Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    HDBKLM wrote: »
    Today was a little better.

I found a tracker app that I think may be more helpful than MFP. MFP is good for food logging, but it doesn't exactly praise hitting targets -- so I think a separate habit tracker would be helpful for that, and help with the *consistency* problem. Because I know if I could eat at a certain TDEE-deficit target regularly, that would help stop the binge cycles. And should keep things lower overall, since I won't have the binges interfering. The irony, being, that even on binge days, I was really just eating at maintenance.

So I'll still log food here, and still use the forums, but will use the other app for keeping an eye on whether I'm hitting that target, and not slipping in other behaviors.

Also got a 5-mile run in today. I haven't run that far since the stress fracture, and I also did it in my fastest time ever, so it was good to see that that's still there.

Hi @collectingblues just out of curiosity what's this new habit tracker?

I'm using HabitBull. Admittedly, only two days in, but so far, I like it -- it is completely customizeable, and although you only get five habits with the free version, that's good enough for what I need.

That app might actually be a huge help for me - this thread wins again! I just downloaded it and added three month-long goals as a test run. We'll see how not smoking in the morning, brushing my teeth more, and stretching every day works out!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    HDBKLM wrote: »
    Today was a little better.

I found a tracker app that I think may be more helpful than MFP. MFP is good for food logging, but it doesn't exactly praise hitting targets -- so I think a separate habit tracker would be helpful for that, and help with the *consistency* problem. Because I know if I could eat at a certain TDEE-deficit target regularly, that would help stop the binge cycles. And should keep things lower overall, since I won't have the binges interfering. The irony, being, that even on binge days, I was really just eating at maintenance.

So I'll still log food here, and still use the forums, but will use the other app for keeping an eye on whether I'm hitting that target, and not slipping in other behaviors.

Also got a 5-mile run in today. I haven't run that far since the stress fracture, and I also did it in my fastest time ever, so it was good to see that that's still there.

Hi @collectingblues just out of curiosity what's this new habit tracker?

I'm using HabitBull. Admittedly, only two days in, but so far, I like it -- it is completely customizeable, and although you only get five habits with the free version, that's good enough for what I need.

That app might actually be a huge help for me - this thread wins again! I just downloaded it and added three month-long goals as a test run. We'll see how not smoking in the morning, brushing my teeth more, and stretching every day works out!

I've been using HabitBull for a couple of years, and also recommend it! I use it for my bedtime routine right now, and I really find it motivating to keep the streak going.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    I like kale too! I liked a 'messaged' kale and cranberry raw salad, and I also like it cooked with shallots and balsamic vinegar.
    This is my favorite recipe for raw and I just wing it on the cooked: https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/kale-salad-warm-cranberry-vinaigrette-recipe/
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2018
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    :::small voice:::::
    I like kale. I'll eat it for the rest of you.

Kale chips taste fine ;-)

And wasn't I the one a while back, @GottaBurnEmAll, who was arguing that your bod is great looking and you don't *need* to lose any fat :wink: (sadly, without benefits of calipers or special pics, and just on the basis of a tiny avatar viewed on a phone)!

I now return you to regular programming!

I've referred page 164's hyperpalatable food post to at least one MFPeop! Thanks @anubis609 :-)

Thanks. I weigh 5 pounds more now than I do in my profile picture, but I look around the same thanks to recomp. My thighs are slightly thicker than they are in this pic, but not by much. I'd be happier at the weight I was in this picture. If I get there, I get there. If I don't, I don't.

It was a desperate attempt to lose 5 pounds more than my profile picture that started me on the path to crazy town. I've learned a lot more since then about the long haul.

I'll take new pics at some point when we have a sunny day and share them with you on our challenge.

BTW, my calipers put me at 21%, and that's with testing multiple times and multiple points. LOL. No. Tape measure puts me at 23%. Still, LOL. No. I have fat in places those things don't measure. (And not my breasts, those are mostly tissue at this point, I mean my saddle bags.)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Expectedly, I figured there might be some kale lovers. Without adding ingredients, additional flavor, or changing its texture via cooking, could you eat it alone and say you love it? If so, bless you because you're on your own. I can't help you. I'll be at the carving station :lol:

Also, this may be the most appropriate new year post I've read so far. Spread it like a virus. I've also learned a new word for the year: fktrumpet. Never stop learning.

http://physiqonomics.com/new-year-advice/
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I don't understand kale. Of all the delicious vegetables available why would anyone choose it? It's just so, nothing.

I'm still dropping water, given I'm pretty sure i was close to maintenance last week I certainly haven't dropped fat yet this year. My damn body and its weird clingy relationship with water. 6lbs off since new year but it has taken until today to get that far!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I, sir, cook kale the same way every self-respecting Italian cooks any green: I saute it in olive oil and garlic, and since kale is tough, I add a bit of bit of broth pop on a lid and let it braise until it's tender. I then finish it off with red pepper flakes and lemon juice.

That was a great read, btw. Thanks for sharing it. A lot of it was the distillation of what I've learned the hard way over 40 years of trying to deal with my weight. It's good to know I'm on the right track.

Of course you do! Is there any other way!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    I, sir, cook kale the same way every self-respecting Italian cooks any green: I saute it in olive oil and garlic, and since kale is tough, I add a bit of bit of broth pop on a lid and let it braise until it's tender. I then finish it off with red pepper flakes and lemon juice.

That was a great read, btw. Thanks for sharing it. A lot of it was the distillation of what I've learned the hard way over 40 years of trying to deal with my weight. It's good to know I'm on the right track.

Of course you do! Is there any other way!

I don't think I'd know any other way to cook greens, tbh.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    I'm a savoy cabbage scoffer

finely shredded (chiffonade), steamed, tossed in melted butter, seasoned liberally with Himalyan rock salt and ground black pepper

serve as a replacement for things like rice, eats great with one pot stews (curries, chilli, goulash etc)

kale is feed for cattle bleurrgggh
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Can confirm from my pre-vegetarian days: kale with bacon is very good. Bacon is generally good with any bitter vegetable. I used to make pan braised brussels sprouts with bacon and garlic that was to die for.

Hmm, I really don't like brussels sprouts but assuming the kale experiment goes well, I'll give that a try! I'm really trying to expand my somewhat limited vegetable menu.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    Can confirm from my pre-vegetarian days: kale with bacon is very good. Bacon is generally good with any bitter vegetable. I used to make pan braised brussels sprouts with bacon and garlic that was to die for.

Hmm, I really don't like brussels sprouts but assuming the kale experiment goes well, I'll give that a try! I'm really trying to expand my somewhat limited vegetable menu.

Roasted brussels sprouts are delicious -- I've never had them with bacon, but I suspect that bacon would only improve on the deliciousness.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Savoy cabbage yes. Any cabbage really. I had white, shredded, boiled till just, tossed in butter, nom.

And yes, sprouts with bacon are really good. Or if you're fancy like me diced pancetta. But I love brussels sprouts. Have some in the fridge right now!