Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Anubis, that looks absolutely decadent.

Plugging along here running a very small deficit, still not hitting the scale yet. Just not ready for it mentally quite yet.

I've been ridiculously cold and making a lot of tea, which means I've been getting a lot of steps in (I walk while the tea is steeping, and I steep it for a long time), and I've been hungry. So keeping my deficit small has helped mitigate this. I had something ridiculous like 28K today mostly from incidental walking, some from purposeful walking listening to a podcast.

Still at it with body weight stuff too.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Isn't a dermatologist supposed to be able to run a skin test panel or something and already know which items you're likely to react to? Have you already done that? I realize your doctor trusts you; but, are you sort of relieving her of the responsibility of trying to figure out what ails you?

I’m not sure if skin patch tests there are any better than here, but here they take weeks at a time and completely disrupt your life and are often inconclusive. It’s a real bummer to have sensitive skin and no real way to know what causes most issues. My derms, I’ve seen 4, have always focused on treating symptoms and some product/chemical eliminations. But those are truly difficult to manage as I can’t live in a bubble and know everything with which I come into contact. Especially outside the home.

Fun fact: oddly enough, I do not react to poison ivy.

Yup, skin patch will only show if you have an allergy, not an intolerance, and then not always. Most of my known eczema triggers seem to be intolerances.

Skin prick tests for pollen will hopefully be better at identifying those though. I like being able to go outside...

Currently cooking chicken for my cat. About to chuck it in the blender. Hopefully he will eat it :\

Mackerel in tom sauce slightly warmed in the micro or same for tuna, helped Dave when he struggled with appetite. I'd also break up Dreamies on it. This was when I was encouraging him off tube feeds.

I almost got tuna, it's definitely on the cards if he won't eat at all. We're hoping that chicken is bland enough that he will eat it. He asks for food, then mostly just sniffs and walks away. He has nibbled at stuff today, but not quite with the gusto I was hoping for after giving his appetite stimulant and anti-nausea meds. I think he is now lighter than, or as light as, his sister, who is not nearly as long or tall as him :(
  • Nony_Mouse

Plugging along here running a very small deficit, still not hitting the scale yet. Just not ready for it mentally quite yet.

I've been ridiculously cold and making a lot of tea, which means I've been getting a lot of steps in (I walk while the tea is steeping, and I steep it for a long time), and I've been hungry. So keeping my deficit small has helped mitigate this. I had something ridiculous like 28K today mostly from incidental walking, some from purposeful walking listening to a podcast.

Yeah, I'm not even going to try to catch up with you today! I may have an early dinner and go for a stroll along the beach this evening when it's not 5 billion degrees out.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited January 2018

Yeah, I'm not even going to try to catch up with you today! I may have an early dinner and go for a stroll along the beach this evening when it's not 5 billion degrees out.

I'm done for the day! Going to bed in 20 minutes or so. I'll have my electric blanket to keep my joints warm.
  • Nony_Mouse

I'm done for the day! Going to bed in 20 minutes or so. I'll have my electric blanket to keep my joints warm.

Still no way I am doing 28k today! Ten km walks on the beach in bare feet leads to tender soles. And I'm so swollen that when I took off my shoes after my evening walk last night, they were red from the pressure, and that was with my older, more stretched trainers on. I could try an even older pair that are a half size bigger...
  • GottaBurnEmAll

Still no way I am doing 28k today! Ten km walks on the beach in bare feet leads to tender soles. And I'm so swollen that when I took off my shoes after my evening walk last night, they were red from the pressure, and that was with my older, more stretched trainers on. I could try an even older pair that are a half size bigger...

Sorry for your sore tootsies! And I'm not all that ahead of you, am I? I never check.
  • Nony_Mouse

Sorry for your sore tootsies! And I'm not all that ahead of you, am I? I never check.

Yep, 27k I think. I was only just ahead of you when I went to bed last night.
  • Nony_Mouse
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member

How on earth do you ladies get that many steps in.... No wonder I don't get to eat much, I'm obviously just super lazy!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    edited January 2018

How on earth do you ladies get that many steps in.... No wonder I don't get to eat much, I'm obviously just super lazy!

I have a treadmill and I make a LOT of tea. I also listened to a long podcast this morning while I took a walk on it.

When I say tea, I mean tisanes, and they're weak, but I like them strong. So I let them steep for 15 minutes. By the time the kettle boils, and then the tea steeps, that's a nice little walk. Do that enough during the day, it adds up.
  • Nony_Mouse

And I'm chasing @GottaBurnEmAll for a Fitbit challenge. Mine is a little harder because I'm housebound in the mornings with pollen, and not very good at making myself wander around other than when my Fitbit tells me to do my 250 steps for the hour. I should just make myself wander for that whole 10 minutes.

I've been doing afternoon walks along the beach for a couple of hours, and then an evening walk around the neighbourhood (river bank track has proven to be too polleny, even in the evening), but it's super sunny today, so I think even with my zinc sunscreen I would be pushing it to walk along the beach this afternoon. I may do that after an early dinner though, because walking in the water is awesome for keeping cool, and my feet are a tad eczema-y to be wanting to put shoes and socks on for a neighbourhood walk.

The 2700-2800 TDEEs from all the walking do make going back to a deficit easier though!
  • Nony_Mouse
    anubis609 wrote: »

I get like .. <5k steps per day.. lol

That's why I can eat as much as you ;)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    anubis609 wrote: »

I get like .. <5k steps per day.. lol

Me too. My steps are undercounted though. I live in a flat in London, with stuff. Reasonably neat and tidy stuff but small areas to walk means I'm hardly swinging my arms for steps to be captured. Also lazy. Would like to not be lazy so I might at least pace the 5 or 6 steps from hall to kitchen. Maybe this is the year I finally make it a habit.

I do also have a mini stepper but I go through phases of using that. My calories are pretty sad. In the nicer warmer weather I like to get out for walks but I've been rained off longer harder hikes because of my bloody dysplasia.
  • VintageFeline
    And actually it occurs to me, when I go to Disney and do full park days I hit 30k steps. 24k just in normal day to day life without an active job is quite something.
  • Nony_Mouse
    I go in fits and starts with the high step counts. I'd like to get back to consistently averaging 15k a day. When I can walk to work that's a lot more doable. Alas, even with sunblock, I still have to deal with morning pollen until the grass quits flowering. As you've all seen from photos, my walk to and from work is fairly rural!

My right ankle is a bit niggly atm, so I'm thinking I should be sensible and not do too much today, so probably no two hour beach walk in the evening sun. I might pop on my sandals and go for a wee stroll along to the park and wander around the wooded knoll for a bit shortly, and maybe do that again after dinner. That will at least get me above sedentary cals, otherwise I will not be doing a deficit today. I kind of really can't be bothered putting sunblock on though :\
  • VintageFeline
    I wish I had more lovely places to walk right outside my door but I'm pretty limited. Even my large local park with taking creative routes is lucky to get me 10k.
  • Nony_Mouse
    My local park is small, and the tree covered area very small (it's mostly sports fields). I would need to walk around it many, many times to get 10k! The river is excellent though, I can do walks of varying lengths thanks to four bridges. Shortest from home and back is about 5.5 km from memory.

Funnily, I actually had more options for bush trails I could do in 1-2 hours in the city! I can do the hill climb behind the town in under two hours, but I don't always feel like hauling myself up the steepness of that. The short bush walk across the hill that the uphill track intersects with is only about 1.5 km long, if that. Really not worth the drive to it!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Isn't a dermatologist supposed to be able to run a skin test panel or something and already know which items you're likely to react to? Have you already done that? I realize your doctor trusts you; but, are you sort of relieving her of the responsibility of trying to figure out what ails you?

I’m not sure if skin patch tests there are any better than here, but here they take weeks at a time and completely disrupt your life and are often inconclusive. It’s a real bummer to have sensitive skin and no real way to know what causes most issues. My derms, I’ve seen 4, have always focused on treating symptoms and some product/chemical eliminations. But those are truly difficult to manage as I can’t live in a bubble and know everything with which I come into contact. Especially outside the home.

Fun fact: oddly enough, I do not react to poison ivy.

Yup, skin patch will only show if you have an allergy, not an intolerance, and then not always. Most of my known eczema triggers seem to be intolerances.

Skin prick tests for pollen will hopefully be better at identifying those though. I like being able to go outside...

Currently cooking chicken for my cat. About to chuck it in the blender. Hopefully he will eat it :\

My vets always recommended white rice flavored with baby food for sick kitties. Vets called it a "bland diet." Kitties always loved it. Especially the beef flavored baby food.