All Calories are not created equal!

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Wrenranae wrote: »
    Hello again! :) Today I want to go through some words of wisdom I received from a very smart Weight and Fitness coach. “It is NOT how many "calories" you eat, but what they are made up of.
    All calories are not created equal.
    You have calories your body uses almost totally. These are your healthy proteins, fish, chicken, tofu, eggs to name a few. Your fruits such as any citrus are very healthy and low carb and calorie, and your vegetables especially green ones and non-starchy. Your body uses these to live and build immune systems.
    Fast carbs such as breads, (white especially), white rice, pastas, potatoes, all are high in carbohydrates and turn into fat easiest as your body does not use them unless you are a runner or heavy exercise person then it converts to energy as you work out. That is why marathon runners carb-load.
    Most of us however are not in this category so all the high calorie carbohydrates in our diet stop us from losing weight.
    I do eat the carbohydrates but in very minimal portions of no more than 35 carbs per meal. I also limit the eating of high carbs to two days a week, usually one meal per day.
    By focusing on the high proteins which for 3-4 ounces are usually less than 150 calories and around 25-30 proteins with 0 carbohydrates, I fill up totally and it takes my body a few hours to digest it and therefore I am not hungry again so fast. By planning high proteins and low carbs I eat three very satisfying meals of a very good quantity and low calories.
    Following this I have lost an additional 16 pounds this year to add to my prior 140 pound loss from 2010-2015 year end.
    So my rule of thumb: It is not HOW MANY calories you consume per day BUT what they consist of.
    Be blessed and be a blessing!

YES!! You don't know how many times I've read things like "oh, you can eat [insert garbage "food" here] and still lose weight" uh, yeah, but VITAMINS AND NUTRIENTS...how does that work?! How much sodium is in that cheezeburger vs those carrots...and look how many veggies you can consume vs that small order of fries!!!

read the post about the twinkie diet and the guys blood results, then get back to me

Ot but this made "The Twinkie Diet" sound to me like a massacre of some kind. :lol:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    skymningen wrote: »
    You are right. Not all calories are created equal. Some come from carbs, others from fat, others from protein. Some come from food, others from drinks. But then... they are metabolised and used as energy, which we count in this case as calories.
    Now, let's say they became a calorie. In fact, now they are equal. There are exact rules what a 'calorie' is. They are not treated equal, but that is based on your bodies needs, not in where they came from. After the basic metabolism, your body does not remember how they were created. A calorie from chocolate might be stored if it is not immediately needed. Or it might be used up in an instant. Eventually all of them will be used. Storage is kind of expensive, you know.You have to actually expend calories to move all those stored ones. Same with a calorie from broccoli or a chia seed. At this point it all depends on what your body needs.
    Of course the foods your calories came from are made of different building blocks and thus give your body different prerequisites to work with. Some are metabolised into usable energy faster, some slower. Some bring building blocks that are important at that point, some just bring additional lipids (fats). But all of this will be used or excreted eventually. The calories are not created equal, but they live in a nice world of equality. Don't discriminate them.

You're confusing "calories" with "nutrients". A calorie is a unit of measure, nothing more. A mile can be uphill, downhill, on a paved roadway or a steep, rocky mountainous trail, covered in snow, drenched in rain or baked in desert heat - but no matter what, it's still a mile. If I run it barefoot, drive it in a car or crawl it on my hands and knees over broken glass, it's still a mile. Calories are like that too.

Hah I swear I wrote my comment before I read yours, just happened upon the same analogy you came up with.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Forget your popcorn, pass the peanut butter cups........

Why not both? :D (I love mixing popcorn, sweets and chocolates together and getting all three in one mouthful!)

Popcorn and chocolate-covered raisins for the win.
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    yo how many calories in a human leg? and nutrition facts. I need it for.....reasons... :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is looking at CICO as the golden rule but maybe some people handle carbs better than others? I recently upped my carbs but stayed under my calorie goal every day and really should have lost at least a full pound in the last 10 days but instead maintained (or gained .5 lb depending on which morning weigh in I want to use) I weigh and measure all of my food meticulously so I know Im not eating more than I think. Im having a bit of a nervous breakdown not seeing my expected results. Im dropping my carbs today :)
    If you were low carb eating, depletion of glycogen in your cells is NOT uncommon. By reintroducing carbs back into your system, you also reintroduce more water and glycogen storage. It's common to gain up to 10lbs of glycogen and water storage if you've been on a low/no carb diet for a long period of time.
    Point is, physiologically the human body handles carbs (barring any health issue) pretty much all the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Wrenranae wrote: »
    “It is NOT how many "calories" you eat, but what they are made up of.

What exactly are calories made up of...?