Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    But as you've been low carb when you return to "normal" carb you are going to see a scale spike as glycogen replenishes.

Holy scale spike, Batman! 12.5 lbs in 5 days. I'm thankful you warned me. And while I fed myself well over Christmas, that is unreal.

Regardless, I am staying the course for a two week break at around 2000 calories per day. I wonder what news the scale will have by the end.

I've done 18 lbs in 4 days. You're completely fine lol. Obviously, there's going to be some mind-fornication happening as the scale shows spikes, but if all (or at least most) of your calories were accounted for, it's not bad since you know you didn't magically eat 35k calories over TDEE to gain >10+ lbs of fat. Even those youtube challenges to eat 10k calories in a day with bodybuilders show their initial post day spikes at +8-10 lbs.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    But as you've been low carb when you return to "normal" carb you are going to see a scale spike as glycogen replenishes.

Holy scale spike, Batman! 12.5 lbs in 5 days. I'm thankful you warned me. And while I fed myself well over Christmas, that is unreal.

Regardless, I am staying the course for a two week break at around 2000 calories per day. I wonder what news the scale will have by the end.

I'm sporting about 9lbs at the highest over the last few days. It's as much about volume of food as salt and carbs for me. I feel like a stuffed bloated pig and the scale and stomach puff agree!

It'll all sort itself out. You may hold on to a little just by virtue of the fact you're not low carb, that would equalise if you remained at the same carb level. Same as when you start low carb most people have a whoosh and a stall, just water weight finding its new level.

Aside from cheese and some Italian meats there are no more calorie bomb foods left! Well, I am still going to make more roast spuds because the first batch weren't my finest work so I am still hankering after the good stuff. But I'm going to be logging again from tomorrow, I just need to get back to known intake to straighten myself out. I'll probably demolish the cheese new year's eve (a glass of wine and some nibbles are about as wild as I get, as with Christmas, I don't New Year as a general rule).
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I'm not weighing again until I've been back in deficit for a good two weeks, maybe more. Weight fluctuations are of no real interest to me.
    The trend is all I care about and with 73lbs to target a couple up or down don't matter

End of March is my next big target, looking to be 90kgs then plus or minus 2
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I weigh daily, or at least generally speaking, for the same reason. Both get the same goal. I won't assess the real "damage" if there is any until a couple of weeks into January, I hold onto water like nobody's business.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Huh, weird. I just put my Chuck T's on and it appears I have some fluid retention going on. From what I have no idea. Certainly wasn't evident on the scale.

Apparently you got the inches, and I got the pounds. :D
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Ugh, next level hay fever today. Damn wind. I had to take another antihistamine while I was out. My eyes were so bloodshot I looked stoned.

Interestingly, though my skin hurts today, the redness in my face, neck and collarbone area seems to have subsided the past few days. Still some redness around collarbones and very top of chest, but I'd actually forgotten how damn pale I am! Oh hai, milky skin :). My money is on lemon juice being the culprit, given what grapefruit did to me.

Thanks to Boxing Day sales I now have a hypoallergenic mattress topper, bamboo pillow and new Egyptian cotton sheets (cos not scratchy, totally justified). Oh and a pair of black crop jeans that I've been eying up for months that were finally on sale.

Hopefully I have enough food in the house, because I intend to not set foot outside again until this wind buggers off (which according to the forecast will be Saturday). Not quite sure how I'm going to burn enough to eat 1000 cals of pavlova...
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Well, between being back at work and on a normal schedule and the excellent body weight workout I did this morning, I was under maintenance about 400 calories or so. I started to stress out about it, then I laughed at myself and made a cheese plate. I wish I had some wine to go along with it, though. Or fruit. Stupid winter, all out of fruit.

hbar50cb2flq.jpeg
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Well, between being back at work and on a normal schedule and the excellent body weight workout I did this morning, I was under maintenance about 400 calories or so. I started to stress out about it, then I laughed at myself and made a cheese plate. I wish I had some wine to go along with it, though. Or fruit. Stupid winter, all out of fruit.

hbar50cb2flq.jpeg

Yum!!

I was going to do yoga today, but I think I will just have to launch straight back into Strong Curves so I can burn some damn cals.

Though, gingernut biscuits (cookies) don't have calories if you're eating them for medicinal purposes, right? Because that's totally why I bought those...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

holy crap, Go you!! I've maxed out at 6.6lbs :confounded:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

hbar50cb2flq.jpeg

Yum!!

I was going to do yoga today, but I think I will just have to launch straight back into Strong Curves so I can burn some damn cals.

Though, gingernut biscuits (cookies) don't have calories if you're eating them for medicinal purposes, right? Because that's totally why I bought those...

Ginger is good for the digestion, right? That totally counts! I did my first ever yoga workout earlier tonight and it wasn’t bad - just a ten minute stretching thing, but my back and arms were sore enough to keep me up last night so I figured I’d give it a try. I see why people like it. :smile: I’d still have preferred the wine.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options

Like the trainer says: Go hard or go home! HAHA! o:)

• Nony_Mouse
    Options

hbar50cb2flq.jpeg

Yum!!

Ginger is good for the digestion, right? That totally counts! I did my first ever yoga workout earlier tonight and it wasn’t bad - just a ten minute stretching thing, but my back and arms were sore enough to keep me up last night so I figured I’d give it a try. I see why people like it. :smile: I’d still have preferred the wine.

Yoga is the bomb. And I really do feel like I need a decent stretch before getting back to strength training properly. The practice I have in mind is pretty strength focused anyway (there's 12 or 13 chaturanga to up dogs in there, and a ton of warrior flows). It's just the abysmal calorie burn. I guess I can survive a few days on poverty cals (which is still around 1800-1900).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I feel like I've failed somehow actually being lighter after Christmas Day :D
  • collectingblues
    edited December 2017
    Options

I'm cursing my cycle, somewhat. Because I'm pretty sure that if it weren't for that, I'd be lighter.

Last year, I lost after Christmas, and had a dietitian appointment shortly after (the dietitian I fired in August). She was on my case about how I'd lost again (which, for obvious reasons, didn't bother me), and I retorted with something along the lines of how well, I'd actually eaten at Christmas, and I was just as confused.

In hindsight, I should have taken her "but you shouldn't have hypermetabolism" as a sign that she wasn't very good. Because holy assumptions, Batman!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Silly humans. Never satisfied. HAHA! ;)

• Nony_Mouse
    Options

I'm cursing my cycle, somewhat. Because I'm pretty sure that if it weren't for that, I'd be lighter.

Last year, I lost after Christmas, and had a dietitian appointment shortly after (the dietitian I fired in August). She was on my case about how I'd lost again (which, for obvious reasons, didn't bother me), and I retorted with something along the lines of how well, I'd actually eaten at Christmas, and I was just as confused.

In hindsight, I should have taken her "but you shouldn't have hypermetabolism" as a sign that she wasn't very good. Because holy assumptions, Batman!

If you ignore the fact I had a wee uptick on Christmas Day, I actually stayed the same.

And, um, yup on your former dietician!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, or at least generally speaking, for the same reason. Both get the same goal. I won't assess the real "damage" if there is any until a couple of weeks into January, I hold onto water like nobody's business.

apparently I'm in the same boat you are, as I'm up 7 lbs from last week's weigh in, and I know its mostly water weight from the carb heavy Christmas dinner and leftover's yesterday. though with the way I was over-indulging 4 days in a row, part of it may be actual fat gain to the tune of a lb or two as I know I was over and probably over maintence a bit as well, but I didn't log.

What frustrates me is that it seems that if I do any kind of strenuous activity or up the carb intake, the water weight comes rushing on, and then takes days to come back off - I don't get any kind of woosh; or at least, I woosh in the wrong direction!

Oh well. We're working on the kitchen in my house - all upper and lower cabinets are in but two, and hopefully, they'll be up today or tomorrow. I hope to get the countertops this weekend and that we can finish up the touch up painting and varnishing and trimming next week, give the place a good cleaning after dad gets all his tools out of the place (that will take a good day in and of itself!), and then I can start moving furniture in the following week. One the fridge, stove, and microwave are set up, I can hopefully get back into my routine!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options

hbar50cb2flq.jpeg

Yum!!

Yoga is the bomb. And I really do feel like I need a decent stretch before getting back to strength training properly. The practice I have in mind is pretty strength focused anyway (there's 12 or 13 chaturanga to up dogs in there, and a ton of warrior flows). It's just the abysmal calorie burn. I guess I can survive a few days on poverty cals (which is still around 1800-1900).

I definitely recognized the words “dog” and “warrior” in there. ;) I’ve been used to pretty small calorie burns so it’s weird figuring out what to do on a day like yesterday. I don’t want to get reliant on those big burns though, if that makes sense, so these quiet days should be good practice.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

apparently I'm in the same boat you are, as I'm up 7 lbs from last week's weigh in, and I know its mostly water weight from the carb heavy Christmas dinner and leftover's yesterday. though with the way I was over-indulging 4 days in a row, part of it may be actual fat gain to the tune of a lb or two as I know I was over and probably over maintence a bit as well, but I didn't log.

What frustrates me is that it seems that if I do any kind of strenuous activity or up the carb intake, the water weight comes rushing on, and then takes days to come back off - I don't get any kind of woosh; or at least, I woosh in the wrong direction!

Oh well. We're working on the kitchen in my house - all upper and lower cabinets are in but two, and hopefully, they'll be up today or tomorrow. I hope to get the countertops this weekend and that we can finish up the touch up painting and varnishing and trimming next week, give the place a good cleaning after dad gets all his tools out of the place (that will take a good day in and of itself!), and then I can start moving furniture in the following week. One the fridge, stove, and microwave are set up, I can hopefully get back into my routine!

I'm the same but in the long term it makes no odds, even if you're constantly bouncing up 3lbs, you're still also bouncing down. As they say, it all comes out in the wash.
  • collectingblues
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Got a morning weight, finally. Only up two pounds from Dec. 23 -- and considering I usually get a three pound bump from cyclical stuff, I'll totally take this as a win. I totally would have been down if it weren't for the cyclical stuff.

Since I was ahead of schedule, I picked up a breakfast sandwich from Panera. I was hungry, and it was there so ... why not?