Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can you call an ambulance for somebody without their consent?

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
I went to the gym to spend my lunch hour swimming laps. As I was getting ready to turn into the plaza parking lot, somebody was coming down the sidewalk, about to cross the driveway. His leg was in a cast and on a walker. He stopped to let me go first, but he had the right of way, so I waved him to go. He did, or started to, a car came way too fast out of nowhere and hit him hard. I heard a terrible crunching noise.

I left my car where it was and ran to help the guy. People behind me lost their *kitten*, because they to go around.

The guy was obviously in shock. It wasn't obvious whether he was injured or not. To me, the only thing to do is go to the hospital, and that seemed really clear. But not to him. He struggled to get up, I had to lift him to his good foot. The driver was beside herself with remorse, she was real helpful too. I've been hit by a car on my bike, I know what it is to be hurt and confused and not understand what's happening, and I could see it in his face.

He just wanted to go home. I kept telling him he needs to see a doctor, they'll do x-rays, they'll have pain medicine, you might feel ok now but you'll want it in an hour. I offered to go pick up his wife or girlfriend or anyone else and bring them to to him. I took his phone, added my number as a contact with the name "witness."

I managed to talk him into going to the hospital. The lady that hit him drove, so he wouldn't have to wait for the ambulance to arrive (or pay $1,000 for the ride).

In the moment I didn't feel like I could call 911 without his permission. But it was clear that he wasn't able to make that decision at the time. I really hope I never see anything like this again, but, if I do, can I just call the ambulance immediately?

Replies

• crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    You can call the ambulance.

Whether he chooses to go to hospital for assessment or treatment is up to him, unless the paramedics think he is too injured (like unconscious, delerious, etc) to make up that decision in which case they can take him anyway.

Think about it a person unconscious on the footpall can't give consent, but you can still ring an ambulance as it's a medical emergency.

• NorthCascades
    Thanks everyone.
    yes otherwise you wouldn't be allowed to call an ambulance for a passed out person

I think it's a little different because he kept saying he thought he was ok and didn't need anything but to get out of there. But it's still a good point, and I guess it's also a good point people have raised, that he would be able to deny care when they arrived, but I still would have done my duty as a human being by calling them.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Of course you can! You should ALWAYS call 911 after you witness an accident.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    As others have said, you don't need his permission. He has the right to refuse ambulance transport. You have the right to summon EMS. His rights vis EMS do not supercede your rights (and legal obligations, in some jurisdictions).
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2017
    No, you don't need his permission. Once on the scene, the patient can refuse the trip to the hospital, and if the EMTs feel comfortable releasing him, they will. He doesn't have to pay for the ride to the hospital. But they might find evidence of trauma that a lay person can't tell, so they are the best people to evaluate and make that call. So if something like that happens, no, you don't need permission. Call.

Not sure where you live but where I'm from there is a pretty hefty fee for a ride in an ambulance. The injured person may not have to pay, but someone will.

I had an ambulance show up on scene after the police called them to triage after I fell in the street and got a nasty gash in my forehead (I just tripped over my feet and fell flat on my face one day while I was out walking).

That triage to tell me to go to a $35 urgent care visit where I got stitched up cost us $150.

I didn't want an ambulance called, but it was standard police procedure. I kind of wish the police hadn't been passing by!

Then there was the time I fell and broke my ankle very badly. You bet I was happy for the ambulance at that point. That was a bill we happily paid. It was a really bad fracture and I broke it going down the steps into the swimming pool. There was no way I could move on my own. I was happy people called for one then.

Oh, I just remembered another one. I was pregnant with my first and had hyperemesis. I was so sick I couldn't even stand up. My husband was over an hour away at work and the only nearby help was my elderly mother in law and her sister.

I needed to get to the ER to get IV fluids. She and her sister weren't strong enough to support me to get me to the car. Ambulance time! I didn't want it, she insisted and said she'd pay for it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    No, you don't need his permission. Once on the scene, the patient can refuse the trip to the hospital, and if the EMTs feel comfortable releasing him, they will. He doesn't have to pay for the ride to the hospital. But they might find evidence of trauma that a lay person can't tell, so they are the best people to evaluate and make that call. So if something like that happens, no, you don't need permission. Call.

Not sure where you live but where I'm from there is a pretty hefty fee for a ride in an ambulance. The injured person may not have to pay, but someone will.

I had an ambulance show up on scene after the police called them to triage after I fell in the street and got a nasty gash in my forehead (I just tripped over my feet and fell flat on my face one day while I was out walking).

That triage to tell me to go to a $35 urgent care visit where I got stitched up cost us $150.

I didn't want an ambulance called, but it was standard police procedure. I kind of wish the police hadn't been passing by!

Unfortunately, in this day and age of lawyers and 'sue happy' people, even the cops have to cover their *kitten* in situations like this. The same thing happened to my stepson - he got in a fight and punched out a window, the cops were called, an ambulance was called and it cost us $600 dollars...
  • NorthCascades
    Great stuff in this thread. Sad that this is the kind of thing you have to be prepared to deal with in modern life. The town I work in seems to have especially aggressive drivers. The guy probably wasn't trying to let me go out of politeness, he probably thought I'd hit him if he didn't give up his right of way. It's a sickening irony that if I had gone and have him wait, he would have been out of harm's way when the other driver came around.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    I've had to take Red Cross first aid/cpr training several times for my job. You might find this helpful.
    http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/first-aid/perfoming-first-aid/first-aid-steps
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited October 2017
    You absolutely have the right to activate emergency response, but in this case the patient went to the hospital on their own. You did well - please continue to do so.

People in accidents (or any traumatic event) are rarely in their right minds due to the body's response to trauma. Blood to the extremities is limited, so people lose peripheral vision, hearing, cognitive thought, fine motor skills, and all higher reasoning.

Most Local/State laws have some manner of Good Samaritan laws in place to protect civilians from liability from taking reasonable actions to aid the injured. Need to check with your area to see what your laws are.