GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Another 1.5 pounds off this morning!

Awesome!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    tar2323 wrote: »
    I've read through this entire thread and I'm doing my best to absorb all the incredible info provided by you guys. Taking on board what you've said, I'm going to head into a diet break. I'm down from 233 to 165 with only a short stop in the middle, so it makes sense. I'd like some help to work out what my maintenance cals should be, if you wouldn't mind? I'm 5ft 1", 56 years-old and mostly sedentary. I've been losing about .5lb a week on 1200 cals, more when I've dropped the cals further (which I don't do often). With those stats, what sort of range should I be aiming for to maintain over the Christmas/New Year period? I'm hopeful for this, as I've certainly noticed a correlation between a short high-carb refeed weekend and fast weightloss thereafter. Nice that this thread explains that it's not just me imagining it. Thanks so much for your fantastic advice - it's a real game changer for me.

Ah, we're twinsies almost. I'm 55 and your height.

A half pound a week loss would indicate that your maintenance is somewhere in the 1450-1500 calorie range, though I think it might be higher and you're likely losing a bit more slowly due to adaptations to dieting. (I'm saying this based on what I know my sedentary maintenance is).

When you lose more quickly after a carb refeed weekend, how much do you lose?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I've read through this entire thread and I'm doing my best to absorb all the incredible info provided by you guys. Taking on board what you've said, I'm going to head into a diet break. I'm down from 233 to 165 with only a short stop in the middle, so it makes sense. I'd like some help to work out what my maintenance cals should be, if you wouldn't mind? I'm 5ft 1", 56 years-old and mostly sedentary. I've been losing about .5lb a week on 1200 cals, more when I've dropped the cals further (which I don't do often). With those stats, what sort of range should I be aiming for to maintain over the Christmas/New Year period? I'm hopeful for this, as I've certainly noticed a correlation between a short high-carb refeed weekend and fast weightloss thereafter. Nice that this thread explains that it's not just me imagining it. Thanks so much for your fantastic advice - it's a real game changer for me.

A half pound a week loss would indicate that your maintenance is somewhere in the 1450-1500 calorie range, though I think it might be higher and you're likely losing a bit more slowly due to adaptations to dieting. (I'm saying this based on what I know my sedentary maintenance is).

Could be some logging inaccuracies too as that is a slow rate of loss for size/age/calorie intake.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Could be some logging inaccuracies too as that is a slow rate of loss for size/age/calorie intake.

Agreed.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I'm ridiculously pedantic when it comes to logging, even pre-packaged 'calorie-counted' foods I weigh as they are often incorrect. I check and re-check everything, always.

It may be slower because of the oestrogen-stripping hormone drugs I'm on (others complain about weight gain, which I know is more to do with feeling hungrier and overeating as a result). I'm also post menopause and fairly sedentary at the moment.

I thought half a pound a week for someone my age and height and activity level was about right?

@GottaBurnEmAll - hi twin :) This past week for instance, it was my birthday celebrations. My lowest weight was 166 on last Saturday morning, then I ate more mince pies/sausage rolls etc than I should have, had a couple of guesstimate cal meals and ended the weekend with a burger and small fries (all that I could get at that time of night). When I weighed the next morning I was 169.8. Today, less than a week later, I'm down to 165.2 (have been at in deficit cals since Monday).

• tar2323
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Ditto to inaccuracy - likely was eating more, meaning maintenance would be more by same unknown amount.

But with so little an increase, accuracy at higher eating level is likely to be the same.

So indeed go up to the 1450 mentioned, even if in reality that is actually a higher eaten number.

But, as also mentioned, that rate of loss was also likely to already having an adapted lower TDEE, so 1450 won't be potential TDEE, but still suppressed TDEE.

I'd suggest go up to the 1450 first for a week, get used to it.
    2nd week, increase by 100 extra each day - 1550.
    At this point, go for another 100 extra daily for a 3rd week - 1650.

You won't suffer from a longer break after so long in a diet.

If you can get energy levels back and really have potential TDEE up around 1650 - then going forward the 250 deficit will leave you 1400 for eating goal.
    Because if truly sedentary, less than 4000 steps daily and no workouts - I'm seeing 1595 estimated TDEE.

And then factor in regular breaks, and/or the 2 day refeed - to keep the TDEE up at potential rather than suppressed level.

Thanks for the good advice. I'll start at 1450 and see where I go from there.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

I'm ridiculously pedantic when it comes to logging, even pre-packaged 'calorie-counted' foods I weigh as they are often incorrect. I check and re-check everything, always.

It may be slower because of the oestrogen-stripping hormone drugs I'm on (others complain about weight gain, which I know is more to do with feeling hungrier and overeating as a result). I'm also post menopause and fairly sedentary at the moment.

I thought half a pound a week for someone my age and height and activity level was about right?

@GottaBurnEmAll - hi twin :) This past week for instance, it was my birthday celebrations. My lowest weight was 166 on last Saturday morning, then I ate more mince pies/sausage rolls etc than I should have, had a couple of guesstimate cal meals and ended the weekend with a burger and small fries (all that I could get at that time of night). When I weighed the next morning I was 169.8. Today, less than a week later, I'm down to 165.2 (have been at in deficit cals since Monday).

Well, it's hard to tell what happened there with actual fat loss due to not knowing what your weight was before the weekend. That high weight is artificially high due to extra food and water in your system, so it wasn't all fat loss that you saw on the scale that week.

When you say you check and double check everything, do you also verify data base entries?
  • tar2323
    edited December 2017
    Options

"Well, it's hard to tell what happened there with actual fat loss due to not knowing what your weight was before the weekend. That high weight is artificially high due to extra food and water in your system, so it wasn't all fat loss that you saw on the scale that week.

When you say you check and double check everything, do you also verify data base entries?"

Weight at the start of the weekend was 166.

Re data base entries, I go by food packaging labels for cal content (or use the US database for guidance), then find a correct MFP database entry or make my own if there isn't one.

I think I probably have lost more than .5lb a week on average, looking back. More than a pound some weeks, sometimes two, other times I can swing back and forth over the same pound for 10 days. I had a month or two in the middle when I stopped counting and gained a bit back, which is now gone again.

I'm a yo-yo dieter - I've lost and gained the same 5 or 6 stone more times than I care to count. Usually through heavily restricting cals more than was healthy because I was impatient for results - not something I'm doing this time. It's much harder this time around (slower) but that's to be expected. I also feel better equipped to keep it off going forward. Knowing the science behind it all really helps. If you do A+B, you get C (for the most part).

• tar2323
    edited December 2017
    Options
    . One of these days I'll work out how to use the 'quote' properly and how to delete a post!

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    @tar2323 - first, welcome aboard!! Second, Kiwi, Brit or Aussie? (mince pies and sausage rolls, you can't be in North America, right?)

Can't delete posts (you can edit by hovering over the little wheel at the top right of your post for one hour after posting). Quotes, hit the quote button in the bottom line, but sometimes it gets mucked up.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Another 1.5 pounds off this morning!

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • tar2323
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    @tar2323 - first, welcome aboard!! Second, Kiwi, Brit or Aussie? (mince pies and sausage rolls, you can't be in North America, right?)

Can't delete posts (you can edit by hovering over the little wheel at the top right of your post for one hour after posting). Quotes, hit the quote button in the bottom line, but sometimes it gets mucked up.

Thanks for the welcome - Brit here :)

I know how to edit and post a single quote, but if I want to quote one of two or more, that's where it all goes down the pan. I read a lot but rarely post - I expect I'll get the hang of it in time.

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Thanks for the welcome - Brit here :)

I know how to edit and post a single quote, but if I want to quote one of two or more, that's where it all goes down the pan. I read a lot but rarely post - I expect I'll get the hang of it in time.

Ah, I usually cheat and do new posts for each person I'm replying to, because it's so easy to muck up!! I think best way if they're all on the same page is to quote the first, write your response, have the cursor where you want the next one (so hit return a couple of times), hit quote, write response, and so on.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Got 1600 cals to go today, got slow roast brisket, mashed potatoes, veggies then some stewed fruit and custard

Diet break rocks

Are you doing the 'omg, this is so much food, how did I ever get fat?' thing yet?

Of course, it's more mindful, and more nutrient dense food. So, way more bang for your buck than calorie dense, less nutritious stuff (which is of course fine in moderation!).