• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am Keto, don't have bad breath, don't eat loads of meat (many things contain protein) and the fat in my diet is not all dairy (fish for example has lots of healthy fat). I eat veggies and fruit every day but as stated by another member here...you have to choose your foods and manage your diet plan and the carb by making choices. Even if your counting calories, your making decisions and choices every day about what you eat. My optimal calorie count is in the same health range recommended by many plans and even MFP at 1300-1600.

Many Keto/low carb recipes are similar to gluten free recipes. Gluten is associated with inflammation and allergies. This tends to help Keto followers to also improve similar ailments. There is not a think I eat that I cant find a keto based/log carb recipe to substitute. My family can rarely tell the difference between those recipes and other less healthy forms. This week, I have had a piece of NY Baked Cheese cake for dessert, everyday! last week it was Chocolate cookies...the week before, Peanut butter Cookies. I do use a couple of non white flower substitutes when baking but Walmart and Kroger and Publix all carry them, all the time. I had the most amazing parmesan crusted Talipa last night with green beans. I grow a 1ac organic veggie garden and eat everything from tomatoes, egg plant and cabbage from it.

20g of carbs is not required for ketosis. It can be 30-40-50. It just depends on your goals. What is required is a specific balance of carbs/fat/protein to accomplish ketosis. Just loading on protein and being low in carbs in not the process. The web contains several good calculators to help you determine the marcos that work for you height/age/body fat content and your goals. They will also tell you the calorie counts for optimal results. You can actually play with scenarios in these calculators to tweak it to something that fits your life style. In fact, as you body fat decreases, you should recalculate because it affects ketosis and your macros.

Managing my weight and building muscle (with exercise of course) has improved for me, so much on the Keto Diet.

The bold is only true in those with celiac and allergies to wheat; similar to nuts or dairy. Outside of that, it doesn't cause chronic inflammation. Even more so, whole grains has actually been shown to improve health.

She said gluten is associated with inflammation and allergies ( which is true just like nuts and diary )...not it causes inflammation and allergies... and she got wooed and you got thumbs up...just like they said it would happen. I'm not a keto person but they are right...if they try to have a thread in here they get shredded

I am very well aware of gluten. And it still not associated with inflammation (unless you take the advice from wheat belly). I have quite a bit of experience with gluten free and have done a good amount of research. My wife has an autonomic disorder called POTS. Anecdotally, people have seen improvements by going gluten free; my wife was gluten free for 4 years. Unfortunately, there is very little actual science out there for gluten free. And that may because they havent developed the correct measures or techniques to evaluate it. But for the general populous, there isnt current evidence to support that claim.

At best with all my wife's medical issues, i have had every single gastroenterologist tell my wife to start eating gluten again because it wasn't benefiting her and could potentially cause other issues with her diverticulitis.

I think you're missing the point of what I was trying to say. The main message I was attempting to convey was the keto people are unfairly treated. She had one word being inflammation that you disagreed with so you pulled your monitor ruler out of of the desk and rapped her across the knuckles for it. You received thumbs up and she got wooed...as expected... out of four paragraphs over one word.

With that being said she used the word "associated" with inflammation not "causes". That's a true statement for some people whether there's scientific evidence to support it or not.

Per google:

Associate: verb- "connect (someone or something) with something else in one's mind."

I associate chilli with cold weather...there is no scientific evidence linking them,nor does there have to be to associate things together,but when I think of eating chilli I also think of it being eaten during a cold time of the year

The only reasons for anyone to call her out over her statement about gluten was because they didn't comprehend it or to instigate

Ketoers aren't being unfairly treated. If they come and spout BS about how you will lose more, easier faster and don't even need to reduce your calories or that it prevents and heals any ailment under the heavens, that's when people call them out on their wrong, unfounded crap.

Totally agree! Keto can have application for some folks and is just preferred by others. But, it's some of the ridiculous unsubstantiated claims made by some (not all) keto proponents that draws fire.

You know what? It's not even just the unsubstantiated claims. I realized this reading the discussion.

It's also the subtle, underlying premise: that's it's the way of eating that is responsible for everything experienced by keto eaters.

The simple fact is that losing weight is responsible for a large amount of what keto proponents attribute to keto itself and that the push back they receive is because they attribute it solely to their dietary choice.

Keto itself isn't responsible for a laundry list of health improvements that a lot of you folks claim it to be. Weight loss is. If more of you stopped with that ish, I think there'd be a lot less push back AND woo voting.

I think the bolded is more of an opinion than a fact. Keto'ers often (usually) attain health benefits well before any substantial weight is lost when looking at many health issues. I found that was true for me. It's not always true but it is far from uncommon.

My osteopath would not agree with you in most cases. His mantra is that for every 10% reduction in body weight, all kinds of things improve without taking any additional steps in overweight and obese people based on blood tests. The operative word is "most" people. In some people, there are health issues that will resolve with keto even if they don't lose weight.

So I think your use of the bolded phrase above is just plain not accurate. I'd be happy to look at any statistical or study data that indicates otherwise with an open mind. Honestly though, this is the kind of unsubstantiated(so far) claim that causes non keto folks to be extremely skeptical. I just don't know how you can make claims of "often" or "usually" without data to back it up. So, it just goes into the realm of a questionable claim based on subjective opinion that gets challenged.

ETA: It makes a huge difference in terms of perception for me when these kinds of general claims across a population aren't made and someone just says something like, "keto diet seems to improve my health in the following ways that I didn't experience when eating higher carb. It works for me." Either that or back up the claims from the get go because you can pretty much count on the fact that if they sound suspicious they are going to get challenged. And that doesn't just apply to keto threads. Body fat threads with claims get the same treatment as do Vegan threads or "I've replaced fat with muscle in 2 weeks" threads. Most people prefer to deal in proof and fact and not just conjecture.

I think the one exception was be BG control in diabetes or those with IR.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I am Keto, don't have bad breath, don't eat loads of meat (many things contain protein) and the fat in my diet is not all dairy (fish for example has lots of healthy fat). I eat veggies and fruit every day but as stated by another member here...you have to choose your foods and manage your diet plan and the carb by making choices. Even if your counting calories, your making decisions and choices every day about what you eat. My optimal calorie count is in the same health range recommended by many plans and even MFP at 1300-1600.

Many Keto/low carb recipes are similar to gluten free recipes. Gluten is associated with inflammation and allergies. This tends to help Keto followers to also improve similar ailments. There is not a think I eat that I cant find a keto based/log carb recipe to substitute. My family can rarely tell the difference between those recipes and other less healthy forms. This week, I have had a piece of NY Baked Cheese cake for dessert, everyday! last week it was Chocolate cookies...the week before, Peanut butter Cookies. I do use a couple of non white flower substitutes when baking but Walmart and Kroger and Publix all carry them, all the time. I had the most amazing parmesan crusted Talipa last night with green beans. I grow a 1ac organic veggie garden and eat everything from tomatoes, egg plant and cabbage from it.

20g of carbs is not required for ketosis. It can be 30-40-50. It just depends on your goals. What is required is a specific balance of carbs/fat/protein to accomplish ketosis. Just loading on protein and being low in carbs in not the process. The web contains several good calculators to help you determine the marcos that work for you height/age/body fat content and your goals. They will also tell you the calorie counts for optimal results. You can actually play with scenarios in these calculators to tweak it to something that fits your life style. In fact, as you body fat decreases, you should recalculate because it affects ketosis and your macros.

Managing my weight and building muscle (with exercise of course) has improved for me, so much on the Keto Diet.

The bold is only true in those with celiac and allergies to wheat; similar to nuts or dairy. Outside of that, it doesn't cause chronic inflammation. Even more so, whole grains has actually been shown to improve health.

She said gluten is associated with inflammation and allergies ( which is true just like nuts and diary )...not it causes inflammation and allergies... and she got wooed and you got thumbs up...just like they said it would happen. I'm not a keto person but they are right...if they try to have a thread in here they get shredded

I am very well aware of gluten. And it still not associated with inflammation (unless you take the advice from wheat belly). I have quite a bit of experience with gluten free and have done a good amount of research. My wife has an autonomic disorder called POTS. Anecdotally, people have seen improvements by going gluten free; my wife was gluten free for 4 years. Unfortunately, there is very little actual science out there for gluten free. And that may because they havent developed the correct measures or techniques to evaluate it. But for the general populous, there isnt current evidence to support that claim.

At best with all my wife's medical issues, i have had every single gastroenterologist tell my wife to start eating gluten again because it wasn't benefiting her and could potentially cause other issues with her diverticulitis.

I think you're missing the point of what I was trying to say. The main message I was attempting to convey was the keto people are unfairly treated. She had one word being inflammation that you disagreed with so you pulled your monitor ruler out of of the desk and rapped her across the knuckles for it. You received thumbs up and she got wooed...as expected... out of four paragraphs over one word.

With that being said she used the word "associated" with inflammation not "causes". That's a true statement for some people whether there's scientific evidence to support it or not.

Per google:

Associate: verb- "connect (someone or something) with something else in one's mind."

I associate chilli with cold weather...there is no scientific evidence linking them,nor does there have to be to associate things together,but when I think of eating chilli I also think of it being eaten during a cold time of the year

The only reasons for anyone to call her out over her statement about gluten was because they didn't comprehend it or to instigate

Ketoers aren't being unfairly treated. If they come and spout BS about how you will lose more, easier faster and don't even need to reduce your calories or that it prevents and heals any ailment under the heavens, that's when people call them out on their wrong, unfounded crap.

Totally agree! Keto can have application for some folks and is just preferred by others. But, it's some of the ridiculous unsubstantiated claims made by some (not all) keto proponents that draws fire.

You know what? It's not even just the unsubstantiated claims. I realized this reading the discussion.

It's also the subtle, underlying premise: that's it's the way of eating that is responsible for everything experienced by keto eaters.

The simple fact is that losing weight is responsible for a large amount of what keto proponents attribute to keto itself and that the push back they receive is because they attribute it solely to their dietary choice.

Keto itself isn't responsible for a laundry list of health improvements that a lot of you folks claim it to be. Weight loss is. If more of you stopped with that ish, I think there'd be a lot less push back AND woo voting.

I think the bolded is more of an opinion than a fact. Keto'ers often (usually) attain health benefits well before any substantial weight is lost when looking at many health issues. I found that was true for me. It's not always true but it is far from uncommon.

My osteopath would not agree with you in most cases. His mantra is that for every 10% reduction in body weight, all kinds of things improve without taking any additional steps in overweight and obese people based on blood tests. The operative word is "most" people. In some people, there are health issues that will resolve with keto even if they don't lose weight.

So I think your use of the bolded phrase above is just plain not accurate. I'd be happy to look at any statistical or study data that indicates otherwise with an open mind. Honestly though, this is the kind of unsubstantiated(so far) claim that causes non keto folks to be extremely skeptical. I just don't know how you can make claims of "often" or "usually" without data to back it up. So, it just goes into the realm of a questionable claim based on subjective opinion that gets challenged.

ETA: It makes a huge difference in terms of perception for me when these kinds of general claims across a population aren't made and someone just says something like, "keto diet seems to improve my health in the following ways that I didn't experience when eating higher carb. It works for me." Either that or back up the claims from the get go because you can pretty much count on the fact that if they sound suspicious they are going to get challenged. And that doesn't just apply to keto threads. Body fat threads with claims get the same treatment as do Vegan threads or "I've replaced fat with muscle in 2 weeks" threads. Most people prefer to deal in proof and fact and not just conjecture.

Yup, these are the ones where there is actual research that proves results. I don't eat keto. But I do eat low carb due to a family history with T2D. So I keep carbs under 200 usually and between 100 and 150 gr often. Just happen to get numbers today for my annual physical on Monday. BG was in range but at the upper end. A1c was middle of good range. Depending on my doctor's recommendations, I may lower carbs.
  • emailmehere1122
    emailmehere1122 Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

Per google:

As mmapags said, it takes a mere 10% reduction in weight to see benefits.

Additionally, many dieters experience relief of many symptoms simply by no longer OVEReating. The benefits have nothing to do with how they are eating, it has to do with eating less.

I believe that you have formed your view is the one that's opinion based, not mine.

Would you mind sharing the links to the info about the benefits not having anything to do about what you're eating but how much. Ive read the ones about limiting calories but I've never seen any that state the type of foods you're eating do not matter. Thank you
  • mmapags
    Options

Per google:

Additionally, many dieters experience relief of many symptoms simply by no longer OVEReating. The benefits have nothing to do with how they are eating, it has to do with eating less.

I believe that you have formed your view is the one that's opinion based, not mine.

Would you mind sharing the links to the info about the benefits not having anything to do about what you're eating but how much. Ive read the ones about limiting calories but I've never seen any that state the type of foods you're eating do not matter. Thank you

Where did anyone state that the types of foods your eating does not matter? I don't see that stated anywhere. BTW, feel free to google the Twinkie Diet. The practitioner ate lots of twinkies and generally a poor diet nutritionally but stayed in calorie deficit and lost weight. Their blood markers improved.

Would I recommend this? Nope. I think people should eat a diet rich in nutritious foods and, over the long term they will realize healthy outcomes combined with a healthy body weight. There are many ways to do that and which way is a personal choice. The fact remains though that, with the exception of a limited population with specific issues, keto holds not metabolic advantage that has ever been proven in any study that has held calories and protein constant.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Per google:

Mine is an opinion, which is why I wrote "I think" instead of "a fact". It is based on my own experiences and what I have heard from other low carbers who are using the diet to address health issues on the Low Carber Daily boards.

But yes, it could be a 10% reduction in weight responsible for some benefits. No for others though. Within the first month of keto, during which I lost 10 lbs (over 5% reduction) and experienced better skin and hair, steadier energy, better BP, better BG control and no more reactive hypoglycemia, fewer headaches, and better cognitive abilities. For me, someone with IR, benefits came quickly.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I tried keto for a little while. In the end, I decided it wasn’t for me, but I’m glad I did it. I learned that protein + fiber keeps me full for hours and hours. I also learned that high fat intake makes me incredibly sleepy and... uh... not socially acceptable.
  • mmapags
    Options

Per google:

Mine is an opinion, which is why I wrote "I think" instead of "a fact". It is based on my own experiences and what I have heard from other low carbers who are using the diet to address health issues on the Low Carber Daily boards.

But yes, it could be a 10% reduction in weight responsible for some benefits. No for others though. Within the first month of keto, during which I lost 10 lbs (over 5% reduction) and experienced better skin and hair, steadier energy, better BP, better BG control and no more reactive hypoglycemia, fewer headaches, and better cognitive abilities. For me, someone with IR, benefits came quickly.

You did state "I think" in regard to the previous posters statements being opinion but not in regard to the, as yet, unsubstantiated statement above. You stated unequivocally that Keto'ers often (usually) attain health benefits well before any substantial weight loss. You are saying that as a person with IR. Keto'er =/= IR. People do it for all reasons.

Again, if you have statistical data or studies that show your statement to be true, please do share. If not, fell free to identify it as just an opinion. To generalize from the specific of your N=1 experience is faulty logic.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Per google:

Actually, BG control can be seen quickly even without keto. Managing carbs at the ideal level for the individual (anywhere from keto levels to moderate levels) and exercise will frequently bring BG under control before the weight loss even becomes visible.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    No beer make Homer something something...

Why no beer? I drank beer when I was doing low carb. You just have to find a low carb beer that you like.