Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    @Nony_Mouse I hope that whatever is going on with your kitty is easily (if not inexpensively) solved. Big hugs.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    @Nony_Mouse I hope that whatever is going on with your kitty is easily (if not inexpensively) solved. Big hugs.

Thanks @Maxxitt. I will of course be ecstatic if it is a med reaction, given that I've spent the past week thinking my cat may have cancer. But exceedingly pissed that something that should have been considered as a cause, wasn't.

I’d be pretty pissed too - but I’ll hope for that outcome for you anyhow!

This morning I was standing by the sink finishing my coffee when the kitten decided to use me as an aid to jump on top of the cabinets. I was a little surprised, as she can generally get up there on her own, but didn’t think much of it. I thought a lot more of it when she decided to use me as an aid to get *down*, which was much less controlled. My back looks like I was mauled by a tiny panther.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    900+ comments since I last checked in with you all. You guys have been busy! :) Honestly, I probably will never have time to go back and read them, so forgive if I ask a question that has already been asked.

I took a Holiday Diet Break from Dec 22 - Jan 1st. I was scared to weigh in on Jan 2nd, but whew, no gain. I was exactly the same as Dec 22nd. Since then it has taken me until Sunday(1/7) to actually eat at or under my daily allotted deficit. I had no problem on my first diet break getting right back to it.

Has anyone else had a hard time getting back into the deficit? Any pointers?

I took pretty much the same break you did and I actually have had also a bit of trouble getting down to my normal weekday deficit, although my week average is lower than before my break, which is of course what really matters. This was my first break, though, so I can’t offer any tips, just commiseration. I’m impatient to get back to feeling like I’ve got my routine down, but I know I’m retaining not just from the diet break but from upping my workouts right around the same time. Nothing to do but be patient, I suppose!

On a related note, I am really loving the Fitness Blender workouts. I did about a week and a half of their body weight program then put it partially on hold while I spent several days cracking the ice in front of my house. I was about to start back up when I got kind of panicked by the fact that the next couple of workouts were much longer than I’m used to and restarted the program. That lasted exactly a day until I decided it would be far more fun to make my own schedule - spreadsheets away!

Santa hasn’t delivered on the Power Blocks yet, but maybe there will be some on sale in February.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Maxxitt wrote: »

Thanks @Maxxitt. I will of course be ecstatic if it is a med reaction, given that I've spent the past week thinking my cat may have cancer. But exceedingly pissed that something that should have been considered as a cause, wasn't.

I’d be pretty pissed too - but I’ll hope for that outcome for you anyhow!

This morning I was standing by the sink finishing my coffee when the kitten decided to use me as an aid to jump on top of the cabinets. I was a little surprised, as she can generally get up there on her own, but didn’t think much of it. I thought a lot more of it when she decided to use me as an aid to get *down*, which was much less controlled. My back looks like I was mauled by a tiny panther.

We will be changing vets if it does end up being that. Not considering it, when liver damage is right there under adverse reactions in the manufacturer's info pamphlet, and when I kept saying the meds were clearly at least partially responsible for his inappetence, is not something I'm going to let slide. Had I done a quick search on Vidalta and elevated ALT a week ago, like I should have, when I got the initial blood test results I'd have known. But my vet also should have checked that. Kind of what I pay her for.

Sorry about tiny panther @MegaMooseEsq. I have had many, may such injuries. I would tell you they grow out of it, but they don't.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    heybales wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    7jb0v5waf1rz.jpeg

And just because of the sciences... Not so much vascularity, but rather varicosity. :smile:

Look at those gams!

Have you ever had issues with tendon/ligament injuries in ankles feet?
    Any blood flow/cold feet issues?

@heybales Yes, and yes! How did you know that?

I was born with flat feet and had them operated on (tendons shortened?) when I was 5. It made it slightly painful to walk in a relaxed way so I always had to purposefully raise my arch higher. It's better and I can run now I wear orthotics.

I'm self-diagnosed with Reynaud's syndrome, and get multicoloured hands, and used to get chill blains on my feet at school.

Mind you, my Mum has terrible varicose veins, and both my sisters, and they've all had theirs operated on. Maybe I need mine done? Oddly, it's just my one leg.

My dad had and I have great blood flow in legs, which it appears you would have, but then less than normal to the feet.
    Not sure if achilles is average or not, healing from injury seemed rather quick in comparison to what I read for others, so perhaps better there.
    But then again a normal cold weather run better start with warm calves or the achilles will be awful later on. I've been lucky the Nov marathon/half I like to do starts through business park and I can park my car at about 2 miles, and throw excess clothes in then.

Just curious if same for you, nothing indicated it might be the case.
    Never heard of chillblains before, wow. If I had a propensity for it, I'd sure get it a lot.

And to the topic ..... uh ..... I'm sure a refeed week ..... helps ..... I got nothing.

@heybales LOL, I'm in maintenance, so I'm refeeding every meal! :wink:

I've had niggles in my Achilles that are gone the next day. Maybe that's the circulation thing.

Actually, I've been in a very minor deficit for a couple of weeks. Though you did say it was likely my 2 kg gain in 2017 was due to muscle gain from mega running and fitness improvements, my brain is borked and can't deal with being over my goal range, so I'm nearly comfortably under.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Today was a little better.

I found a tracker app that I think may be more helpful than MFP. MFP is good for food logging, but it doesn't exactly praise hitting targets -- so I think a separate habit tracker would be helpful for that, and help with the *consistency* problem. Because I know if I could eat at a certain TDEE-deficit target regularly, that would help stop the binge cycles. And should keep things lower overall, since I won't have the binges interfering. The irony, being, that even on binge days, I was really just eating at maintenance.

So I'll still log food here, and still use the forums, but will use the other app for keeping an eye on whether I'm hitting that target, and not slipping in other behaviors.

Also got a 5-mile run in today. I haven't run that far since the stress fracture, and I also did it in my fastest time ever, so it was good to see that that's still there.

Hi @collectingblues just out of curiosity what's this new habit tracker?
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    900+ comments since I last checked in with you all. You guys have been busy! :) Honestly, I probably will never have time to go back and read them, so forgive if I ask a question that has already been asked.

I took a Holiday Diet Break from Dec 22 - Jan 1st. I was scared to weigh in on Jan 2nd, but whew, no gain. I was exactly the same as Dec 22nd. Since then it has taken me until Sunday(1/7) to actually eat at or under my daily allotted deficit. I had no problem on my first diet break getting right back to it.

I took pretty much the same break you did and I actually have had also a bit of trouble getting down to my normal weekday deficit, although my week average is lower than before my break, which is of course what really matters. This was my first break, though, so I can’t offer any tips, just commiseration. I’m impatient to get back to feeling like I’ve got my routine down, but I know I’m retaining not just from the diet break but from upping my workouts right around the same time. Nothing to do but be patient, I suppose!

On a related note, I am really loving the Fitness Blender workouts. I did about a week and a half of their body weight program then put it partially on hold while I spent several days cracking the ice in front of my house. I was about to start back up when I got kind of panicked by the fact that the next couple of workouts were much longer than I’m used to and restarted the program. That lasted exactly a day until I decided it would be far more fun to make my own schedule - spreadsheets away!

Santa hasn’t delivered on the Power Blocks yet, but maybe there will be some on sale in February.

We will be commiseration buddies!
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    HDBKLM wrote: »
    Today was a little better.

I found a tracker app that I think may be more helpful than MFP. MFP is good for food logging, but it doesn't exactly praise hitting targets -- so I think a separate habit tracker would be helpful for that, and help with the *consistency* problem. Because I know if I could eat at a certain TDEE-deficit target regularly, that would help stop the binge cycles. And should keep things lower overall, since I won't have the binges interfering. The irony, being, that even on binge days, I was really just eating at maintenance.

So I'll still log food here, and still use the forums, but will use the other app for keeping an eye on whether I'm hitting that target, and not slipping in other behaviors.

Also got a 5-mile run in today. I haven't run that far since the stress fracture, and I also did it in my fastest time ever, so it was good to see that that's still there.

Hi @collectingblues just out of curiosity what's this new habit tracker?

I'm using HabitBull. Admittedly, only two days in, but so far, I like it -- it is completely customizeable, and although you only get five habits with the free version, that's good enough for what I need.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member

Me three, as to the holiday diet break. It's been -- and is being -- a real fight to stay within calories, and I don't always succeed. I get seriously hungry around midday some days, and my regular lunches just don't seem to cut it. And I'm craving more carbs -- semi-sweet, peanut-buttery carbs. I know I can get on top of this, and for a change I don't feel as though I'm circling the drain with my weight loss, but I miss my good deficit habits.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    anubis609 wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »

It depends on what you set your deficit to. There are multiple ways to create a deficit and it doesn't need to be a large deficit. Either refer to the revised opening post or you can see my refresher on page 157 or 158 in creating a minimal deficit that allows for weight loss, but enough calories to not feel deprived. The main point is to have an average deficit over the week, so if some maintenance days are thrown in during the week to get there, you're fine.

WOW! I just went back and read it! Obviously I did need to go back and read the 900+ comments.

I get in my mind that I have this plan. "First 10% done before Christmas ... check! Now on to the next 10% by April, and so on until I've lost the weight and then all will be fine." And it's all going to fit into this little box where my body, mind, and determination is going to go exactly as planned, but when I feel my plan slipping away, I start panicking. When I found you all's thread on diet breaks, I was so happy. Something that I can control. I am a self proclaimed control freak.

Perhaps my body just needs to be at a minimal deficit for a spell before getting into a hard deficit right away. I like what that guy said about unless you are planning on dying right away, you got your whole life.

Yep, that would be me who said that. It falls in line with Aadam's email that crash diets can work, however, if you're trying to learn long-term sustainability, then fast results don't do 3/5ths of jack for training someone to manage their habits in the long run.

In context, the initial phase of fat loss is actually quite fast. The more body fat you carry, the more can be lost at first. It's when you get to leaner levels of body fat when it starts to slow down, which is the deciding factor for many to either continue the process or stop, and in the worst case scenario believe that they have successfully achieved a goal and end up undoing all of their hard work.

That last part is what we want to avoid. So while fat loss doesn't have to be agonizingly slow, it is going to be longer than you want it to be. And in that longer time, you want to be able to take it as a learning process. It took years to learn how to exceed an ideal body fat, and it will take years to reverse the process...and the rest of your life to maintain that reversal.

Everyone has control over their choices. Just know what you are and aren't able to control. It's exceedingly difficult to manipulate life to your will.. and I use that term loosely because it's impossible. Therefore, it's better to focus on manipulating choices that benefit you. You don't need to be militant; just be mindful.

I think (maybe) a big difference in my two diet breaks was that during my first one, I ate pretty much the same food that I was eating during my deficit, just more of it. Probably 85% health conscious choices. During my Christmas diet break, I ate whatever I saw, which was alot of cakes, pies, candy, cookies, tamales, enchiladas, bread, eggnog, ponche, white russians, and such. I kept within maintenance, for the most part, but the types of food were definitely different than what I allow myself during deficit. I just don't have enough calories to eat those kinds of foods in quantity and get the nutrition that I need in my deficit calories. I have alot to learn about sustainability, but I am working on it. Could those rich foods be what is calling to me now? Could a block in weight loss have more to do with emotional attachments than sheer will-power or body requirements?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Awesome as always @anubis609, especially the fk kale!!

Getting ready to get ready for mine and Muzzie's road trip. Need to have some breakfast, then pack bags for me and him. Lunch, snacks and 'active wear' for me (will wander along the river trail to fill in time while Muz is at the hospital), blankie that I have been sleeping on for Muz to have with him, and fuds I know he will eat in case he wants them after he wakes up/before I collect him or if he needs to stay in. Hoping he won't need to stay, but it will depend on today's tests and what else they need to do to assess liver damage or confirm lymphoma (my money is still on liver damage).

Many thanks! And I wish him well! The lesser of two evils would be medication induced liver damage, and while it sucks, it's a helluva whole lot better than lymphoma. Keep us updated. Here's an unholy union that was created by a fake AI program for his travels :D

idl6orrgjddw.png
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Yup, it's still not great, but I actually think he's on the road to recovery on his own (with diligent food pushing by me), though still may need some extra help. At least liver damage, if treated early, is fully reversible, what with the liver essentially being a Time Lord (regenerative powers ;) ). In terms of vet screw ups on diagnosis, if it is that (though technically the possible diagnosis of hepatitis is correct, she just didn't connect it to the medication), this is not the worst I've had. One of my cats, a vet completely missed that he had heart disease, despite me taking him back and telling them he was showing signs of respiratory distress (I changed vets immediately).