WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2017

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,570 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »

Do any of you get mad enough at your cat that you punish them? Mozart can still irritate the dickens out of Melody. They can be the sweetest siblings and then e next moment Mozart is n top of him with quite a neck hold. So tonight I told him no and he ran. So I ran. He runs faster but I eventually got him in the bedroom and closed the door. He had no where to go. Boy did I scold him and I did spank him once. He avoided me for awhile and even cowered as I went by, when I went to bed, Melody is usually on the bed but as soon as I turn my sound machine on that is her que to leave. She doesn't have to leave. Her blanket in on the bed so she can stay but she leaves. That is usually when Mozart comes into action again. I am in my bed with my quiet music winding down, Charlie is downstairs and Mozart has the run of the upstairs and no one to tell him not to terrorize Melidy. So I just simply ship my bedroom door with Melody in it. Well Melody didn't like that so my plan backfired. And I sure didn't want Melody using my floor as a litter box, so I eventually got up and let her out. So Mozart is presently laying on my legs and I am ignoring him. It sure is hard to. I want to reach down and love on him but if he irritates Melody then he is irritating me. But I don't want him to become a viscous cat because is punished him.

I haven't found "punishing" pets, especially cats, to be very effective. Our cat antagonizes the dog, and I just let her. I figure if he gets sick of it, he will tell her. So far, he hasn't done much more than give her a little snip when she gets too obnoxious. I just warn her, "Kitty, you are asking for trouble." Sometimes, I will just pick her up and remove her from the situation, but I think if I spanked her or yelled at her, she would just be confused.

It's not that they aren't trainable. They are. She scratches on her scratching post only. BUT . . she knows she is not supposed to be up on the counters in the kitchen. When I see her, I clap my hands really loudly, and she jumps off. So now, as I walk down the stairs, I hear her jump off the counters. :smirk: So, she knows she isn't supposed to be up there, but the temptation is too great, I guess. There might be something up there she can swat down to the floor for the dog. (They are a true team.)

As I've mentioned before, my dog was abused by my ex-husband when he owned it. I don't have any idea why he beat him or threw him across the room, and neither does the dog. (Which is to my point that it just confuses them.) The consequence of those actions, however, is that my dog is very aggressive toward adult males. It took him weeks to stop growling at my husband every time he entered the room. He has recovered somewhat and loves my husband, but it has taken years for them to develop a trusting relationship, and I am sure that if my husband ever hit the dog, their relationship would be over.

Just my two cents.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!
    bkal2p3fqrs9.jpg
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Michele, re Vince and the anniversary mixup: there are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't.

I have no words for Las Vegas. I am so unhappy about the violence around us lately. It breaks my heart.

KJ, good luck wishes to your DH on his job hunt. I was fired once (by the school district) and assured 30 minutes later (by my principal) that I wasn't going anywhere. I was still devastated. Even though, as with your DH, it was a financial decision rather than one based on job performance, it still hurt tremendously. It sounds like your DH has a lot of marketable skills and will be an asset to whomever snatches him up.

I'm incredibly thankful for a new month. One more time, I am recommitting. As long as it takes.....
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello.Happy Birthday,Heather. DH’s was yesreday.October is our big family BD mo,with at least 10 celebrating.Have downloaded the iOS 11 & need to go thru that.I’m half way thru a book that isn’t going to be finished.

Now our medical insurance is changing big time.A shock for sure,but we aren’t the only ones,It’s a ton of work & is just getting started .All has to be done on the phone,so for once I am thankful for my hearing problem.DH is trying to get a lot of info together,so he is working the phone big time.

Kelly,so sorry to hear about your husband losing his job.That happened to my Dad & FIL.....So has been happening longer than ppl realize.Work is such a big part of life,you can’t believe it’s gone.Best of luck to you both.

We are having beautiful weather......sunny 72. Windows open & Bean soup simmering.DD brought her Dad a lemon loaf BD cake,so all set. Hope everyone has a nice day. Pat

PS. Used to make type bigger & darker.How to do it now?
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    https://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/1012695-17-ways-fun-morning/

Food for thought for me this morning.

I have a song stuck in my head most days. Today for some unknown reason..., it's B.J. Thomas singing "Hooked on a Feeling".

--Ginger in Texas
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Way to Go Penny. Half the battle is in the supermarket.
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Becca, I like that you are going to concentrate on yourself more as one of your goals. Cute Halloween outfits.

Katla, I have tried knitting a couple of times and failed miserably. I'd like to see the blanket when it's done. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Okie, glad you had a good birthday trip. Good job walking M-F!

Sue, I wish we lived closer. I'd love someone to help me start a garden in front of the house. I just stick things in and hope for the best.

DJ, unfortunately e-mail makes it easier for people to respond in a way that they normally would not. Maybe she was having a bad day and hit send before she thought. At least she did apologize.

Caminogirl, welcome back.

Michele in NC, a tofu pie? Never heard of such a thing. Are the calories less that in a regular chocolate pie?

Lenora, no you never do get over the loss of a child. How insensitive to say “just get over it”. I remember when I was trying to have a child and my uncle said in front of my ex husband “why don’t you put a man on the job”. I really don’t understand people sometimes.

Tere, I agree that looking for a job is so stressful. When DH quit teaching he gat a job at a hardware store. He has a Masters and for years has been trying to find something else. Unfortunately, jobs are few and far between in this area. If you were a nurse you would have plenty of jobs to choose from. Hope those looking for jobs find something soon.

HeatherUK, HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY GIRL! Sounds like your special day is everything you want it to be. Glad to hear you are settling in. people watching is so much fun.

Joyce, I use rolled up newspaper on Alley when she irritates the others. Cats hate newspaper. I think it is because it make a crackle sound. You don’t even have to hit them. Jus the floor next to them.

Evie, I have the same problem with my evening eating. I can do good all day but when I get home all I want is food. A couple of things have helped me from time to time. Drinking flavored non-calorie water, wearing gloves in the winter as it’s hard to eat with gloves on lol, save calories for the one evening snack which is made up of little parts like crackers so it feels like I’m having more than I am. Glad you are getting steps in.

Sharon, sorry work was so hard for you. Yes, people can be morons. Thanks for the pictures but I have to say the kids with guns gave me the creeps. So scary. Date night??? Really??? I’m proud of you for doing what is best for you. You are right the charming once and a while does not erase all the negative behavior. You don’t need to live like that.

Dir_dahlin, welcome. I think you will find much support and encouragement here. Just jump in and post any time. Let us know what you would like to be called.

Penny, I’ve heard of people being more sensitive to their clothing or anything else touching their skin. It would drive me crazy too. Might want to check with your dr and see if that is a side effect of any medicine you are on. So glad you are now able to continue your strength training. 2.5 lbs is fabulous . Sounds like you have a plan for “tricky October”. Smart woman. Have to say I haven’t noticed the change to MFP. I’ll watch for it. Isn’t it amazing how food calls out to you.

Karen, glad to hear you were not posting because you were on vacation.

Allie, it sounds like you have already turned the new place into a home. If Tom tries anything like that again, don’t even respond. He will get the hint eventually.

Carol, wonderful that you are getting back on track. A floor is definitely not worth going off your plan for. Save going off the plan for something really important. lol

Kelly, have your husband contact everyone he know and let them know he is looking for a job. Networking is a great way of finding a job. I agree Kelly, most of our shootings are “home grown”.

Kate, loved the pics.

Pip, such a cute picture of your dog family

Janet, they have open MRIs now. You should see if your hospital has one.

Pat, to make it bigger and darker I use the icons right before my post. Just highlight the word(s) and select the “B”

Felicia, I couldn’t get my fat *kitten* in that position if I tried! Maybe with more weight loss I’ll give it a try. Beating a defenseless animal – who is the animal in this pictures? When we first took over are for my daughter’s dog he was scared of men because he ex boyfriend either did something to him or he saw my daughter being hurt. He loves my DH but still very protective of me when DH comes close.

As if I didn’t have enough to worry about with my MIL & SIL struggling in PR, now the Las Vegas shooting. My cousin lives in Vegas so e-mailed him first this morning when I heard. Everyone was fine there I’m happy to say.

Well I think I’m caught up now. PHEW!

Terry lunch over and getting back to work in VT,
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,581 Member
    Options
    ============
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi Sunaric, you are just in time. We need a musician with a funky cat to join our group. Welcome!
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    DrKatieBug and Penny - you guys cracked me up. By the way, I'm definitely the third type :)

Janetr OKC
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn. Awesome NSV, I'd take a compliment like that any day!!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,581 Member
    Options
    -=-=-=-=
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    October Accountability
    Progress 10/1/2017 Sunday
    ✔1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    [B. , L. , S. , MS. , AS. , BBS. =
    ✔2. Fiber 30g [30g]
    Plus Water 48 oz
    Plus bullion broth 8 oz
    Plus Sleepy Time Tea 8 oz
    ✔3. Vegetables - big salad daily
    ✔4. Track every bite and complete the MFP entry daily.
    5. Steps - average 5000 steps,30 Fitbit minutes [1606/0]

• Monday Weigh-in: 291.6 lbs.aa

Steps. Today - I go for a walk. And do Leslie Sansone 1 mile walk. Oops! Just put my Fitbit back on. It was on the charger. Only 143 steps so far. I better move.

Onward.
    --Ginger in Texas
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Happy Birthday Heather!
    afo16uvpo4ib.jpg
    Your Oregonian friend!
    Becca