WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    p.s. how do you load a picture here without it being just a document that you have to open?

Terry
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,206 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Terry - On my tablet and phone I just click the little landscape icon and follow the links. I choose Documents out of the options and then the file and photo I want.
    IP is an Instant Pot -a programmable electric pressure cooker. Available via Amazon. I have the Duo 7 6 qt. :D I use it every day.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

PS - I have messaged Kim to see if she is ok.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Thanks Heather.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Prayers for Kim and those effected by fires. I agree Terry the last few months have been tough.

:heart: Margaret
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,912 Member
    Options
    Marcelynh wrote: »
    Had to start running later. Can't go out in the dark as usual. I usually start my long runs at 5am but it's rutting season and a couple of the white tail bucks are getting aggressive. Had some foot stomping and snorting going on when I run by and I don't fancy having to climb a tree or anything. One guy in our neighborhood had to do a dance around a mailbox as a buck was after him. They usually are only s problem in the early morning and in the evenings. So no running in the dark until rut is over.

Marcelyn
    She who runs with deer in Houston

:) I walk in the dark with my dogs but occasionally the coyotes are howling nearby and Bessie refuses to leave the yard when she hears them. Fortunately they go back to the hills later and we can walk. :)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day!

Kelly – maybe you aren’t posting photos of Joaquin because you are busy having coffee with Sting! I’m anxious to see photos of both!!

Meg – I hope your DH is doing better and your run of stress is over for a while. Has the new grandbaby arrived yet?

Rori - glad your event was a success! Hooray on the condo closing! Bet it feels nice to have all that stuff behind you! Have fun in Santa Barbara!

Regarding Potlucks… where I last worked, some folks lived for them and loved making their favorites and pressuring the rest of us to bring loads of food. A couple of us broke ranks and brought our own lunches so we had control over what we ate and how much of it. When questioned, it was easy to say, “I think I have some type of food sensitivity and don’t want to risk getting sick. Seems like I always tend to get a headache after these things (this was true, by the way). All of this looks very delicious tho, so enjoy!” I’d often bring a small fruit salad for myself and a bowl of my home-made chili. So there were no conversations about dieting, counting calories, etc.

We don’t have LTC insurance. Never could afford premiums when we were younger as we were so heavily loaded mortgage, home and car insurance, life insurance, etc. But it might be worth looking into, I guess there are many different products now at varying prices as the trend is more for aging in place, so a person might only need home health care assistance rather than paying a lot for nursing home costs.

For now, we have an AFLAC policy I had at work and I was able to keep. We would get a check for diagnosis of cancer, heart attack, stroke, and such and payments while we are hospitalized, undergoing treatment, etc. It would just be extra $$ to help cover costs, but nothing long-term.

And, we decided years ago if we had extra $$, we’d put it toward paying off the mortgage and cars so by the time we retired, we wouldn’t be carrying those debts. I feel like we have something tangible for our efforts instead of one more insurance premium whose coverage we may or may not need.

The State of Washington is looking into LTC insurance as part of a state-managed model which would be paid for by payroll deduction and small contribution from the employer. It’s still at the very initial talking stages! WA also has enacted legislation to help compensate care-givers, but I’m not up on how it all works and whether the baby boomers will benefit.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Lanette ~ The idea of the state offering LTC for workers is enticing. For yrs I resented the state taking out teacher retirement money from my monthly paycheck, but, I sure am glad they did it now. After seeing my mom go into the nursing home for a couple of yrs, it really worries me and I hope I won't be a burden on anyone.

Kelly ~ Pics please!

Sue ~ I see you put up a birthday pic. So, if it is/was your birthday recently, Happy Birthday to you!

Prayers said for the people out in California.

Carol in GA
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Today I’m off to CPR certification class, with visions of rabbit woman and running with deers flitting by in my imagination. We swimmers don’t have nearly so interesting incidents to share!

Cin Cin a tutti!

Rye
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    h0tydl1r4bti.jpeg
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Yikes, Pip! Christmas decorations already? Or is that a photo from the archive?

I'm going out for Sushi tonight with the editor of the local paper. The Japanese women who run the sushi place (and the Thai women who run the competing restaurant next door) didn't get their leases renewed, which totally p****s me off. Two of our town's ethnic food places, run by women, are going to be replaced by a single up-scale burger joint run by a man. :noway: The sushi place will close soon, so the editor and I are going there to have one last plate of maki and nigiri. She and I hope our charming Japanese friends will soon find a place to reopen their restaurant.

/Penny, p***ed off at the North Pole
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Yikes, Pip! Christmas decorations already? Or is that a photo from the archive?

I'm going out for Sushi tonight with the editor of the local paper. The Japanese women who run the sushi place (and the Thai women who run the competing restaurant next door) didn't get their leases renewed, which totally p****s me off. Two of our town's ethnic food places, run by women, are going to be replaced by a single up-scale burger joint run by a man. :noway: The sushi place will close soon, so the editor and I are going there to have one last plate of maki and nigiri. She and I hope our charming Japanese friends will soon find a place to reopen their restaurant.

/Penny, p***ed off at the North Pole

old pic. lololol
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Happy Coming Out Day!

A day to remember that we are most beautiful when we let our light shine brightly. Reminds me of Bible school as a child, when we sang, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."

Allie - Glad you're feeling better! It sounds like Tom and his lawyer deserve each other. Maybe they think they can get their way if they just drag the process out long enough.

Karen - Wow, what a steal! (But what is this "size 6" you speak of? :p ) Speaking of pants, I really need to make a trip to Goodwill for some jeans.

Terry - That's good news about your foot feeling better! As I get older I find myself making that judgment call more often: It hurts, now will exercising make it worse or I can I ignore it and work out anyway?

Rori - Congratulations on your successful conference and your condo closing!

Marcelyn - Oh, I hadn't even thought about running during rutting season! Those bucks can definitely do some damage when they're thinking with their "little brains." Hmm, kind of like some other species... My parents-in-law had a giant vet bill a couple of years ago when one of their basset hounds tangled with an angry deer.

Lenora - I confess I'm not as conscientious with my breast exams as I should be. My mom's cancer was found when it was so small nobody could ever palpate it, but she didn't even make it to the five-year survival mark. I know I should be doing them, though. And you've reminded me that I'm overdue for my mammogram too. All my life I've been proactive with my health, but our insurance situation makes it feel kind of pointless now.

Joyce - Philip will get a pedicure with me every now and then. It's great for him because he's on his feet so much as a massage therapist, he deserves a little extra attention. Sometimes he'll even let them polish his toenails if he's waiting for me to finish up! He's a pretty secure guy.

Penny - Grr! I hate to see thriving small business driven out of the market. That's happened all over downtown Austin, and the city is worse off for it.

We're enjoying a little cool front here - beautiful weather with highs in the mid-70s. I plan to take advantage this evening after work, because it's supposed to be hitting 90 again by the end of the week.

You've inspired me - I think I want to try making homemade yogurt. I don't want to buy any equipment, though, so I'll investigate my options. I think I've seen some slow cooker methods.

But now... work is calling. Everybody celebrate who you are today, and GO GET 'EM!

-Yvonne in TX
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Peach: There is a recipe builder here. Look under food, and then recipes. You can put your recipe in it and wind up with calorie & nutrition information. I've done it for a couple of my recipes but it takes time, and I haven't done many of them. :star:

Allie: I absolutely LOVE that you are having fun. Yay!!! Congrats on 3 bingo wins. :bigsmile:

Lenora: The recipe is Michele's, and it is on page 22. Let us know if you have trouble finding it. :smile: I see that Michele posted it for you again. I'm looking forward to trying it. :smiley:

Pip: I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband, Lenny, 22 years ago. He must have been wonderful if you miss him after all these years. You have been lucky in love twice. I'll bet his angel in heaven is thrilled that you've found such a great partner in Kirby. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Rori: Congratulations on your successful conference, the sale of your condo in Hawaii, and the planned vacation with DH in Santa Barbara. :bigsmile:

Joyce: Pedicurists are happy to take care of DH's ugly feet because it results in earnings. He has diabetes and poor circulation so his feet are exceptionally ugly but not a one of them has give him anything but supportive help--except "T." She gives great pedicures & did great work for him. I went to her for years and then he started going, too. She tells lots of personal sex stories. DH was horrified and embarrassed by them so we had to stop going to her. :ohwell:

Penny: Sorry about the restaurant situation. Is the building that housed them privately owned? If so, it appears the owner will be getting higher rent. :grumble:

My cousin's daughter and granddaughter live in an area in California that is near the fires. I hope they're okay. I suspect they may be staying with my cousin. I plan to check in with them today, and I'll start by looking at facebook posts. I don't know whether this is impacting Kim.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Oh Pip That is such a poignant bit of your history. I see you as a self-confidant woman of self-worth. To know you had such low self-esteem for a time is touching. I am glad you somehow came through that time without messing up your relationship with Kirby. The two of you are inspirational.

Karen in Virginia
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3B)
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)