Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That's valid then.

It's when a van shows up with the equipment at gym or a mall or GNC store or similar and does cut rate tests.

Besides the fact the people are unlikely to be in correct state, I always wonder if this is just prior to spending extra money getting it calibrated and some replacement parts, so getting as much revenue out of the old at possible.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    From Aug to Jan 1, I lost 24#. Since Jan 1, I've lost only 8.4. I've been struggling a bit, so I've changed up a few things. I did a diet break at the end of March. I've changed up my macros to help me with my satiation. I've changed up the number of calories to adding more on the weekend - that really didn't work. lol. Most recently I'm doing 5:2 IF. That seems to be helping the most because I'd be happy to lose 3/4# per week and I calculated to lose 1# per week and hoping that any errors in logging would make up the difference. Yes I weigh my food. Not religiously, but regularly. Probably 50% weighing, 25% measuring, 25% eye balling or guessing. I've quit drinking wine during the week. The first 7 months - no exercise. Since April I've been doing yoga 2-3 times a week. I wish I had done it sooner. Love it. I keep thinking that maybe water in my muscle due to the new exercise is a slight culprit. My sleep is not the best due to some high stress. I don't know. Maybe all of this is normal. I just thought that I would be a little further along after 10 months.

The good parts. In January, I thought my skin felt and looked saggy especially around my belly. Now I can honestly say that it doesn't have that same squishy saggy appearance. Truthfully I still have ALOT of belly fat to lose, but the skin seems to have tightened up. My side boobs are diminishing and my back fat is trimming down. Even my husband commented on it when he hugged me last night.

Is this all normal or is this an underachievement?

Honestly? I'd commit to weighing everything religiously for 4-6 weeks. You need to establish that you're calculating your calorie intake accurately before looking for other potential reasons for slower weight loss.

Agreed. The phrases "it works until it doesn't" and "what gets measured gets managed" apply here. If you're guessing 25% of the time, and loosely measuring another 25%, that's 50% of accountability that gets lost. You don't need to be neurotic about weighing your food at all times in the future, but troubleshooting begins with being able to know where you stand currently, and you want to be as accurate with objective data as possible before looking elsewhere.

Losing fat in the beginning is easy for most because there's some certainty that there's a deficit occurring compared to pre-dieting baseline intake, when dieters become mindful about their food. Once it stops working, then it's time to dial it in.

The hierarchy for body composition always follows: calories > macros [protein > carbs/fat] > micros > meal timing > supplements; and for activity: strength training > cardio (HIIT > LISS), where all the preceding categories should be taken into account before moving onto the next.

Alternatively, you can always eat like a robot:

https://www.facebook.com/chrismasterjohn/videos/1671524842883137/
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    From Aug to Jan 1, I lost 24#. Since Jan 1, I've lost only 8.4. I've been struggling a bit, so I've changed up a few things. I did a diet break at the end of March. I've changed up my macros to help me with my satiation. I've changed up the number of calories to adding more on the weekend - that really didn't work. lol. Most recently I'm doing 5:2 IF. That seems to be helping the most because I'd be happy to lose 3/4# per week and I calculated to lose 1# per week and hoping that any errors in logging would make up the difference. Yes I weigh my food. Not religiously, but regularly. Probably 50% weighing, 25% measuring, 25% eye balling or guessing. I've quit drinking wine during the week. The first 7 months - no exercise. Since April I've been doing yoga 2-3 times a week. I wish I had done it sooner. Love it. I keep thinking that maybe water in my muscle due to the new exercise is a slight culprit. My sleep is not the best due to some high stress. I don't know. Maybe all of this is normal. I just thought that I would be a little further along after 10 months.

The good parts. In January, I thought my skin felt and looked saggy especially around my belly. Now I can honestly say that it doesn't have that same squishy saggy appearance. Truthfully I still have ALOT of belly fat to lose, but the skin seems to have tightened up. My side boobs are diminishing and my back fat is trimming down. Even my husband commented on it when he hugged me last night.

Is this all normal or is this an underachievement?

Honestly? I'd commit to weighing everything religiously for 4-6 weeks. You need to establish that you're calculating your calorie intake accurately before looking for other potential reasons for slower weight loss.

Agreed. The phrases "it works until it doesn't" and "what gets measured gets managed" apply here. If you're guessing 25% of the time, and loosely measuring another 25%, that's 50% of accountability that gets lost. You don't need to be neurotic about weighing your food at all times in the future, but troubleshooting begins with being able to know where you stand currently, and you want to be as accurate with objective data as possible before looking elsewhere.

Losing fat in the beginning is easy for most because there's some certainty that there's a deficit occurring compared to pre-dieting baseline intake, when dieters become mindful about their food. Once it stops working, then it's time to dial it in.

The hierarchy for body composition always follows: calories > macros [protein > carbs/fat] > micros > meal timing > supplements; and for activity: strength training > cardio (HIIT > LISS), where all the preceding categories should be taken into account before moving onto the next.

Alternatively, you can always eat like a robot:

https://www.facebook.com/chrismasterjohn/videos/1671524842883137/

As always, thank you for responding in a way that makes sense to me. I am vigilant about logging 100% of the things that I eat, but I'm doubling down in June on the accuracy.
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    wise words to live by anubis :)
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    So this gal (Stephanie Buttermore) is doing a series of videos based on Lyle's women's book. The third one (not on this playlist yet, but on her channel) is about refeeds and diet breaks.

It's a good cliffnotes version for those just finding this thread thanks to the BUMP!

Thanks for the share. I've got the book and have been chipping at it, but these videos were good reviews.

Note to self: Stick to the Lyle-based videos she's done in the future. Though I think I have a new life goal after watching one of her food day videos... Wow.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Happy Monday all. For anyone that needs a refresher of what result chasing entails, enjoy this post by Aadam Ali

https://www.facebook.com/728747640541819/posts/1762918070458099/

ltd0kx7azj5u.png

QFT and all around awesomeness! Especially no. 1.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I have celiac disease, so everything I do is gluten free!

To dress up your potatoes, look for different herbs. Chives are good, roasting them with smoked paprika then hitting them with a squirt of lemon juice is tasty too.

Rosemary! Or garlic! A little basil or nasturtium. Or try a little turmeric.