Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Update: I’m eating at maintenance plus exercise calories, and I lost 2 lbs this week. Eating at a deficit, I tend to gain, or barely be able to lose.

So many questions...but, I wonder if it has to do with stress. I’ve been off work the last week. Or, maybe my “maintence” eating is really a deficit. So, confused now.

If you were not seeing losses at what should have been a deficit, then my money is on dropping some cortisol-related water weight (so yes, stress).
  • Nony_Mouse
    Mere Kihirimete from NZ everyone!!!!!!

I think Pav may have been on the money with some of my weight drop being loss of exercise-related water weight. Two days of being a busy beaver plus decent evening walks and I've popped up a bit. Huzzah!! Actually been at an accidental deficit the past two days due to not really planning for those big TDEEs (2800 and 2700). I'm sure that will be rectified today.

I'm not sure I'm going to bother to try to track, what with a lot of the food being nibbly stuff. I'm certainly not sitting there with my phone logging every time I pop a chocolate or a corn chip in my mouth! Would love the data, and even just out of sheer curiosity, but meh.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Yay! Good choice @laurenebargar :)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Mmmmm!
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Jugged hare is depressurising. Home from mum and stepdad's, which was roast lamb and waay too much red wine. Goose is lurking in the wine cellar :D
  • mph323
    What's a jugged hare? It sounds intriguing!
  • Terebynthia
    I basically used this recipe, but pressure cooked for 55 mins as I had serious side eye at "simmer for 1 hour at 160 degrees" and most recipes call for long slow cooking. It was very tasty, and I have a litre of stock from it to freeze for future stew activities. :)

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/classic-jugged-hare-recipe
  • Terebynthia
    My Fitness Pal also tells me hare is very low in calories, which I guess makes sense as there's no fat to speak of :D
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Jugged hare is depressurising. Home from mum and stepdad's, which was roast lamb and waay too much red wine. Goose is lurking in the wine cellar :D

I've always wanted to try rabbit and goose both, but they aren't easy to come by around here. I can get a frozen goose at the local grocery, but I've heard that goose is very greasy, and I hate to pay what they cost to try it only to find out I don't like it.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Rabbit just about my favourite meat
  • mph323
    I basically used this recipe, but pressure cooked for 55 mins as I had serious side eye at "simmer for 1 hour at 160 degrees" and most recipes call for long slow cooking. It was very tasty, and I have a litre of stock from it to freeze for future stew activities. :)

http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/classic-jugged-hare-recipe

OMG that looks AMAZING!
  • AMC110
    AMC110 Posts: 188 Member
    Just so I'm clear, is a refeed when you eat at maintenance level for a short period of time (a day, several days, couple of weeks, etc.)?
  • Nony_Mouse
    AMC110 wrote: »
    Just so I'm clear, is a refeed when you eat at maintenance level for a short period of time (a day, several days, couple of weeks, etc.)?

Refeed is at least two days, high carb (all explained in the video in the fist post). Diet break, which is what you should do if you've been at a deficit for a while, is 10-14 days, link in the first post to explain how and why.