Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pros and cons of a Keto Diet

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Pro: Can help you lose weight quickly, cures T2 diabetes if you stick with it, can resolve thyroid and PCOS issues. Can also be helpful if you have cancer as it tends to starve cancer cells from glucose.

Cons: Very restrictive and NOT for T1 diabetics, dangerous for them.

It can be a lifestyle/diet, or it can be used as a tool for a week or two to shed lbs after a vacation. Many tools in the toolbox.

Not any more dangerous than any other diet. There are several very active T1 diabetics in the LCHF forum who have been LCHF for years and swear by this WOE.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

While this is one of the more logical pieces of information I have seen from him, for some reason his writings still get to me. :D

I haven't read enough of him in the last 5 years to be gassed by his writing anymore. But I was at one time. I thought this article was one of the better ones he's written. He actually pokes criticism at a couple of people he used to promote like Attia.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    The biggest con of the Keto diet is dealing with some of it's proponents. Many of whom simply can't seem to contain themselves from advocating rank nonsense. Misleading people, especially those who are new and often do not know any better, is my biggest issue with the "diet"

So technically it is not the diet that bothers you, but people who are misinformed or uneducated in this specific diet? Ignorance?

You may want to consider avoiding keto threads. I find it simpler to avoid threads that I know will irritate me.

• nvmomketo

While this is one of the more logical pieces of information I have seen from him, for some reason his writings still get to me. :D

I don't read him often but someone shared this in the low carb forum and it had a lot of support there.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    The biggest con of the Keto diet is dealing with some of it's proponents. Many of whom simply can't seem to contain themselves from advocating rank nonsense. Misleading people, especially those who are new and often do not know any better, is my biggest issue with the "diet"

So technically it is not the diet that bothers you, but people who are misinformed or uneducated in this specific diet? Ignorance?

You may want to consider avoiding keto threads. I find it simpler to avoid threads that I know will irritate me.

They normally do not get away with it for long in any event, as other people are quick to chime in also, as they have here. This is why they tend to stick with anecdotes, since they are more difficult to refute, or else vague innuendo, cherry picked or illegitimate data, or flat out subterfuge when all else fails.

Experience of threads like this has taught me that when confronted with an obvious vague falsehood the Keto crowd will just make up further vague falsehoods to obscure and detract from the original. It's like trying to have an intelligent conversation with a conspiracy theorist.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

I don't read him often but someone shared this in the low carb forum and it had a lot of support there.

Im shocked you say that :p
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member

They normally do not get away with it for long in any event, as other people are quick to chime in also, as they have here. This is why they tend to stick with anecdotes, since they are more difficult to refute, or else vague innuendo, cherry picked or illegitimate data, or flat out subterfuge when all else fails.

Experience of threads like this has taught me that when confronted with an obvious vague falsehood the Keto crowd will just make up further vague falsehoods to obscure and detract from the original. It's like trying to have an intelligent conversation with a conspiracy theorist.

Singling out one particular group shows ignorance on your part because those uniformed zealots are a part of every single diet out there. And there will be more of them as it relates to trendy diets. So if those types bother you, i might be worth not joining the threads and just let it go.

Can't argue with that one, except to say it is far from ignorant to recognize historical trends and their propensity within certain groups. Though you have to hand it to them in one respect, they have staying power despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of their claims have almost zero credibility.

To your other point, I have little difficulty disagreeing without being disagreeable.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Pro: can help you control your epilepsy
    Con: can be dangerous - pay close attention to your doctor & dietician

As far as I know, a ketogenic diet is not dangerous unless you have a problem with fat metabolism or possibly familial hypercholesterolemia. Sort of like me saying tree nuts and gluten are dangerous. They aren't really unless you have a tree nut allergy or celiac disease. Same goes for a very low carb diet.

Unless you are thinking of diabetic ketoacidosis? Thankfully that is not a risk unless one has T1D and a situation where insulin was very low so blood glucose AND ketones are very high - at the same time. Someone eating low carb will never experience that unless they are T1D and it is not well managed in an acute situation.

My doctor actually did recommemd low carb to me. :) And my other doctor recommended less fat and higher carb. LOL ;)

There are also issues with causing/aggravating kidney disorders.

No. Ketosis does not cause kidney problems. It can benefit those with kidney issues from T2D though.

Ketogenic diets are not typically high protein.

I think you need to get out more.

Perhaps in your little corner of the world, that may be true, but for the typical dieter going to keto/LC. They're going High protein.
  • psuLemon

As far as I know, a ketogenic diet is not dangerous unless you have a problem with fat metabolism or possibly familial hypercholesterolemia. Sort of like me saying tree nuts and gluten are dangerous. They aren't really unless you have a tree nut allergy or celiac disease. Same goes for a very low carb diet.

Unless you are thinking of diabetic ketoacidosis? Thankfully that is not a risk unless one has T1D and a situation where insulin was very low so blood glucose AND ketones are very high - at the same time. Someone eating low carb will never experience that unless they are T1D and it is not well managed in an acute situation.

My doctor actually did recommemd low carb to me. :) And my other doctor recommended less fat and higher carb. LOL ;)

No. Ketosis does not cause kidney problems. It can benefit those with kidney issues from T2D though.

Perhaps in your little corner of the world, that may be true, but for the typical dieter going to keto/LC. They're going High protein.

I think you tend to see higher protein ketogenic diets in the body building community a bit more, especially during contest prep; hell, most people don't realise the Lyle McDonald is one of the most knowledgeable researchers of ketogenic.. Nutritional ketosis tends to get protein a bit lower. But it's really splitting hairs at that point.
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2017

Singling out one particular group shows ignorance on your part because those uniformed zealots are a part of every single diet out there. And there will be more of them as it relates to trendy diets. So if those types bother you, i might be worth not joining the threads and just let it go.

Can't argue with that one, except to say it is far from ignorant to recognize historical trends and their propensity within certain groups. Though you have to hand it to them in one respect, they have staying power despite the fact that the overwhelming majority of their claims have almost zero credibility.

To your other point, I have little difficulty disagreeing without being disagreeable.

To address the ignorance. It is mind blowing that you stereotyped a group based on the fact you believe the misrepresentation of facts only pertains to a specific group of people based on a vocal minority. I have seen the same arguments from vegans, IF'ers, IIFYM, Paleo/Primal, to LCHF/Keto. Zealots follow every single diet.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Not true for me when i did keto. The biggest obstacle i faced was keeping my protein down to 20-25% (100ish grams), i most always went over.
  • nvmomketo

Im shocked you say that :p

;)
  • nvmomketo
    edited October 2017

I think you are incorrect. From what I have seen, the vast majority of keto'ers follow moderate protein.

Even when I eat carnivore (all animal = almost zero carb) my protein is rarely above 25%.