many dieters experience relief of many symptoms simply by no longer OVEReating. The benefits have nothing to do with how they are eating, it has to do with eating less.

I believe that you have formed your view is the one that's opinion based, not mine.

Mine is an opinion, which is why I wrote "I think" instead of "a fact". It is based on my own experiences and what I have heard from other low carbers who are using the diet to address health issues on the Low Carber Daily boards.

But yes, it could be a 10% reduction in weight responsible for some benefits. No for others though. Within the first month of keto, during which I lost 10 lbs (over 5% reduction) and experienced better skin and hair, steadier energy, better BP, better BG control and no more reactive hypoglycemia, fewer headaches, and better cognitive abilities. For me, someone with IR, benefits came quickly.
    I think the bolded is more of an opinion than a fact. Keto'ers often (usually) attain health benefits well before any substantial weight is lost when looking at many health issues. I found that was true for me. It's not always true but it is far from uncommon.

You did state "I think" in regard to the previous posters statements being opinion but not in regard to the, as yet, unsubstantiated statement above. You stated unequivocally that Keto'ers often (usually) attain health benefits well before any substantial weight loss. You are saying that as a person with IR. Keto'er =/= IR. People do it for all reasons.

Again, if you have statistical data or studies that show your statement to be true, please do share. If not, fell free to identify it as just an opinion. To generalize from the specific of your N=1 experience is faulty logic.

You stated unequivocally we can reap health benefits from not overeating regardless of diet

If you have statistical data or studies to show your statements to be true, please do share. If not feel free to identify it as just an opinion. To generalize from the specifics of your N=1 experience is faulty logic

Rants don't get anyone off the hook for what they say reguardless of the thumbs up or woo birds. Although I share your opinion of reaping health benefits from losing weight you are just as guilty of making false claims as the people you seem intent to browbeat

This thread is supposed to be about the pros and cons of keto...meaning it's for people who are or were on the keto diet and the positives and negatives...not anyone's opinion about the keto diet. I have yet to see any of the keyboard commandos actually participating in the topic... it's seems like theyre only here to instigate. It's really too bad there isn't a monitor around to keep this thread on topic because the only reason I am following this thread is to see pros and cons of keto.

As I am an adult as everyone here should be...I am perfectly capable of deciding to validity of any claims made as anyone else here should be as well.

My post from the first page of this thread:
    Pros:

-Can increases insulin sensitivity in the insulin resistant.
    -Can help some with sweets cravings

Cons:
    -Unnecessary if you don't have either of the 2 issues above as keto has never been proven to have a metabolic advantage in any study where protein and calories were held constant.
    -Highly restrictive leading to long term compliance issues.
    -Doesn't develop successful long term eating habits unless you plan on doing forever (most aren't)."

My post from page 4 of this thread:
    Totally agree! Keto can have application for some folks and is just preferred by others. But, it's some of the ridiculous unsubstantiated claims made by some (not all) keto proponents that draws fire.

A post of mine from page 5 of this thread that shares a resource regarding possible drawbacks to keto diet for athletic performance:
    Interesting article that popped up tonight that relates to this discussion. Article is by James Fell. Includes input from Alan Aragon and Susan Kliener.
    http://www.bodyforwife.com/keto-and-low-carb-diets-kill-performance/

Includes multiple studies regarding keto diets and athletic performance.
    Quote from the article.
    "Susan Kleiner shared with me a screen shot of research examining ketogenic diet and athletic performance. Seventeen of the studies showed a performance decrease, and only two showed a performance increase, but both of those “performance increase” studies came with caveats (intensity was only moderate / carbohydrate loading for performance was possible / no muscle biopsies to prove ketogenic state)."

Athletic performance may not be important to all but if you are working out, the higher the intensity you can achieve, the greater the calorie burn.

So, you misidentified me as the one who stated a certain position and asked me to defend it and you somehow missed all of the above posts that addressed the topic of the thread. You also characterized post like mine as rants and insinuated that I'm a "keyboard commando". Lol, ironic that! A suggestion might be that you actually read more closely before you make such accusations.

Edited to add: It seems that when you are not getting confirmation of your thought process you result to name calling and ad hominem attacks instead of debating in the realm of facts, ideas and information. Eg. "rants", "keyboard commandos" "woo birds" .

I do apologize to you I did misidentify you.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I am Keto, don't have bad breath, don't eat loads of meat (many things contain protein) and the fat in my diet is not all dairy (fish for example has lots of healthy fat). I eat veggies and fruit every day but as stated by another member here...you have to choose your foods and manage your diet plan and the carb by making choices. Even if your counting calories, your making decisions and choices every day about what you eat. My optimal calorie count is in the same health range recommended by many plans and even MFP at 1300-1600.

Many Keto/low carb recipes are similar to gluten free recipes. Gluten is associated with inflammation and allergies. This tends to help Keto followers to also improve similar ailments. There is not a think I eat that I cant find a keto based/log carb recipe to substitute. My family can rarely tell the difference between those recipes and other less healthy forms. This week, I have had a piece of NY Baked Cheese cake for dessert, everyday! last week it was Chocolate cookies...the week before, Peanut butter Cookies. I do use a couple of non white flower substitutes when baking but Walmart and Kroger and Publix all carry them, all the time. I had the most amazing parmesan crusted Talipa last night with green beans. I grow a 1ac organic veggie garden and eat everything from tomatoes, egg plant and cabbage from it.

20g of carbs is not required for ketosis. It can be 30-40-50. It just depends on your goals. What is required is a specific balance of carbs/fat/protein to accomplish ketosis. Just loading on protein and being low in carbs in not the process. The web contains several good calculators to help you determine the marcos that work for you height/age/body fat content and your goals. They will also tell you the calorie counts for optimal results. You can actually play with scenarios in these calculators to tweak it to something that fits your life style. In fact, as you body fat decreases, you should recalculate because it affects ketosis and your macros.

Managing my weight and building muscle (with exercise of course) has improved for me, so much on the Keto Diet.

The bold is only true in those with celiac and allergies to wheat; similar to nuts or dairy. Outside of that, it doesn't cause chronic inflammation. Even more so, whole grains has actually been shown to improve health.

She said gluten is associated with inflammation and allergies ( which is true just like nuts and diary )...not it causes inflammation and allergies... and she got wooed and you got thumbs up...just like they said it would happen. I'm not a keto person but they are right...if they try to have a thread in here they get shredded

I am very well aware of gluten. And it still not associated with inflammation (unless you take the advice from wheat belly). I have quite a bit of experience with gluten free and have done a good amount of research. My wife has an autonomic disorder called POTS. Anecdotally, people have seen improvements by going gluten free; my wife was gluten free for 4 years. Unfortunately, there is very little actual science out there for gluten free. And that may because they havent developed the correct measures or techniques to evaluate it. But for the general populous, there isnt current evidence to support that claim.

At best with all my wife's medical issues, i have had every single gastroenterologist tell my wife to start eating gluten again because it wasn't benefiting her and could potentially cause other issues with her diverticulitis.

I think you're missing the point of what I was trying to say. The main message I was attempting to convey was the keto people are unfairly treated. She had one word being inflammation that you disagreed with so you pulled your monitor ruler out of of the desk and rapped her across the knuckles for it. You received thumbs up and she got wooed...as expected... out of four paragraphs over one word.

With that being said she used the word "associated" with inflammation not "causes". That's a true statement for some people whether there's scientific evidence to support it or not.

Per google:

Associate: verb- "connect (someone or something) with something else in one's mind."

I associate chilli with cold weather...there is no scientific evidence linking them,nor does there have to be to associate things together,but when I think of eating chilli I also think of it being eaten during a cold time of the year

The only reasons for anyone to call her out over her statement about gluten was because they didn't comprehend it or to instigate

Ketoers aren't being unfairly treated. If they come and spout BS about how you will lose more, easier faster and don't even need to reduce your calories or that it prevents and heals any ailment under the heavens, that's when people call them out on their wrong, unfounded crap.

You know what? It's not even just the unsubstantiated claims. I realized this reading the discussion.

It's also the subtle, underlying premise: that's it's the way of eating that is responsible for everything experienced by keto eaters.

The simple fact is that losing weight is responsible for a large amount of what keto proponents attribute to keto itself and that the push back they receive is because they attribute it solely to their dietary choice.

Keto itself isn't responsible for a laundry list of health improvements that a lot of you folks claim it to be. Weight loss is. If more of you stopped with that ish, I think there'd be a lot less push back AND woo voting.

Additionally, many dieters experience relief of many symptoms simply by no longer OVEReating. The benefits have nothing to do with how they are eating, it has to do with eating less.

I believe that you have formed your view is the one that's opinion based, not mine.

Mine is an opinion, which is why I wrote "I think" instead of "a fact". It is based on my own experiences and what I have heard from other low carbers who are using the diet to address health issues on the Low Carber Daily boards.

But yes, it could be a 10% reduction in weight responsible for some benefits. No for others though. Within the first month of keto, during which I lost 10 lbs (over 5% reduction) and experienced better skin and hair, steadier energy, better BP, better BG control and no more reactive hypoglycemia, fewer headaches, and better cognitive abilities. For me, someone with IR, benefits came quickly.

You did state "I think" in regard to the previous posters statements being opinion but not in regard to the, as yet, unsubstantiated statement above. You stated unequivocally that Keto'ers often (usually) attain health benefits well before any substantial weight loss. You are saying that as a person with IR. Keto'er =/= IR. People do it for all reasons.

Again, if you have statistical data or studies that show your statement to be true, please do share. If not, fell free to identify it as just an opinion. To generalize from the specific of your N=1 experience is faulty logic.

You're right. I should have typed "It seems to me that" keto'ers often (usually) attain health benefits well before any substantial weight is lost... That's my interpretation of what I often (to usually) see in low carb forums.

Because this is a pros and cons thread of keto, my experiences with the diet, and my interactions with others who on on the diet may be seen as revalent, although statistics could be interesting too. I doubt there are any stats on benefits or cons to the diet - at leat not without hours of research.

I added the fact that I have IR, as at least a third to half of North Americans do, because I felt that might be relavent to why the diet works so well for me. For someone who is completely metabolically healthy, a ketogenic diet may not have nearly as many benefits. I do realize that keto =/= IR. I believe it tends to offer the most benefits to those people though.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Pro: can help you control your epilepsy
    Con: can be dangerous - pay close attention to your doctor & dietician

As far as I know, a ketogenic diet is not dangerous unless you have a problem with fat metabolism or possibly familial hypercholesterolemia. Sort of like me saying tree nuts and gluten are dangerous. They aren't really unless you have a tree nut allergy or celiac disease. Same goes for a very low carb diet.

Unless you are thinking of diabetic ketoacidosis? Thankfully that is not a risk unless one has T1D and a situation where insulin was very low so blood glucose AND ketones are very high - at the same time. Someone eating low carb will never experience that unless they are T1D and it is not well managed in an acute situation.

My doctor actually did recommemd low carb to me. :) And my other doctor recommended less fat and higher carb. LOL ;)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Per google:

You're right. I should have typed "It seems to me that" keto'ers often (usually) attain health benefits well before any substantial weight is lost... That's my interpretation of what I often (to usually) see in low carb forums.

Because this is a pros and cons thread of keto, my experiences with the diet, and my interactions with others who on on the diet may be seen as revalent, although statistics could be interesting too. I doubt there are any stats on benefits or cons to the diet - at leat not without hours of research.

I added the fact that I have IR, as at least a third to half of North Americans do, because I felt that might be relavent to why the diet works so well for me. For someone who is completely metabolically healthy, a ketogenic diet may not have nearly as many benefits. I do realize that keto =/= IR. I believe it tends to offer the most benefits to those people though.

Good post. Just a note that if you are in low carb forums, there is likely to be a skewed view and some confirmation bias going on. So, it helps to consider that if objectivity is to be valued.

I don't know the numbers on IR in North America. Do you have a source for this? I do understand that this is a growing concern of epidemic proportions and I totally support the use of low carb and/or keto to address this. I think I've mentioned more than once in this thread that is the best and most useful application of keto/low carb.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

As far as I know, a ketogenic diet is not dangerous unless you have a problem with fat metabolism or possibly familial hypercholesterolemia. Sort of like me saying tree nuts and gluten are dangerous. They aren't really unless you have a tree nut allergy or celiac disease. Same goes for a very low carb diet.

Unless you are thinking of diabetic ketoacidosis? Thankfully that is not a risk unless one has T1D and a situation where insulin was very low so blood glucose AND ketones are very high - at the same time. Someone eating low carb will never experience that unless they are T1D and it is not well managed in an acute situation.

My doctor actually did recommemd low carb to me. :) And my other doctor recommended less fat and higher carb. LOL ;)

The only thing i can think of that would make keto dangerous is an inability to get adequate sodium from lavk of education. Similar to new plant based people who get protein deficiencies.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Per google:

Paragraph that starts with additionally.. I don't have to twist it you clearly state it has nothing to do with how they are eating it has to do with eating less.

I've already read the benefits of lowering calories but I've never seen or read anything stateing how someone is eating doesn't matter... other than your statement which I'm clearly not twisting.

ETA
    This thread is about the pros and cons of keto....I am just pointing out people inadvertently say things and no one likes to be called out

So if anyone is brave enough to share their experiences with keto perhaps they will be allowed to do so without being harassed

I'd be more surprised if you could find a controlles weight loss study that didn't improve metabolic markers. Its literally why every diet can tout the benefits of the diet is improved metabolic health. Really, do you know any diet thay doesnt improve health?

Personally, i believe in getting benefits from a variety of diets...

QFT!
  • nvmomketo
    Options

Per google:

Good post. Just a note that if you are in low carb forums, there is likely to be a skewed view and some confirmation bias going on. So, it helps to consider that if objectivity is to be valued.

I don't know the numbers on IR in North America. Do you have a source for this? I do understand that this is a growing concern of epidemic proportions and I totally support the use of low carb and/or keto to address this. I think I've mentioned more than once in this thread that is the best and most useful application of keto/low carb.

I'm sure there is some bias in the low carb forums. Makes sense. Those posting in there are either new or it works for them so they stick to it. More pros there.

Then again, the same applies here. Most around here are not doing low carb and if they did they stopped because something was not working for them. It's sort of a bias going the other way.

I have looked up the numbers for IR a number of times over the years, but I have stopped bookmarking and posting them after too many arguments against old posters... although some of those people are not often around now. Anyways, looking at stats on IR to include T2D, prediabetes, NAFLD, PCOS, taking into account some cases of Alzheimer's (now sometmes called T3D), as well as the estimated numbers of these diseases that are undiagnosed, plus instances where insulin is very high (post mortem)... well, the numbers are over 1/3 and can be well over half depending on which sources you look at. This is especially true if you look at health of people when they die and not just at any given moment in time. At age 20 to 40, most will not have IR issues. By age 60, 70, or 80+, the majority of people do. It seems most will develop some sort of IR if something else doesn't kill you first. I know something has to kill us in the end, but it doesn't look like IR was the late in life killer in the past that it is now.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

The only thing i can think of that would make keto dangerous is an inability to get adequate sodium from lavk of education. Similar to new plant based people who get protein deficiencies.

You've got a point. I have heard a handful of stories about people who actually ended up hospitalized due to eating low sodium after a large, fast drop in carb intake.

TBH, I think a good number of people who try keto and say they felt poorly may have been dealing with low sodium. Not all, or even most, but those who were not aware that you need the equivalent of 2+ teaspoons of about salt a day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Per google:

I'm sure there is some bias in the low carb forums. Makes sense. Those posting in there are either new or it works for them so they stick to it. More pros there.

Then again, the same applies here. Most around here are not doing low carb and if they did they stopped because something was not working for them. It's sort of a bias going the other way.

I have looked up the numbers for IR a number of times over the years, but I have stopped bookmarking and posting them after too many arguments against old posters... although some of those people are not often around now. Anyways, looking at stats on IR to include T2D, prediabetes, NAFLD, PCOS, taking into account some cases of Alzheimer's (now sometmes called T3D), as well as the estimated numbers of these diseases that are undiagnosed, plus instances where insulin is very high (post mortem)... well, the numbers are over 1/3 and can be well over half depending on which sources you look at. This is especially true if you look at health of people when they die and not just at any given moment in time. At age 20 to 40, most will not have IR issues. By age 60, 70, or 80+, the majority of people do. It seems most will develop some sort of IR if something else doesn't kill you first. I know something has to kill us in the end, but it doesn't look like IR was the late in life killer in the past that it is now.

To add, the arguments where on the prediabetes numbers, especially the undiagnosed.

There are about 8% of the US with confirmed prediabetes.... and about 30% or more undiagnosed. Considering the confirmed amount, id question their methods of data collection, assumptions or sampling. To have almost 4x the number of undiagnosed is ludicris.

Also, if you do a cross comparison of other countries with equivent obesity rates, the numbers are no where close which makes for an analogous comparisons to be different. Largely, that is driven by the standards we have in the US where our prediabetes numbers are much lower. Which i suspect we did that for greater precaution. And it probably helps justify budgetary justifications for Congress.