All Calories are not created equal!

Options

Replies

• evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I know everyone is looking at CICO as the golden rule but maybe some people handle carbs better than others? I recently upped my carbs but stayed under my calorie goal every day and really should have lost at least a full pound in the last 10 days but instead maintained (or gained .5 lb depending on which morning weigh in I want to use) I weigh and measure all of my food meticulously so I know Im not eating more than I think. Im having a bit of a nervous breakdown not seeing my expected results. Im dropping my carbs today :)

Every gram of carbohydrate retains around 3 grams of water. So if you increase your carb intake, you also increase your water weight. That is why weight goes up when you increase carb intake, and it's also why people experience these "spectacular" losses in the beginning stages of a keto diet. When you reduce carbohydrate intake, you also alter (reduce) your body's water/glycogen balance. So when somebody loses 7 pounds in their first week of a keto diet, congratulate them on their water loss because that's all it is.

That is very interesting!!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    I know everyone is looking at CICO as the golden rule but maybe some people handle carbs better than others? I recently upped my carbs but stayed under my calorie goal every day and really should have lost at least a full pound in the last 10 days but instead maintained (or gained .5 lb depending on which morning weigh in I want to use) I weigh and measure all of my food meticulously so I know Im not eating more than I think. Im having a bit of a nervous breakdown not seeing my expected results. Im dropping my carbs today :)

Every gram of carbohydrate retains around 3 grams of water. So if you increase your carb intake, you also increase your water weight. That is why weight goes up when you increase carb intake, and it's also why people experience these "spectacular" losses in the beginning stages of a keto diet. When you reduce carbohydrate intake, you also alter (reduce) your body's water/glycogen balance. So when somebody loses 7 pounds in their first week of a keto diet, congratulate them on their water loss because that's all it is.

Does 1g carb = 1g glycogen? I always thought the relationship was between glycogen and water.

Glycogen is the principal storage form of carbohydrate in the body (along with starches). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK9879/

[ETA:] Carbs are composed of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. The basic formula/chemical structure for simple sugars (monosaccharides) is CH20 (see the H2O part in there?) The name "carbohydrate" is derived from C="carbo" and H20 = "hydrate".
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Why do people feel the need to beat this topic like a dead horse?

A calorie is a calorie, just like a mile is a mile. Doesn't matter where it comes from. Still 1 calorie.

And OP, what professional certification do you have to keep making these posts? Are you just trying to start "kitten"?
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying is eating in a caloric deficit made you lose weight?

Basically that's exactly what she's saying.

Her argument even states that she eats these 'better calories' because with 150 calories she's full. And that's what people can't seem to understand....if you eat nothing but vegetables and chicken you're very likely to lose weight because they are not calorie dense. It's very hard to eat 2000+ calories on that diet. There's nothing magical about chicken or veggies (as it pertains to weight loss). They just fill you up faster on less calories.

She's describing a diet that is probably 1000 calories a day and that's why she's losing weight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Wrenranae wrote: »
    Hello again! :) Today I want to go through some words of wisdom I received from a very smart Weight and Fitness coach. “It is NOT how many "calories" you eat, but what they are made up of.
    All calories are not created equal.
    You have calories your body uses almost totally. These are your healthy proteins, fish, chicken, tofu, eggs to name a few. Your fruits such as any citrus are very healthy and low carb and calorie, and your vegetables especially green ones and non-starchy. Your body uses these to live and build immune systems.
    Fast carbs such as breads, (white especially), white rice, pastas, potatoes, all are high in carbohydrates and turn into fat easiest as your body does not use them unless you are a runner or heavy exercise person then it converts to energy as you work out. That is why marathon runners carb-load.
    Most of us however are not in this category so all the high calorie carbohydrates in our diet stop us from losing weight.
    I do eat the carbohydrates but in very minimal portions of no more than 35 carbs per meal. I also limit the eating of high carbs to two days a week, usually one meal per day.
    By focusing on the high proteins which for 3-4 ounces are usually less than 150 calories and around 25-30 proteins with 0 carbohydrates, I fill up totally and it takes my body a few hours to digest it and therefore I am not hungry again so fast. By planning high proteins and low carbs I eat three very satisfying meals of a very good quantity and low calories.
    Following this I have lost an additional 16 pounds this year to add to my prior 140 pound loss from 2010-2015 year end.
    So my rule of thumb: It is not HOW MANY calories you consume per day BUT what they consist of.
    Be blessed and be a blessing!

YES!! You don't know how many times I've read things like "oh, you can eat [insert garbage "food" here] and still lose weight" uh, yeah, but VITAMINS AND NUTRIENTS...how does that work?! How much sodium is in that cheezeburger vs those carrots...and look how many veggies you can consume vs that small order of fries!!!

Can't tell if you're trolling, a fake account or shill to support the op's cause, or just straight-up clueless about how nutrition works.

I think the latter, based on what I'm seeing in other threads.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Hello again! :) Today I want to go through some words of wisdom I received from a very smart Weight and Fitness coach. “It is NOT how many "calories" you eat, but what they are made up of.
    You have calories your body uses almost totally. These are your healthy proteins, fish, chicken, tofu, eggs to name a few. Your fruits such as any citrus are very healthy and low carb and calorie, and your vegetables especially green ones and non-starchy. Your body uses these to live and build immune systems.
    Fast carbs such as breads, (white especially), white rice, pastas, potatoes, all are high in carbohydrates and turn into fat easiest as your body does not use them unless you are a runner or heavy exercise person then it converts to energy as you work out. That is why marathon runners carb-load.
    Most of us however are not in this category so all the high calorie carbohydrates in our diet stop us from losing weight.
    I do eat the carbohydrates but in very minimal portions of no more than 35 carbs per meal. I also limit the eating of high carbs to two days a week, usually one meal per day.
    By focusing on the high proteins which for 3-4 ounces are usually less than 150 calories and around 25-30 proteins with 0 carbohydrates, I fill up totally and it takes my body a few hours to digest it and therefore I am not hungry again so fast. By planning high proteins and low carbs I eat three very satisfying meals of a very good quantity and low calories.
    Following this I have lost an additional 16 pounds this year to add to my prior 140 pound loss from 2010-2015 year end.
    So my rule of thumb: It is not HOW MANY calories you consume per day BUT what they consist of.

YES!! You don't know how many times I've read things like "oh, you can eat [insert garbage "food" here] and still lose weight" uh, yeah, but VITAMINS AND NUTRIENTS...how does that work?! How much sodium is in that cheezeburger vs those carrots...and look how many veggies you can consume vs that small order of fries!!!

Can't tell if you're trolling, a fake account or shill to support the op's cause, or just straight-up clueless about how nutrition works.

I think the latter, based on what I'm seeing in other threads.

or you could look at her about me page, see this statement:

'Wanna tell the poisonous GMO manufacturers to go f*** themselves'

and get a pretty good idea of where she is coming from...

Checked that out. There are some interesting contradictions there. :|
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

What if I told you I eat veggies AND fries AND get both nutrients AND yumminess. Also, potatoes are full of good stuff, deep frying doesn't change that, just makes them more calorie dense.

And if I'm trying to hit protein and carb goals, that cheeseburger is a pretty good choice.

For real! I don't know why everyone always kitten talks french fries. They are the perfect food.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    CICO... simple. I eat the same things I've always ate, just in smaller portions and I continue to lose weight. There is nothing you HAVE to eat in order to lose weight.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

read the post about the twinkie diet and the guys blood results, then get back to me