Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    anubis609 wrote: »
    This thread has been quiet lately... maybe in need of more cat pics?
    All I have to add that's relevant is my diet break in January went well. I maintained throughout the 2 weeks (even while not tracking on vacation :o ) And then whooshed a couple of pounds this past week. Although I probably ate them back on my b-day (AKA Free food and drinks day) yesterday. Training has been going well, but I can always tell quite a difference in my strength/endurance when I'm in a deficit v.s. maintenance.

Good job on the diet break and happy belated bday!

Training during a deficit is usually going to take a little hit, but you can use relative strength to gauge whether the cut is too aggressive or if you're on track. Example: if your 8RM squat is 250lbs on maintenance/surplus, and you lose 5-10 lbs during your cut, and you end up squatting the same or just slightly less, like 240-245lbs, then you're still on track.

On the other hand, you can certainly gain strength during a cut, but volume may need to be slightly reduced. Periodization/undulation/autoregulation strategies are applicable to your programming. Just be mindful that overtraining is usually associated with under eating, so if your lifts start taking a nosedive, reassess diet, sleep, recovery, total volume, frequency, etc. and adjust accordingly.

Thanks @anubis609 !
    I'm trying to do a better job at tracking my workouts and paying more attention to the numbers. My workouts are just pretty random atm because I'm mostly focusing on running/flexibility with strength training 2x/week. I think the most helpful thing has been eating a small snack before workouts. I'll usually go to bed with a decent deficit and then wake up early to workout and just feel like I'm running on empty.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »

Many of the people we may consider elite, heroic, or just inspiring are probably considered so, not because of their achievements, but the grinding they did to get there. We can be our own heroes :smiley:

Love this!

Here's a question. Are there any recommendations for books that address nutrition and body composition for post menopausal women? Not the "gentle yoga for seniors" type of thing, but more like "nutrition and recomp for kickass grandma's". I may be 67, but I still train for and ride metric centuries (and I'm aiming for a full century this year), run 10Ks now (and plan to do more), do weight training and have other goals that may be less common in my age group.

I was kind of blindsided when I got my DXA scan and found that the 25% body fat that is at the top of the healthy range for younger women dips into the lean range for my age group, since my goal all along has been to get under the 25%. I'm realizing there must be other health markers that change as we age, and I'd like to have some idea of how to manage my fitness in an age-appropriate way, while conceding as little as possible to limitations that come up as we get older.

Any suggestions are welcome :)

I'm hoping there's some insight in Lyle's book. I know he's mentioned (briefly) women of a certain age when he's done podcasts. I'm betting he touches on the subject in the book too.

That would be cool! I haven't bought the book because of cost and not being sure I would get enough out of it to make it cost-effective. Maybe if anyone reading it thinks there might be applicable information they could give me a tag? It would probably be enough to make me part with the money! :)

If training is your primary goal, I would wait for vol. 2. Vol. 1 is mostly about nutrition, although he does touch on exercise here and there (for postmenopausal women he recommends very heavy lifting worked up to gradually and running, if can be done safely).

Either way, having read a few chapters so far, I feel the book is well worth the price for any woman of any age. It has a wealth of practical information. Not only is it very detailed information-wise, but he also explains how to apply this information, and he has made certain distinctions for women by age in some parts. Nutrition, as it pertains to body composition, is mostly discussed by body fat level not by age (as far as I skimmed - have not read that part yet), although I did hear him mention that protein needs tend to increase with age in one of his podcasts.

I cracked up at the initial titles he was talked out of: "50 Shades of Hormones" or "Not Just Little Men." :lol:
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    But that’s just a small blip in the larger part of actual energy intake/output. Adjust accordingly and make small adjustments at a time to find your own sweet spot. Once you find a downward trend happening that still allows you to eat comfortably, you’re on the right track. It might take a while so patience will be your friend.

Got it. Thank you. Will pick up some extra patience next time I'm at the store. ;)

So I have been aiming to eat around 2000 calories per day for about three weeks - and more some days. Averaged 2067 calories logged 1/22 through 1/28. Averaged 2223 calories logged 1/29 through 2/4. The Libra trend line is slightly upward since I ended a diet break on Jan. 4.

Gym workouts are consistent. Have been walking some more miles because zombie apocalypse challenge. Energy levels have been higher at the gym - some days.

Going to stay at this 2000 level through Feb 12th. Then vacay - I will do what I can, but calories will likely increase and logging will be a WAG somedays. Planning to treat the vacay as a diet break.

Looking ahead to 2/20 when I return home. Was thinking of setting the target at 1800 and then exceeding that some days. Is a 10% cut too drastic? Or am I still too impatient?

Thanks for your input.

• Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    It's all about glycogen stores. Eat a surplus for a day with a focus on carbohydrates, at least 500 grams of pure carbs. If glycogen is restored then so will the hormones that factor into energy homeostasis.
    It's literally that simple.
  • Russellb97
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Russellb97 wrote: »
    It's all about glycogen stores. Eat a surplus for a day with a focus on carbohydrates, at least 500 grams of pure carbs. If glycogen is restored then so will the hormones that factor into energy homeostasis.
    It's literally that simple.

Did you watch the video? Recent research shows that a one day refeed isn't enough to bring hormones back in line.

But it does. if glycogen stores are saturated. I'm like living proof. To be clear, I've already done it. Lost 130 lbs over almost 15 years. And, I look for research studies to understand "why" I was able to do what I've done.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi61.htm

Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2000 Nov;24(11):1413-8.
    Effects of short-term carbohydrate or fat overfeeding on energy expenditure and plasma leptin concentrations in healthy female subjects.

Twenty-Four-Hour Leptin Levels Respond to Cumulative Short-Term Energy Imbalance and Predict Subsequent Intake
    Catherine Chin-Chance Kenneth S. Polonsky Dale A. Schoeller
    The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Volume 85, Issue 8, 1 August 2000, Pages 2685–2691, https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.85.8.6755

• Russellb97
    Options
    My proof, going on 15 years. One day overeat on anything and everything but make sure carbs are over 500 grams.

3tpcfhk2hlsq.jpg
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I watched the video, but now I can't remember… They said a one-day refeed is not enough, but two is. But then Lyle pondered if two days during the week would be OK, even if they were not consecutive days. For instance, deficit for 2-3 days, refeed, deficit 2-3 days, refeed. Can anyone tell me if it was determined if that works as well as two consecutive days? Thx!
  • Russellb97
    Options
    Lyle is wrong. I'm sorry for those that love him but he is. Personally, I am a Lyle fan.
    We need to refeed on carbohydrates and replenish glycogen stores. For most, that means 500 grams of carbs and that will do the trick. One day is enough if glycogen is full.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    Options
    At some point of time I don't think we have the precision measurements and long-term studies available to fully calibrate whether one day splits or two in a row is more effective. I would venture to say that either of them might be better for you long term than none and what works best for you in terms of long-term adherence is probably much more important to meeting your goals.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Russellb97 wrote: »
    Lyle is wrong. I'm sorry for those that love him but he is. Personally, I am a Lyle fan.
    We need to refeed on carbohydrates and replenish glycogen stores. For most, that means 500 grams of carbs and that will do the trick. One day is enough if glycogen is full.

What percentage of your total calories is that? I'm doing awesome to hit 250 g carbs. I'm 5'6", 148 lbs, and would be having 2000-2200 calories on a refeed day.