WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Terry, that is so cool about your daughter Olivia. Karen in VA has a granddaughter Olivia just born at the beginning of the year. Which reminds me.....

Karen in VA where are you????? Are you okay? Missing you.

Janetr okc
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for the thread :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,581 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Terry: I love the pets. The dog reminds me of one that my DMIL had for years. His name was Robert and he was a sweetie. :smile:

Lanette: Thanks for the information about sugar. I have read elsewhere that high fructose corn syrup is especially bad for us, and that certainly agrees with what you've said. :star:

Becca: I love your quote, "The best way to get approval is not to need it." :bigsmile:

Caminogirl: Welcome back! Did you go by a different name before? :huh:

I'm thinking about Halloween decorations. I want to put up our Halloween ghost. We also have a large artificial jack-o-lantern that will sit under the ghost. The ghost needs a new tripod to hang from because last year's broke. I have some work to do before I can put those things out, though. The work includes pruning Rhododendrons and pulling out my tomato plant. I've made a good start on one of the Rhodies and haven't done the other yet. I'm not sure whether I'll prune the other rhodie first or take out the tomato. Tomorrow I will get out there and choose what comes first on impulse.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"Normally I'm quite normal . . ." The Gods Must be Crazy
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,064 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,363 Member
    Options
    Did 1-1/4 hr Kristin Dowell Hi-Lo Recharge DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do 15 minute Results Yoga, hold my plank, and then take the extremepump class

Made a chocolate tofu pie for one of the gals at ceramics then made ginger cookies that I know that the gal in the next show at the Green Room likes. She's a really nice person. I may not have time to make them that week since Steve will be here.

Sharon - Vince always calls me "the enternal optimist" too. (((HUGS))))

Chris - nothing is trivial. Tell us about it. It affects you...it affects us

Lenora - yup, that's me, just walking into a house, sitting in the kitchen, making myself at home. I'm assuming no one minds, and if they do....tough

Went to the celebration of life of our friend. Only had water to drink, but did have a few bites of the dessert. Had mostly the salmon, some cheese, raw carrots, 1/2 of this chicken pocket thing.

KJ - I'm so sorry for your husband. What a terrible thing to do! Be sure to give Joaquin a kiss from me.

GG - welcome! So glad you decided to post. Tell us even more about yourself.

Worked on stringing the popcorn. We'll only put it on the big tree this year, I really don't think I'll have time to string enough for all the other trees. They aren't calling for rain for the next few days so hopefully I can get more done.

Lenora - If Maria doesn't come here for Christmas Eve, at least Denise, Pete, Vince and I will know that the offer was made. There isn't much more I can do. I private messaged Maria and told her how insulted I was about the cake incident. To date I haven't even gotten so much as an acknowledgment of my feelings. Not even a "I'm sorry that happened". Nothing. I do want to let Pete know that I was very very insulted, I don't know if Denise was able to fully get the idea to him. Maybe he doesn't see it as much of a big deal, but I do.

M - I, too, wish we could stay on DST all the time. I hate turning the clocks.

Becca - who miscounts? Let me tell you about Vince. Now you have to understand that this is the guy who has a CPA degree. Well...his parents had a placque on their porch saying "established.... (the year they were married). All Vince had to do was take the current year, subtract the year they were married, and he'd know how many years they'd been married. Not difficult, right? Well, he made all the arrangements etc for us to go down for their 50th anniversary, only he miscounted and it was their 49th!!!. On the positive, they sure didn't expect us for the 49th!!! I use mostly generic things. A few things I want the name brand -- Hellman's mayo and Vince will only eat Jif peanut butter. Fortunately, he likes the shredded wheat from Aldi, but he has to have Cheerios. Really, there aren't too many other things that I must have a brand name for

Janet - love those ornaments. Each one must take you a long time to make. Do you just think up your own patterns?

Evie - welcome to the most awesome group you will find!

DJ - I'm sorry that happened to you. No matter what you do, there are some people who you'll never do things exactly the way they would want them done. Personally, I think you did the right thing.

Michele in NC
  • janetr7476
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    :) Good evening!

Cheri do you know anything about Karen in VA. I couldn't send her a message thru the system. Has she left us? I've been missing her, hope all is well.

Janetr OKC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Barbie - Thanks for all you do to keep us connected. Love this site.

Becca - You are my 'hero' (I know that isn't the right word for a woman); but, you know what I am saying. I'd like to learn how too stretch my $$$ as much as you do. We do bring home things we order at a restaurant to eat the next night. We usually have one "Date Night" a month. Time for us to just be as 'one'. Not always full of conversation; but, a good time any way you look at it. The steak was very good; but, the shrimp came out and I 'swear' they were not cooked. They were room temperature. I told the waitress that they were not cooked and she could bring the fried ones to me. They weren't a whole lot better. Louis said they probably had a lot of shrimp they needed to get rid of. I told him, not necessarily ... but it meant that when you go to a steakhouse don't order seafood any more than you would want to order a steak at a seafood restaurant.

Janetr - The Christmas ornaments are beautiful. I'd love to find one like any of them ... a 'surprise' like a 'painted rock'.

Michele - I'm like you - can 'think' of all the 'snappy remarks' an hour too late. I don't think Maria 'cares' whose feelings she hurts. She is a 'bully' ... just that simple. Hopefully, Pete isn't one. Keep the lines of communication 'wide open' for Denise ... she will probably need it - one day. Make sure she knows you are always her mother. Like the old saying goes, "A son is a son until he takes a wife; a daughter is a daughter all of her life." You don't have to discuss Maria with anyone. Not to Denise, not to Pete, and now that Maria 'knows' she has hurt your feelings or that her actions were insulting ... it is obvious she doesn't give a flip or she would have picked up the phone and called you. Just keep a smile on your face for the wedding and then when it is over - turn around and know that you probably won't hear from Maria - good riddance ... just make sure you check in on Denise and ask her 'how her day is going' and if she wants to tell you - great; if not, don't push her. Will and Tami are still in the 'honeymoon' phase where they are still learning about one another's habits and tics. Having lost the baby has shown them how each grieve. I don't understand some mothers. Her mother told her after her niece gave birth a few days ago, that 'she just needed to get over it'. I think Tami had told her that, she just could not go to see the baby. It hurt too much. Louis' 'ex' told her daughter the same thing after Brandy was killed a few days after her 12th birthday. I don't think you ever get over losing a child ... even 'if' it is a miscarriage or the pregnancy isn't going to work ... like mine. That was 43 years ago, and it still hurts to think about it. When Tami lost the baby, it brought it up close and personal. Having a child move 1/2-way around the world and not able to see them for whatever reason is also hard - like on 'military' families letting go of their 'babies' to the service. They'll always be their babies. Just as my sons will always be my babies ... but, first - they are husbands. I don't know what it is like to have a daughter. Just sons ... and they can break your hearts.

Allie - Do NOT allow TomCat to try to weasel his way back into your life. You have moved on ... if he comes to '*kitten*' about you taking 'change' ... HELLS BELLS ... I would tell him 'if he showed up without calling and asking permission first' ... you will talk to your attorney about taking out a 'Restraining Order' against him. You should not allow him to come into you life. Watch out for the 'dog' situation. Locking your room so they won't be upset? Get real, you walking the dogs everyday? I know we all think of our fur babies as our babies ...; but, do not allow Tom to hold those dogs over your head in order to get his thumb on your back. Maybe he needs to hear, "I can't walk the dogs today ... I have plans." He doesn't know what your plans are or aren't. He isn't going to be your husband ... he has no right to know. I know that is a bit 'harsh' ... but, his tactics are very much like any 'abusive' spouse, they work first on your weak spots they know about and those dogs are a weakness for you. I know losing them because you don't actually own the place you live in is difficult; but, don't let Tom take advantage of you. You have come SO FAR and you need to keep moving forward ... one step at a time if necessary. He sounds like he could be a 'stalker' and you definitely need to stop THAT reaction. Was he married before y'all were married? A little background checking on him might give you some idea of how he acts when he doesn't get his way. Keep him AT ARMS' length ... both or just one ... don't give him a key to your new place and make sure he doesn't get access to one either. I just don't trust the man, and I don't even know him. I think he is very insecure because he got caught in the cookie jar and you broke it ... he can't have his cookies and to eat them for later.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    One day - and 3 pages behind. I can't believe this.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Was pretty busy with DH’s recuperation this weekend but did have a chance to scan through the posts.

I can’t believe its October. This year is flying by. The holidays are almost upon us! Can’t say I met my goals for September but I did maintain without adding any weight. So I am counting that as a positive. For October I am sharing my goal with DH and concentrating on “clean” eating as well as light exercise every day.

Allie: I am so proud for you of all the progress you have made over the last year. It’s hard for me to believe that today is your first day of official independence. Good for you! Just a thought (and it may be just a little mean)….Tom says your old room door being open makes the dogs depressed….do you think they were depressed while he was dishing feces out to you and you were so unhappy? I would say your old room door being open makes Tom depressed because he doesn’t have you there to do all the stuff you did for him. >:)

Kelly: So sorry to hear of your DH’s layoff. As I am still going through the fall out of the same, I understand how he is feeling. Sometimes it is hard for me to see anything positive. Looking for a job is horrible. I think our generation grew up believing that “if you just worked hard and did your job well” you would be rewarded with a wonderful retirement. It was a really large blow to my ego to be laid off. So go easy on him….he needs time to adjust. I am sending forth prayers for a new job for him as well. Your trip and visit with Joaquin will probably be the best medicine he could get. Enjoy yourselves.

Becca: Thank you for speaking about an online yard sale. I had never heard of that before but think I could use that to declutter some of my accumulated collections of tea pots, dolls, and piggy banks. You are quite right about using coupons and I apply common sense when using them and hate to grocery shop without them. I often shop at a salvage barn sort of store that already has fantastic pricing but when I use my coupons I feel like I get triple value. Many years ago I received this wisdom from a friend that was in the same kind of desperate single parent situation as I was. She clipped coupons and used them at a salvage store and would rarely spend more than $5 for a cart full of groceries.

Barbie: You probably didn’t have any idea of what these pages would come to mean to all of us. Thank you! <3

Tere in RVA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Love the baby pictures, even the furry ones. Love the cat sitting on the couch or whatever. He is takin over he pillow that say home or family. Can't remember,

Allie,mi see all of us are still giving advice! I feel Tom told you about him being so gracious that he closed Your bedroom door because the dogs that mean s muc to you are depressed. He is still trying to control your emotions. Is he gong to be at the house when you go walk the dogs daily? I sure hope you don't get I really habit of just doing a little picking up, then a little more and more. You are a care giver through and through. You love to do for others. Point that finger at yourself now. I hope he person above you walks quieter. You need peace.

Do any of you get mad enough at your cat that you punish them? Mozart can still irritate the dickens out of Melody. They can be the sweetest siblings and then e next moment Mozart is n top of him with quite a neck hold. So tonight I told him no and he ran. So I ran. He runs faster but I eventually got him in the bedroom and closed the door. He had no where to go. Boy did I scold him and I did spank him once. He avoided me for awhile and even cowered as I went by, when I went to bed, Melody is usually on the bed but as soon as I turn my sound machine on that is her que to leave. She doesn't have to leave. Her blanket in on the bed so she can stay but she leaves. That is usually when Mozart comes into action again. I am in my bed with my quiet music winding down, Charlie is downstairs and Mozart has the run of the upstairs and no one to tell him not to terrorize Melidy. So I just simply ship my bedroom door with Melody in it. Well Melody didn't like that so my plan backfired. And I sure didn't want Melody using my floor as a litter box, so I eventually got up and let her out. So Mozart is presently laying on my legs and I am ignoring him. It sure is hard to. I want to reach down and love on him but if he irritates Melody then he is irritating me. But I don't want him to become a viscous cat because is punished him.

Michelle sent me a message that a friend of hers had posted. She also has a torie that pretty much looks like Melody and had gotten out of the house. Since hey live in my neighborhood, I went out and called her name. Well Charlie came out to see what in the world I was doing. . Los and behold a tortie that looks just like Melody comes out from my flowers! I thought I had found his lost car. Then Charlie said Melody came out with him. Shucks.

Becca, I always use store brand when I can. I have found stor brand mash allows don't taste as good, Charlie refuses to try store brand Life, although I have found one. Cheerios only
    Y taste like Cheerios if they are the real thing, same as wheat thins. The mega boxes are more expensive per ounce than smaller boxes. A two for one may be cheaper buys just one. Charlie is a label checker but they put labels down at toe level at times! I don't. Like store brand breads unless it is raisin bread. And store brace chocolate bars will never taste like the original. You can get some knock offs at Dollar General and places like that and they just don't taste good.

This month is pastor appreciation month, last month was pastors birthday and next one is 9th year anniversary with the church. So they were all celebrated today. Charlie doesn't like for me to have many meals at the church and I have already had a couple in September so I didn't go. When I told him when I got home he said all I had to do was to leave a message he would have been fine. GRRRR? Sometimes you just don't know the man you have been married to for 45 years. I didn't need a Baptist potluck today anyway. I had one Thursday.

Night night, Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Heather, thank you so much. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, have a terrific day. I'll catch up with you in age in about a month :)

Janetr OKC