WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Karen in Virginia – My middle sister has it; she also had/has ‘cancer insurance’ … she got that when our oldest sister was first struck with breast cancer when she was 38 or 39; She’s now 72. Has had it in the other breast, which they discovered when they were going to go in and replace the implant on the first one because it was leaking. Middle sister said she went to her plastic surgeon but she doesn’t want to perform reconstruction surgery on her, she told her why; I have just forgotten. Oldest sister had the rotation flap surgery the first time and I talked until I was ‘blue in the face’ to try to discourage this surgery as it was ‘new’ and my former boss had won his first ‘million $$$ fee’. She was very thin; but, the plastic surgeon said that she would also be getting a tummy tuck. She did not want an implant; but got it because every time they attempted to close her up the blood supply would be cut off. She spent about 14 hours in 2 surgeries. Last time she had the implants; but, when she got home, she had 4 tubes running out of her, two in front, two in back that had to be drained several times a day. She made the choice to NOT have her nipples reconstructed. Both of them had the BRAC1 and BRAC2 testing, both negative and then sister’s geneticist wanted her to have the BART testing, if was also negative. So I have not had either of these tests. First off, if theirs were negative the chances of mine are great that it would be negative. What I will ‘never’ understand, unless they have changed it … only one place in US does these testing and insurance will NOT pay for it, UNLESS you have cancer. That’s sort of backwards … you’d think they would test someone with such a family history. But, I am very faithful about self-examination. I’ve found lumps that even my own GYN is ‘surprised that I could feel them’. When I find one, DH checks, if he can feel it, I call GYN and if they cannot work me in that day, I will definitely be in the next.

Terry – When my mother went off to college at age 16; she was about 150lbs and she was only 5’2” … she was considered to have a good figure … being curvy was what men wanted.

Meg – My DH had prostate cancer about 14 years ago; his PSA has been really low since he had the radiation seeds put in. NOW, they are working themselves out; and it causes him to pass blood in his urine. Sometimes he gets stopped up and they have to go in and unstop pit. I had to take him back to their office one weekend because he could not go. There is a more permanent solution; but, he wants to get a 2nd opinion about it and a little more information. He’d have to go ‘out-of-town’ to get a 2nd opinion. He hates when he has to have a catheter put in. I can understand that. Hopefully, you will have a grandchild. This close to her due date, she probably needs to call her OB.

Michele – Tami will make more in one day doing a bridal party than she makes all week. She doesn’t mind it.’

I don’t think I would ‘@$$-U-Me’ anything. Be prepared to pay … unless you can find out who is the bridesmaid that it covers. If it doesn’t cover Jess … you might need to go ahead and call and make an appointment with someone at the shop.

Katla or Michele – I must have missed the shrimp gumbo recipe. Will you share it again? Or send it to me in a PM. I don’t know which one of you posted the recipe.
    Michele – I think Trey has decided to keep the pool! YEAH! Even if we have to put a little towards his monthly utility bill … I’d go for that. The pump needs to be worked on, or replaced. He said if he changes, he will go for a ‘salt water’ pump. Actually, it needs a new liner; but we will try to put that off as long as we can.

Terry – Way to go!!!!!

Lenora
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.23min, 142mhr, 12.1amph. 1.4mi= 99c
    apple watch- 68c
    SPIN *new bike*- 55min, 78ar, 100aw, 139mhr, no gear gage, 13.3mi = 404c
    apple watch- 380c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 6.07min, 14.5amph, 134mhr, 1.4mi= 60c
    appple watch- 43c
    ride bike puy 2 sumn sta- 15.56min, 150mhr, 11.6amph, 3mi= 171c
    apple watch- 110c
    jog sta 2 wk- 4.53min, 152mhr, 9.15min mi, .5mi= 63c
    apple watch- 54c
    jog wk 2 sta- est 5 min, 150mhr 131ahr .5mi = 63c
    apple watch- 54c
    ride dome 2 hm- 22.13min, 6.9amph, WINDY!!!!, 148MHR, 2.5MI = 205C
    apple watch- 135c

total cal 1065
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,540 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    oh sad day today, 22yrs since Lenny died, can't believe it. (husband b4 Kirby)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,909 Member
    Options
    :)Terry, Since I've been logging food on MFP, I eat only what I've planned ahead and only at the times I've scheduled for eating. When offered food, I decline saying that I don't eat at this time or don't eat food that isn't on my plan. Sometimes I have to say it more than once. I don't tell people I'm dieting or anything else like that. I don't eat at potlucks and I've found that there are many other people who don't eat at potlucks and their reasons are varied.

<3 Barbie
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Friends,

Joyce, I swear, my DH and Charlie sound so much alike. DD and I can’t shut him up when he's talking about politics, etc.

Meg, sending good thoughts for you and all the family. Take deep breaths.

Allie, so glad you are loving your home and your new life. (((Hugs)))

Congrats to those that have lost weight and had other victories.

Wishes for quick healing to all that are under the weather or suffering from poor health.

For all of you in the boat with me, and not making the scale go in the right direction, we just have to keep hanging in there and do what we know is right.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto all the Newbies. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I’ve been staying busy with Moose business and have another meeting tomorrow afternoon. Then Thursday I leave for the Fall Convention that is here in Myrtle Beach. I do stay at the convention hotel because it’s so much easier and they give us wonderful room rates. It is over Sunday around noon and then another meeting next Monday. I’ve been struggling to keep up but will continue to keep logging and keep reading. I think of you often.
    Sending love, good thoughts and cool sunshine to all of you.

I Love youwriting-a-love-letter-smiley-emoticon.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    NYKaren - what a buy! And a small size to boot. You rock!

Lenora - I called Jess and confirmed with her that she is the bridesmaid who is having her hair and makeup done. I'll pay for her but no one else. I was surprised how much more it was up there than down here. But, really, it shouldn't surprise me all that much. Everything is more expensive up there. So glad for you that Trey is keeping the pool!

Quick Shrimp Gumbo
    1 c finely chopped onion
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp canola oil
    1/2 lb kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/4 in slices (I found that I wished I'd cut it into 4ths just to make it easier to bite)
    1-1/2 cup chopped green pepper
    1 can (14-1/2oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 cup reduced sodium chicken broth (I felt that 1 cup may have been too much, next time I'll try 1/2 cup or maybe none at all)
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp Italian seasoning
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce
    3/4 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1/2 cut quick cooking rice (I made this w/o any chicken broth, and I still felt there was too much liquid. Next time I'll try 1 cup of rice rather than 1/2 cup)
    Lemon slices, optional
    In a larg sucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil for 2 minutes. Stir in sausage and cook and stir for 2 min or until sausage begins to brown. Add green pepper; cook and stir for 2 min.
    Stir in the tomatoes, broth, seasonings and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 2 min. Stir in shrimp. Cook 3-4 min longer or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in rice. Remove from the heat. Cover and let stand for 5 min or until rice is tender. Discard bay leaf. Serve w/ lemon slices if desired.
    Yield: 4 servings
    One serving (1-1/4 cup) equals
    246 calories
    5 g fat (1 g sat fat)
    146 mg chol
    1,211 mg sodium
    27 g carb
    3 g fiber
    23 g protein

Pip - my deepest sympathies

Rori - congrats on the condo closing! I know that while you'll miss it, you're also glad to get it sold. Have fun in Santa Barbara

DJ and Joyce - you can add Vince to the group who talks about politics and has strong opinions. I tell you, he's almost constantly listening to Fox News. Sometimes I get sick and tired of listening to it

Michele in NC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Had to start running later. Can't go out in the dark as usual. I usually start my long runs at 5am but it's rutting season and a couple of the white tail bucks are getting aggressive. Had some foot stomping and snorting going on when I run by and I don't fancy having to climb a tree or anything. One guy in our neighborhood had to do a dance around a mailbox as a buck was after him. They usually are only s problem in the early morning and in the evenings. So no running in the dark until rut is over.

Marcelyn
    She who runs with deer in Houston

Lol I know it's serious business, what with bucks chasing you and all........but oh the mental pic :)

Thanks for the smile.

Janetr OKC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Our internet was out all afternoon and evening so I just got caught up. Too late to post tonight
    Suebdew in TX
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Lomg day today. Started out raining pretty good so I couldn't relax in the passenger seat driving to Christina's the. Construction with some stand still traffic. I had my phone and iPad and chargers. I have my charger that came with my phone two years ago but the cats, no just Meldoy has really chewed on it. So I had got a store brand charger and it sometimes works well and other times just lets me know about every minute that I am not using the charger that came with the phone. So when I got up this morning I ha pad about 25% charge so I had to use it very sparingly. I had it being charged in the car since I wanted t use it as a hot spot for my iPad and read here.m ut no go. My daughter and whole family are nothing but iPhone people so they didn't have a charger. So when I got home I had finally got to a 44% charge. Trinity continues to grow. When does a teenager stop that?????? She is a size 0 and 5'7". Gorgeous hair. She love history, mythology, music and taking on the phone! Ellie used to be pretty skinny but is more of a little chunky now but is so active hopefully it I will come off. They are just encouraging the whole family to eat health and not make a big deal to her. Christina was showing us videos of her bosses coal mines and the equipment. Ellie was explaining how these huge augers have to work in coordination with each other to bore into the veins and pull the coal out at the same time. Then she was telling me about the hydraulics used the different depth into the coal vein each auger would be able to do due to its length and circumference. This kid is 10. I don't know where she gets it from.

I think I told you about my sister being in the hospital. She had fallen in her hallway and was found who knows how long later because she doesn't remember falling. Well she had been scheduled for her second knee replacement on her left knee but when she fell, she broke her foot and the surgeon doesn't want to do surgery after the pneumonia, cardiac scare, broken foot, unconscious, etc. so she has to wait until March! She isn't happy. But our goofy cousin from Minnesotta is coming this week and staying for average days. My sisters husband does a lot of the cooking now. So I hope they don't ask me to do any cooking when we get together. My Aunt, her Mom, was the best.mthere is nothing like a farmers wife and her cooking. They raised beef and chickens and their son had pigs. And I don't think anyone in Minnesotta buys any bread. It's all home made. You pass the state line and you smell yeast bread rising!

Tere, congrats on the 2 pounds down

Kelly, I can't believe you are teasing us about going to see that grand son and not showing us any pictures yet.

Katla, you got your husband to gets. Pedicure?????? How is that possible. I don't think anyone in the would would ever give Charlie one. His feet are so ugly.

Oh, Trinity has her drivers permit and she was so proud. We were at Bon Evans and she backed the car out of its parking space and brought it downto us! Her speed is now up to 25 mph in their neighborhood!!!

Joyce,Indiana
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Hooray Rori congrats on the closing and running the successful conference. Too busy to eat, wow. Have an awesome trip with DH, you guys deserve it.

Terry VT I think that practicing saying "no thanks, I've already eaten" is a great approach. Food Pushers and hyper healthy "supervisors" are yet more obstacles along the way :# in this journey! I can understand your reluctance about folks noticing weight loss, it brings up all sorts of issues for folks and can be frustrating, everybody's got something to say about it!!

Meal prep this week includes homemade yogurt, lentil soup, salad and veggies with hummus. Heading to the gym after work today, have a good one. Strategy is stronger than willpower, that's my mantra as we all head into this uptick in seasonal eating.
    NYKAREN
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I'm up and having breakfast and a cup of tea.will walk the.boys early and get to work by 7:45
    Don't get out until 6 and praying I don't have.jury duty.tommorow.
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies!

Slept a bit better last night, hurrah! Jake rescue dog woke me up a bit ago so here I am with you enjoying my first cup of coffee.

When did I join MFP? I really don't remember, probably about 10 years ago at the suggestion of a friend who was also trying to lose weight. I wasn't too successful and gave up. About 4 years ago I got a wake up call when I realized I was fast approaching 200 lbs. I got serious and began using the site again. I never realized there was a "community" until one day when I was bouncing around the site. I found this group and began lurking for months, then finally revealed myself which was a huge step for me since I'm not one to put myself out into the internet world (I'm not even on Facebook). I found the support similar to what you get at a WW support meeting. The rest is history. I know I would never have been this successful without your support, so thank you all.

Still doing well with eating and exercising and the weight is slowly coming off. It's because you are all there encouraging me.

Gotta run, off to work. Love and hugs to everyone.

Chris in MA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I just love it when I get my usual 600 calorie burn under my belt for the day. Most of you know that I LOVE TO EAT and I love that bit of leeway it gives me. I did not weigh myself this morning as I had not had a BM so will wait until tomorrow. :o;)

This morning before I picked up my dumbbells I put some eggs in the IP to test out the Low Pressure method. 9 minutes, quick release was perfect for our egg and cress sandwiches (mine open) for lunch. The joy of the IP method is that the shells slip off. :D

DJ - I remember that you were doing modified push ups. Are you still doing them? According to the MFP emails they are one of the best overall exercises you can do. I used to be able to do 30 very poor form full press ups, but gave it up. The email encouraged me to start again, with better form this time. I am doing them from the knees and adding one a day. I can certainly feel my triceps, so I hope it will tighten that area up as well as being good for the core. We really don't need expensive equipment to do strength training. Our own body weight is enough. I do love my dumbbells though! I use 9kg ones mostly and 2kg for side arm raises. (I do those standing on my bad leg with knee bent to strengthen the knee and wave the other leg around.) :laugh: I was getting on well with my 8kg kettlebell, but my knee began to suffer. I keep thinking I ought to give it another try. (A kg is 2.2 lbs )

I'm hoping Kim is not too near the NC fires. Looking at the map they appear to be just missing her, but there must be a lot of smoke. Terrible devastation. :'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    Did 40 min of Leslie Sansone Walk you Belly Flat DVD today since I need to leave in a bit for the Newcomer general meeting that will be in Asheville. I suspect I'm expected to drive (about 1 hr), not that I'm looking forward to it since I'll need to drive to Charlotte Friday to get Denise's (and hopefully mine) dress steamed. If getting mine is much more expensive, I will just have it done here in Newton. The plan for tomorrow is to do Gin Miller's Simply Endurance DVD then volunteer at the Green Room.

Tomorrow night is the IDR (Invitational Dress Rehearsal) for the show Leading Ladies. My understanding is that it's quite funny so I'm looking forward to that show. We have our tickets for the 20th.

Joyce - mmmm....I can smell that bread right now. So sorry to hear about your sister.

Well, will be leaving in a few.

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    Here at the house visiting with the pups..Homer is right here but Chester is under the bed...Probably ticked off at me for moving...
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Good morning all you beautiful ladies,

Rori, how exciting that the closing is finally happening and the conference went well. I’m sure you are glad it is over with. It is a lot of work.

Lenora, I’m a faithful boob checker too even though there is no history in my family. I want to catch it as early as I can should I ever get it.

Pip, sorry for your sad day. (((HUGS)))

Michele, I also have a DH who is obsessed with the news. He has alerts on his phone so he doesn’t miss anything. And he watches Ken Burns’ Vietnam as night. Of course worried about MIL and SIL in PR too. No wonder he is not sleeping. I told him this morning that maybe he should stay away from the news for a few days. That’s not going to happen. I keep up but try not to do it 24/7 like he does. Too depressing. Anyway he is always filling me in.

Marcelyn, I use to walk in the mornings until I was walking along and when I looked to the side there was a large black bear sitting on a rock just watching me. Yikes! Put me off walking on the morning.

Wendy, you amaze me with all you do. Hope the weather clears up for you. “Rabbit Woman”???

Joyce, sorry to hear your sister’s surgery has been put off. I know when you get your head ready for a certain date it is depressing to have the date changed. I’m sure she was looking forward to feel better. A new driver in the house. Scary (for you) and exciting (for Trinity).

Karen, I like your mantra.

Allie, fingers crossed you don’ have jury duty. The dogs will get comfortable soon I'm sure. Once they feel how happy you are.

Chris, you are a great example of perseverance! Congrats on the weight loss!

Heather, what’s IP?

So very sad about the devastation caused by the fires out west. Every day it is something else. Will this ever end? My walk yesterday at lunch didn’t seem to make my foot hurt any more than it usually does so will walk again today. Suppose to be nice today which is good because we are having the car’s windshield replaced. On our way to work a stone flew up and cracked it. Second windshield this year! Good thing I have no deductible and replacement is covered 100%.

Here is a link to the door headboards I was telling you about.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/door-headboards/

Well I guess that’s it for today. No weight loss today. Bummer.

Terry in VT