Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

This decades “health woo”

Options

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    P.S. I'm in a budget supermarket right now, shopping for lunch.

My choices are confined to single cream, double cream, vanilla custard, soured cream, crème fraîche, fat reduced crème fraîche and something called real dairy cream which comes in a can. Light "real dairy cream" in a can is out of stock.

This was Helium, reporting live from Aldi, England. You can support me on Patreon.

I absolutely love tinned cream even though it tastes nothing like fresh cream!
    The worst possible version has to be Bird's Dream Topping but I'm probably showing my age. The bitter disappointment, as a child, of being offered cream which turned out to be dream topping has never left me
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

My choices are confined to single cream, double cream, vanilla custard, soured cream, crème fraîche, fat reduced crème fraîche and something called real dairy cream which comes in a can. Light "real dairy cream" in a can is out of stock.

This was Helium, reporting live from Aldi, England. You can support me on Patreon.

The worst possible version has to be Bird's Dream Topping but I'm probably showing my age. The bitter disappointment, as a child, of being offered cream which turned out to be dream topping has never left me
    My mother-in-law bought a pack of that to do baking with the children the summer before last. Then she gave me the half-used packet to use up.

Reader, it's still in the cupboard.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OK but it is good to know FULL-FAT MILK COULD CUT RISK OF STROKE, HEART ATTACK, STUDY SAYS. In light of this study perhaps Heavy Whipping Cream use could do even more to reduce risk of stroke and heart attack.

Yes, it's interesting to know. It will be interesting to see if it is replicated in other studies, it will be interesting to see if there is a benefit if we can further determine what exactly is providing the benefit. But why would you assume on the strength of this study alone that heavy whipping cream would do even more?

Could it have something to do with the fact that you're constantly promoting the consumption of heavy whipping cream anyway?

Higher fat content of fatty acids.

WM has dropped HWC by the half gallon and the quart size is the price of a half gallon of half and half so no WOE change in coffee. Well that's what I get at McDonald's with my two quarter pound fresh beef with mustard.

Given what we know so far, that seems like a pretty big assumption.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

For some reason my eyeballs read that as "Bird's Dropping Topping." :D No correlation to the actual product, I am sure.

I believe in the US we have a wide variety of tinned and condensed and condensed sweetened creams and such. They are very handy for making a cheesecake.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    OK but it is good to know FULL-FAT MILK COULD CUT RISK OF STROKE, HEART ATTACK, STUDY SAYS. In light of this study perhaps Heavy Whipping Cream use could do even more to reduce risk of stroke and heart attack.

Yes, it's interesting to know. It will be interesting to see if it is replicated in other studies, it will be interesting to see if there is a benefit if we can further determine what exactly is providing the benefit. But why would you assume on the strength of this study alone that heavy whipping cream would do even more?

Could it have something to do with the fact that you're constantly promoting the consumption of heavy whipping cream anyway?

Higher fat content of fatty acids.

What? What does that even mean, what is it in relation to? It sounds odd to say fat content of fatty acids. Like saying the water content of H2O. At best I could think you could mean that some fats will have a glyceride on them, so essentially there are fats with less fatty acids, but I don't think that is what you're talking about.

chemistryexplained.com/Di-Fa/Fats-and-Fatty-Acids.html
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

urgh - gipping! my mum used to serve that up. #notcream

eta: I just remembered another brand of #notcream : Tip Top anyone else remember that particular crime against food?

• amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil.....saturated fat is good...okaaaayyyy..
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

eta: I just remembered another brand of #notcream : Tip Top anyone else remember that particular crime against food?

I see your Dream Topping, and raise you Cool Whip :'(

Dream Whip topping mix (powder in packets) is pretty awful, and still - somewhat to my surprise - still available in the US. I remembered it from childhood, and thought it long gone - but just searched and found it's still made, and available at Walmart (among others). I won't be buying any.

I assume it's similar to what others are talking about, available in other places.
    INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, DEXTROSE, PALM KERNEL OIL, DRIED CORN SYRUP, MODIFIED CORNSTARCH, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE (EMULSIFIER), SODIUM CASEINATE (FROM MILK), ACETYLATED MONOGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIER), CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF WATER, SODIUM ALUMINOSILICATE (ANTICAKING AGENT), MODIFIED CELLULOSE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES (EMULSIFIER), CELLULOSE GEL, CELLULOSE GUM, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, NATURAL FLAVOR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR INCLUDING YELLOW 5 AND YELLOW 6.

Yum? Not!

(Sorry about the shouty-caps: Came from the source site.)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Argggh, has a childhood yen to see if dream topping was as bad as I thought as a child (uk). Found a tub of dream whip (Canada) to test.

One spoonful taken out, the rest is somewhere in the back of the freezer.

It was just as I remembered.

(Also had to test Heinz ketchup (Canada) which I can’t stand, against Heinz tomato sauce (uk) still like, even though it is now ketchup (I think))

Cheers, h.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

For some reason my eyeballs read that as "Bird's Dropping Topping." :D No correlation to the actual product, I am sure.

I believe in the US we have a wide variety of tinned and condensed and condensed sweetened creams and such. They are very handy for making a cheesecake.

No, Birds dropping topping is a much better description
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options

Do you pronounce the H in that? :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options

I hate the H out of it: Is that similar? ;)
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I hate the H out of it: Is that similar? ;)

:D
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I keep checking in to see if we're still talking about food. I am not disappointed.