Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I finally got around to taking new progress pics today... is anyone still willing to take a look and give me a body fat % estimate? Caliper test put me at 21% this morning but that just can't be right.

I can take a stab at it if you want. @Nony_Mouse can confirm my blatantly objective assessment lol. Full disclosure, I'm not an expert by any means, but I will do my best to be as accurate as possible.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    anubis609 wrote: »
    I finally got around to taking new progress pics today... is anyone still willing to take a look and give me a body fat % estimate? Caliper test put me at 21% this morning but that just can't be right.

I can take a stab at it if you want. @Nony_Mouse can confirm my blatantly objective assessment lol. Full disclosure, I'm not an expert by any means, but I will do my best to be as accurate as possible.

Can confirm. @anubis609 will actually tell a woman if she looks fat in that :D

FWIW, he and Vintage both said the same for me, mmapags was slightly lower.
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member

Thank you! I'll send them tonight!
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

haha that's okay, I need some honesty.
  • Nony_Mouse

haha that's okay, I need some honesty.

Well exactly! That's the whole point of the exercise :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Thanks, lovely people. I disconnected the Fitbit before I gave it to my niece. It seems to know what my current weight is, too, so I'm guessing it's somehow still getting stuff from MFP (Big Bro.)
  • Orphia
    edited January 2018
    7jb0v5waf1rz.jpeg

And just because of the sciences... Not so much vascularity, but rather varicosity. :smile:
  • Orphia
    If not in a deficit, you can get away with 0.7-0.8g/lb/lbm if carbs are high enough as @VintageFeline mentioned. The underlying reason being that the hierarchy of substrate oxidation is always in place: alcohol > carbs > protein > fat (protein/amino acids actually always get broken down before carbs, but a sufficient intake of protein prevents catabolism or at least slows it down), so following that rule, if there are enough carbs, it displaces the priority on oxidizing protein (and if absolutely high will shut off lipolysis), therefore not as much protein (contextually significant) needs to be taken in on a higher carb diet.

That's a relief. I'm on around 55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein which works out at around 100 grams protein a day. I'm 143 lbs, possibly 22% body fat, so I think I'm good.

Around here, it's like people think you're going to die if you don't get way more than that. Your post is refreshing to see.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    If not in a deficit, you can get away with 0.7-0.8g/lb/lbm if carbs are high enough as @VintageFeline mentioned. The underlying reason being that the hierarchy of substrate oxidation is always in place: alcohol > carbs > protein > fat (protein/amino acids actually always get broken down before carbs, but a sufficient intake of protein prevents catabolism or at least slows it down), so following that rule, if there are enough carbs, it displaces the priority on oxidizing protein (and if absolutely high will shut off lipolysis), therefore not as much protein (contextually significant) needs to be taken in on a higher carb diet.

That's a relief. I'm on around 55% carbs, 30% fat, 15% protein which works out at around 100 grams protein a day. I'm 143 lbs, possibly 22% body fat, so I think I'm good.

Around here, it's like people think you're going to die if you don't get way more than that. Your post is refreshing to see.

I think the figures quoted here are always deficit figures because most people are indeed eating at a deficit. It's a much rarer question to be asked about maintenance needs.
  • VintageFeline

Yes, I was rather pleased with myself that I thought the same as our almighty leader!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Oh hai, just checking in and bumping us back to page 1 :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    mph323 wrote: »
    Oh hai, just checking in and bumping us back to page 1 :)

A very important task! Cos, y'know, we should be encouraging new members to build diet breaks into their plan from the outset...
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    edited January 2018
    I'm back from holidays. My home town welcomed me back yesterday with a sweltering 41°C (106°F). I know many of you in the northern hemisphere are shivering instead, and I hope you are keeping warm and toasty and looking after yourselves up there.

So I didn't weigh myself or my food for over two weeks while I was away. I was surprised to find that I didn't miss weighing at all (myself or my food). I was pleased that I kept to my plan of logging even though I ate out a lot more than usual and there was a fair bit of guessing.

I estimated that I was eating around maintenance or possibly a bit over - so a diet break of sorts - but I weighed myself this morning and I've actually lost half a kilo over my holiday. I'm thinking that increased incidental exercise may have helped, like I had a short walk to the local shops for a few groceries most days, and I went swimming in the sea...stuff like that which I didn't log. Plus I was more relaxed, so I might have had a bit of a whoosh because of that I suppose.

Anyway, the thing that I'm most happy with is that a lot of the habits I've worked on stayed with me on holidays. I was a lot more conscious of my choices. I still had things like beer- battered fish and chips but I would make adjustments in other meals and drinks.

I tried to keep up with this thread while I was away, but I would keep falling behind lol! I've caught up properly now.

I know my condolences are late, but just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss of Shadow @nexangelus. It must have been heartbreaking for you.

And I'm sending healing thoughts for Mario, @Nony_Mouse. I hope your fierce little hunter is OK.

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    On the topic of body fat estimates: How difficult is it to estimate an individual's body fat levels if they were morbidly obese and lost a lot of weight and have excess skin? I had thought about getting a set of calipers just to check, but I'm thinking that all those extra folds I have are going to be a problem with that.
  • VintageFeline
    On the topic of body fat estimates: How difficult is it to estimate an individual's body fat levels if they were morbidly obese and lost a lot of weight and have excess skin? I had thought about getting a set of calipers just to check, but I'm thinking that all those extra folds I have are going to be a problem with that.

Yep you'll have issues with calipers if there's a lot of loose skin. I have a feeling most methods will be tricky and the best may well be an eyeball but even then there are limitations depending on location and severity of the loose skin. Someone else may be able to help better though, I'm just your amateur armchair estimator.
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    I'm having one hell of a whoosh - down 6 pounds since Wednesday! *eyes the scale dubiously* Will be getting back to normal exercise routine post cold tomorrow so hopefully that will stabilise things / push it back up. I suspect I'm still dehydrated from tummy bug.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I'm having one hell of a whoosh - down 6 pounds since Wednesday! *eyes the scale dubiously* Will be getting back to normal exercise routine post cold tomorrow so hopefully that will stabilise things / push it back up. I suspect I'm still dehydrated from tummy bug.

The flu is rampant here in SoCal and many people outside the High-risk group (children, elderly, those with compromised immune systems) have been hospitalized, according to the news outlets. 27 are dead state-wide from the flu, compared to 3 at the same time last year. :disappointed:

Hope you’re back to to normal soon!

Sending healing kitty thoughts down under.