Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    anubis609 wrote: »

Many of the people we may consider elite, heroic, or just inspiring are probably considered so, not because of their achievements, but the grinding they did to get there. We can be our own heroes :smiley:

Love this!

Here's a question. Are there any recommendations for books that address nutrition and body composition for post menopausal women? Not the "gentle yoga for seniors" type of thing, but more like "nutrition and recomp for kickass grandma's". I may be 67, but I still train for and ride metric centuries (and I'm aiming for a full century this year), run 10Ks now (and plan to do more), do weight training and have other goals that may be less common in my age group.

I was kind of blindsided when I got my DXA scan and found that the 25% body fat that is at the top of the healthy range for younger women dips into the lean range for my age group, since my goal all along has been to get under the 25%. I'm realizing there must be other health markers that change as we age, and I'd like to have some idea of how to manage my fitness in an age-appropriate way, while conceding as little as possible to limitations that come up as we get older.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

I'm hoping there's some insight in Lyle's book. I know he's mentioned (briefly) women of a certain age when he's done podcasts. I'm betting he touches on the subject in the book too.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Many of the people we may consider elite, heroic, or just inspiring are probably considered so, not because of their achievements, but the grinding they did to get there. We can be our own heroes :smiley:

Love this!

Here's a question. Are there any recommendations for books that address nutrition and body composition for post menopausal women? Not the "gentle yoga for seniors" type of thing, but more like "nutrition and recomp for kickass grandma's". I may be 67, but I still train for and ride metric centuries (and I'm aiming for a full century this year), run 10Ks now (and plan to do more), do weight training and have other goals that may be less common in my age group.

I was kind of blindsided when I got my DXA scan and found that the 25% body fat that is at the top of the healthy range for younger women dips into the lean range for my age group, since my goal all along has been to get under the 25%. I'm realizing there must be other health markers that change as we age, and I'd like to have some idea of how to manage my fitness in an age-appropriate way, while conceding as little as possible to limitations that come up as we get older.

No advice since you could run literal circles around me, but you might want to ask in this very helpful thread, too :smiley:http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10619080/q-and-a-thread-angus-is-peppered/p1

Aww, thanks <3 I've seen that thread popping up here and there - I'll check it out. For some reason I thought it was about recipes :)
  • mph323
    Options

Love this!

I'm hoping there's some insight in Lyle's book. I know he's mentioned (briefly) women of a certain age when he's done podcasts. I'm betting he touches on the subject in the book too.

That would be cool! I haven't bought the book because of cost and not being sure I would get enough out of it to make it cost-effective. Maybe if anyone reading it thinks there might be applicable information they could give me a tag? It would probably be enough to make me part with the money! :)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I’m having a serious, fitness-related issue you all. The tiny panther got the snip today and now she’s insisting on lap time, but I haven’t done my workout yet. Should I shift my rest day forward a day, or push through the adorb feels? What if I fall off the bandwagon and can’t jumpstart my journey?

l2zaq2a5rp6a.jpeg

Take the lap time. There sadly will come a time when you’ll really miss those cuddles. Take it from a person with cat owner envy. :heartbreak:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

Love this!

That would be cool! I haven't bought the book because of cost and not being sure I would get enough out of it to make it cost-effective. Maybe if anyone reading it thinks there might be applicable information they could give me a tag? It would probably be enough to make me part with the money! :)

If training is your primary goal, I would wait for vol. 2. Vol. 1 is mostly about nutrition, although he does touch on exercise here and there (for postmenopausal women he recommends very heavy lifting worked up to gradually and running, if can be done safely).

Either way, having read a few chapters so far, I feel the book is well worth the price for any woman of any age. It has a wealth of practical information. Not only is it very detailed information-wise, but he also explains how to apply this information, and he has made certain distinctions for women by age in some parts. Nutrition, as it pertains to body composition, is mostly discussed by body fat level not by age (as far as I skimmed - have not read that part yet), although I did hear him mention that protein needs tend to increase with age in one of his podcasts.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Love this!

Another woman of certain age, in my case recently at a healthy weight and maintenance so now working on fitness and VERY confused b/c I’m having much difficulty finding anything on topic of really getting fit at this age beyond a truly minimal fitness level I have surpassed. I’ll check out the linked thread.

But, besides the fact I do not have 50 dollars in my budget right now, I am reluctant to try to save up for Lyle’s book because I am older and fear it will be too advanced and have too little focused on post/ menopausal needs. But I’m willing to be convinced.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

Love this!

Another woman of certain age, in my case recently at a healthy weight and maintenance so now working on fitness and VERY confused b/c I’m having much difficulty finding anything on topic of really getting fit at this age beyond a truly minimal fitness level I have surpassed. I’ll check out the linked thread.

But, besides the fact I do not have 50 dollars in my budget right now, I am reluctant to try to save up for Lyle’s book because I am older and fear it will be too advanced and have too little focused on post/ menopausal needs. But I’m willing to be convinced.

I haven't read the book but I've seen some of his other content and it's always been broken down in basic terms and very easy to understand.
  • mph323
    Options

Love this!

If training is your primary goal, I would wait for vol. 2. Vol. 1 is mostly about nutrition, although he does touch on exercise here and there (for postmenopausal women he recommends very heavy lifting worked up to gradually and running, if can be done safely).

Either way, having read a few chapters so far, I feel the book is well worth the price for any woman of any age. It has a wealth of practical information. Not only is it very detailed information-wise, but he also explains how to apply this information, and he has made certain distinctions for women by age in some parts. Nutrition, as it pertains to body composition, is mostly discussed by body fat level not by age (as far as I skimmed - have not read that part yet), although I did hear him mention that protein needs tend to increase with age in one of his podcasts.

Thanks! Particularly interesting about the lifting and running, the two things I'm new to and where I want to make progress.

Nutrition...yeah, I need to ramp up my knowledge there. Now that I'm in maintenance and looking at getting stronger, I want to get beyond the minimum requirements and learn more about what I can do to optimize my health.

I'm sold. I'll be downloading the kindle version later today. Thanks again :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I’m having a serious, fitness-related issue you all. The tiny panther got the snip today and now she’s insisting on lap time, but I haven’t done my workout yet. Should I shift my rest day forward a day, or push through the adorb feels? What if I fall off the bandwagon and can’t jumpstart my journey?

l2zaq2a5rp6a.jpeg

I'm days behind, having just gotten home from a mini four day road trip to see Weezer and Foo Fighters, but how is this even a question?????

On food things, I started out keeping track and logging, then just gave up. I doubt I was over cals even once, though may have gotten close to maintenance the first day. Of course this is assuming driving, especially windy narrow roads that think they're highways, burns a ton of cals. Also, I can probably happily not eat another nut bar for quite some time.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    eat another nut bar
    Hmmm.... people keep telling me that we are what we eat :lol:

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    eat another nut bar

Obviously beginning to resemble my friends...:D

What will be truly nutty is if I still go for a walk tonight after an 8 hour trip home. What's the METS on driving again @PAV8888?

Also, I'm really tired.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    eat another nut bar
    Obviously beginning to resemble my friends...:D
    What will be truly nutty is if I still go for a walk tonight after an 8 hour trip home. What's the METS on driving again @PAV8888?
    Also, I'm really tired.
    Out of pure self concern for yourself, I think you should stay at home! Just after 6pm, Monday. You should prep for a busy day tomorrow, certainly not make me have to go out for a walk in the rain...

And Code 16010 Automobile or light truck (not semi) driving is 2.5 METs, while 16015 (16) Riding in a car or truck (bus or train) is 1.3!

Apparently flying a plane or *helicopter*!!!! is a more cushy job as code 16020 only gets 1.8 METs! And there I thought that "driving" a helicopter was more work than driving a car! I guess it depends on whether you shoulder check :lol:
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Pretty! :)
  • Terebynthia
    Terebynthia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ah, now that all makes much more sense! :D