3 Ingredient Healthy Cookies!

Options
_AshLynn
_AshLynn Posts: 134 Member
edited October 2017 in Food and Nutrition
3 Ingredient Cookies - Simple, Delicious, & Healthy!
For my first official blog post I have a family favorite recipe to share. Alright, so oatmeal might not sound too exciting at first. But, if you are searching for a healthy & kid friendly treat to add to your routine this is a MUST try for you.

I was looking for a way to make cookies healthier, but still be delicious enough to be considered a cookie by my 7 and 1 year old boys, which is how this recipe evolved. These 3 ingredient oatmeal cookies capture just enough of the sweet cookie profile, and offers a good source of protein and fiber.

These cookies are even healthy enough to be served even as easy on the go breakfast bars or muffins (which you could substitute the chocolate chips for raisins or nuts...or keep the chocolate!) I make this recipe into breakfast bars or muffins at least once a week to pack for my husband. He works really early in the morning, and healthy breakfast options that are quick and easy to pack up are always a win.

RECIPE:

Ingredients:
- Banana, 1 large
- Oatmeal, 3/4 Cup
- Chocolate Chips, 1 Tablespoon

Directions:
1. Take 1 large banana in a large bowl, use a fork or whisk to smash the banana until it becomes the consistency of a smoothie. At this point you can add the optional dash of cinnamon and/or vanilla extract for more flavor.

2. Add 3/4 Cup of instant oatmeal, and stir together. If it seems like there is a lot of "banana liquid" left and the mixture is extremely wet you can always add a little more oatmeal.

3. Add in 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips, and stir.

4. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with a nonstick spray. From here you can take small portions of the mixture and shape the mix with your hands into a cookie shape. If you would prefer making this into a muffin, you can use nonstick spray in a muffin pan and fill the tins (this usually makes about 3 muffins).

4. Place into a preheated oven of 350 degrees for 20 minutes. After the time is up take them out of the oven, and let them sit for about 10 minutes.

5. ENJOY!!!

**For our chocolate chips, we use Enjoy Life Chocolate chips, which are dairy-free! I try to make vegan options for the boys as much as possible, which is a great choice if you are sharing with others who might have different allergies like milk, eggs, nuts, etc. In today's society you can never be too careful with food allergies around little ones.

Simple, easy, healthy, and delicious! I hope you test out this recipe, and let me know what you think!

[edited by mods]

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I was expecting peanut butter, eggs, and stevia.... maybe chocolate chips too. ;)

Thanks for sharing it, but as someone with insulin resistance, those cookies are almost completely carbs so I would have to skip them.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    If anyone is going to try these, don't expect them to have the texture of what you normally think of as a cookie.

I like bananas, and I like banana nut bread, but I think the flavor would just be overpowering in this, and not a flavor I would care for in my chocolate chip "cookies."
  • _AshLynn
    Options
    I saw a message my last post was against some mfp rules so I reposted this thinking it was deleted. Sorry for the double post!
  • MissTrina2017
    MissTrina2017 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm intrigued...I'm definitely going to try these!
  • _AshLynn
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Tried them when I started MFP. Straight to the garbage.

Oh no! My kids love them haha. I just like them for a healthier option to serve & I enjoy them too. Sorry you had a bad experience!
  • _AshLynn
    Options
    If anyone is going to try these, don't expect them to have the texture of what you normally think of as a cookie.

I like bananas, and I like banana nut bread, but I think the flavor would just be overpowering in this, and not a flavor I would care for in my chocolate chip "cookies."

Yeah. They have a different texture, but for some it's a good alternative for a sweet treat. You should try them! But thanks for the comment!
  • _AshLynn
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I was expecting peanut butter, eggs, and stevia.... maybe chocolate chips too. ;)

Thanks for sharing it, but as someone with insulin resistance, those cookies are almost completely carbs so I would have to skip them.

Oh no! Sorry you have to deal with that. I'm vegan & my diet is typically 70% carbs 20% fat & 10% protein. So I feel like most of my shares would be higher carbs. Do you need higher protein intake in your diet because of the IR?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    _AshLynn wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Oh no! Sorry you have to deal with that. I'm vegan & my diet is typically 70% carbs 20% fat & 10% protein. So I feel like most of my shares would be higher carbs. Do you need higher protein intake in your diet because of the IR?
    No, just lower carb.

BTW, I love Enjoy Life products too. We have a lot of food issues in our house and those fit well.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    _AshLynn wrote: »
    I saw a message my last post was against some mfp rules so I reposted this thinking it was deleted. Sorry for the double post!

Well, double-posting* is against MFP rules. I'm no expert on the opaque application of MFP rules in general, but's it's hard to see what other rule this post could generate. Somebody might have suggested it should be in the recipes forum, not the food and nutrition forum, but I don't think that's a "rule," per se, just that the moderators will sometimes move a thread to a more appropriate space.

*ETA: "double-posting in the sense of one user starting the exact same thread more than once.
  • _AshLynn
    Options
    I like them. You can also try browies from just a box of mix and a can of pumpkin. My son likes them as drop cookies. I’m thinking about mixing in some oats and pumpkin pie spice and seeing what I get.

That sounds amazing! I'll need to research that
  • _AshLynn
    edited October 2017
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    I tried these and I found that I enjoyed eating the 'dough' the next morning after it soaked for a bit! Super good :)

That's a great idea..I'll try that maybe next time I get a batch of these going. I'll have to save a portion for myself.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I made some tonight using one of the many frozen bananas I have in my freezer (frozen before they get too ripe). I thought they were OK especially for 20 calories each (can't go wrong with chocolate chips). My 3 year old grandson liked them (and loved the dough). Thanks for the idea.
  • _AshLynn
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    I made some tonight using one of the many frozen bananas I have in my freezer (frozen before they get too ripe). I thought they were OK especially for 20 calories each (can't go wrong with chocolate chips). My 3 year old grandson liked them (and loved the dough). Thanks for the idea.

That is so awesome! I suppose the whole diet/fitness thing is sometimes a compromise haha. But I am excited you tried them and let us know! I love them for a kid friendly option for better cookies too!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, dry rolled oats, maple syrup.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    10% protein? What does that equate to in grams? Seems way low.
  • _AshLynn
    Options
    Peanut butter, dry rolled oats, maple syrup.

That sounds delicious! I will have to try that. I would definitely go light on the maple syrup, but thank you for sharing!