AnvilHead wrote: »
    No.

This ^
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    skymningen wrote: »
    You are right. Not all calories are created equal. Some come from carbs, others from fat, others from protein. Some come from food, others from drinks. But then... they are metabolised and used as energy, which we count in this case as calories.
    Now, let's say they became a calorie. In fact, now they are equal. There are exact rules what a 'calorie' is. They are not treated equal, but that is based on your bodies needs, not in where they came from. After the basic metabolism, your body does not remember how they were created. A calorie from chocolate might be stored if it is not immediately needed. Or it might be used up in an instant. Eventually all of them will be used. Storage is kind of expensive, you know.You have to actually expend calories to move all those stored ones. Same with a calorie from broccoli or a chia seed. At this point it all depends on what your body needs.
    Of course the foods your calories came from are made of different building blocks and thus give your body different prerequisites to work with. Some are metabolised into usable energy faster, some slower. Some bring building blocks that are important at that point, some just bring additional lipids (fats). But all of this will be used or excreted eventually. The calories are not created equal, but they live in a nice world of equality. Don't discriminate them.

You're confusing "calories" with "nutrients". A calorie is a unit of measure, nothing more. A mile can be uphill, downhill, on a paved roadway or a steep, rocky mountainous trail, covered in snow, drenched in rain or baked in desert heat - but no matter what, it's still a mile. If I run it barefoot, drive it in a car or crawl it on my hands and knees over broken glass, it's still a mile. Calories are like that too.

That is why I wrote this:
    But then... they are metabolised and used as energy, which we count in this case as calories.

And this
    There are exact rules what a 'calorie' is.
    Maybe I should have written "measure" not count. But that is exactly the point. A calorie is a unit of energy. But this energy is 'created' from different things.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif

Like all inches are not created equal.

My point exactly ... o:)>:)
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    ... and now for something completely different ...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Nothing but catch phrases and cliches. Wrong wrong and wrong...