Of refeeds and diet breaks

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I can! Are you on an iPhone? If not then maybe you can’t but I definitely can.

mhxgnivic4ha.jpeg
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    We're traveling back home post holidays. My husband and I are getting ready to head to the gym so we can maintain that we've been "active" during this break. Tomorrow will be another travel day and then I'll be able to weigh in on Monday. I had originally planned to continue the diet break another week, then deficit for two weeks, then another diet break over Christmas. I'm debating returning to the deficit next week. That would be a one week diet break, three week deficit, then two week break. I know it won't make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things. I think I'm just sorta feeling that post-holiday gotta-work-the-turkey-off surge. Too many decisions.

If it helps the decision, one week diet break is not enough to do what you want in terms of restoring hormone levels, needs to be 10-14 days, and if you've been at a deficit for a while, 14 is preferable to 10.

I knew there was a reason I originally planned on two weeks. I'm just panicking because part of my brain is screaming "this is not how you lose weight!" And that's true, I'm not trying to lose right now - I'm trying to reset hormones.

This is definitely a difficult hill to get over. Don't let the panicking win! I'm back to deficit Monday, and I hope my next diet break is less nervewracking. Hang in there!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    maybyn wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the responses.

I asked because I'm usually very low in sat fats most days (around 15-20g or so) and wondered whether it caused hormonal issues.

I've had and continue to have hair loss issues (because of hereditary reasons and made worse when I stopped BC). I've tried the supplements (biotin, kelp, Omega 3 and so on) but they didn't really help. TBH though, I never stuck to them for long anyway.

@anubis609, thanks for the links. I'll have a read through the articles.

@psuLemon, lol, I had to google to see what SFA meant and found the first result being Sweet Furry Animals!!! I finally scrolled down the results to saturated fatty acids. :)

ETA: I read through my last post and clearly did not say what I wanted to say! My sat fat is usually low and fat meets RDI%.

@maybyn I am really slow on the ball here and catching up on my reading.

For the hair loss, my issues are due to hypothyroidism. I use rogaine foam (max strength) every morning and at night, I use liquid biotin. It does not make my fine, thin hair greasy. Massage both into scalp.

In the shower I use Christophe Robin shampoo salt scrub. It’s amazing and whether it’s a placebo effect or not, I feel like getting getting my scalp clean makes a difference. There are several conditioning treatments I use because my other battle is dry hair. Message me and I can send you brands/types. At the gym right now and can’t remember specifics
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Also, I just had a lightbulb moment looking at my deficit and weight loss over the past seven weeks - the two weeks that I had bigger than expected losses were post TOM, so maybe increased BMR during second week of luteal phase explains it. Or some of it.

But anyway, according to my calculations, I've had a ~17000 cal deficit for that seven week period, which should be a 4.85 lb loss according to the 3500 'rule'. I've lost 6.4.

I don't really care if I'm losing slightly faster when I'm at a deficit, but diet break is meant to be at maintenance, so...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    I am beginning to be envious of women with a cycle now. I am cycle-less. Hormone-less almost. No menses for four years this year. I am only 43...funny I wished it away when I was younger, but now I kinda miss the womanly thing it is...my resting HR only goes up post heavy lifting or very stressful incidents. I used to get hotter at that time of the month and I guess the HR would go up then too...my resting HR is lower now and my temperature runs almost a degree cooler than it used to (which is ironic cos hot flushes, which are minimal now)....am looking into supplementing with DHEA. I do use black cohosh and tribulus at the moment and they seem to be minimising the hot flushes, etc...wow, wimmins shizz. Ha!

7 years for me... And I'm only 35. I often joke that'd I'd like to return my body and exchange it for a new one.. You can imagine my frustration at Dr's (more than one) who don't think there's anything wrong with me.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Okay, photo time

A wide variety of scenery today, including farmland

soh8heajygip.jpg

This little bridge was screaming out to have yoga done on it, but if you do yoga on a bridge and no one takes a photo, did you really do it? Also safety, blah, blah (I totally would have gotten up there if someone had been with me, and yes, I will be dragging a friend up that hill sometime so I can do just that)

ezy8npz6mwuy.jpg

It's important to know the names of the roads in a forest

aoaub9ip5w7i.jpg

tp4eemt3rtf5.jpg

Random abandoned thing (and foxgloves)

spw9kn5g75ll.jpg

The island, of course

bsfk1e5bep5g.jpg

And top of the South Island in the distance looking all misty and ethereal

h5mq2oxcy3pz.jpg

I do believe random thing is a plough.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options

I do believe random thing is a plough.

Here it would be called a disc. :) (US farmer's daughter)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Random thing is a disc plough, yes. Still random!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Oh, post-hike update - legs don't hate me, actually feel pretty good. Weight essentially the same (up 100g), which is a little unusual after a big walk and 3100 cals of food (355g of carbs), I'd normally expect some fluid retention from the hike at least, but not unheard of I guess. Only managed to achieve 81 cals over Fitbit TDEE.

I've noticed that I seem to have a delayed reaction to eating refeeds/eating more. My weight goes up more on the second day after my weekend refeeds than the first.

I have the same thing happen in response to lifting and the same thing in response to higher carb intake.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Oh, post-hike update - legs don't hate me, actually feel pretty good. Weight essentially the same (up 100g), which is a little unusual after a big walk and 3100 cals of food (355g of carbs), I'd normally expect some fluid retention from the hike at least, but not unheard of I guess. Only managed to achieve 81 cals over Fitbit TDEE.

I've noticed that I seem to have a delayed reaction to eating refeeds/eating more. My weight goes up more on the second day after my weekend refeeds than the first.

I have the same thing happen in response to lifting and the same thing in response to higher carb intake.

Huh, I wrote a reply to this. Obviously forgot to hit post!

Anyhoo, I go up a bit after day one of refeed, then a bit more after day two (ie Monday morning will usually be my highest weight for the week, unless there's other fluid retention things happening other days), and I'm dropping again by Tuesday. Exercise water weight I think is much the same, ie next day, though if I have DDOMS (delayed delayed onset muscle soreness) it can be a day later.

I guess we'll see what happens tomorrow!
  • VintageFeline
    Options

This is mostly my pattern too. Ish. As much of a pattern as I have outside of my monthly whoosh (when it deigns to make an appearance).
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    And I'm eating out tomorrow plus ice skating which I haven't done in about 15 years. The ice skating that is. I eat out/take out a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing what being fit does for me and how sore my legs are on Tuesday!