Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

How on earth do you ladies get that many steps in.... No wonder I don't get to eat much, I'm obviously just super lazy!

And I'm chasing @GottaBurnEmAll for a Fitbit challenge. Mine is a little harder because I'm housebound in the mornings with pollen, and not very good at making myself wander around other than when my Fitbit tells me to do my 250 steps for the hour. I should just make myself wander for that whole 10 minutes.

I've been doing afternoon walks along the beach for a couple of hours, and then an evening walk around the neighbourhood (river bank track has proven to be too polleny, even in the evening), but it's super sunny today, so I think even with my zinc sunscreen I would be pushing it to walk along the beach this afternoon. I may do that after an early dinner though, because walking in the water is awesome for keeping cool, and my feet are a tad eczema-y to be wanting to put shoes and socks on for a neighbourhood walk.

The 2700-2800 TDEEs from all the walking do make going back to a deficit easier though!

@Nony_Mouse have you seen the "Walking to Mordor" app thread? I thought of you when I saw it because of all the Middle Earth references. There's a simple app where you log your miles from your fitness tracker and it tells you your progress on Frodo's journey to destroy the Ring. Apparently, the journey was almost 2000 miles. (Not sure what that is in Elvish. :wink: ) I started it yesterday to see how long it takes me to get to Sauron. :smiley:
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I wish I had more lovely places to walk right outside my door but I'm pretty limited. Even my large local park with taking creative routes is lucky to get me 10k.

I do laps around my apartment complex. It's 1000 steps around for me. I don't have a TV, so my "rule" is I'm only allowed to watch new stuff if I'm walking. (Just finished watching "Psych: The Movie." My neighbors think I'm quite amusing, especially when watching "The Walking Dead." On more than one occasion I've yelled and turned away from the phone and asked someone nearby if they'll tell me what happened. ("WHO DIED??!?!) So far, they've not called the people in the white coats to haul me off. :wink:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Isn't a dermatologist supposed to be able to run a skin test panel or something and already know which items you're likely to react to? Have you already done that? I realize your doctor trusts you; but, are you sort of relieving her of the responsibility of trying to figure out what ails you?

I’m not sure if skin patch tests there are any better than here, but here they take weeks at a time and completely disrupt your life and are often inconclusive. It’s a real bummer to have sensitive skin and no real way to know what causes most issues. My derms, I’ve seen 4, have always focused on treating symptoms and some product/chemical eliminations. But those are truly difficult to manage as I can’t live in a bubble and know everything with which I come into contact. Especially outside the home.

Fun fact: oddly enough, I do not react to poison ivy.

Yup, skin patch will only show if you have an allergy, not an intolerance, and then not always. Most of my known eczema triggers seem to be intolerances.

Skin prick tests for pollen will hopefully be better at identifying those though. I like being able to go outside...

Currently cooking chicken for my cat. About to chuck it in the blender. Hopefully he will eat it :\

My vets always recommended white rice flavored with baby food for sick kitties. Vets called it a "bland diet." Kitties always loved it. Especially the beef flavored baby food.

We actually don't have plain baby food in NZ. I should cook some rice to go in the chicken though, that's how I've always done it before. At the moment, he'll have a few bites of something, then walk away. Then have a few bites of something else. The heat really isn't helping matters. Going to the supermarket again after the vet calls with the first lot of results to get tuna and sardines. These are also go to foods for inappetent cats.

How on earth do you ladies get that many steps in.... No wonder I don't get to eat much, I'm obviously just super lazy!

And I'm chasing @GottaBurnEmAll for a Fitbit challenge. Mine is a little harder because I'm housebound in the mornings with pollen, and not very good at making myself wander around other than when my Fitbit tells me to do my 250 steps for the hour. I should just make myself wander for that whole 10 minutes.

I've been doing afternoon walks along the beach for a couple of hours, and then an evening walk around the neighbourhood (river bank track has proven to be too polleny, even in the evening), but it's super sunny today, so I think even with my zinc sunscreen I would be pushing it to walk along the beach this afternoon. I may do that after an early dinner though, because walking in the water is awesome for keeping cool, and my feet are a tad eczema-y to be wanting to put shoes and socks on for a neighbourhood walk.

The 2700-2800 TDEEs from all the walking do make going back to a deficit easier though!

@Nony_Mouse have you seen the "Walking to Mordor" app thread? I thought of you when I saw it because of all the Middle Earth references. There's a simple app where you log your miles from your fitness tracker and it tells you your progress on Frodo's journey to destroy the Ring. Apparently, the journey was almost 2000 miles. (Not sure what that is in Elvish. :wink: ) I started it yesterday to see how long it takes me to get to Sauron. :smiley:

I have seen the thread! I actually commented to the OP how long it would take to do if you were doing it as film locations. They're spread all over the country, and not in any order, so there's a lot of back and forth. For example, Hobbiton is in the Waikato, the forest where the hobbits hide from the Black Rider was visible from my bedroom at my last place in the city (spoiler, it's pretty much in the middle of Wellington City).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Nexangelus, I am so sorry. It's terribly hard to lose a beloved furbaby. Big hugs.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    I must have been one of the only ones following here to have lost weight over the holiday season. I don't celebrate them though, so that could be why, sorrynot sorry.

Sardines and tuna have never failed us yet in regard to increasing our little kitkat's appetite and he is now 20 years old! Best wishes Nony on 'the cure'.

Sorry for your loss Nexangelus.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I wish I had more lovely places to walk right outside my door but I'm pretty limited. Even my large local park with taking creative routes is lucky to get me 10k.

I do laps around my apartment complex. It's 1000 steps around for me. I don't have a TV, so my "rule" is I'm only allowed to watch new stuff if I'm walking. (Just finished watching "Psych: The Movie." My neighbors think I'm quite amusing, especially when watching "The Walking Dead." On more than one occasion I've yelled and turned away from the phone and asked someone nearby if they'll tell me what happened. ("WHO DIED??!?!) So far, they've not called the people in the white coats to haul me off. :wink:

90% of the battle is getting my anxious *kitten* out the door in the first place to be honest. I have to walk past loads of shops and homes and people regardless when I leave my flat. Sometimes I can do it, others, not today. I find it harder to get out somewhere people might recognise me than not. Such a weirdo.

And i don't really watch telly either, actually have nothing hooked up to Sky/cable/normal TV. Older TV in the lounge only has a DVD player (would like to upgrade to a smart) and smart TV in the bedroom which I actually don't put on much either. I honestly don't know where my days go!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I'm very sorry nexangelus, such a sad start to the new year.
  • Nony_Mouse
    I'm so sorry @nexangelus :'(. It is never, ever easy saying goodbye. Big hugs and much love your way.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Still stalking the cat to get him to eat. It's actually not unusual for hime to just have a bit of a nibble first thing, then go off hunting and come back for a proper meal a bit later. The thyroid meds are probably not quite out of his system yet either. Hoping I will still see the dramatic uptick in appetite that he had last week when I backed off on those for a few days. Between that and appetite stimulants I will hopefully be able to get enough food into him to at least halt the weight loss, if not reverse it. He's had a little bit of sardine, a little bit of tuna, and a mouthful of chicken and rice so far this morning. Not enough to constitute a normal meal, but something at least. I need to get his anti-nausea pill into him, but he presumably out in the reserve strip watching bunnies atm.
  • VintageFeline
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Just popped by to let you know I am grieving my furbaby cat Shadow. I said goodbye to him last night, he was badly injured (crushing injury by car or something - back legs, back end and tail rendered useless, broken ribs, fluid on lungs) and decided it best to put an end to his pain. I will miss him so much. He was so brave! Will post pics later, cannot do it on my phone. My heart feels broken,,,

So sorry. It's so hard when they go, I still have really grief stricken moments a year after losing Dave.
  • Nony_Mouse
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Just popped by to let you know I am grieving my furbaby cat Shadow. I said goodbye to him last night, he was badly injured (crushing injury by car or something - back legs, back end and tail rendered useless, broken ribs, fluid on lungs) and decided it best to put an end to his pain. I will miss him so much. He was so brave! Will post pics later, cannot do it on my phone. My heart feels broken,,,

So sorry. It's so hard when they go, I still have really grief stricken moments a year after losing Dave.

I went through the whole list yesterday, other than the two I lost without warning, thinking of how much time I had between diagnosis and saying goodbye. So yeah...Obviously don't want to get ahead of myself before I have a diagnosis, but also drawing some lines in the sand for worst case scenario isn't a bad idea. I talked with the vet about that a bit last night when she rang with initial results, so she knows I'm not going to put him through unnecessary (and ultimately pointless) heroics, but also that whether it's treatment or palliative care, it will be gold standard.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited January 2018
    @violinqueen21 You can watch and read all the articles and videos linked in the first several pages in this thread where everything is explained.
  • Nony_Mouse
    kimny72 wrote: »
    My spidey senses are on point today :).

On topic, I have been eating around maintenance calories for about 3 weeks now, and guess-logged Christmas Eve, Christmas, the day after Christmas, NYE, and NY Day. And this morning I hit my lowest weight in probably my adult life, 3 lbs down from the beginning of December. Now it has been very cold and dry here and I have been struggling to stay hydrated as evidenced by my ashy skin and chapped lips, so it could def be water weight, but it's been cold and dry before and I can't remember ever seeing this number (123.5 lbs!). I am ready to get on the scale tomorrow morning and see 126 back again, but for one shining day, my world is full of possibility lol.

I got power block weights from Santa, so I'm no longer limited by my puny collection of free weights! I want all the muscles :blush:

Edited to erase my dirty footprints

For your dry skin, pat dry after showering, moisturise immediately to lock that damp in. Twice (or more!) a day if necessary.

Yay for new low!! Any dehydration is not going to account for 2.5 lbs ;)
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member

On topic, I have been eating around maintenance calories for about 3 weeks now, and guess-logged Christmas Eve, Christmas, the day after Christmas, NYE, and NY Day. And this morning I hit my lowest weight in probably my adult life, 3 lbs down from the beginning of December. Now it has been very cold and dry here and I have been struggling to stay hydrated as evidenced by my ashy skin and chapped lips, so it could def be water weight, but it's been cold and dry before and I can't remember ever seeing this number (123.5 lbs!). I am ready to get on the scale tomorrow morning and see 126 back again, but for one shining day, my world is full of possibility lol.

I got power block weights from Santa, so I'm no longer limited by my puny collection of free weights! I want all the muscles :blush:

For your dry skin, pat dry after showering, moisturise immediately to lock that damp in. Twice (or more!) a day if necessary.

Yay for new low!! Any dehydration is not going to account for 2.5 lbs ;)

Nice to see the end of the roller coaster ride when you come around that last corner! Here's to a less stressful 2018 :drinker:
  • VintageFeline

I love my Powerblocks. They're an older model so I can add in the add on sets to up them so will have my eye on a whole new set eventually. I could probably do some things, when training as regularly as I should, beyond the heaviest but I'm fine with pretending I don't need heavier for now!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Yep, I asked around and read a lot of reviews and they were the winners in my mind for adjustables. I don't have a dedicated workout room, so my collection of multicolored dumbbells was becoming difficult to corral!