WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday!

I woke up at 12:30 this morning with a sinus headache, and puppy was licking something.... I panicked and thought she was after her incision, so we slept in recliner in the living room the rest of the night. Good news is the incision doesn't seem to be bothering her. Yesterday I gave her benedryl which made her just sleepy enough to not want to play, and I'll continue doping her with it. We don't have a cone, but in a pinch, a bulky towel can be wrapped around her neck and secured with double sticky "vet wrap" to minimize her reaching around to lick her tummy. Counting the days until she can resume being a normal puppy. Tho having her a bit slowed down is a relief, lol.

Regarding why/when MFP, I joined last December, I think it was Christmas eve. I had been a member of Weight Watchers for years and liked their online logging and their community. They changed the format early last year, it had a lot of bugs, they raised the price a LOT, did away with the community so I was looking for something else. Stumbled onto MFP which did everything WW online did (and more) at a fraction of the price, and this community is much better than WW's ever was.

So much good advice and inspiration here. I never would have started strength training had I not come into this group and gotten my blood pressure under control. I've lost a few pounds to boot!

Welcome newbies! A big (((HUG))) to those of you going thru rough times in the binging department. Been there so many times. I think this whole past month (since Mid-Sept!) has been trying for a lot of us.

For me, it was a culmination of the heat, allergies, health concerns for my DH. Easy to get into a funk and go to Little Debbie for support. Done with her for now, she really doesn't give good advice!

Lanette

Chilly SW WA State (33f!)

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Just returned from funeral of an old friend, hadn't seen him in a long while. He was a lovely guy and a thorough gentleman. Service was in the Crematorium, it was conducted by a member of The Humanist Society and was a lovely celebration of a life well lived with input from 2 of his grandaughters. First time for me at Humanist ceremony.

Kate UK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Heather: Your vacation near your grandchildren was a wonderful idea. I wonder whether I could get DH to do something like that. :star:

JanetR: I love your Boo Tree & mantle decorations! :bigsmile:

Wendy: Your description of making queens is fascinating, but I can tell you without doubt, I'm not brave enough to try it. I am really impressed with your courage and tenacity. I don't fear bees and enjoy having them in my garden. I've seen them working in a patch of "wild" geraniums in my garden many times, including yesterday. We don't usually have a hard frost before November. :flowerforyou:

Michele: Do you share your shrimp gumbo recipe? I think DH would love it. :heart:

Allie: How old is your dad? Wish him happy birthday from me. I still miss my dad after 30 years. :flowerforyou:

Beth: (((Hugs for your niece.)))

Marcelyn: Your sister is amazing. It is so lucky that she was able to help with the emergency baby delivery. What does she do in Africa? :star:

Machka: I've shared my story before, but it has been quite a while. DH gave me riding lessons as a present. The teacher had a lovely old thoroughbred with a great gait and good manners. His name was/is Irish. During one of my lessons she decided I needed to work on posting and she had me posting for a whole hour. I irritated my knee to the point that I went to a doctor for the pain. He diagnosed me with bursitis. Bottom line, I was too heavy for my knee to cope with posting for such a long time. It made me furious with myself that I was too heavy to do the one thing I wanted to do most, ride. Then while we were out shopping for clothes to wear to my son's wedding I had a tough time finding any that fit. I googled weight loss on my phone out of desperation. Two responses came up. Weight Watchers was one, and myfitnesspal was the other. I chose myfitnesspal because counting calories makes more sense to me than the weight watchers points system. It took a couple of years to get to my goal weight. I'm still here because I need to have the discipline of calorie counting to stay at my goal weight and because this group of women is the best support group in the world. Today is my 1821st day. :heart:

Dana: Smaller clothing is tangible proof that we're succeeding. Congratulations on your progress! :bigsmile:

(((Sharon in Lethbridge)))

oliveglave: Welcome to a great group of supportive women! My suggestion for depression is exercise, vitamin D3, and this wonderful group of women. One of the things that we do is to set goals for each month. Mine are always the same because they work for me. I'll share them at the bottom of my post today so you can take a look and start thinking about what you want for yourself. :flowerforyou:

Yoga today! Yay!!!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

October 2017 Resolutions:

1: Log every bite and swallow;
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Back at work. Only a couple of Fridays left before Nov 1st and I have to start working them again. I’m going to miss that day off.

Marcelyn, your get away sounds fun. My daughter and I go away for a weekend sometimes and we love it. The movie Thor will be out soon and we always go to those. Olivia says is great eye candy. Lol Wow and congrats on the new grandbaby! How amazing that your sister could deliver it. Boy or girl? I don’t think you said.

Evely, thy eating an orange when you crave chocolate. I heard it is supposed to help with the craving.

Machka, what brought me to MFP is a call I took on nutrition. We were tracking calories there and it was suggested that we use MFP. Had never heard of it before then. Tracking calories works for me because it has a definite structure. I’m terrible at judging amounts and calories. MFP is an easy way to do this. I just love, love love the camera feature which allows me to scan the bar codes on foods and it automatically put it in MFP. I then just have to adjust the serving size. Also like the recipe feature which imports a recipe and ingredients. It saves so much time and guess work. So I’ve only been doing this since May. I’m down 34 (with about 50 more to go) and seem to be able to stay with it. I’ve been off and on for years and feeling bad about myself. I got so tired of thinking of food 24/7 and what I should do. Now I just have to get the exercise going. That’s my last hurdle.

Dana, the wreath is pretty simple. Just get one of the fake wreaths (make sure you pull out the branches and shape it first). I get mine at Michael’s. Actually if you want to do a fall one it’s a good time as their fall items are on sale now. You will need silk flowers and anything that looks like it would fit a wreath. I put pine cones in mine too. If I’m making a Christmas one I put in the pine cones that smell like cinnamon and sometimes battery operated lights. I also like baby’s breath and other little things as filler. Put your largest items on first and just add enough “filler” items to fill it up. I put most of the big items on first to see how it is going to look. Once I get them placed the way I want them, then I use a glue gun to glue them on. On a Christmas one I put a bow on first then decorate. Also, don’t forget to attach a piece of wire for hanging. If you have any questions, just let me know. It’s kind of hard to explain. Good luck with your Neurologist appointment.

Joyce, I always chose candy I didn’t like to give out to the kids. Is there a candy Charlie like that you don’t? Get stubborn and show Charlie you can stay away from it! Put signs to yourself all around the leftover candy.

Katla, so glad to hear you husband had good results.

Sharon, I know what you mean about words you have heard swirling in your head. I think that your mom was speaking from another time when people stayed in bad marriages. Thankfully, we don’t have to do that anymore. I also have one in my head from my mom saying stay in touch with your sister. I can’t do that because she has some mental issues (although she says she doesn’t which is the problem) and can’t have that drama around me. At times it really bothers me but I can’t be my mother and enable her. It’s hard I know.

Heather, it must be good to have the paining done, even if you will miss the painter. Sounds like he is an interesting guy.

Chris, I knew you could get back on track. Good for you!

Will check in again later.

Terry in rainy VT
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    So here's a question for you all ...

What brought you to MFP? Why MFP? Why calorie logging?

M in Oz

This spring I turned 52. My weight had edged past overweight into obese and something had to change. Calorie counting as the way to weight loss has always been around in my life, growing up Mom had several volumes of books with calorie listings but no weights/measurements usually - so you can imagine how impossible it was for her with ‘1 medium banana’ = 100 calories as a guide.

Knowing I’d have to lose weight, and that such reference books had to be old school by now, I naturally looked for a better tracking method. I found two apps: MFP and Lose it! — and quite frankly I stuck with MFP because I like looking at blue more than I like looking at orange. Weird maybe but the truth I’m using MFP because I don’t much like the color orange.

As for those 1980’s era jeans I have, if I ever fit into them again I’ll rock ‘em! I never worried about fashionable - much to my mother, sister and friend’s occasional mirth or dismay. Do I like the piece of clothing? Is it in good shape? Does it fit? Those are really the only things I consider. My taste rarely runs trendy or wild tho so it is usually unnoticeable. My hats, tho are another story. I so rarely see any women in hats- other than ball cap type - so I do stand out that way.

Still recovering from fluish symptoms here. Hot flashes on top of dizzy head throb made for a pretty miserable couple of days. Watching the Cubs lose Saturday was adding insult to injury here - hah.

I did see one of my lovely nieces yesterday tho, she’s now a senior in college and quite a wonderful young woman - that was fun. I think she and her boyfriend are quite serious about their relationship. She deserves some peace and happiness as she has had a pretty hard life up til college- after her parents divorced I’d say she spent as much time being her disabled sister’s caretaker as much as either parent did. Never a complaint or peep out of her about it either, but it has been amazing to watch her bloom now that she is on her own with no extraordinary responsibilities.

Cin Cin a tutti!

Rye
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Thanks for the input ladies! I have been sharing your responses with my niece. She has another appointment with her pediatrician Wednesday (gastro doctor was at the pediatrician's suggestion) and plans to discuss where to go from here. Her mother (my ex SIL) was visiting this weekend and did nothing but tear her down for being an incompetent mother ... sigh ...

This week promises to be a busy one ... and I'm hoping to really get my meal prep and eating under control. While it will make not one bit of difference on how I look for Saturday's wedding, I will feel better ... and my self-esteem will be a little higher ...if I'm not bloated!

Beth near Buffalo

Hi, Beth. I didn't get a chance to respond this weekend, but wanted to send my best wishes to your niece and her daughter. I second getting another doctor's opinion. I think adding cereal to formula has been pretty much discouraged by most reasonable professionals. Maybe she could try putting her to the breast again?

Much love to her.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy World Post Day!

Here in the U.S. the Post Office often gets a bad rap, but I think it's pretty remarkable what they accomplish.

Allie - I'm glad to hear your condo is looking like a home!

Marcelyn - Wow, 20 minutes of labor?! That baby was sure in a hurry. Some vacation for your sister!

Machka - I moved over here from Livestrong.com when it became apparent that site wasn't very open to individual differences. I'd been doing the yo-yo thing with my weight for years and got to a point where I was ready to try again, knowing it would just get harder the older I got. I think someone originally recommended Livestrong, and once I got started I found it useful to log my calories and exercise. The longer I've done it, the more it became apparent that doing so made cause and effect very clear in my mind.

I had a lovely weekend with my sister and brother-in-law at the river, and we got a lot of stuff done. But my cell signal was even worse than usual, so all I managed to do was log in every day during trips to the grocery store where I had a weak signal. Today my hands are hurting from all the work, and I've got to get a meal plan together for the week.

-Yvonne in TX
  • caminogirl
    caminogirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the help drkatiebug and M in Oz. I am feeling a bit silly as what is obviously (now!) forward and back was looking like quotation marks on my phone. A case of 100% operator error and the need for another eye checkup!
    Cathy in ON
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    So here's a question for you all ...

What brought you to MFP? Why MFP? Why calorie logging?

-

Years ago, after I had my gall bladder removed, I decided to get my health back together, so I lost about 25 pounds and then found this site. I lost another ten pounds, I guess, then drifted from this site to a triathlon board. I was doing serious training (usually two workouts a day), so conventional wisdom said not to reduce while doing that. That was fine, and I maintained my weight at about 130-135 while doing that. Then I got terribly sick, had to quit training, didn't stop eating, diagnosed with celiac, a little depression, still not training, then had a vocational crisis at work, more depression and eating, and by time we moved to Oregon in July 2016, I was back to nearly 170. I let it go until December, and I'm not really sure why I decided to do something about it. My husband went to a weight doctor for his weight/eating issues and started losing. He accused me, in as kind a way as possible, that I might be obese (I wasn't), so I ran the numbers and realized that I was very overweight. I remembered tracking before, so reactivated my account here, and started tracking again. (Not so humble brag -- I'm now a healthy BMI, while he is still technically obese.)

I need to calorie log, and I've decided that in order to maintain a reasonable weight, I am probably going to need to do it forever. Fortunately, I don't mind doing it, and the site is easier to use than it was years ago when I was using it, so it doesn't take any time at all. Even though the exercise calories are over-estimated, I still think logging exercise is also a good thing to do. I remember years ago, when I started losing, I didn't have a concept of how many calories I was burning. I remember the first time I walked 30 minutes on the treadmill and realized that I'd burned the equivalent of a small apple. That probably changed my whole life, not to be too dramatic. It was too easy to think, oh, I walked for an hour, so I can eat that piece of cake. Hardly! :smiley:

At this weight and fitness level, I feel more like myself than when I am 35-40 pounds heavier. I don't want to go back. Ever. I feel like I have the tools and knowledge now to keep that from happening, in a way that I've never had before.

Even though I don't post that much, I also think that logging into this thread every day helps me. You ladies keep me accountable and on track. And I appreciate you a lot.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,292 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Machka - I lost weight many years ago using caloriecount. This time around, that site is gone and I found this one and it looked like a good alternate for me. As for why I started trying to lose again...my hub was having gall bladder issues so we were trying to do a low fat diet to keep him from having flare ups while he waited on test results. At the same time, I went to the Dr for a knee issue and when they said my weight, I about died. Something inside me just flipped and I haven't had any trouble (yet) sticking to my daily calorie goals. My problem now is the opposite, I often find myself having a tablespoon (or two) of peanut butter in the evenings to hit my minimum intake. I am either all in or not in at all (which is why I gained it ALL back last time). I am fortunate that my hub will eat whatever I make for dinner and not complain. He is also trying to lose and is doing so successfully.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Oliveglave, welcome! You have come to the right group. I too have depression and am on medication. That pretty much takes care of it except there are times when I get a couple of weeks where it doesn’t. It’s hard to give suggestions as everyone is different. For me, I will put in all my food for the day and then it is easier to follow. I also make my breakfast and lunch for work the night before. I never tell myself I can’t have anything, then I want it more. On occasion I have something that isn’t planned and over my calorie limit. I still put it in MFP as seeing what the calories are usually shocks me into thinking differently next time I want it. I think your goal is good. I started with just one goal and then the goal changed as I went along. I have only been doing this since May so I’m a newbie too. I think you will find the support you need here. Tell us a little about yourself and what you want to be called.

Lanette, that must be so hard for your puppy. Hopefully he is on the mend. I bet Little Debbie isn’t little!

Kate, funerals are so hard. Sounds like it was a nice ceremony.

Rye, Yes you will rock those jeans! My daughter went clothes shopping with me the last time. Had to find some inexpensive in between ones. I’m still not below 200 (so very close!) but she made me try on some pants that were form fitting with straight legs. I was surprised but they actually made me look thinner. Now I only buy straight legs. I look terrible in hats just like my mother.

Yvonne, glad you had a nice visit with your sister and bil.

Heard from my SIL that they have to file with FEMA on-line. HELLO! PR has no power. Unbelievable. She was able to reach a cousin in Florida who filed for my MIL but they had no record of my SIL’s SSN so couldn’t file for her. They sure knew it when she was paying her taxes though. So she wasn’t able to file. Don’t know what she will do. No government offices are open so she can’t file for unemployment. They are still struggling to find food and the humidity is 80% and over 100 degrees. I would die if I was there. I don’t do well in the heat. I’m starting to worry about them getting sick with the heat and all the standing water. It is so nerve wracking. Makes me want to just cry. You feel so powerless. My DH was going to send them a couple of fans but he couldn’t find any battery operated ones at Home Depot that would last more than 4 hours at a time. They have one that last about 4 days. Going to have to look on-line and see if we can find the one they have and send it to them with some batteries. Will have to send it Fed EX or UPS as by regular mail things are being stolen. What a mess.

Ok enough about that…I’m doing well with my eating but with exercising not so much. Going to see if I can find a 15min workout on-line that I can do in the morning before or after work that won’t bother my foot too much. Maybe starting slow will help get me motivated to continue. I know 15min isn’t much but I have to start somewhere.

Well lunch hour is done so back to work. ((HUGS) Terry in still rainy VT
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,945 Member
    Options
    oliveglave wrote: »
    I'm a newbie to community. I did ok in Sept but Oct hasn't started out well at all. I struggle with depression so I have trouble eating healthy, being active, and even logging in. Any suggestions? I guess my goal for Oct has to be to be consistent.

:) I don't have experience with depression, but in general it has been my experience that having a plan is a good way to deal with the bumps of life. Having to make decisions can be exhausting and overwhelming. Take the time to shop for the right food and plan some meals that you can have over and over. Have a plan for what you do each day so you don't have to decide what to do. Having an automatic routine may be helpful. It has been for me.

:) Logging in and coming to this thread will bring you to a bunch of supportive women who will encourage you.

<3 Barbie
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Langman (I don't know your name) ~ Feel so sorry about the situation your SIL and MIL are in. I hope they will get some help soon. Prayers for them.

Carol in GA
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Terry, that is crazy about your MiL and SiL - but this FEMA page says they can do something by phone (hoping they can access a phone). You probably already know this, and are familiar with the link but just in case I stumbled on a page your family did not, I include it here. Please do keep us updated on how they are doing there, I have been worrying about how they are doing whenever I watch news.

https://www.fema.gov/news-release/2017/09/21/federal-aid-programs-commonwealth-puerto-rico

nslr5woef6ex.png
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who recalled my birthday! And if you didn't , well, that's good, too.
    I will expound on 2 items. BETH I do not know much really about babies but, I used to walk the floor with one for hours when she went to a babysitter and I worked. Some things that seemed to work-I played soothing music and sang. I also sang to the baby before it was born. Get in the shower or bath with baby and pat its back. I know folks say you can't just carry/hold baby all the time but why not? I worked when baby was very young so I held him when I was home--I missed him and worried over him all the time. LENORA I tried to send you a private message but it did not work. If your child has had more than 1 miscarriage, tell her to remind her doctor and ask to be put on blood-thinner shots. There is some odd sort of thing that makes some women want to expel the baby as an allergic reaction? If not, the shots are painful but won't hurt her in the long-run. She has to stop the blood-thinner 24 hours before she gives birth. After 2 miscarriages or losses, we did that the next time. I lost one baby but held the son I have now. And tell her not to tell anyone the next time until she is past 6 months. She seems to know the same people I knew who assured me it was for the best and I did not need a baby. We sent out an ultrasound picture with Christmas cards when I was 6 months and only to grandparents. They called and said what is that? And they did not like his name. Oh, well.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,582 Member
    Options
    Qqqq