Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i'd def. be interested in more of what they have to say on Adrenal Fatigue @skymningen - since that is the latest thing i'm seeing lots of on triathlon forums
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    skymningen wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I work with/for a bunch of scientists studying the microbiome of the gut. So to speak, I am in the "scientific peer group" of this topic. Some of them are immunologists, others nutritionists (the type that studied at university, not took some weekend course), many are different types of medical doctors or microbiologists. I will try and collect what they would say about this stuff.
    Can you give some examples of what you're being 'taught'?

Candida Overgrowth Was a "thing" in the 90s. There still is a common test for candida and other fungi in regular fecal samplings. But it is only a problem if it is a really extensive overgrowth. This is rare and usually only occurs after heavy antibiotic or steroid treatments. I had it myself as a child, after extensive treatment for a bad case of pertussis. There is no chance to get rid of it without taking fungicide medication if you really have it. But as I said it is rare. It cannot be caused nor treated by nutrition only.
    , Leaky Gut Syndrome, It is a name for a multitude of symptoms. Some of them are symptoms of an actual problem (I wouldn't say disease, but a preliminary to disease) of the gut. Others are not evidently connected with gut health. I would advise people to get an actual diagnosis if they feel something is wrong. Some of these symptoms are early symptoms of colon cancer. Your gut is not leaking though. If it would, you'd be in trouble (both literally leaking and "immunologically" leaking)
    Adrenal Fatigue Most likely a type of burnout. Burnout has psychosomatic symptoms. If the proper diagnosis is partially 'mental', that does not make it less of a disease.
    , Detox, Your body does detox itself all day every day. It does not need help doing that, other than being kept properly hydrated. Actually, many detox mixes have made people severely ill by... interfering with the normal kidney function.
    Connection between gut microbiome and brain health, As a microbiome person: Yeah, That's definitely one of the new buzzes in the field. And there is something to it. The gut has a lot of receptors that do only occur in higher numbers in the brain. Also, evidently, bad nutrition makes people mentally unhealthy. There is something here. But we are still doing basic science here, no results available which would be usable for treatment.
    Refined Sugar causing disease and nutritional deficiencies, birth control pills depleting B vitamins and causing copper toxicity, Free radicals causing disease and accelerated aging, lack of hydrochloric acid causing mineral and vitamin deficiencies as well as digestive symptoms There is some base truth in all of those. Not saying they are true, but they are some kind of "science myth" based on a misunderstanding of (sometimes still) badly understood biochemistry. But it is usually very far fetched. You would have to ingest incredible doses of the culprits to have a sure effect. And then you do have another underlying problem. (Confounding factors is also an important thing here...)
    , soy being bad for hormonal health, The amount of hormone you ingest from soy is not going to make a difference. Unless of course you eat tons of soy. But then the malnutrition from lacking other nutrients will make much more of a difference.
    regular dairy being bad for general health, I can't even really figure where this came from. If you are lactose intolerant, sure. But again, in all other cases, as long as you have a balanced diet you are not going wrong with any single part of it.
    the negative effects of GMO's, heavy metals in water and food.... Your body does not know how the gene entered the organism it is eating. If the gene should not be there and the product of the gene should not be ingested that is of course a problem, but a different one. I can also breed this gene into the organism old style, it is just going to take me much longer. The heavy metals are there, for sure. We actually need some of them in very low amounts. If they are there in too high amounts, that is a contamination and is usually heavily controlled by fod safety laboratories.
    The list could go on and on

Thank you so much for stepping up with your expertise. When someone really knows something they stand out from the crowd.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’ve been pondering the origin of science and how it has transformed health. At its essence science is keeping careful record of results. Over time we have built up a short list of what works, and what doesn’t.

In the absence of careful records, what do we have? A lot of noise. If all we hear is noise, what to believe? Tradition, anecdote, word of mouth, charlatans, and the loud. Sometimes the noisy cures will have a palliative effect, but the results will be inconsistent.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I work with/for a bunch of scientists studying the microbiome of the gut. So to speak, I am in the "scientific peer group" of this topic. Some of them are immunologists, others nutritionists (the type that studied at university, not took some weekend course), many are different types of medical doctors or microbiologists. I will try and collect what they would say about this stuff.

Candida Overgrowth Was a "thing" in the 90s. There still is a common test for candida and other fungi in regular fecal samplings. But it is only a problem if it is a really extensive overgrowth. This is rare and usually only occurs after heavy antibiotic or steroid treatments. I had it myself as a child, after extensive treatment for a bad case of pertussis. There is no chance to get rid of it without taking fungicide medication if you really have it. But as I said it is rare. It cannot be caused nor treated by nutrition only.
    , Leaky Gut Syndrome, It is a name for a multitude of symptoms. Some of them are symptoms of an actual problem (I wouldn't say disease, but a preliminary to disease) of the gut. Others are not evidently connected with gut health. I would advise people to get an actual diagnosis if they feel something is wrong. Some of these symptoms are early symptoms of colon cancer. Your gut is not leaking though. If it would, you'd be in trouble (both literally leaking and "immunologically" leaking)
    Adrenal Fatigue Most likely a type of burnout. Burnout has psychosomatic symptoms. If the proper diagnosis is partially 'mental', that does not make it less of a disease.
    , Detox, Your body does detox itself all day every day. It does not need help doing that, other than being kept properly hydrated. Actually, many detox mixes have made people severely ill by... interfering with the normal kidney function.
    Connection between gut microbiome and brain health, As a microbiome person: Yeah, That's definitely one of the new buzzes in the field. And there is something to it. The gut has a lot of receptors that do only occur in higher numbers in the brain. Also, evidently, bad nutrition makes people mentally unhealthy. There is something here. But we are still doing basic science here, no results available which would be usable for treatment.
    Refined Sugar causing disease and nutritional deficiencies, birth control pills depleting B vitamins and causing copper toxicity, Free radicals causing disease and accelerated aging, lack of hydrochloric acid causing mineral and vitamin deficiencies as well as digestive symptoms There is some base truth in all of those. Not saying they are true, but they are some kind of "science myth" based on a misunderstanding of (sometimes still) badly understood biochemistry. But it is usually very far fetched. You would have to ingest incredible doses of the culprits to have a sure effect. And then you do have another underlying problem. (Confounding factors is also an important thing here...)
    , soy being bad for hormonal health, The amount of hormone you ingest from soy is not going to make a difference. Unless of course you eat tons of soy. But then the malnutrition from lacking other nutrients will make much more of a difference.
    regular dairy being bad for general health, I can't even really figure where this came from. If you are lactose intolerant, sure. But again, in all other cases, as long as you have a balanced diet you are not going wrong with any single part of it.
    the negative effects of GMO's, heavy metals in water and food.... Your body does not know how the gene entered the organism it is eating. If the gene should not be there and the product of the gene should not be ingested that is of course a problem, but a different one. I can also breed this gene into the organism old style, it is just going to take me much longer. The heavy metals are there, for sure. We actually need some of them in very low amounts. If they are there in too high amounts, that is a contamination and is usually heavily controlled by fod safety laboratories.
    Science changes all the time and I for one would like to hear more on microbiome study. It's still in it's infancy so let's see how progression on it goes. Again, can't totally discount it yet, but I can't truly call it woo yet either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TenderBlender667
    TenderBlender667 Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Thank you for clearing a lot of things up.

I have found some scientific data related to Leaky Gut and Candida, but couldn't find anything on Adrenal Fatigue

Leaky gut:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28328972
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28342610
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28049662
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2886850/
    Candida Overgrowth: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27590517
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28799153
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28578302
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @jesspen91 wrote: »

Was it this?

Oh man, I have to watch a movie now. Haha. I'll check it out, but my future trust in you is depending on the quality of the video. :p

ETA- Turned out I really liked it. Well-played.
This discussion has been closed.