All Calories are not created equal!

Options

Replies

• evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I think its more mental for me. When I added in sweet/regular potatoes and rice I "felt" like I was eating too much so it seemed like the scale just confirmed it. My anxiety has gone through the roof. Maybe it isnt the carbs. Im going to take a week off weightlifting, stop the creatine, drop calories and carbs until I start losing again then slowly add back on those variables. I might change my opinion of carbs haha. It would be fantastic if I see a woosh and it confirms that its just water weight!!!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Actually carbs are the easiest for ALL people to burn, not just extreme athletes.

If you would like some real information on the subject read this:
    https://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/nutrient-intake-nutrient-storage-and-nutrient-oxidation.html/

ovspxxv5v2h7.png
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I think its more mental for me. When I added in sweet/regular potatoes and rice I "felt" like I was eating too much so it seemed like the scale just confirmed it. My anxiety has gone through the roof. Maybe it isnt the carbs. Im going to take a week off weightlifting, stop the creatine, drop calories and carbs until I start losing again then slowly add back on those variables. I might change my opinion of carbs haha. It would be fantastic if I see a woosh and it confirms that its just water weight!!!

Then when you start them all back up again, you'll "gain". Quit flopping all over the place. Trust the process. It's science.

^This.
  • zachsus
    zachsus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Food is not created equal, calories are. Eat a pound of spinach leaves, it's hardly any calories and it'll most likely fill you up. Now try eating a pound of chocolate. Or the other way around, eat 150 calories worth of chocolate, then switch it up and do the same with some green veggies, guess what's gonna fill you up more.

There are people in the fitness community who owe their whole success to the fact that a calorie is a calorie, a.k.a. IIFYM a.k.a. losing weight on burgers and stuff.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I know everyone is looking at CICO as the golden rule but maybe some people handle carbs better than others? I recently upped my carbs but stayed under my calorie goal every day and really should have lost at least a full pound in the last 10 days but instead maintained (or gained .5 lb depending on which morning weigh in I want to use) I weigh and measure all of my food meticulously so I know Im not eating more than I think. Im having a bit of a nervous breakdown not seeing my expected results. Im dropping my carbs today :)

Every gram of carbohydrate retains around 3 grams of water. So if you increase your carb intake, you also increase your water weight. That is why weight goes up when you increase carb intake, and it's also why people experience these "spectacular" losses in the beginning stages of a keto diet. When you reduce carbohydrate intake, you also alter (reduce) your body's water/glycogen balance. So when somebody loses 7 pounds in their first week of a keto diet, congratulate them on their water loss because that's all it is.

Does 1g carb = 1g glycogen? I always thought the relationship was between glycogen and water.