Online Dating!

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    A quick rundown of online dating

If you have the vaj and are even remotely aesthetically pleasing (say 5 and up/10), you get inundated with tons of emails. You pic the attractive pictures, delete the rest. Then check profiles to weed out the ones you reply to.

If you have the d, you send an email to every profile that has a remotely aesthetically pleasing pic hoping to make the cut, and rarely get a reply because the odds just aren't in your favor. However, if you are aesthetic (say 7 and up/10), you will get quite a few messages from 0-3 or so/10 thinking they have a shot.

Basically, as a female you can generally date 2-3 notches above your level (aesthetically speaking), whereas a male generally has to drop a couple notches below his level to have consistent results.

Call me shallow, but that is the reality as confirmed by personal experience as well as several others, male and female included.

From reading a massive dating thread elsewhere, it seems to be about right.

So, where can I get one of these vajs of which you speak?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online. He lived in the UK, and I lived in the US. We fell for each other pretty quickly, met face-to-face about 6 months later, and got married 8 months after that, which was nearly 5 years ago now. Ironically, I had been pretty fed up with the guys I'd been meeting online and only replied to his initial message because I thought, "Awesome, he's in England. That means nothing can happen between us."

There's no reason online dating can't work if you just use the same common sense you'd use in any dating situation. People you meet "in real life" can lie to you about who they are. Just be smart about it.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on OkCupid.com in 2008 :heart: We moved in together a few months later because we lived in different states. We were married in September of 2010.

I had talked to at least 100 different people on OKCupid in the 2 years I had been on there and I was sick of it. I was planning to delete my profile the day I saw him under the "new to okcupid" category. And then I read his profile and it made me laugh. His picture was interesting (he was doing parkour). He's my best friend and messaging him was one of the best decisions I've ever made.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Hi there :flowerforyou:

I met my other half on a dating website. Yes there are "the unstable and creepy" as someone pointed out earlier, but there are also a great many nice and normal people. Sadly there is still a little bit of a stigma about people joining dating websites. I think some people still like to make fun of it, think you must be desperate or there is something 'wrong' with those who are on them.

As with people you meet through other ways in life (at work, going out, via hobbies...) there will be some you have stuff in common with and where you have an instant rapport, and then of course there will be those where that's not the case. Yes I was approached by some men who I thought had pretty questionable motives, people who clearly hadn't bothered to read my profile, where you instantly know from their first creepy message that you have nothing in common with them. But you also meet some nice normal guys and I went on some very pleasant dates. Eventually I met my current partner and we've just bought a house together. I got my dog to check him out on our second date and she loved him, and her instincts are usually superior to mine!! :laugh:

A couple of words of caution... A lot of people are on dating websites who are not technically available (read married with kids!!) and who are just looking for a bit on the side. Keep your radar out for those... Also, when I joined a dating website I had just turned 40. I was looking for a man of my own age and found that a good percentage wanted someone who's top age range was at least 10 years younger than themselves. There seemed to be heaps of guys out there who are in their mid 40s and don't consider dating anyone older than 29! I guess the OP is younger so it might not affect you, but to anyone else, don't let that get you down. There are still plenty of men out there who are not just looking for arm-candy half their age.

Good luck. :drinker:
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Basically, as a female you can generally date 2-3 notches above your level (aesthetically speaking), whereas a male generally has to drop a couple notches below his level to have consistent results.

In my experience it's not that men have to settle a couple of notches below their worth ("aesthetically speaking"), but that 'some' men have a rather inflated sense of self esteem, to make them think that, at age 50 with a massive gut and no hair, they can pull the 20-somethings in their bikinis slurping cocktails seductively through a straw... :huh:

And it's not just about looks. I was approached by many a bicep-kisser, where the first message makes it clear that he has achieved nothing other than... bicep..., is completely illiterate, operates in a complete cerebral vacuum but still thinks he's the mutt's nuts! :noway:
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    You don;t need online dating when you are on here

Its like exercise makes people very sexually active lol
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i met my boyfriend online... from mfp actually. bahahaaaaa!~
    that's funny because i met my gf online....on mfp. wait...
  • Shananigans_
    Shananigans_ Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's different than meeting anywhere else. I've had some pretty horrid experiences on POF.com but people tell me to keep trying sigh.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    Yep, still trying.

POF = Plenty Of Frustrations.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    A quick rundown of online dating

If you have the vaj and are even remotely aesthetically pleasing (say 5 and up/10), you get inundated with tons of emails. You pic the attractive pictures, delete the rest. Then check profiles to weed out the ones you reply to.

If you have the d, you send an email to every profile that has a remotely aesthetically pleasing pic hoping to make the cut, and rarely get a reply because the odds just aren't in your favor. However, if you are aesthetic (say 7 and up/10), you will get quite a few messages from 0-3 or so/10 thinking they have a shot.

Call me shallow, but that is the reality as confirmed by personal experience as well as several others, male and female included.
    Can confirm
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    Dude hit the nail right on the head!!
  • Shananigans_
    Shananigans_ Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I call POF plenty of free food lol
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I met my husband on Match. Zoosk and POF seemed to have lots of creeps. If I was interested in someone I would message them for a while and see if I got a creepy/weird vibe from them. If not, go ahead and meet in a public place somewhere and avoid giving too much personal info like where you live and work until you know them better. Have fun!
  • lozzamcc
    lozzamcc Posts: 3
    Options
    I've got my first date through OKcupid on Saturday! I've never been on a 'date' before (it just wasn't a thing that happened here, only on american TV shows) so not sure how well it'll go!

It's difficult to find lesbians in my town as we don't have a gay scene. Online dating makes it a lot easier to find girls who are into girls!
  • Italia2229
    Italia2229 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple of dating websites and always seem to get hit on by guys that are a little bit below my level and a lot of creepers that just want a hook up!! I think I am fairly good lookind individual and have been single for 4 years because I can't find a decent man that knows how to talk to women, online or anywhere else for that matter. You will meet the right person when you are supposed too!! I keep trying to persuade myself of this!! :cry:
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I have tried a couple of dating websites and always seem to get hit on by guys that are a little bit below my level and a lot of creepers that just want a hook up!! I think I am fairly good lookind individual and have been single for 4 years because I can't find a decent man that knows how to talk to women, online or anywhere else for that matter. You will meet the right person when you are supposed too!! I keep trying to persuade myself of this!! :cry:

^^^This :sad: :sad:
  • lifeviabrittney
    lifeviabrittney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used POF and met Brett back in March! We are getting married next May. It was all about honesty and finding a good fit for us! We clicked, obviously! I say try it, but watch out for the weirdos!
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've had mixed results on Match. But it's a different experience for Men vs. Women.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    The first month, you should not answer any incoming messages. Reason? they're likely Trolling for fresh meat. You're going to get swamped with messages by all the guys on the site that troll the "recently joined" listings hoping to catch that girl that's reached the level of pure desperation. Join the site, go ahead and look through messages and browse the profiles of men that pique your interest. Just play it cool and calm though, even with the ones that look good.