Of refeeds and diet breaks

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Hello all, happy mew year a day late! I'm officially back in weight loss mode, as of this morning I gained 3 lbs. over the holidays, but I think maybe almost a lb. may still be water. What I learned:

1. Diet break is a very good thing - I realize from this vantage point I was getting into an unhealthy mindset about weight loss goals and restriction. I feel much more organized and relaxed right now.

2. My eating was out of control for probably 6 or 7 days of the break. Lessons learned, holiday stress needs pre-planning and being aware of behaviors that trigger emotional eating cycles.

3. I started a simple spreadsheet that will help me pinpoint net calories vs. weight so I can track more precisely how many calories I'm actually burning (using fitbit as my measure) vs. how many I'm allotted. That will help me feel more confident that what I've been doing all along will continue to work.

The most important takeaway for me is that participating in a community like this one, with people who are smart, funny and honest, is the best thing I've done for myself lately. Hoping the best of the new year to everyone, and thanks!

Thank you, I needed that this morning :)

Pish posh. You are awesome.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I am still a water filled blimp.

My boots arrived and are everything I hoped they'd be. I think the courier might have a crush on me (which is kind of alarming given I look homeless most of the time he sees me).

I just ordered some fragrance and smellies to further attempt to cheer my giftless self up. And a playsuit/romper in the sale.

My giftless self will be getting a gift on Thursday because yay, bestie is coming to see me! And meet her new fur-nephew (sorrynotsorry). And get her gifts from me.

Happy new year all!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I am also still a big ball of water (and maybe some fat), though down a bit from a few days ago. Some of this is likely from lots of walking the last couple of days.

Planning to finally get back to strength training today, I can hopefully get that in before the temperature rises so much my house is like an oven (have to keep the doors and windows closed in the mornings because of the pollen, but first need to take Mario to the vet. Again. Hoping what ails him is just the thyroid meds, but he will be getting every inch checked for other possible causes.
  • VintageFeline
    Chicken and waffles! Yum. All of it looks yum.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    I am also still a big ball of water (and maybe some fat), though down a bit from a few days ago. Some of this is likely from lots of walking the last couple of days.

Planning to finally get back to strength training today, I can hopefully get that in before the temperature rises so much my house is like an oven (have to keep the doors and windows closed in the mornings because of the pollen, but first need to take Mario to the vet. Again. Hoping what ails him is just the thyroid meds, but he will be getting every inch checked for other possible causes.

I've definitely gained fat .. up 3% according to my skulpt which puts me at 12.2%. Which realistically might be 15-16% in the real world if I take margin of error into account. And I'm at 176.8 today, so the controlled surplus is going well. I have another 2 full months of this surplus with a focus on Olympic weightlifting and bodybuilding accessory lifts for some hypertrophy. FYI, getting back into a lifting routine after taking about 4-5 days off SUUUUCKS.. everything feels like cardio. #noobgainz amirite? ... I wish it were that simple lol.

Chicken and waffles! Yum. All of it looks yum.

Thank you! And it was ALL delicious. Those giant tortas and burrito were all at least 18 inches long. Split among 3 people, we each had 1/3 of the concoctions. Vegas was full of essentials: alcohol, protein, fat, and carbs.. and morning lifts. I would have taken pictures of xmas and new years stuff but it truly wasn't exciting. Though, I did take from @Nony_Mouse's idea and had bbq.. beef and baby back ribs.. mmmm.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Travel water weight seems to be coming off nicely -- down another .8 pounds this morning. (Sorry. I apparently am the exception today in blimp-like status. Maybe my body is making up for lost time.)

I'm dealing with some hardcore food paralysis again -- nothing seems good and worth the calories, but I also know that I can't just eat a handful of crackers and call it good. AKA: Why my takeout expenses are stupid crazy high right now, and yet my grocery bills are low. It's easier to just click and order.
  • Nony_Mouse
    anubis609 wrote: »

I've definitely gained fat .. up 3% according to my skulpt which puts me at 12.2%. Which realistically might be 15-16% in the real world if I take margin of error into account. And I'm at 176.8 today, so the controlled surplus is going well. I have another 2 full months of this surplus with a focus on Olympic weightlifting and bodybuilding accessory lifts for some hypertrophy. FYI, getting back into a lifting routine after taking about 4-5 days off SUUUUCKS.. everything feels like cardio. #noobgainz amirite? ... I wish it were that simple lol.

According to maths I deserve about a pound. Some of that has been mitigated already with two days of deficit. Another three days and I should have balanced the books. I think. The quick cal add on Sunday was a total guess, and very possibly under.

Right, I need to get dressed and wrangle a cat into his carrier. Hopefully he is still in the back garden where last seen!! Oh, here he comes...handy!
  • VintageFeline
    I think, on reflection, I might deserve about 2lbs but I would think that's the upper limit. So I have about 5lbs of water still to whoosh off. I peaked at a 10lb gain! I'll probably need a couple of weeks to know the truth though because it can take me an age to whoosh off water. Particularly if I get my *kitten* in gear and start working out again. A month off isn't the one.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Diet break going well. Might have "accidentally" bought myself something whilst buying a thing for Christmas day (should I attend, I am wiped after 3 hours at the shops today though so not optimistic). Anyway. Behold diet BREAK friendly fancy pants chocs!

Don't judge size of box. 20% off voucher, would have been rude not to maximise its use........

Wow, that looks amazing. What kind of flavors are in it?

Mostly festive themed.

l4xxmheitizv.jpg

Sorry if someone already asked—per usual I’m running behind. And OMG—is there a link for that? Sorry, my drool is interfering with my typing. :dizzy:
  • VintageFeline
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Diet break going well. Might have "accidentally" bought myself something whilst buying a thing for Christmas day (should I attend, I am wiped after 3 hours at the shops today though so not optimistic). Anyway. Behold diet BREAK friendly fancy pants chocs!

Don't judge size of box. 20% off voucher, would have been rude not to maximise its use........

Wow, that looks amazing. What kind of flavors are in it?

Mostly festive themed.

l4xxmheitizv.jpg

Sorry if someone already asked—per usual I’m running behind. And OMG—is there a link for that? Sorry, my drool is interfering with my typing. :dizzy:

There is! All their festive chocs are in the sale now (a chocolate, I mean, that's the elixir of life right?). I have to go pick up the aforementioned ordered playsuit from the mall there is a branch of this place in. Now do I trust myself to get something in the sale...............

http://www.hotelchocolat.com/uk/shop/collections/prices/chocolate-offers/
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    "Duh" moment of the year is the *sudden* realization that I've been collecting stupid data re: resting and active energy expenditure for the past couple years with my Apple Watch. Resting is on average 1869kcal with active being an average of 555kcal for the entirety of 2017.. which puts me squarely at 2424kcal as maintenance. Given that I gave myself the rough estimate of 2400 kcal for this gaintenance cycle, using current bodyweight and an activity multiplier of 1.3 (sedentary work/home + strength training 5-6x/week), it was actually pretty damn close to a good estimate.

TIL I'm not the technologically inclined data geek I thought I was; rather, I base applied theory to only recent pertinent info. Heh...Whatever works, right?
  • Psychgrrl
    My new bling arrived!! I has Fitbit on my wrist again!!!! It makes the actual device bit seem really, really huge. Haven't heard from the store yet about the official replacement. Hopefully that happens by Friday morning, because I so don't want to go near the shopping centre on the weekend.

iy4qfjzv4cwj.jpg

Ah so pretty. I have so many issues with straps, which is much better now that my watch takes standard watch straps. I get an intense dermatitis/allergic reaction to anything that isn't completely breathable. So silicon straps are a no, leather straps are a no. I have settled on milanese stainless steel for the last couple and will keep an eye out for something more exciting.

Funny you should mention the fitness tracker wristbands and dermatitis. I had a Vivoactive (not hr) for a couple years before buying my Vivoactive HR last Feb.

In April, I switch from a body lotion with sunscreen in it to all our sunscreen all day. Shortly after I started getting welts on my wrists along the edge of the band. Figuring I’d come into contact with something outside, I washed up, scrubbed the wristband and put it on the other wrist, coating the affected one with hydrocortisone cream.

Welts appeared on the other wrist. No matter what I did. They appeared and were starting to scar. I bought an aluminum band off amazon and the problem ended.

It was just so strange because the HR wristband seemed identical to the non-HR wristband. Obviously, it was not. Stupid sensitive skin, this is why I have a medicine cabinet full of prescription allergy treatments and meds. :neutral:
  • Psychgrrl
    edited January 2018
    Or I can send you my psychotic immune system! It's free to a good home and good for a 4 lb weight loss in less than 6 weeks eating at TDEE (or more accurately, what would normally be TDEE) :|

How nice of you, but I must respectfully decline your offer. ;)

So I'm setting parameters for my diet break. Have been on calorie restriction since March 6th. 1400 cal to start - reset to 1550 cal a couple of months ago. Low carb - 40g or less net carbs most days.

Ran some calculators for maintenance calories. Ankerl gave me 1907 - ruled.me 1944 - MFP 2150 - IIFYM 2507.

I'm thinking of aiming for 1950-2000 cal per day. 200 g carbs - 115 g protein - 72 g fat. Thoughts?

If you have your own data use that instead of a calculator. Take the last eight weeks of loss, work out what that means in calories and add to what you have been eating on average. Real world trumps guesstimating calculators.

Macro splits are personal. But as you've been low carb when you return to "normal" carb you are going to see a scale spike as glycogen replenishes.

That’s what I’m doing. In a spreadsheet, about a month ago, I started combining MFP data (calories consumed, grams of macros, sodium, fiber), weight, TDEE, and Garmin data (steps, exercise—including type). In another month, I’m going to flip it into line graphs and see how Everything lines up.
  • Psychgrrl
    I had the same negotiations with a parking lot on Wednesday. The kicker being they had blokes at the entrance directing people in when clearly there weren't enough spaces. And I pissed someone off because I think I nabbed their space by swinging down a one way system the wrong way for a space two in from the end (so I barely went the wrong way). As I was just pulling in a big 4x4 hit his horn and then camped out behind me for a few minutes. Sorry mate, snooze you lose!

I have set my alarm for tomorrow morning so I can get in and out of the supermarket as early and as easily as possible. I really wish I didn't care and could be content with frozen veg but nope, I have to go into the fray two days before Christmas because I need my fresh veg. And a pudding. Got to have pudding. Sorry, dessert. I'm a commoner, I eat pudding (which isn't a specific thing like in the US, it's a catch all).

I don't know if it's the same where you are, but around here, a good majority of the people who drive 4x4's act and drive as if they think that having such a vehicle grants them special privileges. Usually, the more expensive the 4x4 is, the more apparent this effect is.

Absolutely the same, especially given we are not a nation designed for giant cars given the age of our roads, they were not meant for ridiculous oversized vehicles! And yet they grow ever more in popularity, never seeing so much as a muddy puddle.

I hate 4'wds, they block people in normal cars view, they're a frickan menace! But the biggest annoyance is, why buy one when your monstrous car will never see a dirt track and you have no intention of ever going 4 wheel driving?? :rage:

Here, it drives me nuts when they park in the “compact” car spaces. A king-cab pickup, a suburban and a minivan are NOT compact cars. And when they park in those smaller, shorter spaces they end up blocking the traffic lanes! :angry:
  • Psychgrrl
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Isn't a dermatologist supposed to be able to run a skin test panel or something and already know which items you're likely to react to? Have you already done that? I realize your doctor trusts you; but, are you sort of relieving her of the responsibility of trying to figure out what ails you?

I’m not sure if skin patch tests there are any better than here, but here they take weeks at a time and completely disrupt your life and are often inconclusive. It’s a real bummer to have sensitive skin and no real way to know what causes most issues. My derms, I’ve seen 4, have always focused on treating symptoms and some product/chemical eliminations. But those are truly difficult to manage as I can’t live in a bubble and know everything with which I come into contact. Especially outside the home.

Fun fact: oddly enough, I do not react to poison ivy.
  • VintageFeline
    I had the same negotiations with a parking lot on Wednesday. The kicker being they had blokes at the entrance directing people in when clearly there weren't enough spaces. And I pissed someone off because I think I nabbed their space by swinging down a one way system the wrong way for a space two in from the end (so I barely went the wrong way). As I was just pulling in a big 4x4 hit his horn and then camped out behind me for a few minutes. Sorry mate, snooze you lose!

I have set my alarm for tomorrow morning so I can get in and out of the supermarket as early and as easily as possible. I really wish I didn't care and could be content with frozen veg but nope, I have to go into the fray two days before Christmas because I need my fresh veg. And a pudding. Got to have pudding. Sorry, dessert. I'm a commoner, I eat pudding (which isn't a specific thing like in the US, it's a catch all).

I don't know if it's the same where you are, but around here, a good majority of the people who drive 4x4's act and drive as if they think that having such a vehicle grants them special privileges. Usually, the more expensive the 4x4 is, the more apparent this effect is.

Absolutely the same, especially given we are not a nation designed for giant cars given the age of our roads, they were not meant for ridiculous oversized vehicles! And yet they grow ever more in popularity, never seeing so much as a muddy puddle.

I hate 4'wds, they block people in normal cars view, they're a frickan menace! But the biggest annoyance is, why buy one when your monstrous car will never see a dirt track and you have no intention of ever going 4 wheel driving?? :rage:

Here, it drives me nuts when they park in the “compact” car spaces. A king-cab pickup, a suburban and a minivan are NOT compact cars. And when they park in those smaller, shorter spaces they end up blocking the traffic lanes! :angry:

All of our car spaces are compact. You can imagine how much fun that is. Hell our carparks are compact! Back in the dark ages of the Romans when they first built supermarkets and multi-stories and carparks and such like (totes historically accurate, ask Nony) only farmers had 4WD. Now even my small car can have a time if I have to squeeze in between two of them. In suburban London. It's ridiculous. When I drive in the States it feels like absolute luxury with all the space and room!
  • Nony_Mouse

Isn't a dermatologist supposed to be able to run a skin test panel or something and already know which items you're likely to react to? Have you already done that? I realize your doctor trusts you; but, are you sort of relieving her of the responsibility of trying to figure out what ails you?

I’m not sure if skin patch tests there are any better than here, but here they take weeks at a time and completely disrupt your life and are often inconclusive. It’s a real bummer to have sensitive skin and no real way to know what causes most issues. My derms, I’ve seen 4, have always focused on treating symptoms and some product/chemical eliminations. But those are truly difficult to manage as I can’t live in a bubble and know everything with which I come into contact. Especially outside the home.

Yup, skin patch will only show if you have an allergy, not an intolerance, and then not always. Most of my known eczema triggers seem to be intolerances.

Skin prick tests for pollen will hopefully be better at identifying those though. I like being able to go outside...

Currently cooking chicken for my cat. About to chuck it in the blender. Hopefully he will eat it :\
  • VintageFeline

Yup, skin patch will only show if you have an allergy, not an intolerance, and then not always. Most of my known eczema triggers seem to be intolerances.

Skin prick tests for pollen will hopefully be better at identifying those though. I like being able to go outside...

Currently cooking chicken for my cat. About to chuck it in the blender. Hopefully he will eat it :\

Mackerel in tom sauce slightly warmed in the micro or same for tuna, helped Dave when he struggled with appetite. I'd also break up Dreamies on it. This was when I was encouraging him off tube feeds.