Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I have plenty of those!!

But mostly the gams look pretty good considering I supposedly middle-aged (wtf???).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I just have the motherload of stretch marks instead. Fair warning to anyone thinking about stopping being an elite level gymnast and running head first straight into delayed puberty!

Fear not my love, I have those as well, on top of everything else :angry: The boob stretch marks came from them growing seemingly overnight when i was 14! Then the belly and hips copped them after pregnancy!

I've never been able to wear low cut tops/dresses that show even the teeniest bit of cleavage, and haven't worn a bikini since i was 18 years old.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    My boobs are actually pretty alright curiously! Because they are generous.

A few tummy ones from being fat but the ones all over my legs/butt/thighs/inner thighs/backs of knees have been there since I was about 13. Never cared enough not to wear a bikini.

I wish i had your confidence :heart:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    What a beautiful puppy. A tip for the future. Be careful what he gets for christmas if you're expecting company. Having to clean last minute isn't fun (speaking from experience).

2s5beu7ebdja.jpg

Haha omg beastly lil pupper! How old is she/he?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    OK. So... things have not been going well lately. Water weight is a real mind-kitten, and traveling and the holidays didn't help. Which sent me into a bad purge cycle, which then led to a bad binge cycle. When when I then tried to *break* said cycle, led to a seven pound weight gain. That was... not awesome.

Searching for control this morning, I went all data hulk smash. Basically, I should have lost three pounds since Thanksgiving, based on intake v. output (including the binges -- figuring that calories still count even if you're purging out the water), and I think I would have done that, had it not been for the damn water weight. Because I was hovering around 125 before that bad cycle, and then was 122 during -- but I started at 127ish. So I can believe that it's in the right-ish direction, if I hadn't let my brain take control.

More importantly, this confirmed my theory -- that my optimal level of Synthroid was where I had it pre-May, and that I should have fought harder when they tried to decrease it. (I had enough extra meds from med changes floating around that I could titrate to the dose that I felt was more appropriate, which I did in mid-November.) I've now got a spreadsheet showing that, and I'll take it to my endo when I see him in February. I'm sure he won't be happy that I titrated up, but I wasn't happy with not being listened to. I don't know what my Plan B is if he doesn't permanently agree to the higher dose.

(Note: It's not that the hypo slowed my metabolism. I know that -- the BMR testing was fine. Water weight gain that can't be budged by diuretics is common with uncontrolled hypothyroid.)

I hate that I basically lost a year's worth of losses because no one listened to me when I said something was wrong, and that I a) allowed the endos to do this, and b) didn't fight harder when the first dietitian and my old GP said it was "normal" to gain weight and that it was just the "disease process" of ED recovery. I was never underweight, and they could never provide me with studies showing how it *was* the process. No wonder people don't listen to doctors. It doesn't help patients recover when you lie to them (not out of malice, but of ignorance) and you hammer in that if they don't just go along, they don't want recovery.

It's so ridiculous. I know that I just need to go back to a deficit, and it'll come off (and my therapist and dietitian can just deal with it -- both were as baffled as I am, and both are also on the page of "do what you have to do to keep yourself sane"), but I am incredibly resentful that I allowed medical providers to do this to me.

(((((HUGS))))) :heart:

So Sorry! Please don't blame yourself for not advocating or fighting harder--hindsight's always 20/20. And the easiest person to blame is always us, even when we don't deserve it. It sucks that we have to be not only our own best advocate, but our own medical expert as well--and on many different topics!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    My boobs are actually pretty alright curiously! Because they are generous.

A few tummy ones from being fat but the ones all over my legs/butt/thighs/inner thighs/backs of knees have been there since I was about 13. Never cared enough not to wear a bikini.

I wish i had your confidence :heart:

Oh I faked it for a good long time and I still have my moments. But I'd rather wear the things and do the things than worry about some silvery bits of skin. Or lumpy bits of skin for that matter! Still working on short shorts in public but that's more of a hungry bum issue than anything else.......
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    OK. So... things have not been going well lately. Water weight is a real mind-kitten, and traveling and the holidays didn't help. Which sent me into a bad purge cycle, which then led to a bad binge cycle. When when I then tried to *break* said cycle, led to a seven pound weight gain. That was... not awesome.

Searching for control this morning, I went all data hulk smash. Basically, I should have lost three pounds since Thanksgiving, based on intake v. output (including the binges -- figuring that calories still count even if you're purging out the water), and I think I would have done that, had it not been for the damn water weight. Because I was hovering around 125 before that bad cycle, and then was 122 during -- but I started at 127ish. So I can believe that it's in the right-ish direction, if I hadn't let my brain take control.

More importantly, this confirmed my theory -- that my optimal level of Synthroid was where I had it pre-May, and that I should have fought harder when they tried to decrease it. (I had enough extra meds from med changes floating around that I could titrate to the dose that I felt was more appropriate, which I did in mid-November.) I've now got a spreadsheet showing that, and I'll take it to my endo when I see him in February. I'm sure he won't be happy that I titrated up, but I wasn't happy with not being listened to. I don't know what my Plan B is if he doesn't permanently agree to the higher dose.

(Note: It's not that the hypo slowed my metabolism. I know that -- the BMR testing was fine. Water weight gain that can't be budged by diuretics is common with uncontrolled hypothyroid.)

I hate that I basically lost a year's worth of losses because no one listened to me when I said something was wrong, and that I a) allowed the endos to do this, and b) didn't fight harder when the first dietitian and my old GP said it was "normal" to gain weight and that it was just the "disease process" of ED recovery. I was never underweight, and they could never provide me with studies showing how it *was* the process. No wonder people don't listen to doctors. It doesn't help patients recover when you lie to them (not out of malice, but of ignorance) and you hammer in that if they don't just go along, they don't want recovery.

It's so ridiculous. I know that I just need to go back to a deficit, and it'll come off (and my therapist and dietitian can just deal with it -- both were as baffled as I am, and both are also on the page of "do what you have to do to keep yourself sane"), but I am incredibly resentful that I allowed medical providers to do this to me.

(((((HUGS))))) :heart:

So Sorry! Please don't blame yourself for not advocating or fighting harder--hindsight's always 20/20. And the easiest person to blame is always us, even when we don't deserve it. It sucks that we have to be not only our own best advocate, but our own medical expert as well--and on many different topics!

I agree - don't blame yourself; use it as an opportunity to learn! I know how hard it is to question doctors, and even harder to get them to listen to you when you question their judgement. Hang in there and stick to your guns!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    7jb0v5waf1rz.jpeg

And just because of the sciences... Not so much vascularity, but rather varicosity. :smile:

Look at those gams!

Have you ever had issues with tendon/ligament injuries in ankles feet?
    Any blood flow/cold feet issues?

@heybales Yes, and yes! How did you know that?

I was born with flat feet and had them operated on (tendons shortened?) when I was 5. It made it slightly painful to walk in a relaxed way so I always had to purposefully raise my arch higher. It's better and I can run now I wear orthotics.

I'm self-diagnosed with Reynaud's syndrome, and get multicoloured hands, and used to get chill blains on my feet at school.

Mind you, my Mum has terrible varicose veins, and both my sisters, and they've all had theirs operated on. Maybe I need mine done? Oddly, it's just my one leg.
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    HNY all the refeeders!

Went back to deficit on Jan 1

Not weighed in but trousers that were a 'snug fit' in the run up to Xmas are now falling off me

Weigh in 25 Jan
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    900+ comments since I last checked in with you all. You guys have been busy! :) Honestly, I probably will never have time to go back and read them, so forgive if I ask a question that has already been asked.

I took a Holiday Diet Break from Dec 22 - Jan 1st. I was scared to weigh in on Jan 2nd, but whew, no gain. I was exactly the same as Dec 22nd. Since then it has taken me until Sunday(1/7) to actually eat at or under my daily allotted deficit. I had no problem on my first diet break getting right back to it.

Has anyone else had a hard time getting back into the deficit? Any pointers?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    7jb0v5waf1rz.jpeg

And just because of the sciences... Not so much vascularity, but rather varicosity. :smile:

Look at those gams!

Have you ever had issues with tendon/ligament injuries in ankles feet?
    Any blood flow/cold feet issues?

@heybales Yes, and yes! How did you know that?

I was born with flat feet and had them operated on (tendons shortened?) when I was 5. It made it slightly painful to walk in a relaxed way so I always had to purposefully raise my arch higher. It's better and I can run now I wear orthotics.

I'm self-diagnosed with Reynaud's syndrome, and get multicoloured hands, and used to get chill blains on my feet at school.

Mind you, my Mum has terrible varicose veins, and both my sisters, and they've all had theirs operated on. Maybe I need mine done? Oddly, it's just my one leg.

My dad had and I have great blood flow in legs, which it appears you would have, but then less than normal to the feet.
    Not sure if achilles is average or not, healing from injury seemed rather quick in comparison to what I read for others, so perhaps better there.
    But then again a normal cold weather run better start with warm calves or the achilles will be awful later on. I've been lucky the Nov marathon/half I like to do starts through business park and I can park my car at about 2 miles, and throw excess clothes in then.

Just curious if same for you, nothing indicated it might be the case.
    Never heard of chillblains before, wow. If I had a propensity for it, I'd sure get it a lot.

And to the topic ..... uh ..... I'm sure a refeed week ..... helps ..... I got nothing.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Leeg5656 wrote: »
    900+ comments since I last checked in with you all. You guys have been busy! :) Honestly, I probably will never have time to go back and read them, so forgive if I ask a question that has already been asked.

I took a Holiday Diet Break from Dec 22 - Jan 1st. I was scared to weigh in on Jan 2nd, but whew, no gain. I was exactly the same as Dec 22nd. Since then it has taken me until Sunday(1/7) to actually eat at or under my daily allotted deficit. I had no problem on my first diet break getting right back to it.

Has anyone else had a hard time getting back into the deficit? Any pointers?

It depends on what you set your deficit to. There are multiple ways to create a deficit and it doesn't need to be a large deficit. Either refer to the revised opening post or you can see my refresher on page 157 or 158 in creating a minimal deficit that allows for weight loss, but enough calories to not feel deprived. The main point is to have an average deficit over the week, so if some maintenance days are thrown in during the week to get there, you're fine.