Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I love my Apple Watch -- it's fantastic for workouts, especially since it's waterproof and even can monitor *which* stroke I do in the pool. You do need to have an iPhone, though, for it to give you any useful data.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I’m team Garmin. I just don’t think anyone makes a better product and I think Fitbit are really shoddy having seen just about everyone on this forum have quality issues with theirs.

And the Apple Watch is more smart less fitness. So it would depend on what you want there as a primary concern.

I recently got my third device from Garmin, the Vivoactive 3. I will say I think it is overshooting calories from incidental activity but exercise calories are spot on and I have just made a manual adjustment in MFP to compensate. But that can be an issue with any device as it’s all estimates.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Oh and my comment about Apple comes from someone who got a new Garmin at the same time as me but also had an AW, they feel the Garmin surpasses the Apple Watch from a fitness perspective and I think he’s made it his every day Watch now too IIRC.
  • collectingblues
    Options
    Yeah -- for my price point, the Watch was the best option I could get that didn't look clunky *and* was waterproof, but I would definitely be Team Garmin if I didn't swim or didn't care about it not looking like a watch... (I am such a princess in this regard.)
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    That’s why I jumped on the VA3, it’s the newest one and it looks like a normal watch. All Garmin are waterproof and the upper end models have native swimming apps.
  • collectingblues
    edited November 2017
    Options
    So random musings, in the post-Thanksgiving period.

Thanks to a combination of glorified slug status, and Thanksgiving itself, my average intake over the past week was pretty much on par with maintenance/TDEE.

My weight was lower this morning than yesterday morning, and although not what it was on Saturday, *also* came about on the same day that the anovulatory bleeding started. Which usually brings about a few pounds. And, since I got clearance to run again, I started that, and OMG the DOMS in my thighs is ridiculous. Like, I went to spin this morning thinking that it would help it out, and now I'm walking like I'm 90. Which ... well, if they hurt, there's water. Duh.

Still none of that "whee, here's all the cortisol water coming off," which I find highly annoying. But there is a relief of sorts that at least things were actually stable. And although I hate this current weight, it's not as bad as the peak high weight from a few weeks ago.

I have no idea how to get myself to do this consistently, but it was a relief to see that if it weren't for the OMG sodium, the presumed water weight from starting running again, and this cyclical weight, that I might have actually lost weight if things had been like a "normal" week.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    *waves hi to @janejellyroll * :)

I had a very rare sleep in. Which is actually annoying, because I wanted to get to market before a) it gets busy and full of old ladies with their gross old lady perfume, and b) before they run out of strawberries. I'm not caffeinated enough to go yet, so I'll just have to suck it up and face the crowd.

Weight is back to what it was last Saturday at the start of diet break. I thought it would sit slightly higher for the duration, so I'm pondering if I need to up my cals slightly. I may be slightly dehydrated though.

Have not remotely planned what I'm having for dinner tonight. I had thought maybe pasta, but then looked at the twice the price for half the amount with gluten-free pasta and just couldn't bring myself to do it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    We seem to have scared off the men folk with our period talk...harden up, guys!

Planning tomorrow's day hike. It has a 15% gradient in places, but only for short sections, and 10% fairly consistently for a couple of km. Of course I had no idea what that actually translates to in reality, but checking some previous hikes I can totally handle that (someone remind me I said that when I'm puffing up there in 22 C heat). Also checked the gradient on the world's steepest street, which happens to be in my hometown, so reference to something I can visualise, that's 35% at the top section, so way worse (of course I can't remember if I've actually walked up the whole that street, I'm thinking not). It's an old forestry road, so won't have the convenient nature steps (tree roots).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    To those doing refeeds. Do you eat your exact maintenance calories or go over? The reason i ask is i see a few folks struggling to get enough food in, this is a foreign concept to me :tongue:

Sorry if this was explained 50 pages ago, my memory is not that good :open_mouth:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    On the fitness tracker, I have a Garmin and like it from a performance POV, but it's something I only wear for actual training sessions (and only some of those), because I just hate wearing the HRM around the chest and the watch/monitor is clunky (and I have an Apple Watch I wear all the time so other than swimming I end up wearing both).

Drawback -- if you want to track steps/overall calories or if you don't like the HRM, like me. Positives: more accurate HRM, good cadence and elevation and other training features for running and biking and so on (actual bike computer would be more accurate, but I'm not a serious biker, and the Garmin is good enough for me). Also works for swimming.

My Apple watch is basically analogous to a fitbit but it also does smart phone type things I like. I don't know if it's accurate, but I use it to hit goals for the day (activity/calories/steps) and to compare day to day.

I basically stopped trying to track calories from workouts and instead focus on my TDEE/maintenance calories and if my activity is more/less/the same as a normal day or week.

Is the new Apple Watch actually officially waterproof/a swim tracker? Mine is the old one and I was told it probably was but Apple did not say it was and if they could tell you were using it in the water (like you had a swim tracker going) they'd not honor the warranty. I always take it off.

Most cost effective option is probably one of the newer Fitbits (can you use those with a chest HRM?).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    My favorite tracker is still just Runkeeper on my phone, though, which is basically GPS. (On that note, I left my phone in a rental car on Tuesday and am waiting to get it back and going crazy not having it.)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My favorite tracker is still just Runkeeper on my phone, though, which is basically GPS. (On that note, I left my phone in a rental car on Tuesday and am waiting to get it back and going crazy not having it.)

I misplaced my phone for 15 minutes today and I felt antsy. I might have a problem . . .
  • collectingblues
    Options
    On the fitness tracker, I have a Garmin and like it from a performance POV, but it's something I only wear for actual training sessions (and only some of those), because I just hate wearing the HRM around the chest and the watch/monitor is clunky (and I have an Apple Watch I wear all the time so other than swimming I end up wearing both).

Drawback -- if you want to track steps/overall calories or if you don't like the HRM, like me. Positives: more accurate HRM, good cadence and elevation and other training features for running and biking and so on (actual bike computer would be more accurate, but I'm not a serious biker, and the Garmin is good enough for me). Also works for swimming.

My Apple watch is basically analogous to a fitbit but it also does smart phone type things I like. I don't know if it's accurate, but I use it to hit goals for the day (activity/calories/steps) and to compare day to day.

I basically stopped trying to track calories from workouts and instead focus on my TDEE/maintenance calories and if my activity is more/less/the same as a normal day or week.

Is the new Apple Watch actually officially waterproof/a swim tracker? Mine is the old one and I was told it probably was but Apple did not say it was and if they could tell you were using it in the water (like you had a swim tracker going) they'd not honor the warranty. I always take it off.

Most cost effective option is probably one of the newer Fitbits (can you use those with a chest HRM?).

Yes -- Series 2 and Series 3 are officially waterproof, and have swim settings within the Workout app.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

I misplaced my phone for 15 minutes today and I felt antsy. I might have a problem . . .

Oh, I definitely have a problem. I realized I had left it when boarding in Jackson, seriously thought about running back to get it and missing my plane (and spending another night in Jackson), decided not to (which I currently regret), and basically sat there freaking and unable to concentrate on anything during my flight to Atlanta. Then I spent my layover in Atlanta trying to contact people who were ridiculously hard to contact (and that the whole entire Atlanta airport seems to have no payphones anymore is just obnoxious -- and maybe they do, but I search the maps and asked people who work there and was told no).

Just found out they screwed up the shipping part too, so now I'm not getting it 'til Monday (I hope Monday!). Argh. Why do I always do this kind of idiotic stuff at the worst possible time?
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Yes -- Series 2 and Series 3 are officially waterproof, and have swim settings within the Workout app.

Good to know!
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I think most if not all Garmins now have OHR and don’t need a chest strap. I no longer use my chest strap though I can if I want more accurate data. There are cheap entry level options too that rival Fitbit. Fitbit just have the marketing power but Garmin are accepted to be a better product all round. My last tracker is still fine after wearing it every day for nearly 2 years.

If you want to look at reviews and comparisons check out DC Rainmaker, really really good reviews and cemented my choice to pre-order my device when it was announced.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    To those doing refeeds. Do you eat your exact maintenance calories or go over? The reason i ask is i see a few folks struggling to get enough food in, this is a foreign concept to me :tongue:

Sorry if this was explained 50 pages ago, my memory is not that good :open_mouth:

I do exact maintenance according to Fitbit TDEE, or as close as I can get. Don't think I've managed right on the nose, but I can usually predict within about 10 cals what I need to be at by bedtime.

I generally only struggle now if I have a higher than anticipated TDEE (like I decide to do an evening walk) and haven't gotten enough cals in during the day (ie pre-dinner), and refeeds were a learning curve because of needing to keep fat at 50g. I couldn't just default to a massive dark choc peanut butter protein shake to soak up extra cals.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh and back to day hike planning, I had the inspired idea to get dark choc covered ginger pieces for this one. One of my favourite things. Nom!! Of course I'd already gotten my little bulk bin bag of tropical fruit, and I know (or think) they chuck out bags of bulk bin stuff that people decide they don't want so had to get it, so am now quite set with my high carb energy bursts for hiking for a few weeks.

But somehow it's easy to go over maintenance when you're not thinking about it, and not when you are (the not assuming you have a decent TDEE, if I was sedentary it would be super easy to go over, that's how I got fat!).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I do maintenance according to my Fitbit TDEE, or thereabouts. I've come to find that Fitbit underestimates my burn by a bit, so I might not quite be eating maintenance calories. I still have to play with things as I get deeper into doing this.

Edit: Unlike Nony, the macros for the redeeds aren't a struggle for me. I tend to eat low fat anyway. I keep my fat and protein constant to my regular diet and just add in more starch than I normally eat, and ... that's a refeed for me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I'm not knocking the chest strap. My purpose with the Garmin was to use it for training and get super accurate information about a variety of things. I just hate wearing them.