Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can you call an ambulance for somebody without their consent?

Options

Replies

• KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. My neighbor called an ambulance on me when I was unconscious and was losing my ability to breath during and after a grand mal seizure. I woke out of it while being rushed to the hospital with oxygen attached. I'd probably be dead if it wasn't for her.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    General rule, if someone has been in a situation where they are, as you mentioned, likely in shock or have had an injury to the head - call an ambulance. The person cannot be trusted to be mentally capable of accurately judging their physical state. They MAY be correct that they are fine, but there is no way to be sure from the outside, and they should be considered to be a in a compromised mental state.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Not only can you do so, but you really ought to do so as a witness to a criminal act resulting in the injury of a person. The police and medical emergency responders both will be notified when you call 911.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Not only can you do so, but you really ought to do so as a witness to a criminal act resulting in the injury of a person. The police and medical emergency responders both will be notified when you call 911.

An accident is not necessarily "criminal." You can be liable and civilly responsible for an accident without having committed an actual crime.

qzm4r8qx0o7s.gif

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    You absolutely have the right to activate emergency response, but in this case the patient went to the hospital on their own. You did well - please continue to do so.

People in accidents (or any traumatic event) are rarely in their right minds due to the body's response to trauma. Blood to the extremities is limited, so people lose peripheral vision, hearing, cognitive thought, fine motor skills, and all higher reasoning.

Most Local/State laws have some manner of Good Samaritan laws in place to protect civilians from liability from taking reasonable actions to aid the injured. Need to check with your area to see what your laws are.

You need laws for this? :o
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    You absolutely have the right to activate emergency response, but in this case the patient went to the hospital on their own. You did well - please continue to do so.

People in accidents (or any traumatic event) are rarely in their right minds due to the body's response to trauma. Blood to the extremities is limited, so people lose peripheral vision, hearing, cognitive thought, fine motor skills, and all higher reasoning.

Most Local/State laws have some manner of Good Samaritan laws in place to protect civilians from liability from taking reasonable actions to aid the injured. Need to check with your area to see what your laws are.

YES! People have been sued for doing chest compressions/rescue breathing and Heimlich.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Wow what a strange dilemma.
    In France it is a criminal offence if you dont give aid.
    And of course your insurance will cover all medical bills.
    The poor or unisured, will receive treatment paid mostly by the State.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I might chime in....

I am American and proud to be an American. But, I find it somewhat funny that we are worried about "legal issues" with this type of situation. And, then on top of that, civil liability.

The OP did the right thing. Absolutely. I mean, you never know and there could be internal injuries that we can not see/readily identify. And we all have likely seen someone in shock before....they can NOT make any decisions. How badly would you feel if you did nothing and something bad happened to that person, something that *could* have been avoided?

I am admittedly ignorant as to the laws here (in North Carolina) as to who pays for what but I have seen - three different times - a person faint or pass out and someone did the right thing and called 911 and the Police and EMT came and - in each event - the person denied service. Their reason (in all three cases): I ain't paying that bill!

So, is this a medical system issue or a legal issue? Or, both?

I don't have that answer. Or, any answer, for that matter. I am more conservative in nature *BUT* I did live in Germany for several years. Not sure. I just find it a bit silly that we are worried about legal responsibility here. And, not picking on the OP. Absolutely not. She absolutely did the right thing. To me, that should not even be a question as to what to do (you call 100 times out of 100 - without hesitation or being prompted to do something....seconds can make a difference).

So, this is a very interesting thread to me.

I grew up in California and I know of a lot of EMT Service Providers that go out of business because no one ever pays. Not siding with them....just sharing that information.

I really and truly look forward to other's comments....
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options

YES! People have been sued for doing chest compressions/rescue breathing and Heimlich.

Jeez......!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    tomteboda wrote: »

An accident is not necessarily "criminal." You can be liable and civilly responsible for an accident without having committed an actual crime.

qzm4r8qx0o7s.gif

I'm pretty sure anyone who hits a pedestrian with a vehicle is going to get cited for something. Whether it's criminal or civil is for the police to decide, but they need to be notified. And as others have said, a person in shock is not in a position to clearly evaluate their medical need.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Jeez......!

Sad but true - this is one of the primary drivers of healthcare costs in the US as 40-60% of a frontline healthcare professional's income goes to liability insurance.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    op, just to say i like your consideration for the guy's global picture even while you were so concerned about his safety/health. can't say anything about the legalities in america though.

in canada ambulance is a private service, NOT covered as a 'doctor or hospital service'. so an unexpected 85 bucks can be a big surprise to some people's budget.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    op, just to say i like your consideration for the guy's global picture even while you were so concerned about his safety/health. can't say anything about the legalities in america though.

in canada ambulance is a private service, NOT covered as a 'doctor or hospital service'. so an unexpected 85 bucks can be a big surprise to some people's budget.

I wish it were only $85!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

An ambulance ride is $85 in Canada? In the U.S., the absolute minimum would be somewhere in the $400-$500 range. And that's if they just walk you to the ambulance, lay you on a gurney and give you a ride straight to the hospital. If there's any level of medical care/life support rendered in the ambulance along the way, the cost goes up exponentially. And if you have to be medevac'ed by air (helicopter), figure on a bare minimum of $2000-$2500.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    An ambulance ride is $85 in Canada?

far as i know. not like i've had to make a habit of riding in them, touch wood. i should probably have said 'in my province' since idek if it varies by that.

in any case, my point was just that i liked the op for thinking about the poor guy's global life regardless of what the specific price-tag would be where he is.
  • Knokr
    Knokr Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You can call but they can refuse care. If a person is passed out then it’s considered implied consent.