Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    The twins have FB pages, so Horatio can friend them when he gets his ;)

I'm not sure I'm ready for the commitment, though it would probably be a blessing to some folks on my friends list who are sick of me talking about him!

If it helps, mine never even check theirs anymore ;). Mario's was actually set up by my friend when I moved to Aus (briefly) b/c she missed him. Got a PM one day with log in details for my cat's account :D

It would be a page not a profile. If FB catches those profiles they get nuked (against T&Cs, people used to do it for businesses, a friend lost about 2000 contacts getting it nuked a couple years ago).

Probably just as well they never check theirs then!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I'm not even sure why I've been bothering to step on the scale atm! Force of habit, I guess.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how I'll go about the holidays either. I've never tracked during a holiday before, but that's because I've never stuck at logging my food for this long before! We'll be away for a couple of weeks, so I'm thinking I'll try to log something every day, even if it includes some quick adds, notes and guesstimates.

I think the hot weather will make it easier as I usually just feel like light meals anyway. As usual, it will be the snack foods that are my challenge, not so much the meals. That's why I think I should probably keep logging - it will help stop me mindlessly inhaling chips.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Also, when the volume of food suddenly increases for one day the damage won't be nearly so bad as if it was over several days because you just can't process all of the excess. Or at least I think that's how it works. My having two free days is because I'm actually not at home alone stuffing myself into a coma this year. I eat less when at someone elses (not intentionally, just not the opportunity to keep picking). So I'll have my actual free day at some other point.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I'm not going to log Christmas day. And I'm actually in two minds about drinking, even though I keep talking about bubbles under a tree. I'm not sure alcohol really agrees with me anymore. I should maybe do a practice run...
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I shall partake of a couple of hot buttered rums on my free days because delicious. I might get a wee small bottle or two of something fizzy but yeah, I won't be doing a lot of drinking. I'm driving to and from Christmas day so no drinking for me! Until I get home but it will likely be too late by then.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Well, by TDEE, I mean what the piece of plastic on my wrist says :tongue:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Same. I just need some more time with data crunching (and some less mental fatigue from whatever's going on with my health to actually sit down with the numbers and crunch them) to figure out the % difference between my real world data and the feedback I'm getting from what's strapped to my wrist.

At some point in the future, I'd ideally like to adjust my Fitbit stats so that the data I get from it gives me accurate numbers and I don't need to do any thinking.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

Lol we know how I don't trust the metal/plastic concoction on my wrist :lol:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    I've been following the thread, sort of going back and forth on whether I'm ready to post. I think it's time, I probably need a little help.

I've been losing weight slowly but steadily for a little more than 18 months, like I'm down to about a lb. a month now. I've lost about 45 lbs and weigh between 106 and 108 (5'3", 67 yrs old female). I know I need to stop and maintain, and I can't. My head wants me to weigh 105 lbs, and it also wants me to drop to 104 so maintenance won't go over 105. It's not an eating disorder thing, it's a self image (and I think control) issue.

I keep saying I'm taking a maintenance break during Dec., and I keep panicking when I gain anything a day after eating more than my weight loss calories (which is typical because I usually eat more carbs and carry a little more water). I had no problems with even big fluctuations while in weight loss mode, but I'm over-reacting now and cutting calories until I get back to 106 where apparently my head thinks it's OK to sit for a month. Then my head thinks we're going to lose that last couple of lbs. and live happily ever after underweight.

I think I'm really worried about losing control once I'm no longer in active weight loss mode. I've never set a weight goal before, got to the goal and increased calories just enough to stay there. It's always been weight loss mode with no goal until something changes in my life and I abandon all hope and eat my way back up. I REALLY don't want that to happen this time.

I've never tried actually talking out my concerns about how to manage maintenance, and never really considered that I might have some issues with body image and possibly control issues. Thank you all for providing a safe place to talk about these things.

Ah, well, as you will have seen, my head decided to go for the lower weight, because I found it so much easier with utilising refeeds to actually stick to a deficit. But even at the start of the diet break that wasn't, I was already umming and ahhing about whether I really needed to lose the extra kg. Then late luteal increased bmr and eczema flare knocked off a chunk more :D. Obviously I don't know what's going on under the remaining water weight, we'll see in the next few days I guess, but I decided I'm done yesterday. Now, whether that holds is another matter!! Though, I'd really like to not have anymore new bras suddenly be too small a week after buying them. So, done.

Do you have another goal, such as recomp/strength building, that maybe knowing you need to be at maintenance for will help you stay there?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh yeah, guess what I did this afternoon guys? Ahahahaha, I should go count and see how many that is now. Pretty sure I need to do some drawer reorganising (ie, find another place for socks to live, so pretty things can take over that drawer too).

Luckily, I have absolutely, definitively exhausted my choices at both outlet shops. Until they get that new shipment of Stella McCartney in...
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Sending all the vibes <3
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    I've been following the thread, sort of going back and forth on whether I'm ready to post. I think it's time, I probably need a little help.

I've been losing weight slowly but steadily for a little more than 18 months, like I'm down to about a lb. a month now. I've lost about 45 lbs and weigh between 106 and 108 (5'3", 67 yrs old female). I know I need to stop and maintain, and I can't. My head wants me to weigh 105 lbs, and it also wants me to drop to 104 so maintenance won't go over 105. It's not an eating disorder thing, it's a self image (and I think control) issue.

I keep saying I'm taking a maintenance break during Dec., and I keep panicking when I gain anything a day after eating more than my weight loss calories (which is typical because I usually eat more carbs and carry a little more water). I had no problems with even big fluctuations while in weight loss mode, but I'm over-reacting now and cutting calories until I get back to 106 where apparently my head thinks it's OK to sit for a month. Then my head thinks we're going to lose that last couple of lbs. and live happily ever after underweight.

I think I'm really worried about losing control once I'm no longer in active weight loss mode. I've never set a weight goal before, got to the goal and increased calories just enough to stay there. It's always been weight loss mode with no goal until something changes in my life and I abandon all hope and eat my way back up. I REALLY don't want that to happen this time.

I've never tried actually talking out my concerns about how to manage maintenance, and never really considered that I might have some issues with body image and possibly control issues. Thank you all for providing a safe place to talk about these things.

Ah, well, as you will have seen, my head decided to go for the lower weight, because I found it so much easier with utilising refeeds to actually stick to a deficit. But even at the start of the diet break that wasn't, I was already umming and ahhing about whether I really needed to lose the extra kg. Then late luteal increased bmr and eczema flare knocked off a chunk more :D. Obviously I don't know what's going on under the remaining water weight, we'll see in the next few days I guess, but I decided I'm done yesterday. Now, whether that holds is another matter!! Though, I'd really like to not have anymore new bras suddenly be too small a week after buying them. So, done.

Do you have another goal, such as recomp/strength building, that maybe knowing you need to be at maintenance for will help you stay there?

I've been doing strength training for about 5 months twice a week with a personal trainer, and have made some progress (yay, slightly visible muscles!). It's slow going because we're working around some injuries (repeated rotator cuff surgeries in my right shoulder, and triceps tendon repair in left elbow after tearing it off in a bike accident last Oct.) I really like the idea of recomp, but I don't have the confidence that I'm going to be able to get to the point where I can lift heavy enough weights to make that happen. It's a goal, for sure, but (excuses, excuses) my head wants me to get rid of the fat draped around my middle before we commit to a recomp. And of course, the point of a recomp is to get rid of the fat draped around my middle...

Maybe I'll give myself to the end of Dec. to just keep doing what I'm doing. Wherever I am at the beginning of Jan will be my starting maintenance number. Ok, and I could get a bod-pod type body fat estimate, and use that to set a body fat goal and work toward reducing that over the next year with the challenge being to hold my weight constant at the same time. You've got me thinking from a different perspective now, thanks! I've got some time to let this percolate. :)

You don't have to lift heavy for recomp, just heavy for you, ie work progressively, increasing weights when the current weight gets easy. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but so long as you are doing that, you will build muscle doing that if you are eating at maintenance.

Hmm didn't realize that. I am lifting progressively, just increasing very slowly (but miraculously injury free) so that's really encouraging.

There you go then :)

And thank you for Mario vibes.