Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    On the topic of body fat estimates: How difficult is it to estimate an individual's body fat levels if they were morbidly obese and lost a lot of weight and have excess skin? I had thought about getting a set of calipers just to check, but I'm thinking that all those extra folds I have are going to be a problem with that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    On the topic of body fat estimates: How difficult is it to estimate an individual's body fat levels if they were morbidly obese and lost a lot of weight and have excess skin? I had thought about getting a set of calipers just to check, but I'm thinking that all those extra folds I have are going to be a problem with that.

Yep you'll have issues with calipers if there's a lot of loose skin. I have a feeling most methods will be tricky and the best may well be an eyeball but even then there are limitations depending on location and severity of the loose skin. Someone else may be able to help better though, I'm just your amateur armchair estimator.
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm having one hell of a whoosh - down 6 pounds since Wednesday! *eyes the scale dubiously* Will be getting back to normal exercise routine post cold tomorrow so hopefully that will stabilise things / push it back up. I suspect I'm still dehydrated from tummy bug.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'm having one hell of a whoosh - down 6 pounds since Wednesday! *eyes the scale dubiously* Will be getting back to normal exercise routine post cold tomorrow so hopefully that will stabilise things / push it back up. I suspect I'm still dehydrated from tummy bug.

The flu is rampant here in SoCal and many people outside the High-risk group (children, elderly, those with compromised immune systems) have been hospitalized, according to the news outlets. 27 are dead state-wide from the flu, compared to 3 at the same time last year. :disappointed:

Hope you’re back to to normal soon!

Sending healing kitty thoughts down under.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options

Yep you'll have issues with calipers if there's a lot of loose skin. I have a feeling most methods will be tricky and the best may well be an eyeball but even then there are limitations depending on location and severity of the loose skin. Someone else may be able to help better though, I'm just your amateur armchair estimator.

that's what I figured. I've got a stocky Germanic build and most of my weight was packed on the middle and on the hips. Good news is, that's where I've been losing a lot of inches, but that has left behind a lot of un-needed "folds" in the middle. And of course, we can't forget the "bat wings"......
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I just finished a few unlogged but maintenance days in a row... ish. I had a silent migraine going on and wasn't feeling being a routine, but I was on top of the choices I was making. Still feeling a bit off, though. It was a bad one that lasted three days.

I've always told my neuro that my most troublesome symptoms are the peripheral symptoms and not the head pain (because drugs take care of that) and this time, the whole deal was about the peripheral symptoms, and they were on overdrive.

By far, my biggest trigger is weather, and another system is coming by in a day or so while I'm still in postdrome mode. Lovely.

Anyway, this is just a rant because brain fog is one of the symptoms that's making me not really have my head in the game, and I want to focus more, but it's not really happening right now.

I can't even imagine. I have a bit of a headache today along with still being a bit fatigued from all the sleep issues I've had this week and I'm having a hard enough time with that never mind what you're dealing with. Brain stuff is so hard to treat, from mental illness through to neuro issues like epilepsy and migraines. Maybe one day humans will crack it.

I have trouble with visual assessment of myself because of loose skin and yes with the calipers on some spots and not others (because they aren't areas that have accumulated loose skin).

Even when I posted pictures elsewhere and asked for an assessment, I was told that my loose skin confounded estimations.

Saying that, I was still pretty close in my eyeball estimate to where everyone else came, and calipers put me lower. Tape measure puts me a bit lower than eyeball estimate but not as low as calipers.

I've settled for just going by what looks okay at this point.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    I just finished a few unlogged but maintenance days in a row... ish. I had a silent migraine going on and wasn't feeling being a routine, but I was on top of the choices I was making. Still feeling a bit off, though. It was a bad one that lasted three days.

I've always told my neuro that my most troublesome symptoms are the peripheral symptoms and not the head pain (because drugs take care of that) and this time, the whole deal was about the peripheral symptoms, and they were on overdrive.

By far, my biggest trigger is weather, and another system is coming by in a day or so while I'm still in postdrome mode. Lovely.

Anyway, this is just a rant because brain fog is one of the symptoms that's making me not really have my head in the game, and I want to focus more, but it's not really happening right now.

I can't even imagine. I have a bit of a headache today along with still being a bit fatigued from all the sleep issues I've had this week and I'm having a hard enough time with that never mind what you're dealing with. Brain stuff is so hard to treat, from mental illness through to neuro issues like epilepsy and migraines. Maybe one day humans will crack it.

Thanks.

And take care of you! Sleep and headaches are so closely entwined. At least in my world they are. I also know that this is not the most spectacular time of the year right now for you, but each day is getting a little longer, so there is that.

And so much yes to brain stuff being a bear to treat. My issues have come a long way. When my migraines were at their worst, they were almost seizure-like in their intensity. So complaining about what I have no seems almost churlish.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

that's what I figured. I've got a stocky Germanic build and most of my weight was packed on the middle and on the hips. Good news is, that's where I've been losing a lot of inches, but that has left behind a lot of un-needed "folds" in the middle. And of course, we can't forget the "bat wings"......

My stocky build is from my Italian grandmother! I always say I'm from peasant stock.

Let's see, how to tell this story without naming names...

My grandmother and my husband's grandmother essentially had the same name. If you know Italian.

One was Angela. One was Angelina.

As for the last name, let's say the root name was Smith (of course it wasn't, but just go with this). My husband's grandmother was Angela Smith.

My grandmother was Angelina Of'Smith. (Italianized, of course)

Going back to feudal times, this means that his family were the landowners and my family were the peasants who worked his family's lands. Maybe. Ish. We joke about this because our families are from the same regions.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    7jb0v5waf1rz.jpeg

And just because of the sciences... Not so much vascularity, but rather varicosity. :smile:

Look at those gams!

Have you ever had issues with tendon/ligament injuries in ankles feet?
    Any blood flow/cold feet issues?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    (((hugs))) @collectingblues, cos just hitting the button isn't enough...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    7jb0v5waf1rz.jpeg

And just because of the sciences... Not so much vascularity, but rather varicosity. :smile:

My legs look just like that @Orphia . Lol at varicosity, so true :lol:
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    7jb0v5waf1rz.jpeg

It's weird how that works, isn't it? We're all the same age group. I have spider veins, but no actual varicose ones, despite my mother having them at my age.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Adorable, Christine!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    7jb0v5waf1rz.jpeg

It's weird how that works, isn't it? We're all the same age group. I have spider veins, but no actual varicose ones, despite my mother having them at my age.

I think mine appeared due to stand up/walking jobs my whole life??