Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse , while your new "how to increase my NEAT" method seems to be quite effective at losing weight... I would rather pass and I really hope you figure out a way to resolve :scream:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    @Nony_Mouse , while your new "how to increase my NEAT" method seems to be quite effective at losing weight... I would rather pass and I really hope you figure out a way to resolve :scream:

Same, esp since I don't have the weight to lose!!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Either a two-pound whoosh this morning, or just my blood sugar punking me. (Like, stupidly scary high. WTF, body?) Only time will tell, I suppose.

What's your fasting glucose? I have some running theories about blood sugar spikes with whooshes which incorporate the idea of lipolysis to release extraneous stored glucose within the adipocytes into blood circulation. I'm not sure if it's a feasible theory since I haven't run it across the current thought leaders, but it's just something I have in my head.

It varies, usually depending on how the previous night was, whether there was exercise, whether there was alcohol, etc.

This morning was ... not fantastic. We need to tweak my overnight insulin -- while still being on the side of "we need to make sure I'm not hypoglycemic overnight" -- because I keep waking up high. I could start that on my own, but there are some mornings when I'm fine, so I'm trying to rule out other issues first.

In the interest of teasing out one variable at a time, when you have a chance, perhaps Bill Lagakos's article may be pertinent. He regularly posts on biochemistry and circadian rhythm. Because of him I've followed a bit of circadian entrainment for the better part of 6 months this year, even if I don't quite understand half the crap he describes lol

http://caloriesproper.com/dawn-phenomnomnom/

Yup. Dawn phenomenon is why I'm on a higher dose overnight, peaking at 5:30 a.m. ;)

I've been type 1 for 35 years. Let's just say that, well, it's sort of like Nony and her having researched and tried everything for eczema. I'm comfortable making pump adjustments, and my endocrinologist has given me carte blanche to manage it how I feel best, since I generally have a good history with that. But it gets annoying and difficult when there's no true pattern, and I can't tease out what is actually going on, in absence of other hormonal factors.

Given that leptin governs insulin which also regulates cortisol, which is influenced by stress and physiologically responds to cellular status to demand or reject energy substrates, I'd say a lot of hormonal factors are actually at play.. and there's way too many of them to try to pin down since it's hard to address one without affecting the others. Though, if you and your endo have tried to find some correlation with better results, have you noticed any patterns with days (and preceding nights) that were particularly well controlled with morning numbers?

ETA: This may be geared towards more lada T1.5 or beta cell damaged T2s, but I just thought it was interesting to note in terms of alternative anti-hyperglycemic control

http://caloriesproper.com/glp-101/

Yeah, sadly, in addition to my insulin production being as dead as a doorknob (doornail? I always forget which one it's supposed to be), I also lack the cells that tell the liver to release glucagon to thus start that process. My immune system took out that sector very thoroughly.

All three endos I've had have been stumped -- one even put my logs up (de-identified, of course) in their workroom, with a post-it note of "we've tried X,Y,Z with no results, what would you do?" In the olden days -- and I guess some would still use it, although I despise the term -- I would have been called a brittle diabetic. Nighttime has always been a challenge, typically more on the hypoglycemic end.

So, in the long of it...
    • Calorie restriction has more of a hypoglycemic effect, which would be expected. But then, there's that conundrum of "I'm not supposed to be restricting," with "restrict too much and there's no glycogen stores" with a bonus side of "then I start having cyclical hypos that we can't break out of."
    • We've got the carb ratio nailed down, but the basal remains an issue overnight. Like, last night, I went to bed at 150, and I woke up at 600. Something happened, but it was a meal I've had before, was meticulously carb counted, etc. My body just ... did not like it last night. The big culprits for late meals are usually pizza, Chinese, and sushi -- it's just hard to get a really good grasp on the insulin timing, and how I extend that bolus. Last night was meatloaf and tater tots (because sometimes, feeding me is like feeding a toddler), so not super fatty or super carby (total meal was 23 gm of carbs, and 14 of fat).
    • Exercise is a big factor, but not reliably so. Sometimes I work out at night/in the evenings and I'm fine with the next morning, sometimes ... I'm very much not fine. That's gotten a little better since starting to pull back on some of the calorie restriction, which is letting the glycogen be more available.
    • I do start requiring more insulin when it gets colder. I don't know if last night was one of those "OK, now my body thinks it's too cold" situations that's now kicked me over the edge. I usually have to start upping it in January, so it's possible we're just a month early. (It's also then part of what makes summer so difficult, because I will just start dropping and there's no lead up besides "oh, there's three days in a row where I can't fix hypos."
    • I'm fairly insulin sensitive. "Typical" adult doses are in the ballpark of a unit per kilo, and I'm at half a unit per kilo.
    • Overnights are challenging, and borderline frightening because if I tweak too much, I end up hypo when I wake up. I live alone, so that becomes more of a safety issue. But, it might be worth seeing if this is the winter phenomenon just happening early, and nudging up every so slightly (like, the smallest increase) overnight and see if that helps.

I have to commend you. I've never met anyone that had both damaged alpha and beta cells. I'd love to be on the research team that helps your case because this is something new for me. Overactive glucagon response and impaired insulin is the usual case for many T1s and beta cell damaged T2s.. they're also generally insulin resistant so insulin doses are ungodly high, which does nothing to keep adding more insulin since they generally feel "saved as long as they have their insulin to save them" .. until it stops working and pancreatitis is prevalent with CKD, etc...

At this point, it's almost the extreme of what happens when you're insulin sensitive and dosing must be precise. I'm barely familiar with Dr. Bernstein and I know he is T1 and works with many T1s to control the stereotypical postprandial excursions to cover their bolus intake and overnight, but I haven't interacted in his group long enough to know the nuances.

The alpha cell thing is ... fascinating, and simultaneously annoying. Basically, it means that I have no natural response to hypos, which in turn leads to really bad hypos, with then delayed spikes. I'll get a glucose dump once the adrenaline hits, but not when it's actually useful.

It's part of why when people start talking about beta cells as a treatment route, I just sort of turn it off -- because for me, that would just be a disaster, since there still wouldn't be anything to control the glucose release.

I side-eye Bernstein. He's low-carb preachy, and frankly, I don't need to demonize food groups. I'm sure he's helpful for many, but I can't stand him. My typical carb intake is usually around 200 gm or less -- so not low carb, but also not Standard American Diet carbs.

I think anything less than SAD amounts counts as "low carb" in the sense of that it's not ad lib and rampant. And not that I look to Bernstein, he just sort of popped up first in my mind as a T1 practitioner lol. In your case, you may actually require the carbs since glucagon isn't assisting at all in hypo episodes. And I'm not one to demonize macros at all either, regardless of the way I actually eat.

However, I am interested to know how alpha cell therapy works. It's really a new aspect for me. And I do wish you a lot of success since you living alone isn't optimal.. though I do wonder if having a continuous glucose monitor might be of use to you for timing doses for bolus and exercise, as well as be able to act as a kind of medical alert sent to your device and notify any emergency contacts.

A CGM would be useful, but I refuse to wear a second torso site. Because I run, that eliminates thigh sites, unfortunately (I'd be willing to wear it off label there, but the endos both have insisted that accuracy would be affected). And I don't have the dexterity (or the fat stores) to get it on the back of my arms. The endo was very blunt that at this point, considering the whole picture, he'd prefer to see me saving my torso for the pump sites -- because again, the fat isn't enough on the thighs or arms to support a site there.

I'm getting a new pump this spring, and will likely go ahead with getting approval with the CGM since it's integrated in the model that I want -- it would be easier to do it now, and work on gradual acceptance (or the dexterity to get it on the back of my torso...) with the therapist, than to start from scratch, I think. I know my insurer would approve it, and I used to wear it, but I just can't take the body image impact.

At this point, a truly functional artificial pancreas requiring only one site would be my ideal. I don't believe that we're going to see any meaningful movement on the beta cell/alpha cell front in my lifetime, since to solve that would involve solving the whole autoimmunity picture as well -- how do you get the body to stop attacking the cells? So I'll take the better technology, and continue to amaze my team that I'm running half marathons with marginal effects. (That one took a lot of finagling!)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Either a two-pound whoosh this morning, or just my blood sugar punking me. (Like, stupidly scary high. WTF, body?) Only time will tell, I suppose.

What's your fasting glucose? I have some running theories about blood sugar spikes with whooshes which incorporate the idea of lipolysis to release extraneous stored glucose within the adipocytes into blood circulation. I'm not sure if it's a feasible theory since I haven't run it across the current thought leaders, but it's just something I have in my head.

It varies, usually depending on how the previous night was, whether there was exercise, whether there was alcohol, etc.

This morning was ... not fantastic. We need to tweak my overnight insulin -- while still being on the side of "we need to make sure I'm not hypoglycemic overnight" -- because I keep waking up high. I could start that on my own, but there are some mornings when I'm fine, so I'm trying to rule out other issues first.

In the interest of teasing out one variable at a time, when you have a chance, perhaps Bill Lagakos's article may be pertinent. He regularly posts on biochemistry and circadian rhythm. Because of him I've followed a bit of circadian entrainment for the better part of 6 months this year, even if I don't quite understand half the crap he describes lol

Yup. Dawn phenomenon is why I'm on a higher dose overnight, peaking at 5:30 a.m. ;)

I've been type 1 for 35 years. Let's just say that, well, it's sort of like Nony and her having researched and tried everything for eczema. I'm comfortable making pump adjustments, and my endocrinologist has given me carte blanche to manage it how I feel best, since I generally have a good history with that. But it gets annoying and difficult when there's no true pattern, and I can't tease out what is actually going on, in absence of other hormonal factors.

Given that leptin governs insulin which also regulates cortisol, which is influenced by stress and physiologically responds to cellular status to demand or reject energy substrates, I'd say a lot of hormonal factors are actually at play.. and there's way too many of them to try to pin down since it's hard to address one without affecting the others. Though, if you and your endo have tried to find some correlation with better results, have you noticed any patterns with days (and preceding nights) that were particularly well controlled with morning numbers?

ETA: This may be geared towards more lada T1.5 or beta cell damaged T2s, but I just thought it was interesting to note in terms of alternative anti-hyperglycemic control

Yeah, sadly, in addition to my insulin production being as dead as a doorknob (doornail? I always forget which one it's supposed to be), I also lack the cells that tell the liver to release glucagon to thus start that process. My immune system took out that sector very thoroughly.

All three endos I've had have been stumped -- one even put my logs up (de-identified, of course) in their workroom, with a post-it note of "we've tried X,Y,Z with no results, what would you do?" In the olden days -- and I guess some would still use it, although I despise the term -- I would have been called a brittle diabetic. Nighttime has always been a challenge, typically more on the hypoglycemic end.

So, in the long of it...
    • Calorie restriction has more of a hypoglycemic effect, which would be expected. But then, there's that conundrum of "I'm not supposed to be restricting," with "restrict too much and there's no glycogen stores" with a bonus side of "then I start having cyclical hypos that we can't break out of."
    • We've got the carb ratio nailed down, but the basal remains an issue overnight. Like, last night, I went to bed at 150, and I woke up at 600. Something happened, but it was a meal I've had before, was meticulously carb counted, etc. My body just ... did not like it last night. The big culprits for late meals are usually pizza, Chinese, and sushi -- it's just hard to get a really good grasp on the insulin timing, and how I extend that bolus. Last night was meatloaf and tater tots (because sometimes, feeding me is like feeding a toddler), so not super fatty or super carby (total meal was 23 gm of carbs, and 14 of fat).
    • Exercise is a big factor, but not reliably so. Sometimes I work out at night/in the evenings and I'm fine with the next morning, sometimes ... I'm very much not fine. That's gotten a little better since starting to pull back on some of the calorie restriction, which is letting the glycogen be more available.
    • I do start requiring more insulin when it gets colder. I don't know if last night was one of those "OK, now my body thinks it's too cold" situations that's now kicked me over the edge. I usually have to start upping it in January, so it's possible we're just a month early. (It's also then part of what makes summer so difficult, because I will just start dropping and there's no lead up besides "oh, there's three days in a row where I can't fix hypos."
    • I'm fairly insulin sensitive. "Typical" adult doses are in the ballpark of a unit per kilo, and I'm at half a unit per kilo.
    • Overnights are challenging, and borderline frightening because if I tweak too much, I end up hypo when I wake up. I live alone, so that becomes more of a safety issue. But, it might be worth seeing if this is the winter phenomenon just happening early, and nudging up every so slightly (like, the smallest increase) overnight and see if that helps.

I have to commend you. I've never met anyone that had both damaged alpha and beta cells. I'd love to be on the research team that helps your case because this is something new for me. Overactive glucagon response and impaired insulin is the usual case for many T1s and beta cell damaged T2s.. they're also generally insulin resistant so insulin doses are ungodly high, which does nothing to keep adding more insulin since they generally feel "saved as long as they have their insulin to save them" .. until it stops working and pancreatitis is prevalent with CKD, etc...

At this point, it's almost the extreme of what happens when you're insulin sensitive and dosing must be precise. I'm barely familiar with Dr. Bernstein and I know he is T1 and works with many T1s to control the stereotypical postprandial excursions to cover their bolus intake and overnight, but I haven't interacted in his group long enough to know the nuances.

The alpha cell thing is ... fascinating, and simultaneously annoying. Basically, it means that I have no natural response to hypos, which in turn leads to really bad hypos, with then delayed spikes. I'll get a glucose dump once the adrenaline hits, but not when it's actually useful.

It's part of why when people start talking about beta cells as a treatment route, I just sort of turn it off -- because for me, that would just be a disaster, since there still wouldn't be anything to control the glucose release.

I side-eye Bernstein. He's low-carb preachy, and frankly, I don't need to demonize food groups. I'm sure he's helpful for many, but I can't stand him. My typical carb intake is usually around 200 gm or less -- so not low carb, but also not Standard American Diet carbs.

I think anything less than SAD amounts counts as "low carb" in the sense of that it's not ad lib and rampant. And not that I look to Bernstein, he just sort of popped up first in my mind as a T1 practitioner lol. In your case, you may actually require the carbs since glucagon isn't assisting at all in hypo episodes. And I'm not one to demonize macros at all either, regardless of the way I actually eat.

However, I am interested to know how alpha cell therapy works. It's really a new aspect for me. And I do wish you a lot of success since you living alone isn't optimal.. though I do wonder if having a continuous glucose monitor might be of use to you for timing doses for bolus and exercise, as well as be able to act as a kind of medical alert sent to your device and notify any emergency contacts.

A CGM would be useful, but I refuse to wear a second torso site. Because I run, that eliminates thigh sites, unfortunately (I'd be willing to wear it off label there, but the endos both have insisted that accuracy would be affected). And I don't have the dexterity (or the fat stores) to get it on the back of my arms. The endo was very blunt that at this point, considering the whole picture, he'd prefer to see me saving my torso for the pump sites -- because again, the fat isn't enough on the thighs or arms to support a site there.

I'm getting a new pump this spring, and will likely go ahead with getting approval with the CGM since it's integrated in the model that I want -- it would be easier to do it now, and work on gradual acceptance (or the dexterity to get it on the back of my torso...) with the therapist, than to start from scratch, I think. I know my insurer would approve it, and I used to wear it, but I just can't take the body image impact.

At this point, a truly functional artificial pancreas requiring only one site would be my ideal. I don't believe that we're going to see any meaningful movement on the beta cell/alpha cell front in my lifetime, since to solve that would involve solving the whole autoimmunity picture as well -- how do you get the body to stop attacking the cells? So I'll take the better technology, and continue to amaze my team that I'm running half marathons with marginal effects. (That one took a lot of finagling!)

When you work this out, please let me know :\
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

So, in the long of it...

When you work this out, please let me know :\

Precisely. There is so much that could be unlocked for treatment of so many conditions if they could figure that part out. Sadly, my expectations with what *I* want for treatment are a bit ahead of the curve. ;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Popping in to say I am so glad I found this tribe of people who are interested in the science behind all this. Reading and absorbing.

I agree.

Except I've stopped commenting as I have an annoying habit of steering threads completely off topic! :open_mouth:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    In aggravated assault triggering news: I loathe... absolutely loathe loud open mouth lip-smacking food chewers. There's one here in my office as I type this and I'm very much wishing for a fly to enter between the open mouth concert sessions.

I see what you tried to do there @anubis609 and arguably, given your contributions to @Nony_Mouse 's thread, you probably SHOULD be featured in the first post on page 100! :wink:

Haha, you may have the 100th page @PAV8888. Aside from trying to bump it into the triple digits, I really was excreting the thought process as it was happening.. it's actually STILL happening. I regret having a candy bowl here

Time for a coffee / bathroom break and some distance! I've seen you lifting weights and I don't want you going postal on "chewey" :hushed:

Well to soothe any thoughts of me lashing out, I'm legally bound to "play nice" for the next 2 years, so there's no immediate worry :sweat_smile: You'll also be happy to know she has left my vicinity. I'm letting someone else deal with her.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Popping in to say I am so glad I found this tribe of people who are interested in the science behind all this. Reading and absorbing.

I agree.

Except I've stopped commenting as I have an annoying habit of steering threads completely off topic! :open_mouth:

There's still subjects that are off topic here??
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    Options
    Okay, shopping joy. Not sure the photos of the dresses are good enough to be able to see what the prints are. Doctor Who fans might be able to get the grey and red one. The purple one is my Christmas dress (that's a clue, it's film).
    Pretty :wink:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh look at that, purple one is easy peasy!!

Second clue for the grey and red, the dark red print is a very famous two word Doctor Who quote. I now own three Doctor Who dresses, fyi. And a skirt.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse please tell me to *kitten* off if this too personal. I'm not sure if you've mentioned it already, but can i ask what your height and weight is?

IMHO you look just perfect. :flowerforyou:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

Second clue for the grey and red, the dark red print is a very famous two word Doctor Who quote. I now own three Doctor Who dresses, fyi. And a skirt.

I will admit that I've never watched Doctor Who, so have absolutely no idea.... The dresses look good on you though @Nony_Mouse, and the bag is cute!

(I've never watched any Star Wars or Lord of the Rings either)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse please tell me to *kitten* off if this too personal. I'm not sure if you've mentioned it already, but can i ask what your height and weight is?

Aw, thanks :blush:

168cm/5'6", uh 60.5 (or 60.8 if you include the pre-weigh in glass of water) kg/~134 lb (can't be bothered converting, close a damn 'nuf) as of today.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I will admit that I've never watched Doctor Who, so have absolutely no idea.... The dresses look good on you though @Nony_Mouse, and the bag is cute!

(I've never watched any Star Wars or Lord of the Rings either)

You really, really should watch Doctor Who. And Star Wars (also have a Star Wars dress from the same shop, same style as these two). Lord of the Rings, read the books, much, much better. Unless you want to see the forest I could see from my bedroom window in basically inner city Wellington (and have walked in many times), which appears early on in the first film, so you don't have to suffer too much.

@GottaBurnEmAll will guess the Doctor Who print straight off. Bet ya.
  • Christine_72
    Options

168cm/5'6", uh 60.5 (or 60.8 if you include the pre-weigh in glass of water) kg/~134 lb (can't be bothered converting, close a damn 'nuf) as of today.

I'm a couple inches taller, but we have a very similar body type.
    I'm always changing my goal weight, and still not sure where to set it...
    To achieve the lower body i want means the top half of me will look skeletal. I just need to find the happy medium.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options

I'm a couple inches taller, but we have a very similar body type.
    I'm always changing my goal weight, and still not sure where to set it...
    To achieve the lower body i want means the top half of me will look skeletal. I just need to find the happy medium.

Ah yes, that is now my balancing act!! Certainly not aiming to lose more weight, but I would like some fat to come of my lower body. Without more coming off my upper body...
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Vet just called with lab results, looks like the anomalies on the in-house tests were probably dehydration, and his wee kidneys are functioning just fine :). We'll be keeping a close eye on them and retesting, since he needs to go back in a few weeks for another thyroid test anyway.

I crunched some data on my CICO. November appears looking at the whole month that I was burning an additional 200 cals a day, but that includes the initial drop from rash generation, so I think I need to eliminate that. But based on the last two weeks, taking it from rash at its worst and weight morning of first day of pred (so no water weight yet), I'm burning an additional 500 cals a day :# Holy moly!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Now that's interesting - going from five days after first diet break until first day of diet break that wasn't (well pre-eczema flare from hell), I only lost .2 kg/0.44 lb more than I should have, which is 1540 cals, or 44 per day when averaged, but also equally explainable by an uptick in RMR during late luteal phase. So under normal circumstances, I'm probably good to go with what my Fitbit says (clever thing), with maybe some extra cals those few days before TOM. Needs more solid, unskewed data, but who knows when I'm going to get that. I guess I'll just continue eating a couple of hundred extra the next few days until TOM, then go back to Fitbit TDEE and see what pans out.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That would be interesting if Fitbit took some of the averages of RMR uptick from studies, and when a device is registered to a woman, offer option to input some dates and attempt a little more accuracy.