Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    At least it’s stupid hot during summer! It was 83 here yesterday and it’s supposed to be Winter!

Hope Mario is doing well—fingers crossed for him (and you)! :heart:

My TSH is up, almost out of the normal range. My GP didn’t do a full panel, so I plan on asking for one at the end of this month to see if it’s a fluke or not. And to see if I need to go back to the endocrinologist. My weight is up about 7 pounds pretty consistently, more than just normal fluctuations for me. I’ve been on this Ned level for about six years. Though it has gone up and down of it’s own accord—my previous doc thought my thyroid’s production of hormones was being inconsistent and spitting out more at some times and less at others.

Found something interesting with my fitness tracker. For my walks around my apt. Complex, I get fewer calories for my adjustment when they’re formal exercise (using one of the settings in the watch and starting it and stopping it) than I do if I just walk and the movement is counted as steps. I watch tv on my phone, and my pace is pretty consistent. Though my heart rate spiked high last night because I rented “It.” Holy crap! I can’t wait for the next one!!!! I have most of “The Walking Dead” to catch up on, too.

So, in order to better calculate my TDEE, I’m going with eating back 50% of my exercise calories and 30% of my steps calories for a month or so as the adjustment. I want to do a recomp, but need a better sense of numbers first. And need to have the stupid thyroid behaving.

On the bright side, I really go my protein up another 5% to about 30-31% this week!

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    @Psychgrrl if your exercise is of a consistent step based type, I would just calculate a percentage difference between expected and apparent tdee and just take it into account. For example my difference is about 5%. (It is actually almost 6.5% when over 20k steps and a bit less than 3.5% when under 15k steps as far as I can tell; but on average about 5%)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    YAY! I finally got my 10-mile run in. I haven't done that much since my half marathon back in July, so that was *amazing*.

It was slow, and cold, because it was snowing and although our county usually maintains the trail pretty well... today they did not. So I walked more than I would have liked. But I got the mileage done, and that was the important thing, so it's all OK.

Congratulations!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    YAY! I finally got my 10-mile run in. I haven't done that much since my half marathon back in July, so that was *amazing*.

It was slow, and cold, because it was snowing and although our county usually maintains the trail pretty well... today they did not. So I walked more than I would have liked. But I got the mileage done, and that was the important thing, so it's all OK.

Congratulations!

And I'm sorry -- I only saw your comment after I posted. I hope I didn't come across as insensitive. I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it today.
  • mph323
    mph323 wrote: »

Congratulations!

And I'm sorry -- I only saw your comment after I posted. I hope I didn't come across as insensitive. I'm sorry you're having a rough go of it today.

Actually, I found your post extremely inspirational! If you can get out there and run 10 trail miles in the snow, I can certainly get out and walk in what we Californian's call "cold" weather with a little rain. Thanks!
  • mph323
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Hugs @mph323, bad DOMS suck the worst.

Yay for run @collectingblues

And........

Yay for cat doesn't have cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!! Instead he has a bunch of things for which he is completely asymptomatic. Whether the thyroid meds caused it, or uncovered it, is a chicken and egg scenario to which we will never know the answer. So, Triaditis - irritable bowel syndrome (no clinical symptoms, bowel looked perfect according to the surgeon), low grade pancreatitis (pancreas also looks perfect), liver inflammation. Because it is all low grade, we'll be managing it with diet, which will be homemade by moi in accordance with a recipe we'll get from the vet school nutritionist.

He's already up 1/2 a kg from two weeks ago (I know how to overfeed ;) ), and appetite is good other than when we're battling heat.

Two bloody weeks of thinking my cat had lymphoma. Guess I should probably stop eating my feelings now :tongue:

OMG, best news ever!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Hugs @mph323, bad DOMS suck the worst.

Yay for run @collectingblues

And........

Yay for cat doesn't have cancer!!!!!!!!!!!!! Instead he has a bunch of things for which he is completely asymptomatic. Whether the thyroid meds caused it, or uncovered it, is a chicken and egg scenario to which we will never know the answer. So, Triaditis - irritable bowel syndrome (no clinical symptoms, bowel looked perfect according to the surgeon), low grade pancreatitis (pancreas also looks perfect), liver inflammation. Because it is all low grade, we'll be managing it with diet, which will be homemade by moi in accordance with a recipe we'll get from the vet school nutritionist.

He's already up 1/2 a kg from two weeks ago (I know how to overfeed ;) ), and appetite is good other than when we're battling heat.

Two bloody weeks of thinking my cat had lymphoma. Guess I should probably stop eating my feelings now :tongue:

I've been thinking about you a lot lately and hoping for the best. I'm glad this is how it turned out. I know exactly how much of a relief it is for a beloved pet to turn out "less sick". Waiting for a result is the worst, the mind goes to all kinds of places.
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Yay Mario!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Whoop Whoop for no cancer!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Congrats to Mario! I'm not sure if pancreatitis in felines is similar treatment to that in humans, but the usual treatment that I'm aware of is fasting. What that translates to in cat time will vary, of course. As long as he's keeping down food and not manifesting symptoms of pain then I think he'll be well on the way to health :smiley:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    anubis609 wrote: »
    Congrats to Mario! I'm not sure if pancreatitis in felines is similar treatment to that in humans, but the usual treatment that I'm aware of is fasting. What that translates to in cat time will vary, of course. As long as he's keeping down food and not manifesting symptoms of pain then I think he'll be well on the way to health :smiley:

Fasting a cat is a quick ride to hepatic lipidosis. Withholding food is only done for 24 hours in severe cases of vomiting. So for Muz it will just be nutritional support and keeping him eating and hydrated. Even keeping fat low is now thought to be unnecessary for cats.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member

Fasting a cat is a quick ride to hepatic lipidosis. Withholding food is only done for 24 hours in severe cases of vomiting. So for Muz it will just be nutritional support and keeping him eating and hydrated. Even keeping fat low is now thought to be unnecessary for cats.

Ah, gotcha. I've heard the advice to never fast a cat, which I've never done, but I never went further into the reasons why.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

Ah, gotcha. I've heard the advice to never fast a cat, which I've never done, but I never went further into the reasons why.

Yup, this is why a cat not eating at all for more than a day equals vet trip. It can go bad real quick. Even low appetite my cats generally only get a day or two before they're packed into the carrier.