Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Mine live under a cat bed in the lounge!
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    What a beautiful cat! I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing pets is the worst :(

First day back on deficit since the 22nd, when I broke my diet with a very yummy burger and chips and still made it in on maintenance! I've been crunching the numbers, since I was pretty good about logging each day, even if the 9 course Michelin star tasting menu came in at lol 4000 (300 calories a plate plus booze) :D. I was decently over parental Christmas visit day, Christmas Day, Boxing Day (aforementioned meal), the 28th and 31st, but lots of walking at least mitigated this before the flu kicked in.

Summing up at the end of diet break I ate approx 9255 calories over 1900 TDEE in total, or 6304 if you take fitbit and other logged exercise into account - this should be 2.64 lbs or 1.8 lbs fat gain so this looks mostly on track - I logged 1 lb more than my start point on the 22nd today (I was 4 lb more the day I left for holiday on the 26th). That seems surprisingly close given I had a stinking aeroplane flu / cold thing for most of the holiday in Madeira which might have burned more calories (any nerdy resources for how much being ill consumes out there?), also I guess hydration has been an issue due to an accompanying tummy upset (although I've drank lots of water to counteract that), and of course there's the dehydration of the flight home but pretty pleased so far. I've ordered an Aria to celebrate since Sainsbury's had them in their sale (stuff turning up with the shop, yes please I'll take that :D).

Logging was great for helping me eat more mindfully on holiday too, even as my husband was attempting to eat his bodyweight in custard tarts and honey cake. I am also fairly sure I am feeling less cold. I could go for longer since I have a lot of weight to lose but next time I think I will do 8 weeks and then break - pushing things out to the 10 weeks to pre Christmas just made me cold and cranky.

I thanked past me for saving some of the jugged hare for dinner last night, made a fine flop in from flight meal. I've been snacking on leftover goose and goose jus today frozen for my return (also makes a fine convalescent food :D). I'll think about veggies tomorrow / when I find my appetite!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    It's 29 goddam degrees C. This is not helpful with a long-haired cat who already doesn't want to eat.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Thanks for all the well wishes folks. I think life stomps on and it is the first time I have actually seen a pet go. I am feeling a bit better this evening, but appetite is not great, so forcing those cals down the hatch to keep strength up.

I need to catch up on the rest of the thread that I missed out on before Christmas.

Will be back with replies. Sorry for barging in with the melancholy so soon after New Year.

My bulk is going okay, am up to 173lbs this morning. A bit heavier than I intended but cortisol and lack of appetite and cramming the foods in...bound to make one puffy...not worried in the slightest, just have a bit more water weight to lose come Jan. end.

Pics of baby bear Shadow:

351u4n7.jpg

11hqedz.jpg

Don't apologise!

I have a panther too, beautiful mog.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Thanks for all the well wishes folks. I think life stomps on and it is the first time I have actually seen a pet go. I am feeling a bit better this evening, but appetite is not great, so forcing those cals down the hatch to keep strength up.

I need to catch up on the rest of the thread that I missed out on before Christmas.

Will be back with replies. Sorry for barging in with the melancholy so soon after New Year.

My bulk is going okay, am up to 173lbs this morning. A bit heavier than I intended but cortisol and lack of appetite and cramming the foods in...bound to make one puffy...not worried in the slightest, just have a bit more water weight to lose come Jan. end.

351u4n7.jpg

11hqedz.jpg

Such a beautiful cat!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Shadow was indeed a beauty.
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    I finally got around to taking new progress pics today... is anyone still willing to take a look and give me a body fat % estimate? Caliper test put me at 21% this morning but that just can't be right.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2018

351u4n7.jpg

11hqedz.jpg

Whew, finally caught back up! First, I’m so sorry about your cat, @nexangelus. I lost one of mine to a car back in September and even though the universe saw fit to toss an adorable kitten my way not long after, I still miss my boy. I’ve lost three now as an adult and it never gets easier.

I’m afraid that my diet break included quite a bit more drinking than strictly healthy, but between finishing the first week and a half of a Fitness Blender program and some ongoing physical activity doing work around the house, I’m only up a couple of pounds and I’m feeling tentatively good going back to a deficit. I took this week off of work in addition to the standard holidays, which might not have been entirely financially prudent but I really needed the break. Plus, it gave me the motivation to finally address the inch of ice that had built up on the sidewalk since the landlords didn’t bother to shovel the last couple of snow falls. I’m sure my neighbors think I’m a moron cracking ice when the outside temp is below 0F (lowest was around -15 last weekend) but it needed to get done.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,725 Member
    @nexangelus - My condolences regarding Shadow. Never easy losing a pet.

Been on a diet break for fifteen days. Ending it tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who provided advice and insights into this process.

Started at 203.5 - spiked up to 216 - settled in at 214 +/- 2. Calorie target was 2050. Got at least 100 grams of carbs most days. Was nice to eat more carbs for a few days.

Should I reset to my former calorie target (1550) ? Or a little higher? Any other tips for restarting a weight loss strategy?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Just popped by to let you know I am grieving my furbaby cat Shadow. I said goodbye to him last night, he was badly injured (crushing injury by car or something - back legs, back end and tail rendered useless, broken ribs, fluid on lungs) and decided it best to put an end to his pain. I will miss him so much. He was so brave! Will post pics later, cannot do it on my phone. My heart feels broken,,,

:heartbreak: I’m so truly sorry. :disappointed:
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited January 2018
    @nexangelus - My condolences regarding Shadow. Never easy losing a pet.

Been on a diet break for fifteen days. Ending it tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who provided advice and insights into this process.

Started at 203.5 - spiked up to 216 - settled in at 214 +/- 2. Calorie target was 2050. Got at least 100 grams of carbs most days. Was nice to eat more carbs for a few days.

Should I reset to my former calorie target (1550) ? Or a little higher? Any other tips for restarting a weight loss strategy?

How much weight do you still have to lose? If enough to support a 500 cal deficit, then it's fine to go back to that. Equally, if you think you'd feel better on a bit more, that's fine too. Dropping straight back to 500 can feel like a bit of a shock to the system, so you could always ease back down over several days, dropping another 100 cals each day until you're there. I think I went straight back, but my deficit was variable depending on how much exercise I'd done each day, with a minimum deficit of 350 (on days where I basically didn't move).

You could also go by the deficit of 15-20% of TDEE thing. So 20% would be around a 400 cal deficit for you.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    I wish I had more lovely places to walk right outside my door but I'm pretty limited. Even my large local park with taking creative routes is lucky to get me 10k.

I do laps around my apartment complex. It's 1000 steps around for me. I don't have a TV, so my "rule" is I'm only allowed to watch new stuff if I'm walking. (Just finished watching "Psych: The Movie." My neighbors think I'm quite amusing, especially when watching "The Walking Dead." On more than one occasion I've yelled and turned away from the phone and asked someone nearby if they'll tell me what happened. ("WHO DIED??!?!) So far, they've not called the people in the white coats to haul me off. :wink:

90% of the battle is getting my anxious *kitten* out the door in the first place to be honest. I have to walk past loads of shops and homes and people regardless when I leave my flat. Sometimes I can do it, others, not today. I find it harder to get out somewhere people might recognise me than not. Such a weirdo.

And i don't really watch telly either, actually have nothing hooked up to Sky/cable/normal TV. Older TV in the lounge only has a DVD player (would like to upgrade to a smart) and smart TV in the bedroom which I actually don't put on much either. I honestly don't know where my days go!

I get my TV from iTunes and amazon Prime. When I had cable, I was a total couch potato. I love crime dramas and there’s always a CSI or a Law and Order on. So, I ditched it and now have my new “rule.”
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Hello! We dropped to page 2 again so I just thought i'd casually drop by to first of all inform you of more whoosh of some Christmas water and that I got my Christmas presents from the BFF today.............

I'M GOING TO SEE HAMILTON. I can't contain myself. I literally squealed and bounced about when I opened it (it was the soundtrack with a note). 3 weeks and counting. SO EXCITED.

AH! YAY!

You're going to *love* it. It was AMAZING.

• Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Awesome! :D
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    So my new low of 123.5 popped back up to 125.0 today lol. Still happy because I went off the rails a little more than intended but it seems my activity and eating kind of evened out over the month. And 125 is still on the low side of my normal range.

@Psychgrrl Cable tv is my enabler too! I know people who complain that they have 200 channels and there's never anything on and I'm like, how picky are you? I could do nothing but watch for days, I'm so lazy. But I could do just as much damage with Netflix, so it's my Fitbit that saves me. It buzzes if I don't get 250 steps by 10 to the hour, thank goodness.

It has been ridiculously cold here and I haven't been able to chase the chill out of my bones for weeks. I wonder if that increased my metabolism a little and helped nudge the scale number :blush:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Yay for Hamilton!

Boo for cold. I'm with you, kimny. I cannot get warm to save my life. I am drinking so much tea and getting ridiculous step counts because I am desperately trying to keep warm. And it will be even colder this weekend. I can't bear to think about it. I know I'm in a warm house, but it still seeps in.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Please take my heat.

Actually, Mother Nature is set to do that herself, for a couple of days at least. Started raining around dinner time yesterday, temp dropped a little but not much, so warm and sticky. We'll get to mid 20s C by lunch, then the southerly hits, bringing heavy rain by late afternoon. Fourteen ml of rain yesterday (compared to December's total fall of 15 ml, most of it on Xmas and Boxing Day), with a projected 35 today. Will be windy as hell by tomorrow, and much cooler, wind is crap for my hay fever, but the cooler weather is much better for my inappetent cat. I can just knock back antihistamines every few hours.

Yay, Hamilton!!!!!